Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 842546 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #920 on: November 8, 2011, 12:10:03 am »
Rafa_La has asked me to post the November 8th matches on his behalf so here they are :

Today In History
November 8th

1969 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 39,114

1975 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Steve Heighway 12' John Toshack 46' Kevin Keegan 78'
Att 49,136

1980 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 43,143

1983 Fulham (Milk Cup 3erd round) Craven Cottage 1-1
Ian Rush 65'
Att 20,142

1986 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 3-1
Ian Rush 9' Steve Nicol 15' Craig Johnston 76'
Att 24,045

1997 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League) Anfield 4-0
Steve McManaman 47' Oyvind Leonhardsen 49' Jamie Redknapp 65' Michael Owen 86'
Att 38,006

2006 Birmingham City (Carling Cup 4th round) St Andrews 1-0
Daniel Agger 45'
Att 23,061

2008 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Robbie Keane 33' 42' Alvaro Arbeloa 90'
Att 43,451

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #921 on: November 8, 2011, 12:14:22 am »
i knew about the 21 team thing, but if the rest is right its something kriss can be proud of

i did a season review of that year if anyone wants it

No. I did not know about the 7th November 1987 First Division programme being postponed.

But I was aware that the number of clubs in the top division did change from time to time.

Yes, I would certainly like to see that review please HR. Could you send it to me at chris@lfchistory.net ? Thanks.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: November 8, 2011, 12:15:46 am »
1969 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 39,114

A second successive blank in the First Division after the thrashing at Derby seven days earlier. Bill Shankly chose not to make any changes from the team that had lost at the Baseball Ground. In the League at Anfield this season, the team failed to win more matches than it did win. This was one of seven draws.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: November 8, 2011, 12:16:51 am »
1975 Manchester United (Division One) Anfield 3-1
Steve Heighway 12' John Toshack 46' Kevin Keegan 78'
Att 49,136

United manager Tommy Docherty picked the woeful Paddy Roche in goal and the Irishman kindly dropped an Ian Callaghan cross right onto Steve Heighway’s foot to gift us the opening goal. Keegan made the second for Toshack and the roles were reversed for the third. On their return to the First Division, United performed as poorly at Anfield as they had done during the season in which they left it. Our goals are here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdYmmYsJWik#t=358s

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #924 on: November 8, 2011, 12:18:10 am »
1980 Nottingham Forest (Division One) Anfield 0-0
Att 43,143

The defence of our title continued to ‘hit the buffers’. We dropped to fifth place after this tame draw. Forest were one of five clubs to leave Anfield with a point in this season.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #925 on: November 8, 2011, 12:19:07 am »
1983 Fulham (Milk Cup 3rd round) Craven Cottage 1-1
Ian Rush 65'
Att 20,142

For the second round in a row, we were paired with a London club in the League Cup. Fulham were significantly more awkward opponents than Brentford had been. Kevin Lock even gave the Londoners the lead with a penalty but just two minutes later Ian Rush stretched out his left leg to connect with a cross from the right and we were level. Joe Fagan was thankful to escape with a replay, commenting “I thought Fulham played really well and I couldn't see how we were ever going to get a goal until they relaxed for a minute”.
« Last Edit: November 8, 2011, 12:24:52 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #926 on: November 8, 2011, 12:20:15 am »
Att 24,045

A third successive win (2 League, 1 League Cup) but perhaps more importantly it exorcised the memories of the 4-1 defeat at Luton in the previous away match. I am pretty sure that at this time the away club got both the Upper and Lower Tier in the School End at Loftus Road. Rush and Nicol scored early goals in front of us as we attacked that end in the first half; Gary Bannister pulled one back for Rangers before the interval but Craig Johnston ensured our victory with a quarter of an hour left.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #927 on: November 8, 2011, 12:21:51 am »
Att 38,006

Although the goals did not come until the second half, Tottenham played with all the confidence and expectation of a club that had won just 5 times in its previous 54 visits to Anfield. Jamie Redknapp scored the pick of our goals. It’s at 41 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GWBQT7KwA

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #928 on: November 8, 2011, 12:22:48 am »
Daniel Agger 45'
Att 23,061

A somewhat scrappy win at St. Andrews, where the locals were probably just happy that we didn’t get seven like our previous visit in the other domestic cup earlier in the same calendar year. Craig Bellamy hit a tame penalty straight at Maik Taylor otherwise our victory would have been more comfortable. This was the match in which Momo Sissoko dislocated a shoulder, ironically at the same venue where he had earlier made his return from a much more serious eye injury.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #929 on: November 8, 2011, 12:24:07 am »
2008 Westbromwich Albion (Premier League) Anfield 3-0
Robbie Keane 33' 42' Alvaro Arbeloa 90'
Att 43,451

