Author Topic: FAO the Irish on here  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
FAO the Irish on here
« on: April 23, 2004, 12:24:41 am »
There's a slight chance I could be moving to Ireland later this year. Haven't been there before. :)

Naturally I'd have to move out of my flat here in Stockholm. But where to? I'd like to get a feel for the costs and what to expect. Where do I look for apartments on the net? Any good links? I'd be looking to rent a place. Other stuff, like what's included in the rent and what's not, are also helpful.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
Re: FAO the Irish on here
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 01:07:41 am »
pretty much like gb

but with anti-smokin (all styles) gestapo.

Lovely people

Lovely place

N & S
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 01:25:41 am »
Great about the smoking ban! Sounds like a place for me, as I don't smoke.

Still got a problem though. I don't know much about the costs of living in GB. 

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 08:55:53 am »
What part of Ireland do you intend moving to?

Northern Ireland still uses Sterling as the currency whilst Southern Ireland uses the Euro.

Going to be a lot handier getting to Anfield, where ever you end up!  ;)

Roddysul

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 09:32:36 am »
if you're moving to Dublin be prepared to sell a kidney if you want anywhere to live

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 10:48:47 am »
if you're moving to Dublin be prepared to sell a kidney if you want anywhere to live

.. says a buyer.

Very expensive to live in Ireland. Petrol is ridiculous, a pint nearly 3 quid, and even the hay for your horse and cart is WAY over the top.

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 10:53:34 am »

Very expensive to live in Ireland. Petrol is ridiculous, a pint nearly 3 quid, and even the hay for your horse and cart is WAY over the top.

£3-00 a pint, that's half price compared to Sweden.

Only paying £2-10 on average up North.

Sold my horse and cart to get running water put in. ;)

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 11:05:54 am »
be prepared to pay 4 euro a pint, house prices are crazy, youll probably end up in the shit end of the countryside to afford a house cause dublin is mental anything up to 600,000 euro for a detatched four bedroom house, fucking no smoking allowed anywhere, and now there thinking of putting taxes on junk food, our government are all back handed basterds and screw you for every penny you earn.....but the people are nice  ;D

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 11:06:16 am »
deffo alot cheaper than sweden.

if you go anywhere apart from dublin you won't have to sell a kidney.

Roddysul

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 11:28:46 am »
..and the girls are gorgeous

Offline AndyJ

• If it wasn't for RAWK I'd jack in work
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 01:59:54 pm »

if you go anywhere apart from dublin you won't have to sell a kidney.

Any of the cities are expensive - Galway, Cork and Dublin can all be pricey and if you want somewhere decent in Belfast be prepared to pay. Ireland has gone mental in the last 10 years. I had to sell me barn to pay for my boat ticket just to get over here!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 11:47:41 pm »
be prepared to pay 4 euro a pint, house prices are crazy, youll probably end up in the shit end of the countryside to afford a house cause dublin is mental anything up to 600,000 euro for a detatched four bedroom house, fucking no smoking allowed anywhere, and now there thinking of putting taxes on junk food, our government are all back handed basterds and screw you for every penny you earn.....but the people are nice  ;D

€4 is less than I'm used to, so that could work out. As for the government screwing you for every penny, I think that system was invented over here. One of our biggest exports. Unlike over here though, your guys seem to have their good sides. I like the smoking ban. So far so good. But I plan to keep my kidneys so the living will become a problem.

Why has Ireland gone mental in the last 10 years? What's happened? I know there's been an economical boom, but what has caused it?

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 12:53:54 am »

£3-00 a pint, that's half price compared to Sweden.

Only paying £2-10 on average up North.

Sold my horse and cart to get running water put in. ;)

£1 to £1-70 a pint here  ;D ;D ;D
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline buckshee

• Sponsored by Apache Pizzas, Drumcondra
  • Kopite
  • I don't have a drink problem....honestly
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 08:11:37 pm »
We had the "Celtic tiger" here for a number of years and wages went bananas as did the price of everything from a mars bar to a new house or car.  Also the changeover from the old currency to the Euro resulted in lots of prices being rounded upwards it would appear.

Houses and apartments to rent are expensive in Dublin but are on the way down for the last 6 months or so.   This site is great for finding accomodation buts its Dublin only

http://www.daft.ie/

Average rent for say a three bed semi in a nice Dublin Suburb is approx €1200.00
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 08:13:44 pm by buckshee »
"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" - Oscar Wilde

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 11:25:23 pm »
Why has Ireland gone mental in the last 10 years? What's happened? I know there's been an economical boom, but what has caused it?

Some will tell you it was the 1990 World Cup.  ;)

Everything's very expensive compared to other European countries, what else do you want to know?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 01:40:21 am »
 :o  My God, you need a good salary to afford Dublin! Found out the job is located in Limerick, so guess that makes it more affordable.

What's Limerick like? :)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 01:43:20 am »
There was a young lad from Sweden
Who fell playing football, and was bleedin'
He told his mum,
She smacked his bum,
And suggested he take up reading
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2004, 01:49:18 am »
There was a young lad from Sweden
Who fell playing football, and was bleedin'
He told his mum,
She smacked his bum,
And suggested he take up reading

;D

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2004, 12:16:18 pm »
Limerick- Known to all and sundry as "Stab City", but don't let that put you off!  ;)
A much smaller city than Dublin, Cork or Belfast, but with that you get the benefits of cheaper rent/ house prices, cheaper booze,food etc than the bigger cities. There's lots of students about during term time, University of Limerick and Limerick IT, so the best time to look for a place is always going to be after May and before August, out of term.
www.daft.ie has properties listed for Limerick, but I'd say the best place to look would be local newspapers, can't get any links for you yet, but if I do , I'll send them to you....

