Author Topic: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe  (Read 336110 times)

Offline sirKennyDaggers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Torres - The Reasons for Leaving - by Sid Lowe
« Reply #880 on: February 5, 2011, 11:28:29 pm »
Fuck the freckle faced tart.
Time to move on.

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: February 5, 2011, 11:30:17 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, Rossi, but what/where is the "SK" thread?
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #882 on: February 5, 2011, 11:30:37 pm »
Why do we hate Nottingham Forest?

You know how we have that song:

"We hate Nottingham Forest, We hate Everton too, We have Man Utd., but Liverpool we love you!"

They used to be rivals at the top, plus they were fucking c*nts.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: February 5, 2011, 11:33:47 pm »
All this about Torres sulking for the majority of the season, I think it's a very revisionist point of view.

Roy Hodgson's tactics were awful, he was isolated, feeding off long balls, receiving little to no support, playing with his back to goal. He wasn't sulking, he just couldn't function in a team like that. As soon as Kenny came in and we started playing the ball on the floor and he had players backing him up his form changed.

I'm not saying we should forgive him for walking out on us but to say that he sulked all year seems like rubbish to me.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #884 on: February 5, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »
What about last year?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #885 on: February 5, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »
It's not that he decided to leave that gets most people, and all the reasons given by those who defend his decision to leave make sense from his perspective, but Fuck me If there was a book written on how not to leave a club he must have read it, the timing, the club chosen, the crass heartless comments,tell of a cold calculating individual, without even the sense to be polite and sensible about the situation your leaving behind, you may, If offered a better job with better prospects except it gratefully, but would you leave that job with no notice given of your finishing, just up and go in a cold and calculated effort to back your old job into  a sticky corner, then when you get to the new job talk disrespectfuly, in a cold detached manner so much as to be insulting to your former employers and workmates, considering you gave the three previous years  singing the praises of that employment, even If it where only to protect the carefully manufactured  caring image you had sculpted for yourself???
NO..... because that would be a absolute shithouse way to act, not to mention ridiculessly stupid and counterproductive to your false image
to quote banannaramma
"it ain't what you do its the way that you do it"
please he's gone Liverpool lives on, can we drop this fucker like a hot rock and abide by the adage that no one is bigger than the club and forget this fucker, I'm well over it, were on the up, enjoy it.

Offline adamski29

• Kopite
    • limerick sliding wardrobes
« Reply #886 on: February 5, 2011, 11:42:51 pm »
It's not that he decided to leave that gets most people, and all the reasons given by those who defend his decision to leave make sense from his perspective, but Fuck me If there was a book written on how not to leave a club he must have read it, the timing, the club chosen, the crass heartless comments,tell of a cold calculating individual, without even the sense to be polite and sensible about the situation your leaving behind, you may, If offered a better job with better prospects except it gratefully, but would you leave that job with no notice given of your finishing, just up and go in a cold and calculated effort to back your old job into  a sticky corner, then when you get to the new job talk disrespectfuly, in a cold detached manner so much as to be insulting to your former employers and workmates, considering you gave the three previous years  singing the praises of that employment, even If it where only to protect the carefully manufactured  caring image you had sculpted for yourself???
NO..... because that would be a absolute shithouse way to act, not to mention ridiculessly stupid and counterproductive to your false image
to quote banannaramma
"it ain't what you do its the way that you do it"
please he's gone Liverpool lives on, can we drop this fucker like a hot rock and abide by the adage that no one is bigger than the club and forget this fucker, I'm well over it, were on the up, enjoy it.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #887 on: February 5, 2011, 11:53:15 pm »
All this about Torres sulking for the majority of the season, I think it's a very revisionist point of view.

Roy Hodgson's tactics were awful, he was isolated, feeding off long balls, receiving little to no support, playing with his back to goal. He wasn't sulking, he just couldn't function in a team like that. As soon as Kenny came in and we started playing the ball on the floor and he had players backing him up his form changed.

I'm not saying we should forgive him for walking out on us but to say that he sulked all year seems like rubbish to me.
So far only Rafa has shown he knows how to get the best out of Torres. Given time maybe Kenny would have too. The big mistake here was in not appointing Kenny when Rafa was sacked. Who in their right mind would have chosen Hodgepodge?  It's like ignoring the sirloin stake on your plate and eating reconstituted mince instead.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: February 5, 2011, 11:57:26 pm »
Forgive my ignorance, Rossi, but what/where is the "SK" thread?

