Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12306097 times)

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve Lads like?
« Reply #84681 on: October 6, 2015, 01:47:57 pm »
Cheers

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84682 on: October 6, 2015, 02:03:34 pm »
John

Offline WidnesJon

• Sworn enemy of RuncornPaul
  • Main Stander
  • Kemlyn Hughes
« Reply #84683 on: October 6, 2015, 07:04:58 pm »

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #84684 on: October 6, 2015, 09:36:06 pm »
4-0 away to the Mancs and another 2 goals for Alexander Arnold, good start to the weekend.

Let's hope it continues in to tomorrow.

he's 'one to watch' according to the grauniad

Trent Alexander-Arnold
Club Liverpool
Position Midfielder
Born 7 October 1998

The 16-year-old has received rave reviews not only from Liverpool and England coaches during a rapid rise up the ranks but also from Steven Gerrard, his boyhood hero, in the former Anfield captain’s new autobiography. Gerrard reveals he asked Pepijn Lijnders, the first-team development coach, to always include Alexander-Arnold and Herbie Kane in his group when taking his ’B’ Licence course, and handed the captain’s armband to the former during a comeback game in Liverpool’s Under-18s side last season. “It was my way of telling Trent that I believed he could make it for Liverpool one day,” Gerrard writes. Alexander-Arnold, born a stone’s throw from Melwood, played right-back in that game but can operate in several positions, including central midfield. He featured in the first team’s pre-season friendly at Swindon Town this summer. @AHunterGuardian
Watch Trent Alexander-Arnold in action

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #84685 on: October 6, 2015, 09:37:23 pm »
So Gerrard seems to be on board the Alexander-Arnold bandwagon as well.

apologies - didn't see your post.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84686 on: October 6, 2015, 11:38:02 pm »
I'm curious as to why people think Kent is so perfect for Klopp?

We know Rodgers had balls viz-a-viz young players and if he deemed Kent wasn't ready yet how does Klopp coming change the equation?
Klopp likes to play at a frantic pace. Kent likes to play at a frantic pace.

Brendan likes to play a slow possession game.

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #84687 on: October 7, 2015, 12:11:29 pm »
Congratulations to @trentaa98 on signing his first professional contract with #LFC http://lfc.tv/AuGd 

Academy youngster Trent Alexander-Arnold has signed his first professional contract with Liverpool Football Club.

The midfielder, who celebrates his 17th birthday today, has put pen to paper on the deal to commit his future to the Reds.

Alexander-Arnold can also operate at right-back and made his senior debut for the club in the position during a pre-season friendly at Swindon Town in August.

The England youth international is also the current captain of Liverpool’s U18s side.

Brilliant

Offline Kelvinlfc

• Legacy Fan
  • #JFT96
« Reply #84688 on: October 7, 2015, 03:51:31 pm »
Whats the latest on Flanno?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84689 on: October 7, 2015, 04:05:18 pm »
Whats the latest on Flanno?

Still injured and will probably be out until well in to next year. Will probably see out the rest of his contract and end up leaving. Massive shame for the lad.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84690 on: October 7, 2015, 04:30:38 pm »

Nah, our best football in 13/14 was very Kloppish. Pressing high up the pitch and capitalising on winning the ball within 40 yards of goal.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84691 on: October 7, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
Nah, our best football in 13/14 was very Kloppish. Pressing high up the pitch and capitalising on winning the ball within 40 yards of goal.
Don't you think Kent would fit that style of play perfectly?

He was absolutely electric in preseason, creating things every time he had the ball. That double-nutmeg was pretty insane for example :)

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84692 on: October 7, 2015, 04:52:40 pm »
They'd all suit it based on how we had the u18s and 21s playing.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84693 on: October 7, 2015, 05:46:37 pm »
On that note then, if the U21's and U18's are already playing that style, how do we think Klopp's arrival (if it happens) will affect us at those levels?

Obviously those coaching/overseeing the coaching at that level currently were all brought in to work with Rodgers.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84694 on: October 7, 2015, 05:56:17 pm »
On that note then, if the U21's and U18's are already playing that style, how do we think Klopp's arrival (if it happens) will affect us at those levels?

Obviously those coaching/overseeing the coaching at that level currently were all brought in to work with Rodgers.
Were the youth coaches appointed by Rodgers himself (like O'Drisoll), or by the club? If they were club hires rather than Brendan's chums then I'd imagine not much will change.

For example, Pep Lijnders appears to have been hired by the club rather than Brendan, and it's been mentioned this week in more than one place that he'll remain in place but perhaps return to the youth academy for the time being.

