Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12306038 times)

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #84720 on: October 9, 2015, 03:02:01 pm »
I watched this while refreshing twitter for news all afternoon. Rossiter was great. He seemed to adapt better than others to the awful conditions. He quickly figured out what you could and couldn't do while most of the others where taking far too many touches and getting the ball caught up in puddles.

Good to get a report as the page on the FA website with the 2-0 story never mentioned him (but then defensive midfielders' roles are often underappreciated). 

Looking forward to watching (assuming it will be on LFC TV as I live in London) the U18 match tomorrow morning to see if it is possible to detect a new level of energy/dynamism amongst the Academy players, if that is possible.   

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84721 on: October 9, 2015, 03:51:05 pm »
Good to get a report as the page on the FA website with the 2-0 story never mentioned him (but then defensive midfielders' roles are often underappreciated). 

Looking forward to watching (assuming it will be on LFC TV as I live in London) the U18 match tomorrow morning to see if it is possible to detect a new level of energy/dynamism amongst the Academy players, if that is possible.   

Might see Klopp there.

On his first night with club staff he expressed a desire to watch a Liverpool youth game in his first week on Merseyside. (BBC Sport)
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84722 on: October 10, 2015, 03:08:49 am »
I watched this while refreshing twitter for news all afternoon. Rossiter was great. He seemed to adapt better than others to the awful conditions. He quickly figured out what you could and couldn't do while most of the others where taking far too many touches and getting the ball caught up in puddles.

He was good but Patrick Roberts caught my eye as well, he still had supreme close control and was beating players despite the conditions.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84723 on: October 10, 2015, 10:13:56 am »
@LFC 
#LFC U18s v @StokeCity: George, Lewis, Johnston, Whelan, Dobie, Phillips, Dhanda, Coyle, Woodburn, Alves, Ejaria.

Liverpool FC ‏@LFC 
#LFC U18s subs v @StokeCity: Owens, Wheeler, Parker, Brewster, Lewis.

Here comes more U16s. I thought we might see Adam Lewis soon. On the bench with Rhian Brewster.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

Offline ElPayaso

• Main Stander
« Reply #84724 on: October 10, 2015, 11:18:12 am »
Good to see Klopp at the academy!

Offline Twitter.com

• 140 character limitation. Laugh now but one day he'll be in chorge. Media junkie.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84725 on: October 10, 2015, 11:18:37 am »
"Jürgen Klopp, Alex Inglethorpe, Pepijn Lijnders and Michael Beale are all in attendance for today's U18s clash."
^ That's what you get for posting twitter shite kids.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #84726 on: October 10, 2015, 11:25:20 am »
"Jürgen Klopp, Alex Inglethorpe, Pepijn Lijnders and Michael Beale are all in attendance for today's U18s clash."

What is Inglethorpes role at the club at the moment?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84727 on: October 10, 2015, 11:29:18 am »

Director of Academy

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #84728 on: October 10, 2015, 11:29:44 am »

Believer

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84729 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:17 am »
I'm sure Klopp liked that goal. :D

Coyle's been quite impressive again. Really is good to see the u16s making the step up so smoothly, makes you feel that the academy's joined up across the age groups.

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #84730 on: October 10, 2015, 11:40:35 am »
I'm sure Klopp liked that goal. :D

Nice bit of pressing, that :D

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84732 on: October 10, 2015, 11:44:45 am »
Klopp currently talking to Alex Inglethorpe at the LFC Under 18's game after expressing a desire to watch it

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/652794558267441152

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84733 on: October 10, 2015, 11:46:48 am »

;D

Offline edge

• Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #84734 on: October 10, 2015, 11:48:57 am »
Haven't seen too many of these academy matches, but the co-commentator is speaking exactly like Brendan. Characeter, 'as I've said' etc. :D

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84735 on: October 10, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
Nice tackle Whelan. Hansen-esque that.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #84736 on: October 10, 2015, 11:54:47 am »
Whelan looking good defensively but missed a sitter. Good range of passing from Alves and good contributions and bite from young Coyle,
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline exino

• tic tac toe
  • Kopite
  • Youth coach. Total football proponent. JFT96.
"Football is a simple game, yet it is difficult to play simple football."- Johan Cruyff

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84738 on: October 10, 2015, 01:04:36 pm »
Ends 1-0. Only watched the 2nd half though so missed the only goal.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84739 on: October 10, 2015, 01:53:25 pm »
Ryan Kent scored for England U20 today in a 2-1 win over Turkey. England U19 are playing on the pond again, both Rossiter and Ojo started.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84740 on: October 10, 2015, 04:09:35 pm »
Ryan Kent scored for England U20 today in a 2-1 win over Turkey. England U19 are playing on the pond again, both Rossiter and Ojo started.