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2004, 12:40:53 pm »
Isn't Limerick also the drug capital of ireland?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2004, 12:54:20 pm »
Isn't Limerick also the drug capital of ireland?

There a drugland sub-culture, similar to many other cities, but with Limerick the irish media sensationalise murders in Southill and O'Malley Park, play things up as drugland recriminations reaching epidemic proportions, and dub Limerick as "stab city" among other names. 

(incidentally, the few murders that did happen a few years ago, were shootings  ;) ;D )

Honestly though, gnurglan, you'll like living in Limerick...

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2004, 12:59:41 pm »

There a drugland sub-culture, similar to many other cities, but with Limerick the irish media sensationalise murders in Southill and O'Malley Park, play things up as drugland recriminations reaching epidemic proportions, and dub Limerick as "stab city" among other names. 

(incidentally, the few murders that did happen a few years ago, were shootings  ;) ;D )

Honestly though, gnurglan, you'll like living in Limerick...

Cue gnurglan going to buy a stabproof and bulletproof jacket  :P

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2004, 01:21:24 pm »
 ;) ;) ;)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2004, 01:25:07 pm »
 ;D

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2004, 01:25:13 pm »
I might be able to help too with some local contacts, if you have questions about where to live in or around Limerick.  Am in that area every few months, just a short ride away from Limerick.
Never give up

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2004, 05:06:50 pm »
Mc Donald's in Limerick is a kip.  ;)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2004, 08:19:57 pm »
Thanks for the info, but maybe I should consider it a good thing it's been quiet on the job front.  :-\

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2004, 02:50:22 am »

He's moving from Sweden (ye of 5 quid pints) remember  ;D

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2004, 02:51:09 am »
..and the girls are gorgeous

He's moving from Sweden remember  ;D :P :lickin

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2004, 12:30:59 am »
Looks like I'm still in with a chance for that job. I'm scheduled for a telephone interview. I think I need to know some of the basic, but important stuff.

How many weeks of holidays do you have in Ireland?
How many hours/week is it normally?
Flexible working hours?
How much tax do you pay?

Let's start with that. :)

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2004, 08:40:39 am »
1) Standard holidays are 20/21 days per year by law
2) Normal working week is somewhere between 36 and 42 hours. Say 9 to 5.30pm
3) Depends on the company, most decent places are flexible, but some multi-nationals can be fussy.
4) First tax bracket is 20% for yearly salary of upto 28,000 euros (if you're single,without kids) and 42% for the balance of your salary above that mark.

hope that helps!  ;D

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 12:21:22 pm »
And in case it doesn't last...
redundancy packages are more in line with Europe than the UK and employee legislation is quite advantageous too.
Never give up

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2004, 11:25:51 pm »
Thanks. :D 
Will use those % numbers to see what kind of salary I should be asking for. Had an interview over the phone today, so the job is still on. What the hell have I gotten myself into?

What about health care? Is it included in the taxes, do you normally sign up with some package at each company, do you pay for one outside yourself,...?

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2004, 11:09:55 am »
You're asking all the right questions anyway, so you must really want to move over here!
With health care, there are 2 providers, VHI and BUPA.
You can buy you're own health plans according to your needs/means, or depending on the company, there is often a "group scheme" that gets you maybe 10 or 20% off selected packages.

Depends on the job you're going for though, whether there are benefits or not. Some jobs obviously include a company car or your mobile phone bill paid, or a health plan.

FYI - www.vhi.ie    www.bupaireland.ie

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2004, 11:28:12 pm »
Cheers, Micky!

Offline Micky_G

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2004, 10:32:59 am »
most welcome!  ;D

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 3, 2023, 03:27:52 pm »
Alright Guys

My brother moved over to Northern Ireland a few years back.  He's just North of Enniskillen out in the sticks. 

Off over to visit him for the first time in June.  Going from Wed-Sun and really looking forward to it.  Going over in my own motor Holyhead>Dublin.  Then coming back Belfast>Stranraer.

To break up the stay and give him a bit of peace.  We are heading over to Donegal on the Friday for the day and over night stay.   Already booked a hotel and a boat tour around the Sliabh Liag Cliffs, which looks great.

So as we are mixing both NI and Ireland, we get to see a little bit of the best of both worlds.

Even though he lives there, my brother isn't really into all that tourist stuff so probably wont have much advice other than his local pubs.

So I'm just looking for some recommendations please?

1. A really good Donegal restaurant to book for the Friday evening.  Ideally a top class place that does good seafood if poss.
2.  Other good sites or places to go visit around the Enniskillen area.  Don't mind an hour or so's drive but don't want to stray too far.

cheers :wave

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2023, 09:57:04 am »
A question for any Reds based in/near Cork.

I'm heading over for the weekend (well, just a day actually but that's another story).

Want to park near on the road, near to the city, ideally for free. Any ideas where is best?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2023, 01:35:04 pm »
A question for any Reds based in/near Cork.

I'm heading over for the weekend (well, just a day actually but that's another story).

Want to park near on the road, near to the city, ideally for free. Any ideas where is best?

Near on? Make your mind up

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.