Spying Kop?

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #889 on: February 5, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
Fernando Torres has claimed his desire to leave Liverpool was motivated by the club breaking promises made to him about investment in the team.

The Spain striker joined Chelsea for £50 million on transfer deadline day and is hoping to start against his former club at Stamford Bridge this afternoon. That was a scenario that he had dismissed out of hand while he was a Liverpool player.

He had claimed he would not play for another club in England but changed his mind when Liverpool not only failed to recruit the players that would have allowed them to compete for trophies but sold the influential Xabi Alonso to Real Madrid and Javier Mascherano to Barcelona.

“I said that at that moment, I didn’t think I would play for another club — because at that moment Liverpool were giving me what they promised ... but not now,” he said.

“I think one of the important points is in my first two seasons at the club, they played in the semi-finals of Champions League and finished second in the Premier League, very close to Manchester United.

“Then we were very, very close to being one of the top teams for a long time because everyone was together and everyone was moving in the right direction. But when you let Alonso and Mascherano leave, that is a clear message. It was important, not so much for me, but for the club.

I think the old owners were trying to sell the club for too long and during that time the team was being weakened because we were not focusing on the team.”

While the Fenway Sports Group promised to restore Liverpool’s ability to compete with the best after their takeover, Torres argued that this process would take too long.

“I understand this period of transition is going to be slow,” he said. “I am sure Dalglish and the club are going to do a very good job but I still keep thinking that they need more time.”

Torres hopes that he can recover his best form for his new club, admitting that he had been underperforming for some time at Anfield.

“I didn’t have a pre-season — and [that affects you] not just physically but mentally. There were too many things to think about, too many promises, too many false hopes — but I am responsible for my form. The only thing I have to do is play football and I accept that my performances were not the best, I realise that.

“It’s always difficult to change the manager. [Rafael] Benitez was five years at Liverpool. [Roy] Hodgson came with his ideas about football, his tactics and methods. I think, maybe we never understood what Hodgson wanted or Hodgson never understood us.

That is not his fault, he’s a great man and great manager. After Kenny Dalglish came there was definitely some new hope for the fans because he knew the club, because he did great things as a player and a manager for the club, everyone was excited about that.

"I don’t know, had he been manager in the summer, if things would have been different — maybe or maybe not.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8304332/Fernando-Torres-driven-from-Liverpool-by-broken-promises.html

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #890 on: February 6, 2011, 12:08:56 am »
Excellent and thoughtful post.

You know when other people say Liverpool fans are the most knowledgeable in the game, do you think they are referring to people like Redeo or to fans who put their fingers in their ears and say over and over again "I dont care what you have to say/what the evidence is/ Torres is a money chasing lying sellout judas".
Especially when the evidence supports him being a money chasing, lying, sellout, Judas.
At the end of the day it's who you choose to believe.
On the one hand you've got the Torres camp who haven't actually been able to come up with a coherent argument about when all this took place. For instance his Dad said discussions were from last summer, his agent as soon as he heard about Chelsea's interest last week, and Torres saying 12 days ago.

Or Kenny who says he was less than impressed with Torres timing.
I'll believe Kenny.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline The Rawker

• Main Stander
  • MUYA
Fuck it all and fuckin' no regrets

\m/

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #892 on: February 6, 2011, 12:29:08 am »
I don't know about you lot, but the thought of Carroll as a battering ram, with Suarez lurking between the lines and probing on the periphery, causes mass phallus inflation within me. Much more than Nando ever did. Like I said earlier, we came out on top with this deal. Our strike force just went up a notch. And I'd also like to say that I look forward to seeing N'Gog participating in what promises to be a very potent strike force for us. His movement (and his often criminally underrated ability to bring our our forward moving midfielders/fullbacks into play) also gives me shaftal engorgement
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline sexybabysoo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #893 on: February 6, 2011, 12:31:36 am »
Walking out isn't something that turned him to a traitor, honestly I do not blame him for wanting to leave and I did not expect him staying this summer at the first place either. It's the way he chose to walk out and the words he said about the club and city.Could he be more disrespectful and hypocrite? Wanted to leave since last summer? What happened to your vow earlier this month:"My head is in Liverpool and on helping save our season. I am professional and I always fulfil my deals. I haven’t considered leaving, although in football that depends on the club."<---- I mean, WTF!

