Author Topic: The FA Cup.  (Read 23983 times)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Re: The FA Cup.
« Reply #680 on: January 9, 2022, 11:13:59 pm »
It seems from TV coverage (and me being at both Burnley-Huddersfield and Liverpool today) that nobody in the Championship is bothered about the cup, such were the sparse attendances. It's very odd. Probably another symptom of the disease that is the richest game in world football being the Championship playoff final.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: April 18, 2024, 11:32:03 am »
Replays scrapped and 5th round moved back to weekends
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #682 on: April 18, 2024, 11:34:31 am »

Nice one.

Could we get rid of the two-leg SFs in the League Cup too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #683 on: April 18, 2024, 11:41:41 am »
Nice one.

Could we get rid of the two-leg SFs in the League Cup too.

Can’t believe this hasn’t been done yet to be honest

The scrapping of replays is nothing but a good thing

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #684 on: April 18, 2024, 11:53:13 am »

"in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions"... ugh, another death knell for English footy, especially for those clubs who've survived or even strengthened over the years from those lucrative replays, the excitement, the rewards of earning that 'big game' replay... taken away because because big clubs with their obviously small first team squads and PL2 squads, and promising youngsters can't cope with a likely 2/3 extra matches in the calendar... and so tough shit for hundreds of other clubs that play in the competition.

From our POV, and in complete contrast to the above (and also hypocritical of me), probably a good thing, and something the big clubs often involved in Europe have been pressing for, for some time.

^ 'FA Cup replays to be scrapped from the first round onwards in 2024-25':-

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68844583
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #685 on: April 18, 2024, 11:54:42 am »
What does this part mean ...

"The fourth and fifth rounds and the quarter-finals all will be exclusive of Premier League fixtures for the first time, and the fourth round will have an extended window from Friday to Wednesday to allow fans to watch consecutive days of Emirates FA Cup football."
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #686 on: April 18, 2024, 11:57:08 am »
"in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded UEFA competitions"... ugh, another death knell for English footy, especially for those clubs who've survived or even strengthened over the years from those lucrative replays, the excitement, the rewards of earning that 'big game' replay... taken away because because big clubs with their obviously small first team squads and PL2 squads, and promising youngsters can't cope with a likely 2/3 extra matches in the calendar... and so tough shit for hundreds of other clubs that play in the competition.

From our POV, and in complete contrast to the above (and also hypocritical of me), probably a good thing, and something the big clubs often involved in Europe have been pressing for, for some time.

Agree with all that Jase, good for lfc shit for Accrington Stanley
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #687 on: April 18, 2024, 12:06:49 pm »
What does this part mean ...

"The fourth and fifth rounds and the quarter-finals all will be exclusive of Premier League fixtures for the first time, and the fourth round will have an extended window from Friday to Wednesday to allow fans to watch consecutive days of Emirates FA Cup football."

There wont be any premier league games played alongside FA cup games. It will just be a FA cup weekend

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: April 18, 2024, 12:25:58 pm »

Exactly. This is the Premier League looking after the Premier League.

It stinks. Why not oppose the ridiculous changes to the CL format or the stupid fucking Nations League fixtures instead?

Offline Redknight60

• Anny Roader
« Reply #689 on: April 18, 2024, 12:41:56 pm »
Give the lower league club the home draw then. Teams in the same league go with the draw.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #690 on: April 18, 2024, 01:22:32 pm »
Give the lower league club the home draw then. Teams in the same league go with the draw.

Is it Germany or France that has the team in the lower league given the home draw? For all the magic of the cup crap, the DFB Pokal seems to have a much more exciting product with lots more smaller teams advancing deep into the competition.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #691 on: April 18, 2024, 01:27:31 pm »
Good news, don't really get the complaints from little clubs over replays, they already get a a sell out and tv game money anyway from the 1st game. A good bonus if you get one but no business should be run on "yeah we might get a big fa cup game and a replay one of these years".

Funny thing is more and more clubs in the lower leagues rest players for this anyway so the complaining is a bit of a cheek!

Offline Redknight60

• Anny Roader
« Reply #692 on: April 18, 2024, 01:43:18 pm »

Didn't really think this through. It is of course the away ties to pl teams that are lucrative to the lower league sides.

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: April 18, 2024, 01:53:24 pm »
Is it Germany or France that has the team in the lower league given the home draw? For all the magic of the cup crap, the DFB Pokal seems to have a much more exciting product with lots more smaller teams advancing deep into the competition.

It could be both. Spain might do it too?