Regarding style of play at youth level I doubt very much will change either way though. We've focussed on technical attacking play and developed several fast attack-minded players, many of whom should have a great chance of making it under Klopp.

The one thing I'd say though is that I think Klopp will want tactics at youth level to be more closely aligned with that at senior level. His system requires a very precise and meticulous understanding of pressing triggers and attacking patterns, and it would bridge the gap between youth and senior setups if the tactics are fed down to youths as well, albeit while maintaining emphasis on individual skill and not only focussing on tactics primarily.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #84695 on: October 7, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »
I wonder what happens to the Academy now. In recent years the age groups have had to change their formations and styles based on Rodgers' tactics of the month.

Will the Academy be in a state of flux now?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84696 on: October 7, 2015, 06:19:22 pm »
Still injured and will probably be out until well in to next year. Will probably see out the rest of his contract and end up leaving. Massive shame for the lad.

Lots of guesswork there.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84697 on: October 7, 2015, 07:03:47 pm »
Don't you think Kent would fit that style of play perfectly?

He was absolutely electric in preseason, creating things every time he had the ball. That double-nutmeg was pretty insane for example :)

Yeah, wouldn't be surprised if he does. The Wrexham Reus might too ;) Markovic going out on loan could be handy for some of our kids

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84698 on: October 7, 2015, 07:07:13 pm »
I reckon we'll see a Director Of Football/Sporting Director being put in place and the style will be dictated by them. Chances are it'll be someone whose football philosophy fits with Klopp. To be honest I don't think there's that much difference between Rodgers' philosophy and Klopp's, I think the former stole a lot of what we did in 13/14 from the latter.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84699 on: October 7, 2015, 07:32:48 pm »
Markovic going out on loan could be handy for some of our kids

Except we sent all our young wingers who were knocking on the door out on loan too.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84700 on: October 7, 2015, 07:56:25 pm »
Time for Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn to step up. ;)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84701 on: October 7, 2015, 08:24:00 pm »
I wonder what happens to the Academy now. In recent years the age groups have had to change their formations and styles based on Rodgers' tactics of the month.

Will the Academy be in a state of flux now?

I can't imagine there will be much change if any at all.  they are doing a pretty good job of producing good technical players which is exactly the type of player that Klopp will want.  Maybe have the learning new tactics but that's never a bad thing for a young player. 

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84702 on: October 7, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »
Except we sent all our young wingers who were knocking on the door out on loan too.

They're all on youth loans (except Ojo?) so they can be called back

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84703 on: October 7, 2015, 08:50:27 pm »
How has Maguire done so far this season?  Anyone reckon he has a decent shot at establishing himself as Moreno's backup under Klopp?

From what I saw of him in preseason he looked quick and keen to support the attacks, but looked really poor positionally in defense at times. Hopefully some coaching will see a good player develop there.

I don't think Enrique is going to get much of a look-in this season as Klopp builds for the future, so the opportunity should certainly be there for him as we need another LB at some point.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84704 on: October 7, 2015, 09:37:22 pm »

What makes you think he'll see it out then leave? He's one of the few scouse lads at the club and highly regarded (and for good reason). If he gets healthy, which admittedly is a big if, I think he certainly has a future. Seems like a perfect Klopp fullback.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #84705 on: October 7, 2015, 10:15:40 pm »

Could see both him and Brannagan fitting in under Klopp. Don't think Jurgen will just chuck them in mind but given our shortage of players who can provide a spark in both the center of midfield and in wide areas they could get chances quicker than maybe we'd expect.

The youth team plays quite a quick game and both thrive in that environment and both are technically outstanding footballers with a good - and ever improving - physical side. So yeah definitely confident in the pair of them to make an impression, although I'm not sure how long Kent's loan extends to.

I reckon we'll see a Director Of Football/Sporting Director being put in place and the style will be dictated by them. Chances are it'll be someone whose football philosophy fits with Klopp. To be honest I don't think there's that much difference between Rodgers' philosophy and Klopp's, I think the former stole a lot of what we did in 13/14 from the latter.

Thought it was mentioned in a few reports that the club don't want any changes to the academy? Inglethorpe is a solid custodian of Kirkby for as long as he wants it, although there may be some minor changes to coaching routines.
« Last Edit: October 7, 2015, 10:21:08 pm by Chalky Boots »

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84706 on: October 7, 2015, 10:57:49 pm »
What makes you think he'll see it out then leave? He's one of the few scouse lads at the club and highly regarded (and for good reason). If he gets healthy, which admittedly is a big if, I think he certainly has a future. Seems like a perfect Klopp fullback.