Offline tdonline

• It's a "conspiracy..."
  • Main Stander
« Reply #894 on: February 6, 2011, 12:33:48 am »
"My head is in Liverpool and on helping save our season. I am professional and I always fulfil my deals. I haven’t considered leaving, although in football that depends on the club."<---- I mean, WTF!

Those quotes have not been verified by any credible source.  The official site and Tony Barrett do not think they're real. 

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #895 on: February 6, 2011, 12:44:53 am »
I have an idea

Lets lock this thread

Coz, you know, he doesn't play for us anymore, and I like many others, am more eager about looking forward to the Kenny/NESV era, than I am about mulling over why or why not 1 player decided to jump out of our ship. I personally hold no ill-will towards Nando. So he decided to fuck us off, big fucking whoop. No need to get all tartish about it like. Best of luck to him at Chelsea. I'm sure he'll be part of something special there. He may even help bring them some recognizable prestige. Provided of course his groin can hold up for the next 150 years, or however long it takes for those plastic flag waving spazmoids to be even considered in the same breath as Liverpool FC. He'll probably limp off tomorrow anyways once Carra kicks the fuck out of him, but at least he has time on his side. He'll fucking need it like

Now lock this Sum' Bitch

We've got 4th place to fight for, no time for pissing and moaning about Torres

And yes, I said we've got 4th place to fight for, starting tomorrow
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #896 on: February 6, 2011, 12:58:44 am »
I don't know about you lot, but the thought of Carroll as a battering ram, with Suarez lurking between the lines and probing on the periphery, causes mass phallus inflation within me. Much more than Nando ever did. Like I said earlier, we came out on top with this deal. Our strike force just went up a notch. And I'd also like to say that I look forward to seeing Ngog participating in what promises to be a very potent strike force for us. His movement (and his often criminally underrated ability to bring our our forward moving midfielders/fullbacks into play) also gives me shaftal engorgement
been at those purple pills again billy  ::)
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 01:01:03 am by horne »
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #897 on: February 6, 2011, 01:06:28 am »
been at those purple pills again billy  ::)

asl?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: February 6, 2011, 01:11:33 am »
Hell he even took a pay cut to come here - Lest you forget  A PAYCUT, that's faith! 
Fuck me it must be worse than working for local government. We've only had our pay frozen for two years, poor Nando took a pay cut coming here and according to his brother he took a pay cut going to Chelsea. He'll be selling the Echo part time next.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #899 on: February 6, 2011, 03:16:21 am »
I'm so sorry, get tomorrow over with and I'll be alright:

His armband proved he was a dick, Torres Torres
You'll always walk alone you prick, Torres Torres
You love the cock deep in your mouth,
You are a c*nt there is no doubt,
Fernando Torres, you are a fucking nonce!!!

Come on you reds!!!!!

May the wrath of fowler be with you!

Offline Scarlet`

• Low profile with wide rims
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96!!!
    • Laconius Arts and Design
« Reply #900 on: February 6, 2011, 05:03:24 am »
They used to be rivals at the top, plus they were fucking c*nts.

So they were but Clough is amazing as a manager how he pulled of the stunt of winning promotion then winning the Division One with the first try....twice

Sir Bob is better though :D
If Ayre got £25m out of them he's willing to fuck all the female members of my family on Sunday's.

Offline miakeks

• Legacy Fan
  • Quod erat demonstrandum. :P
« Reply #901 on: February 6, 2011, 08:02:37 am »
“I said that at that moment, I didn’t think I would play for another club — because at that moment Liverpool were giving me what they promised ... but not now,” he said.

Right....

Well, I think it's time for him to finally shut up. Just like us, he can't seem to stop talking about Liverpool either. Boy, move on.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease.” (Voltaire, 1694 - 1778)

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: February 6, 2011, 08:22:16 am »
Is he still on his PR drive then?

He did a take a pay cut to be fair.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline redrockydennis

• Annie Wilkes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • gonna paint me jarg wheelie bin purple
« Reply #903 on: February 6, 2011, 08:28:25 am »
Is he still on his PR drive then?