Just this season in the DFB Pokal, 3rd division Saarbrucken reached the semi final beating 2nd division Karlsruher, Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt and Monchengladbach. They lost in the semi to Kaiserslautern of the 2nd division who will now play Leverkusen in the final.
3rd division or amateur teams are always the home draw.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: April 18, 2024, 02:30:22 pm »
Absolute disgrace!
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline coct3au

• twins with arsefinger
  • Kopite
« Reply #695 on: April 18, 2024, 02:51:19 pm »
I might not have thought it through fully, but I'm reasonably relaxed about no replays. Helps with the fixture list, and means that every match is a knife-edge, finishing with a winner and a loser, which is the point/attraction of cups, vs leagues. Also, surely it means giant-killings are more likely? At the moment, whenever a plucky underdog drags it to a replay, you know they're almost certainly not going to be able to pull it off twice. Now, if a big team gambles on playing its reserves, there's no "get out of jail" second attempt - the underdogs only have to draw one match to get a crack at penalty roulette.

Moving the date of the Final is crap, though. The league is usually decided before the last day, so now the final weekend of footballl before the summer is usually going to be a largely meaningless set of matches, rather than a guaranteed meaningful apex fixture. It's like going out for a meal, and asking for your dessert to be sent out between your starter and main course "to save time". WRONG!

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #696 on: April 18, 2024, 03:39:33 pm »

'EFL board meeting currently taking place after bombshell FA/PL statement on scrapping FA Cup replays this morning. Awaiting confirmation but sounds very much like there was a lack of proper consultation. Grubby, murky business if so.' - https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1780930295358714290

'[Andy Holt] Why would the hapless @FA scrap early round replays that can be lucrative to minnows? A chance to change their financial fortunes? Against @EFL clubs? I expect nothing less of Masters and Co @premierleague buying the game into a format that suits their needs. As usual.' - https://twitter.com/AndyhHolt/status/1780912393784041936 (Accrington Stanley chairman)

'An absolute disgrace’: decision to scrap FA Cup replays met with fury':-

A deal concocted in corridors of power, says Tranmere’s Palios
Winter break also removed for longer period between seasons

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/18/fa-cup-replays-and-premier-league-winter-break-scrapped-from-next-season

'FA Cup replay changes 'a total lack of respect for football pyramid'':-

The Football Association and Premier League have been accused of "a total lack of respect for the football pyramid" over changes to the FA Cup.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68851138

« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 11:49:10 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #697 on: April 18, 2024, 04:20:45 pm »
I think replays are a bit archaic to be honest so I won’t miss them.  If Plymouth draw Hartlepool in the cup, how many away fans would want a midweek replay?  Games are so much more exciting if they are decided on the day.

There’s an issue with how the wealth is distributed in football but I don’t see getting rid of replays as some big conspiracy in favour of the bigger teams.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #698 on: April 18, 2024, 04:26:26 pm »

Then we’ll have people moaning they miss out on the lucrative away days?

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #699 on: April 18, 2024, 04:26:35 pm »
No Premier League club wants a replay that's for sure. No Championship club either.

It's a bit harsh on lower league teams for when they get a big tie but it's a rare occurrence for a club anyway to get a replay against a big team, it's not something you can bank on. No replays mean more chances of a shock as well if it's straight to pens. As Klopp's suggested in the past, increase the prize money for lower league clubs as an incentive.

Replays are a bit of a relic ultimately. They don't have them in the FA Trophy or Vase anymore in non league, or any of the EFL competitions, so why should they have them in the FA Cup?

The annoying thing is they're only doing away with them to fit in even more games elsewhere. We've had no replays this season - ergo no extra games anyway. Now we'll have to play those extra games thanks to UEFA.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: April 18, 2024, 04:57:19 pm »
Stupid decision for the whole of the game.  Big fish screwing the little ones over once more.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #701 on: April 18, 2024, 05:07:19 pm »
Stupid decision for the whole of the game.  Big fish screwing the little ones over once more.

Not really. Smaller clubs should bemoan the lack of transfer of wealth down the pyramid not winning a lottery ticket by drawing a PL club and then getting a replay. Set the competition up more like the Pokal in Germany and these clubs have a real chance of progressing in the competition and earning more money, rather than getting to play the reserves of a PL side twice

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: April 18, 2024, 06:18:21 pm »
Doesn't sit right with me that they increase the volume of Champions League games in a season but cut potential FA Cup games. I hate replays when they happen but it would be selfish to want them to be removed.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #703 on: April 18, 2024, 06:21:14 pm »

That's basically football now, terrible decision.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: April 18, 2024, 06:24:35 pm »

Everton fans seem upset.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2024, 06:31:11 pm »
I'm waiting for Gary Neville to tell me what to think

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2024, 06:31:40 pm »
Hate the final being before the end of the season, should be the traditional showpiece at the end, before the CL final weekend. Just feels weird otherwise.