It was the 7 home draws that cost us so much in this 2008-09 season. If only some of those draws had been comfortable wins like this one over West Bromwich Albion. Robbie Keane finally scored his first Premier League goals for Liverpool at the 12th attempt. Even Alvaro Arbeloa got in on the act with a neat left-footed strike in the final minute.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #930 on: November 8, 2011, 10:15:50 am »
Daniel Agger 45'
Att 23,061

A somewhat scrappy win at St. Andrews, where the locals were probably just happy that we didn’t get seven like our previous visit in the other domestic cup earlier in the same calendar year. Craig Bellamy hit a tame penalty straight at Maik Taylor otherwise our victory would have been more comfortable. This was the match in which Momo Sissoko dislocated a shoulder, ironically at the same venue where he had earlier made his return from a much more serious eye injury.
that was a terrible penalty

taylor seemed to dive ages before this and bellamy still went the same side.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: November 8, 2011, 10:18:07 am »
No. I did not know about the 7th November 1987 First Division programme being postponed.

But I was aware that the number of clubs in the top division did change from time to time.

Yes, I would certainly like to see that review please HR. Could you send it to me at chris@lfchistory.net ? Thanks.
ill pm you the link

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #932 on: November 8, 2011, 07:59:24 pm »
you share it with my mrs

always thought there was something weird about you
Also Shares his Birthday with my missus too

Remember last year's Torres double v Chelsea, I put the missus in the programme for the birthday but unfortunately couldn't get the 2 tickets so we watched it with her Gran and Mum at her Gran's. That 2nd goal was amazing and I thought we would get more in the 2nd half
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #933 on: November 8, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »
i knew about the 21 team thing, but if the rest is right its something kriss can be proud of

i did a season review of that year if anyone wants it

I can't recall when and why the fixtures were postponed, but I am 110% certain that there was a 1st Division programme scheduled for that day when the fixture lists were printed. What I'll try and do is dig out one of the early match programmes from that season such as Oxford or Charlton to see if it was showing a game for that date.

What a season that was! I would be very interested in seeing your review of it if it's not too much trouble. My email address is ADMOLYNEUX@GOOGLEMAIL.COM.

Thanks Hellrazor.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #934 on: November 8, 2011, 10:59:48 pm »
Att 24,045

A third successive win (2 League, 1 League Cup) but perhaps more importantly it exorcised the memories of the 4-1 defeat at Luton in the previous away match. I am pretty sure that at this time the away club got both the Upper and Lower Tier in the School End at Loftus Road. Rush and Nicol scored early goals in front of us as we attacked that end in the first half; Gary Bannister pulled one back for Rangers before the interval but Craig Johnston ensured our victory with a quarter of an hour left.

One side issue concerns after this match. People who were there may not be aware of this, but after the players were showered and changed they made the short trip to BBC Television Centre where they made a guest appearnce in the audience on Noel Edmonds Late Late Breakfast Show. Some of them were spoken to by Noel about the match.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: November 8, 2011, 11:07:11 pm »
Also Shares his Birthday with my missus too

Remember last year's Torres double v Chelsea, I put the missus in the programme for the birthday but unfortunately couldn't get the 2 tickets so we watched it with her Gran and Mum at her Gran's. That 2nd goal was amazing and I thought we would get more in the 2nd half
he had a great record vs them

AlanM check your inbox

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #936 on: November 8, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »
Today In History
November 9th

1963 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Burnden Park 2-1
Roger Hunt 25' Ian Callaghan 65'
Att 23,824

1966 Burnley (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Chris Lawler 4' Peter Thompson 89'

1968 Chelsea (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Ian Callaghan 25' Tommy Smith 28'
Att 47,248

1974 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 1-3
Ray Kennedy 53'
Att 43,850

1976 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 5-1
Steve Heighway 26' John Toshack 32' Phil Neal 70'(Pen) Joey Jones 72' Kevin Keegan 82' (Pen)
Att 39,851

1985 Coventry City (Division One) Highfield Road 3-0
Jim Beglin 5' Paul Walsh 47' Ian Rush 81'
Att 16,947

1988 Arsenal (Littlewoods Cup 3erd round replay) Highbury 0-0
Att 54,029

1994 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Robbie Fowler 9' 10' Neil Ruddock 25'
Att 32,855