Not saying that he wouldn't be a great fit for Klopp. He would be if he could get back to the form he was at. But it's such a rare thing when it comes to knee injuries because one it's very hard to reach the same level physically and two, getting the confidence back is even harder. When you've gone nearly what will be close to two years out of the game, it's going to plague his mind for the rest of his career.

I really, really do hope be manages to get back to his best and be able to play for Liverpool Football Club again, but it's something I unfortunately can't see happening. :(

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84707 on: October 7, 2015, 11:12:53 pm »
Not saying that he wouldn't be a great fit for Klopp. He would be if he could get back to the form he was at. But it's such a rare thing when it comes to knee injuries because one it's very hard to reach the same level physically and two, getting the confidence back is even harder. When you've gone nearly what will be close to two years out of the game, it's going to plague his mind for the rest of his career.

I really, really do hope be manages to get back to his best and be able to play for Liverpool Football Club again, but it's something I unfortunately can't see happening. :(
I love Flanagan's style and think he reads the game excellently to support our press and get some solid tackles in, but I'm skeptical whether he'll fit well in Klopp's all-action system.

Klopp expects his fullbacks to support attacks quickly and decisively - and often - as that's where his teams get width from, but Flanagan is neither particularly fast, nor does he have good crossing ability... even on his strong foot at RB his crossing ability is really poor (see the Fulham away game in 2014 for examples).

He could prove to be an asset for hi reading of the game and tackling alone though, we shall see. The odds will certainly be against him, but I think he'll have til the end of the season to prove his fitness and show Klopp what he's made of.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84708 on: October 7, 2015, 11:22:47 pm »
Just looking at how some of our loanees got on the weekend and its not great reading for some. McLaughlin, Wilson and Awoniyi failed to make it off the bench and Wisdom and Illori failed to even make the bench.

I had such high hopes for McLaughlin a few years ago but injuries seem to have hit him hard.

Not looking good for Wilson either. His club are 3 points adrift at the bottom of the league and I can't seen them giving a slight attacker like him who tries things only the ball many chances.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #84709 on: October 7, 2015, 11:27:13 pm »
Just looking at how some of our loanees got on the weekend and its not great reading for some. McLaughlin, Wilson and Awoniyi failed to make it off the bench and Wisdom and Illori failed to even make the bench.

I had such high hopes for McLaughlin a few years ago but injuries seem to have hit him hard.

Not looking good for Wilson either. His club are 3 points adrift at the bottom of the league and I can't seen them giving a slight attacker like him who tries things only the ball many chances.
Is Wilson's loan a season long loan, or a youth loan? In other words, can we recall him if he's not getting the game time we expect?

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84710 on: October 8, 2015, 12:31:11 pm »

Who?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84711 on: October 8, 2015, 12:32:26 pm »

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84712 on: October 8, 2015, 12:56:23 pm »
From Ajax/Barcelona? Or we talking about a complete different kid?
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84713 on: October 8, 2015, 01:38:21 pm »
From Ajax/Barcelona? Or we talking about a complete different kid?

Completely different.  You are thinking of Bobby Adekayne, 16, who is still waiting for clearance to play for LFC U18s. 

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84714 on: October 8, 2015, 02:07:50 pm »
Live stream for England U19s. Rossiter's playing. Ojo on the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7YzqVgqY4
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84715 on: October 8, 2015, 02:19:12 pm »
Completely different.  You are thinking of Bobby Adekayne, 16, who is still waiting for clearance to play for LFC U18s.

:thumbup

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84716 on: October 8, 2015, 02:45:27 pm »

Pitch is awful, not sure they should be playing on that.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84717 on: October 8, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »
They're playing in a bog  :o England will do well to sneak a goal in these conditions.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84718 on: October 9, 2015, 02:18:08 pm »
"When I'm manager of a club the young players should smile because the chance is as big as it ever was, the door is pretty wide open"

Nice to hear given the talent we have below the first team.

Offline Mr_Morosoph

• Moaning bed wetter, cry wanks for Torres
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84719 on: October 9, 2015, 02:35:14 pm »

I watched this while refreshing twitter for news all afternoon. Rossiter was great. He seemed to adapt better than others to the awful conditions. He quickly figured out what you could and couldn't do while most of the others where taking far too many touches and getting the ball caught up in puddles.
"I was pleased also with Peter Crouch. We have been talking to him, before and after his nose operation, to show more confidence with his heading.

"Now it seems to have worked. Lets say that if he has a few games without scoring again, maybe we should arrange to break his nose again."

Rafa.