I see Cam Branagan withdrew injured from the U20s.  Unlucky for him if he wont be able to show his worth to the new manager for a while. 

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84741 on: October 10, 2015, 08:52:40 pm »
Wiki says Ojo is 5'10 and Wilson is 6'0 . Is this correct  :o?

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84742 on: October 11, 2015, 06:07:13 am »
Wiki says Ojo is 5'10 and Wilson is 6'0 . Is this correct  :o?

No chance. Wilson by my guess would be around 5'8 or 5'9 and Ojo would be closer to 6'0 or 6'1.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #84743 on: October 11, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
I know there has been some minor discussion on this point already, but I'm curious to hear what prospects you all think have the likeliest chance of breaking through under Klopp in the near future. Has this "list" changed at all with a new man in charge? Or is the change of manager of little consequence right now for those knocking at the door? As I'm sure there are many in here who are more familiar with the way Dortmund operated under Klopp, I'm looking forward to hearing who has a shot of finding first team opportunities and why.

On another note, can anyone shed some light on Rhian Brewster for me? I'd not heard of him before yesterday but he seems to be highly rated for such a youngster.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84744 on: October 11, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »
I see Cam Branagan withdrew injured from the U20s.  Unlucky for him if he wont be able to show his worth to the new manager for a while. 

Depends on the injury and how long he is out for.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84745 on: October 11, 2015, 05:24:29 pm »
I know there has been some minor discussion on this point already, but I'm curious to hear what prospects you all think have the likeliest chance of breaking through under Klopp in the near future. Has this "list" changed at all with a new man in charge? Or is the change of manager of little consequence right now for those knocking at the door? As I'm sure there are many in here who are more familiar with the way Dortmund operated under Klopp, I'm looking forward to hearing who has a shot of finding first team opportunities and why.

On another note, can anyone shed some light on Rhian Brewster for me? I'd not heard of him before yesterday but he seems to be highly rated for such a youngster.
In general, I think the traits that will make players excel with Klopp are pace, tenacity, and technical skill. Being mentally strong and giving 100% every day is a given of course.

I've broken down my thoughts by position here:

Attack

In attacking positions I think Markovic and Kent are two that should benefit. They both like to play a very quick and direct attacking game, taking the ball towards goal at pace as soon as they receive it. Ojo and Wilson should be good fits too, but I think Kent is likeliest out of those 3, as he strikes me as being a bit more "zippy" and electric on-and-off the ball than Ojo, and Wilson is still a bit too lightweight still. All three could very well make our team at some stage though.

Ibe isn't very positionally aware despite his natural talents, but if he can develop his game intelligence he should have a decent crack too. I don't think many will agree with me but I can see Ibe being developed to play as an attacking RB instead of as one of the 4 attacking players. My logic is that he's extremely good when he has space in front of him to run into, but he's unlikely to find that space playing anywhere other than RB since the four attacking players generally stay very narrow where there is a great deal more emphasis on quick passing ability and playing in tight spaces, which so far don't appear to be Ibe's strengths. For what it's worth, Klopp also has precedent at converting wingers into fullbacks too, as that's exactly what he did with Durm and Pizszcek at Dortmund.

As for strikers, Klopp likes his CF to have presence and be able to both come short as well as to go deep, so I'm skeptical about Sinclair and Yesil's chances. They're both quick fox-in-the-box type strikers, but neither seems like the sort of striker who excels at dropping short to receive passes and play teammates through - in the mood of Lewandowski or Benteke for example. I can see Origi develop to be used in a similar capacity to Aubameyang, ie. in the Blazczkowski position whenever Klopp wants to stretch teams more.

Midfield

Teixeira is someone who should benefit too. He likes to play a direct style, making chances and/or shooting quickly, which is exactly what Klopp wants his attacking players to do. He's also very aggressive off the ball which boosts his chances too. His good close control also enable him to play in tight spaces which is a must for central players under Klopp. Brannagan is a similar type of player but I think his downfall will be his lack of end product.