2000 Slovan Liberec (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) U Nisy Stadium 3-2
Nick Barmby 31' Emile Heskey 75' Michael Owen 82'
Att 6,808

2002 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside 0-1
Att 34,747

2003 Manchester United (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Harry Kewell 75'
Att 44,159

2009 Birmingham City (Premier League) Anfield 2-2
David Ngog 13' Steven Gerrard 71' (Pen)
Att 42,560

BIRTHDAYS
Jimmy Carter (1965)

DEBUT GOAL
Joey Jones (1976)
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #937 on: November 8, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »
Att 38,006

Although the goals did not come until the second half, Tottenham played with all the confidence and expectation of a club that had won just 5 times in its previous 54 visits to Anfield. Jamie Redknapp scored the pick of our goals. It’s at 41 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8GWBQT7KwA

In the 1st half we were terrible, but whatever Roy Evans said at half time had the desired effect, and two early 2nd half goals knocked the stuffing out of Tottenham. Michael Owen's late goal was his 1st at Anfield for the 1st team, his previous goals being at Wimbledon (twice), Blackburn and Celtic. In the next home game he scored his 1st hat-trick in a 3-0 League Cup win against Grimsby.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #938 on: November 8, 2011, 11:33:12 pm »
Today In History
November 9th

1963 Bolton Wanderers (Division One) Burnden Park 2-1
Roger Hunt 25' Ian Callaghan 65'
Att 23,824
Att 42,560

Anyone who suggests David Ngog dived to win the penalty should be barred from this site!!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #939 on: November 8, 2011, 11:42:03 pm »
Anyone who suggests David Ngog dived to win the penalty should be barred from this site!!!

Looks like I have a few minutes before midnight arrives to rapidly revise my text and so avoid the possibility of being barred, Alan.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #940 on: November 8, 2011, 11:52:21 pm »
1974 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 1-3
Ray Kennedy 53'
Att 43,850

Arsenal’s third successive League win at Anfield. Ray Kennedy, who had scored the late winner for Arsenal in the previous season, equalised against his former club but that strike wasn’t enough to earn even one point.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: November 8, 2011, 11:53:19 pm »
1976 Leicester City (Division One) Anfield 5-1
Steve Heighway 26' John Toshack 32' Phil Neal 70'(Pen) Joey Jones 72' Kevin Keegan 82' (Pen)
Att 39,851

Five different scorers including a first senior Liverpool goal for Joey Jones. We were also awarded two penalties either side of Joey’s goal. Neal took and scored the first but even though he was still on the pitch when the second spot-kick was awarded, Keegan took and scored that one.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #942 on: November 8, 2011, 11:54:53 pm »
1988 Arsenal (Littlewoods Cup 3rd round replay) Highbury 0-0
Att 54,029

Another League Cup stalemate with Arsenal following the Anfield draw a week earlier. So now a third match would be needed to determine which club would earn the right to a 4th round meeting with West Ham at Upton Park.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #943 on: November 8, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »
1994 Chelsea (Premier League) Anfield 3-1
Robbie Fowler 9' 10' Neil Ruddock 25'
Att 32,855

A Wednesday evening match that got off to a sensational start with three goals in the opening ten minutes. John Spencer put Chelsea ahead before two goals in a minute from Robbie Fowler (a carefully-placed left-foot shot and a close-range header) gave us the lead. Before the interval Neil Ruddock had extended our lead. After winning at Anfield in February 1992 for the first time since 1966, Chelsea were embarking on another run of twelve defeats and draws before they would be victorious at our stadium again.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: November 8, 2011, 11:57:10 pm »
2000 Slovan Liberec (UEFA Cup 2nd round 2nd leg) U Nisy Stadium 3-2
Nick Barmby 31' Emile Heskey 75' Michael Owen 82'
Att 6,808

The club’s first visit to the modern Czech Republic/former Czechoslovakia (although we had played a Slovakian club from Kosice two years earlier). Although we arrived with a narrow one-nil lead, before ten minutes had gone the aggregate scores were level. But the team did not panic. Christian Ziege’s cross was headed home by Nick Barmby after half an hour but the wait for more goals was a long and frustrating one. Eventually Emile Heskey and Michael Owen put us in a commanding position. Owen, on as a substitute for Dietmar Hamann, scored within a minute of taking to the pitch. The second Slovan goal, which came too late to affect our progress to the third round of the UEFA Cup, was also scored by a substitute (David Breda) and was by some way the best goal of the game.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2011, 01:27:55 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #945 on: November 8, 2011, 11:58:29 pm »
Att 34,747

A real watershed moment in Gerard Houllier’s spell as manager. Although we arrived on … and left … Tees-side as the Premier League leaders, this defeat would have a serious knock-on effect as the team did not win another League match until the middle of January 2003, by which time we had dropped to 7th place in the table. Houllier was castigated for his team-selection and tactics against a club we were quite capable of beating under normal circumstances. With ten minutes left, Dudek dropped a high cross from Nemeth and Gareth Southgate tapped in the loose ball.