He did a take a pay cut to be fair.

bloody hell it's not like he is on minimum wage the poor fucker.

they tax dodge to fuck anyway, especially using the image rights negotiation shit.
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes,
of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: February 6, 2011, 08:29:31 am »
bloody hell it's not like he is on minimum wage the poor fucker.

they tax dodge to fuck anyway, especially using the image rights negotiation shit.

;)
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Grayman

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
    • GraymanATB.com
« Reply #905 on: February 6, 2011, 08:33:55 am »
As a realistic Liverpool fan I don't take any "love the Club" stuff from footballers seriously and I'm too old for hero worship. To my mind players are just staff with Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher aside.

Anyway, that means I'm not bitter towards Torres and although I've been in the minority, I've been calling for him to go for a while. To my mind, the tag "World Class" is hugely over-used and has to refer to more than raw talent. Attitude is at least as important.  Fernando Torres is a spoilt child who has spent the last two seasons sat on the floor whining to anyone who will listen. He has consistently been greedy with the ball, self centred and clearly takes no personal responsibility for the performance of the team, happily colluding with one eyed fans blaming a lack of service for a string of missed one-on-ones. Torres has clearly been more focussed Spain than the Club which paid his wages.

So to conclude, I am absolutely delighted we managed to get £50 million for a player who's either been injured or hopeless (bar the odd flash) for the last 2 seasons.  We have much better balance with our new acquisitions, all on a net spend on £1 million! 

YNWA

G
« Last Edit: February 6, 2011, 10:24:04 am by Grayman »

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #906 on: February 6, 2011, 08:36:22 am »
Fuckin hell Fernando. We never heard a peep from you when you where with us, now you cant keep your fuckin mouth shut. What a tit!!!

Offline kapil08

• Kopite
« Reply #907 on: February 6, 2011, 08:59:34 am »
For us, Kennys comment about the most important players being the ones who want to be at the club comment more or less clarifies majority of the fans stance on this. 

But, the more fucknando talks about his time with us, the more he's putting himself up in public eyes for scrutiny. I mean, emotionally. I know he's asked about all this stuff by the journos, but if he kept shut and let this die down, HE would be much better off.

Either way, he can f*** off   :wanker
"If Bob Paisley had been on the continent or in America, in whatever capacity or field he worked, and achieved what he achieved, I think he’d be rated higher than the President, the Lord Mayor, the King or the Queen or whatever"

Ron Atkinson

Offline Dubai_Red

• Can smell nullshit from 4,608 miles away
  • Kopite
« Reply #908 on: February 6, 2011, 09:02:12 am »
For me the last line sums it perfectly:

"In the end everyone was happy. But deep down, no one was"

I agree that he wanted to play in CL and we might not have been able to offer him that for another two season. I understand him wanting to leave so that he can win some domestic honours. Our own SG wanted to leave to win more trophies and that was after putting his hands on the CL trophy.

But its the timing that doesnt make sense. He should have waited till the end of the season and then left. He would still hav got his "dream" move. Would have left on gopod terms with the fans. But to jump ship mid way through the season is a big slap in the face.

In the words of keegan, "I would love it if we beat chelsea to the CL spot this year, would absolutly love it"

Offline ziggyy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wums should remain underground...
« Reply #909 on: February 6, 2011, 09:06:05 am »
23 pages on a silly boy who just couldn't wait another 5 months...  Why do we even bother...

Support the club and move on...

There are so many positives going on for us now and I'm actually starting to look at the table and the results of the other teams again:)

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #910 on: February 6, 2011, 09:12:15 am »
Move on FFS.  The more he talks, we talk and the more we all talk, the more today's game becomes about him and he scores.  I'd love this thread and all other threads re. Torres to be deleted or moved to General Football.  We should be talking about Suarez, Dalglish, Gerrard, Cole - anything but the Spanish defector....
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #911 on: February 6, 2011, 09:19:51 am »
Torres has stated hes not a Liverpool fan and wants to win medals - it doesn't make nice reading but he left us and didn't idolise the Kop as we thought.  Let's just move on and spend our time and efforts on the players who want to be here
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
« Reply #912 on: February 6, 2011, 09:23:37 am »
It's funny how he said he will tell us one day why he left, then tells us a few days later that it was because two of our better players went and because we were owned by two cancers for too long, breaking news indeed lad. His personal justification is just as i'd expect from a chelsea player, very ashley cole indeed. Seriously need to draw a line under this after today, I hope he can do the same and shut his mouth.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #913 on: February 6, 2011, 09:28:00 am »
Reading back through this morning it's only now that I've realised that the likes of Prufeshunel and co who've been defending the indefensible are Bluenoses or Mancs on a wind up.