Players who've been brought through to play more of a possession style could well lose out unfortunately, and that would include someone like Rossiter. He could well be an asset for his intelligent tackling and positioning though, but he'll have to play more of a direct style rather than the simple (albeit effective) sideways passes. I really like Chirivella too but think he needs to add some more aggression to his game to really stand a chance.

A DM who could benefit is Alan Rodrigues, who is super aggressive off the ball and likes to quickly play the ball vertically either on the ground or aerially. Another big plus for Alan over Rossiter is his eye for goal and set piece prowess.

Btw, if Graeme Kelly is right about Rubén Neves being signed to join next summer we should be very excited. He's one of the top 10 players of his age group (probably top 2-3 in CM/DM), and is already bossing it for Porto in the league since the start of last season and in the CL this year (including in the 2-1 win vs Chelsea). Highly impressive or an 18 year old, who looks way more mature than his age suggests.

Defence

Maguire might be someone else who'll benefit from the need of an attacking LB to cover for Moreno. Enrique could well be good enough to cover at LB, but it makes little sense for Klopp to give him gametime when he could be planning for the future with younger options. Maguire has the pace and attacking skills needed, but needs to sharpen his defensive skills and positioning more though.

Two other rather obvious candidates to benefit are Ilori (if he returns) and Gomez, for their ability on the ball, pace, and capacity to play a higher line comfortably.

As or defenders who will lose out, sadly I think Flanagan could be a victim. I said in another thread he is excellent at reading triggers and making tackles, but I don't think that's enough to compensate for his limited pace and attacking qualities, which are absolutely fundamental for fullbacks in Klopp's system.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:35:09 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #84746 on: October 11, 2015, 05:42:52 pm »
In general, I think the traits that will make players excel with Klopp are pace, tenacity, and technical skill. Being mentally strong and giving 100% every day is a given of course.

Snip

Really appreciative of this breakdown, R1. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I am excited by the prospect of Kent getting a look in when his Coventry loan is up. I've been really impressed in the glimpses I've seen of him. Markovic, too, should find more joy under Klopp, Hopefully he returns with a renewed sense of desire to perform in a red shirt. It seemed as though he was (rightfully) disenchanted with Liverpool when he left on loan.

I'm really intrigued by your thoughts on Allan. He is someone who remains a mystery to me as I've never had the opportunity to see him play. I have been following his progress and he has had an impressive statistical start in Finland, but I had thought I'd read that pace/athleticism were not among his strong points. From what you've said, however, that must not be the case. I will be eagerly monitoring him now.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84747 on: October 11, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
Really appreciative of this breakdown, R1. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your thoughts.
I am excited by the prospect of Kent getting a look in when his Coventry loan is up. I've been really impressed in the glimpses I've seen of him. Markovic, too, should find more joy under Klopp, Hopefully he returns with a renewed sense of desire to perform in a red shirt. It seemed as though he was (rightfully) disenchanted with Liverpool when he left on loan.

I'm really intrigued by your thoughts on Allan. He is someone who remains a mystery to me as I've never had the opportunity to see him play. I have been following his progress and he has had an impressive statistical start in Finland, but I had thought I'd read that pace/athleticism were not among his strong points. From what you've said, however, that must not be the case. I will be eagerly monitoring him now.
My pleasure buddy. :)

As you say it's not surprising that Markovic became disenchanted, but it's telling how highly rated he is by the club and our scouts that they were willing to pay £20m for him and didn't include an option to buy in his loan (as was the case with Ilori). His style of play really didn't suit Brendan's slower possession game, but I'm excited to see him play for Klopp as his direct "vertical" style and ability to quickly link with players while running up field a pace should be absolutely ideal for Klopp.

Although he isn't slow, I wouldn't say that pace was that much off an asset for Alan. Rather, it's his agility and exceptional tenacity and infectious fighter spirit that stand out to me, along with his delightful left foot. Admittedly my judgement is based on only a handful of YouTube clips but I did like what I saw. He's all-action, on-and-off the ball, as well as on set pieces. If you want to see videos of him the best videos of him on YouTube are his all-touches clips from games against Valencia and Porto from his time at Internacional.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 05:59:35 pm by rickardinho1 »

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84748 on: October 11, 2015, 06:25:41 pm »
What's everyone's opinion on Woodburn? I think he's looking great. Really nifty with his feet and somewhat reminds me of a quicker Lallana with the ball tied to his laces almost!

Him and Alexander-Arnold seem to link up really really well. Very excited about these two.