Just seen they're scrapping the winter break too after all of two seasons is it? 🙄
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2024, 06:34:52 pm »
I think it's a horrible decision. Sack off the Nations League or any number of pointless international friendlies if the big clubs aren't happy with the amount of games they have to play.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2024, 06:43:40 pm »
Then we’ll have people moaning they miss out on the lucrative away days?

Or give them the choice to decide ?

If I was a fan of a lower league side id want to play Liverpool/United at home as % wise that is your best chance of winning.

Football fans want to see their team win and not brag about a £1m cup tie cos as a fan you see jack shit of it anyway !

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2024, 06:58:18 pm »

yep.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #710 on: April 19, 2024, 07:01:18 am »
Hate the final being before the end of the season, should be the traditional showpiece at the end, before the CL final weekend. Just feels weird otherwise.

Just seen they're scrapping the winter break too after all of two seasons is it? 🙄

Final before the end of the season and semis at Wembley damages the cup a lot more

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #711 on: April 19, 2024, 07:48:09 am »
I've never liked replays so getting rid of them is great imo. The way they have gone about it is embarrassing though and clearly shows lack of respect for everyone except the big clubs.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #712 on: April 19, 2024, 08:23:24 am »
I think it's a horrible decision. Sack off the Nations League or any number of pointless international friendlies if the big clubs aren't happy with the amount of games they have to play.
Agreed, itll only be replaced with trips to dubai/aus etc

I see the league cup being cancelled altogether, or becoming a competition for teams not in europe.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #713 on: April 19, 2024, 09:04:30 am »
Replays do make a mockery of particularly the 3rd round.

When a lot of managers and teans would rather go out than face a replay then it's not helpful.

Straight to pens like the League Cup adds more jeopardy.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #714 on: April 19, 2024, 10:26:09 am »

'FA Cup replays fall victim to scramble for cash and chaotic decision-making':-

FA’s latest move reflects a further weakening of the game’s heritage and will only boost the argument for independent regulation

www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/19/fa-cup-replays-fall-victim-to-scramble-for-cash-and-chaotic-decision-making

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #715 on: April 19, 2024, 11:31:32 am »
I didn't realise it was being applied in earlier rounds too. I don't agree with that.  I thought it was just 4th round onwards.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2024, 11:34:31 am »
Shocker of a decision. The more they change, the more they remove the soul of the sport.

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #717 on: April 19, 2024, 11:49:58 am »

I think they should get rid of both, or limit international friendlies per country to once every couple of years or so. They should also never have added extra group games to the European competitions but we all know why they have.

From my perspective, I'm not massively bothered about them doing away with replays (personally think it'd be better if they kept them up until the 3rd round as that's arguably the most famous round of the competition in a sense, smaller sides looking for a big day), but the whole thing pretty obviously stinks and I'll never understand why anyone would go to bat for the Prem clubs who've obviously had the competition changed to suit their needs.

So finishing games on the day/night ... that's how I think it should be anyway but we'll see what changes follow in the future. Next it'll probably be straight to pens after 90 like it is in the League Cup. Never been a fan of that either, just cheapens the whole thing for me. Oh, and still they persist with semi-finals at Wembley even though there's an increasing number of large capacity venues across the country.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: April 19, 2024, 12:06:23 pm »
'FA Cup replays fall victim to scramble for cash and chaotic decision-making':-

FA’s latest move reflects a further weakening of the game’s heritage and will only boost the argument for independent regulation

www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/19/fa-cup-replays-fall-victim-to-scramble-for-cash-and-chaotic-decision-making

It's not the hill to die on for the lower leagues. Got plenty to be pissed off about in general.

Championship clubs don't want replays either.

Non league clubs love replays so much they've got rid of them for their own competitions.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2024, 12:10:15 pm »
Replays do make a mockery of particularly the 3rd round.

When a lot of managers and teans would rather go out than face a replay then it's not helpful.

Straight to pens like the League Cup adds more jeopardy.

This is the first baby steps to changing things.

Next League Cup final will be overseas.

Then we will see PL games played China, Middle East and USA that will happen in the next 15/20 years imo.