Still, I guess as frustrating as it's been for those of us who never realised we'd taken their bait hook line and sinker the thread probably has helped us all exorcise a few demons. Including the guy himself, of course.

:)

Offline liverbirduponmychest

• Anny Roader
« Reply #914 on: February 6, 2011, 09:51:36 am »
hes half a boy, hes half a girl
torres   torres
he look just like a transvestite
torres   torres
He wear a frock, locks the cock, sells his arse on albert dock
fernando torres, terrys bit on the side

; )

Offline liverbirduponmychest

• Anny Roader
« Reply #915 on: February 6, 2011, 09:53:41 am »
It's funny how he said he will tell us one day why he left, then tells us a few days later that it was because two of our better players went and because we were owned by two cancers for too long, breaking news indeed lad. His personal justification is just as i'd expect from a chelsea player, very ashley cole indeed. Seriously need to draw a line under this after today, I hope he can do the same and shut his mouth.

I will draw a line under it when hes limping !  hopefully not long  after 4pm today

Offline ThePrufeshanul

• Bastard child of Jose Mourinho and Maggie Thatcher
  • Kopite
  • ..whose game is tighter than Suarez's shirt says..
« Reply #916 on: February 6, 2011, 09:56:14 am »
Reading back through this morning it's only now that I've realised that the likes of Prufeshunel and co who've been defending the indefensible are Bluenoses or Mancs on a wind up.

Still, I guess as frustrating as it's been for those of us who never realised we'd taken their bait hook line and sinker the thread probably has helped us all exorcise a few demons. Including the guy himself, of course.

:)

Take a running jump mate.

If you look back through the thread you will see that Torres in yesterdays press conference confirms EXACTLY what we have been saying since this discussion started.

So either we have been pretty much spot on about why he left and you have ignored it OR he is a lying, scheming, money grabbing Judas and somehow you were too dumb to notice  for the past three and a half years when you have been gushing over him like a teenage girl.

Think the thread has run its course now and should probably be locked - everyone has pretty much made up their mind now about the reasons for his departure. The plain truth is there to be read for anyone who is bothered about how such things work.
"Lucas Leiva? That kid had more passes than Paris Hilton on Mastermind!"
"The funniest thing of all though is an agricultural long ball centre half not trusting the ability on the ball of some one who starts for Brazil precisely because of his passing ability." - Al555

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #917 on: February 6, 2011, 10:34:45 am »
If the cap fuckin fits.

You defend the fellow all you want.

But it'll never alter the fact that for the past 12 months or so he's been pissing all over this club - the club so many of us love - with his wretched half -hearted turgid performances when as the main striker he should have been pulling out his fuckin guts.  If you condone that then it's up to you. but no real Liverpudlian ever would. Sorry but that's the way it is.

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: February 6, 2011, 10:43:14 am »
In a league table of those deserving vitriol for their shocking behaviour at LFC over the last 12 months, Torres doesn't even make the European places.

Handled his move pretty badly, but I've positive memories on the whole and we've doubled our money which we can spend for once (or seem to be able to).
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #919 on: February 6, 2011, 10:47:05 am »
'Too many broken promises'
The ill-fated Anfield era of Tom Hicks and George Gillett has yet another victim, writes Dion Fanning

By Dion Fanning

Sunday February 06 2011

L ast Friday, Fernando Torres tried to explain what happened. How he had meant the things he once said about Liverpool. Yet his words had ceased to have meaning when it turned out that others didn't mean what they told him.

Liverpool supporters' sense of betrayal will be expressed at Stamford Bridge today but even on Friday, even with his excitement at the opportunities at Chelsea, Torres' feeling of betrayal was also palpable.

"There were too many things to think about, too many broken promises, too many false hopes -- but I am not responsible for that," he said during a compelling day of press obligations at Chelsea's Surrey training ground. "The only thing I have to do is play football and I accept that my performances were not the best, I realise that."