Was this the match where Houllier blamed the goal/defeat on a slippery or icy ball ?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #946 on: November 8, 2011, 11:59:37 pm »
2003 Manchester United (Premier League) Anfield 1-2
Harry Kewell 75'
Att 44,159

A third home League defeat of the season (there would eventually be five) and we dropped to 8th place in the table after this loss. The second of three successive League wins for United at Anfield. Jerzy Dudek, vilified for the two goals he had conceded to Diego Forlan in the previous season’s encounter, was again culpable as he allowed a cross from Giggs to curl past him. A second goal from Giggs followed soon afterwards. All we got as consolation was a sweet strike from Harry Kewell, the 4th of 7 League goals he would score during the season. Minutes after that goal, Graham Poll refused to award a penalty-kick when Rio Ferdinand clattered into Sinama-Pongolle. El Hadji Diouf was called off by Gerard Houllier after doing fuck all for 70 minutes, thereby allowing Anthony Le Tallec to do fuck all for the next 20.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #947 on: November 9, 2011, 12:01:19 am »
Att 42,560

A Monday evening match that had two main talking-points : a stunning, dipping long-range volley from Cameron Jerome that flew past Reina before he could blink, surely one of the best goals any visiting player has ever scored at Anfield; and the fall by David Ngog which persuaded Peter Walton to award a penalty following a no-contact attempt to tackle by Lee Carsley.

There you are, Alan. I said he fell; I didn’t say he dived ;).

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: November 9, 2011, 12:12:13 am »
Att 42,560

A Monday evening match that had two main talking-points : a stunning, dipping long-range volley from Cameron Jerome that flew past Reina before he could blink, surely one of the best goals any visiting player has ever scored at Anfield; and the fall by David Ngog which persuaded Peter Walton to award a penalty following a no-contact attempt to tackle by Lee Carsley.

There you are, Alan. I said he fell; I didn’t say he dived ;).

I remember that game well. I'd come up from uni to watch which meant I didn't get back until about 4am and also meant I had to go by National Express coach and for most of the journey back I was wedged up against the window by some fat bastard. The frustration felt during the game itself summed up much of that season. We were a better side than Birmingham on paper but we couldn't translate that into a victory, even after Ngog had given us the lead. I was standing in 305 and so was basically right behind Jerome's shot and you could tell from the moment he hit it that it was going in. It was a superb volley, but as I recall he should never have been presented with the opportunity.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #949 on: November 9, 2011, 12:29:03 am »
I remember that game well. I'd come up from uni to watch which meant I didn't get back until about 4am and also meant I had to go by National Express coach and for most of the journey back I was wedged up against the window by some fat bastard. The frustration felt during the game itself summed up much of that season. We were a better side than Birmingham on paper but we couldn't translate that into a victory, even after Ngog had given us the lead. I was standing in 305 and so was basically right behind Jerome's shot and you could tell from the moment he hit it that it was going in. It was a superb volley, but as I recall he should never have been presented with the opportunity.

Here is Cameron Jerome's goal (from 1 minute 30 seconds on this clip) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy5ZWTkxDDI

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #950 on: November 9, 2011, 08:19:19 am »
that birmingham game was a massive dive by ngog, i wasnt complaining as a number of refs ripped us off at numerous stages that season, stoke away, spurs away and arsenal away to name a few

i was at that match in 2003 against united. diouf actually did ok from what i remember. it was a real sickener though, was in the sandon after and i remember atleast 6 of us in a circle not saying a word after, was like someone died

worst moments were rio ferdinand (who got dogs abuse from us all game as it was around the time he forgot to take a drugs test) took down pongolle. should have been a penalty but i was convinced if pongolle had have just got up he would have tapped it in. can remember danny murphy also waiting an eternity at one stage for the ball to drop to him with the goal at his mercy. and worst of all in the last minute emile heskey was clean through. i had visions of him blasting it through the goalkeepers head but he proceeded to fall over and pretty much slide it out of play.