Coyle seems like a hard grafter - not sure about his technicality as I've not observed him well enough but he gets stuck in and is very passionate.

Offline stevelecool

• Main Stander
« Reply #84749 on: October 11, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »
Rossiter presses really intelligently, and is able to think and act very quickly on the ball. I don't think he should have too much trouble adapting to play at a higher tempo.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84750 on: October 11, 2015, 06:37:02 pm »
Does anyone have any videos from recent u18 and u21 games? Would be particularly interested in seeing some more of the u18's in particular.

Offline warrenpe

• Kopite
« Reply #84751 on: October 11, 2015, 07:00:57 pm »
Not sure we should be expecting an influx of youth players into the first-team set-up under Klopp. In seven years at Dortmund, he brought through Schmelzer (20) from the reserves in his first season, then Gotze (18) from the youth ranks in 10/11. After that, no one really came through until Hofmann and Durm (both 21) in 13/14.

There were others who functioned as squad filler, but in terms of the first team that seems to be it. Klopp did play plenty of young players bought in from other clubs, though.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84752 on: October 11, 2015, 07:12:13 pm »
Also the fact that we already have quite a plentiful squad, so there isn't exactly a lot of room for young players to fill.

He might look at a couple but I can't see more than that. If I were to guess, I'd say Kent is someone he might look at more than anyone.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84753 on: October 11, 2015, 07:12:46 pm »
Not sure we should be expecting an influx of youth players into the first-team set-up under Klopp. In seven years at Dortmund, he brought through Schmelzer (20) from the reserves in his first season, then Gotze (18) from the youth ranks in 10/11. After that, no one really came through until Hofmann and Durm (both 21) in 13/14.

There were others who functioned as squad filler, but in terms of the first team that seems to be it. Klopp did play plenty of young players bought in from other clubs, though.
Good point. Following on from what you said, Hummels and Subotic may have been from other clubs originally but they were both 19 when Klopp made them his first choice CB pairing.

I'm not sure how prominent Dormund's academy was at the time, but it does seem clear that Klopp was willing to give youth a big chance - though much of that could well have been down to the fact that he didn't have much choice due to financial limitations. Finances should be a significantly smaller hindrance with FSG than in his early years at Dortmund though.

My earlier post was probably a bit over optimistic as it simply isn't realistic to expect a large number of youngsters to break through. Nonetheless, I think our squad and academy is in incredibly good shape with really promising young players in almost every position, which should enable Klopp to focus his transfer funds on fewer additions while bolstering the squad with academy players rather than needing to bring in squad players and causing huge turnover like we've seen recently (ie. 33 players out, 31 in).

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84754 on: October 11, 2015, 07:14:11 pm »

It's down to the quality of the the youth set-ups more than anything. Dortmund never had a great history of bringing through players before Klopp. There's more than enough examples to suggest if they're good enough then they'll get a chance.

Rafa.

Offline LFCTikiTaka

• Bedwetter
  • Kopite
« Reply #84755 on: October 11, 2015, 08:16:10 pm »
Does anyone have any videos from recent u18 and u21 games? Would be particularly interested in seeing some more of the u18's in particular.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x431zg_lfctikitaka__reserves-academy/1#video=x3978cs

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84756 on: October 11, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
I can't quite figure out the hype about Lazar. He barely did anything here and he had enough opportunity to show a glimpse at least.

His appalling inability to beat his man was absolutely strange given his supposed position.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #84757 on: October 11, 2015, 08:51:09 pm »
I can't quite figure out the hype about Lazar. He barely did anything here and he had enough opportunity to show a glimpse at least.

His appalling inability to beat his man was absolutely strange given his supposed position.

I don't think playing him as a wing-back in a league he'd never played before did his confidence any favours myself. It'll be interesting to see what Klopp decides to do with him when he comes back.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84758 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

For me it's less about his performances and more about the individual pieces of his game. He's quick, good defensively with lots of stamina, has a great eye for an attacking pass (admittedly he's also quite sloppy), he gets in really good goalscoring positions and his shooting technique is pretty good when he's not over-thinking it.

At this point he's only really squad role material but if he can put all of his attributes together he can be a really effective forward.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84759 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:36 pm »
I don't think playing him as a wing-back in a league he'd never played before did his confidence any favours myself. It'll be interesting to see what Klopp decides to do with him when he comes back.
I mean that was where he had his best games. He should have been full of confidence after the Sunderland match for example.