Torres' dissatisfaction began the summer Rafael Benitez sold Xabi Alonso and discovered that most of the profit would go to feeding Tom Hicks and George Gillett's debt. Torres recalled those years of promise when Liverpool finished second and reached the latter stages of the Champions League. Soon there would just be promises, then eventually a battlefield of broken promises.

At that time, when Liverpool promised so much, he said he never wanted to play for another English club. But he watched as the club he said he would never forsake became another club, torn apart by dysfunction and Shakespearean intrigue.

"I said that at that moment, I didn't think I would play for another club -- because at that moment Liverpool were giving me what they promised, but not now. I think one of the important points is in my first two seasons at the club, they played in the semi-finals of the Champions League and finished second in the Premier League, four points behind Man United. We were very, very close to being one of the top teams for a long time because everyone was together and everyone was moving in the right direction."

In the summer of 2009, that stopped. Football wants heroes and villains, supporters demand them as much as the media, but if Hicks and Gillett were the obvious bad guys, many others were playing a part, including those generally regarded as heroes.

In Benitez's final year, Torres became dissatisfied. The manager was blamed by those who spoke of dressing room discontent. The chain of command had been broken by Christian Purslow, who was close to some of the players who were unhappy. Torres wavered. Benitez knew who the unhappy players were and he knew who were more content. With Torres, he was never sure.

Many have been persuaded that Benitez was the problem but when he left it turned out that, imperfectly, he had been holding things together. Torres knew when this season began that it was getting worse.

In the summer, Liverpool had appointed Roy Hodgson after Kenny Dalglish's ambitions for the job were dismissed by Martin Broughton and Purslow. Off the field, Torres kept hearing stories that never came true. "The old owners were talking about selling the club too many times and during that time the team was being weakened because they were not focused on it."

Torres reflected on Friday that things might have been different if Dalglish rather than Hodgson had been appointed instead of patronisingly dealt with last summer. Dalglish's appointment last summer might have changed things.

"I don't know, that never happened. He came in the last month. It's always difficult to change the manager. Benitez was five years at Liverpool with a different style, always doing the same things. Hodgson came with his ideas about football, his tactics and methods. I think the fact is maybe we never understand what Hodgson wanted or Hodgson never understand us. I think that is not his fault, he's a great, great man and great manager."

Dalglish's arrival made a difference but by then it was too late. Liverpool had dropped into the relegation zone during Hodgson's time and Torres had spent the first half of the season chasing long balls, adapting to the tactics of a coach some of his team-mates were convinced was the solution. Now they were a club without Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso, key departures in Torres' view which pointed to a long transition. With Hodgson in charge, it began to look like an eternal transition.

"When Kenny Dalglish came, especially for the fans, there was some new hope because he knew the club. As a footballer and as a manager, he did great things for the club. I don't know, if he was manager in the summer, maybe it would have been different, maybe not."

There were moments on the field this season that left many convinced that the dissatisfaction with the owners and the broken promises had now fractured the dressing room. During the Merseyside derby at Goodison Park, Torres made a dismissive gesture towards Jamie Carragher which was, some believe, a reflection of their personal relationship.

Carragher was vocal again last week. Torres' sale might have been for the best if "he didn't 100 per cent want to be here". Nobody can question Carragher's desire to be at the club but many now have to ask if he should be.

It was "time for a change" he said when Benitez was sacked, even if the change only made things worse. Then, like now, he made some conciliatory public noises, but his private view reportedly was different.

Most, if not all, of those who contributed to the psychodrama at Liverpool have left. Carragher is the issue that needs to be confronted by Dalglish who has the powerbase to do it, a powerbase that may have intimidated those who felt he shouldn't get the job last summer.

"There is no romanticism in football anymore," Torres said on Friday but those who believed he had seen something more than success in Liverpool had made him the vessel for their dreams.

Last week, he seemed to trample on them. On Monday night, it was reported that he said he had now joined a big club. Football had its villain.

"Everyone is trying to turn my words. I will never say anything bad about Liverpool. I left a great club with the best history in the country and I come to another great club. In the last years, Chelsea has proved that they are one of the best clubs in the country and I have the possibility to join them. Liverpool has more history, it is a massive club but right now I think Chelsea have more options to win everything and are building a great history and future."