any patience the supporters had with him was gone after that

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #951 on: November 9, 2011, 09:12:05 am »
that birmingham game was a massive dive by ngog, i wasnt complaining as a number of refs ripped us off at numerous stages that season, stoke away, spurs away and arsenal away to name a few

i was at that match in 2003 against united. diouf actually did ok from what i remember. it was a real sickener though, was in the sandon after and i remember atleast 6 of us in a circle not saying a word after, was like someone died

worst moments were rio ferdinand (who got dogs abuse from us all game as it was around the time he forgot to take a drugs test) took down pongolle. should have been a penalty but i was convinced if pongolle had have just got up he would have tapped it in. can remember danny murphy also waiting an eternity at one stage for the ball to drop to him with the goal at his mercy. and worst of all in the last minute emile heskey was clean through. i had visions of him blasting it through the goalkeepers head but he proceeded to fall over and pretty much slide it out of play.

Quote from: ALANM on Yesterday at 11:33:12 PM

Alan won't like what you said there!

You are probably right about Diouf. My harsh comments were more about his general apathetic attitude as a Liverpool player (in my opinion) than picking on him for his performance in this one match.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: November 9, 2011, 09:22:02 am »
Quote from: ALANM on Yesterday at 11:33:12 PM

Alan won't like what you said there!

You are probably right about Diouf. My harsh comments were more about his general apathetic attitude as a Liverpool player (in my opinion) than picking on him for his performance in this one match.

he got a nice PM to sweeten him :D

to be honest I dont know why defend diouf, he is my least favorite Liverpool player ever

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #953 on: November 9, 2011, 09:44:43 am »
Att 34,747

Was this the match where Houllier blamed the goal/defeat on a slippery or icy ball ?

No, that was Boxing Day 1999 where we again lost 1-0 - Karambeu I think. Westerveld was the keeper. God we had an awful record at the Riverside, the worst for me was the League Cup semi when they were in the Championship and we were 2 down within 5 minutes.

I vividly remember that too. I really thought Le Tallec and FSP were the future though! As I remember, when they came on we suddenly had some impetus and they played with a real lack of fear.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #954 on: November 9, 2011, 09:52:51 am »
I vividly remember that too. I really thought Le Tallec and FSP were the future though! As I remember, when they came on we suddenly had some impetus and they played with a real lack of fear.
yeah i thought they would really come good, in particular le tallec, i nearly got his name on a shirt one year

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #955 on: November 9, 2011, 12:07:00 pm »
No, that was Boxing Day 1999 where we again lost 1-0 - Karambeu I think. Westerveld was the keeper. God we had an awful record at the Riverside, the worst for me was the League Cup semi when they were in the Championship and we were 2 down within 5 minutes.

Thank you, Nick. It's what I like about this forum ... and this thread in particular, the incredible encyclopedic knowledge of supporters like yourself, HELLRAZOR and ALANM amongst others.

It was Boxing Day 2000. On Boxing Day 1999 we were away at Newcastle.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #956 on: November 9, 2011, 12:14:50 pm »
Thank you, Nick. It's what I like about this forum ... and this thread in particular, the incredible encyclopedic knowledge of supporters like yourself, HELLRAZOR and ALANM amongst others.

It was Boxing Day 2000. On Boxing Day 1999 we were away at Newcastle.

Gah! I got the year wrong? I'll blame it on it being close to Christmas me being a bit mixed up! Away to Newcastle in 99? Was that a 2-2 draw around the time they had Big Dunc playing for them?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #957 on: November 9, 2011, 12:16:34 pm »
Gah! I got the year wrong? I'll blame it on it being close to Christmas me being a bit mixed up! Away to Newcastle in 99? Was that a 2-2 draw around the time they had Big Dunc playing for them?
yeah it was, im pretty sure he scored that day too

theres gonna be millions of entries for december 26 games

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #958 on: November 9, 2011, 12:20:00 pm »

theres gonna be millions of entries for december 26 games

Was thinking that! Then summer will be a lull, we'll have to dig into the murky world of pre season friendlies and player signings!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #959 on: November 9, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »
yeah it was, im pretty sure he scored that day too

Correct. Ferguson and Shearer for them; Owen (2) for us. Shearer was credited with their first goal anway. Solano crossed from the right, no defender dealt with it and Shearer seemed to get a slight touch to divert the ball past Westerveld.