Certainly, he has decided that he had to be ruthless in his choice of club even if there was a sense of the romantic in his explanation for leaving Liverpool. Torres cared about playing for Liverpool but the club was no longer the club he loved.

Torres' sense of betrayal was profound but he also had to realise his own ambitions which, until Dalglish arrived, seemed further away at Liverpool. He thinks the club is building for the future while as a footballer he has to think of now.

Footballers sitting at a podium are never at their best. Usually they keep their heads down and roll through the platitudes. Torres didn't do that on Friday. He wanted to explain what had happened, he said, and there will be a time when he wants to do more explaining. "I have nothing to prove," he said, "I only want to win trophies."

Things had gone wrong for him at Liverpool and his unhappiness was profound and on this, if on little else, he agreed with Jamie Carragher that it suited everyone for him to leave.

"I'm sure it was the best option for both. Obviously I was not playing the same way because I was feeling the apprehension about everything that happened, the sale and all those things. I am sure they have spent the money well. There is no reason to keep one player who wants to leave."

Liverpool were left with those familiar conflicting feelings of hope and despair. The signings of Luis Suarez and Carroll made them feel good again. But Purslow's signing of Joe Cole last summer had made them feel good too. Cole's arrival was seen as a statement when in fact all it did was demonstrate again Purslow's arrogant clumsiness when it came to meddling in football.

Carroll is worth the price Liverpool paid for him if he delivers on his potential. His potential is not the problem, his personality is the danger. Carroll too made an impressive debut in front of the media last week. He explained himself and said he was a straightforward man who liked a drink "at the right time". The right time for a footballer to have a drink was about 1985. Any player who begins a career explaining when and why he likes to drink may be in danger of fulfilling some old stereotypes of the English footballer.

His progress is astonishing. Towards the end of Rafael Benitez's time at Liverpool, the club were working on a deal to sign Carroll for about £5m. Then Benitez was sacked and Purslow entered the transfer market.

John W Henry's explanation of the way Liverpool worked in the market last week made sense. Liverpool may have overspent but when the Hicks and Gillett years involved even greater sums going out of the club in interest payments, Andy Carroll becomes a risk worth taking. Henry explained that Liverpool wanted "Carroll plus £15 million for Torres". Yet in pointing out that the sale of Torres and Ryan Babel financed the purchase of Carroll and Suarez, he may have revealed that the club were preparing for Torres' departure long before last weekend.

Torres informed the club, as he said, ten or 12 days before the story broke last Thursday. According to informed sources, Torres was told by the club that any release of the information at this stage could increase the price for Suarez so only when that deal was close to completion did the story come out. Torres, with the last-minute request, was easily cast as the villain, but this was just another contortion he had to absorb and he had become used to them.

The decision to sign for Chelsea seemed to make little sense. Torres sees it differently. He sees Chelsea as a rejuvenated team because they have Fernando Torres. The stunning self-belief may not be misplaced. "They were the only club I wanted to fight for."

In the long-term, he will be Didier Drogba's replacement. In Benitez's final year, the statistics available to the manager showed that Torres was working less and when his former manager spoke last week of how clubs wanted to buy Torres last year for £70m, he might not have been speaking in the abstract.

Torres says he was surprised by the friendliness at his new club and again that might have been the change from the previous months of isolation when he became disconnected at Liverpool. He was the only Liverpool player not to attend the Christmas party, which was seen as an example of his isolation, or he may have just decided not to go where he wasn't welcome.

Torres' mistake was to leave Liverpool when the club were feeling good again and put in jeopardy the supporters' fragile sense of hope.

He believes he can win the trophies at Chelsea he wanted to win at Liverpool. The years of discord and destruction by Hicks and Gillett and others are still claiming victims. Torres may not be the last to decide that if he wants to fulfil his ambitions, he will have to leave.

"If the promises had been true, Liverpool would have been fighting with Manchester United and Chelsea so you never know, maybe I would still be there. We were very close to fighting with these teams but two years after, we were not."

Torres is closer now and he may be closer to the player Liverpool signed nearly four years ago. But he is not the player the fans turned to for hope.

"In time they will realise what I did for the club. I couldn't get to the target we had to win trophies with them. I'm sure I did my best for the club. Maybe now they can start a new era."

Last week, the old one claimed another casualty.

- Dion Fanning

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/too-many-broken-promises-2527352.html
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.