Author Topic: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho  (Read 307433 times)

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: LFC sign Mamadou Sakho
« Reply #120 on: September 3, 2013, 01:07:22 am »
Brilliant signing.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 3, 2013, 01:08:18 am »
Hopefully he turns out to be nearer to a Sami than a Djimi
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #122 on: September 3, 2013, 01:09:43 am »
Thanks

My only concern is that he was 4th choice at PSG. 
That's after they brought another CB in recently.
Something they know?
Since he was 4th choice, how much have our scouts seen?

I'm not concerned by that to be honest.  He lost his place because Thiago Silva told Ancelotti that he would rather play alongside Alex, Sakho is the typical example of excellent homegrown talent being squeezed out by high-profile, big-money signings.  The scouts would have seen his form when he was playing regularly for PSG and being touted as one of the best young defensive talents in the game, there's no doubting his quality and potential in my mind but, much like Sturridge and Coutinho, he needs a platform to play regularly and show it.  He has pace, power, physicality, excellent technical and aerial ability, he offers us all the attributes that we've wanted in a centre-back and certainly won't be bullied by anyone.   

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 3, 2013, 01:14:55 am »
I'm not concerned by that to be honest.  He lost his place because Thiago Silva told Ancelotti that he would rather play alongside Alex, Sakho is the typical example of excellent homegrown talent being squeezed out by high-profile, big-money signings.  The scouts would have seen his form when he was playing regularly for PSG and being touted as one of the best young defensive talents in the game, there's no doubting his quality and potential in my mind but, much like Sturridge and Coutinho, he needs a platform to play regularly and show it.  He has pace, power, physicality, excellent technical and aerial ability, he offers us all the attributes that we've wanted in a centre-back and certainly won't be bullied by anyone.   
Yes. It does seem that the club scouts are looking for serious talents at BIG(rich*) clubs, who have been
by passed due to expensive marquee signings.

Sakho does look the beast compared with Sami!  :)

My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #124 on: September 3, 2013, 01:49:25 am »
Anyone else think the 'left-sided centre-half' comment by Brendan was a subtle nudge at Agger to motivate him to fight for his spot?

There's no question in my mind that once Sakho adjusts to the league/system, he's one of the two best we've got, likely along with Agger.

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 3, 2013, 01:53:04 am »
He lost his place because Thiago Silva told Ancelotti that he would rather play alongside Alex

That's not true, he lost his place because Alex was more consistent in training and on the field. The fact that he's also Brazilian and that Silva's French wasn't brilliant at the time helped but it wasn't the reason he was picked over Sakho.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 3, 2013, 01:53:29 am »
He looks like a Pirate

Offline NetSpend

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: September 3, 2013, 01:53:33 am »
What's the 'beast' chat all about?
Paul Ince said that he had turned Jamie Redknappe into a monster of a midfielder by teaching him how to tackle.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 3, 2013, 01:59:15 am »
That's not true, he lost his place because Alex was more consistent in training and on the field. The fact that he's also Brazilian and that Silva's French wasn't brilliant at the time helped but it wasn't the reason he was picked over Sakho.

And you know this for certain how?
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 3, 2013, 02:07:31 am »
And you know this for certain how?

I have a fondness for PSG, Sakho is like their Gerrard and Carra rolled into one. He's had a lot of issues over the years but when he first started not getting into the side on a regular basis (when Ancelotti came in) there were unsurprisingly a lot of questions about it. He was dropped before they'd even signed Thiago.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #130 on: September 3, 2013, 02:08:21 am »
Never seen him play before but I'm already christening him our Thuram
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #131 on: September 3, 2013, 02:08:34 am »
Squeezing out homegrown talent in favour of big name foreign signings is endemic to these clubs with sudden, massive wealth. We benefited from this circumstance in the Sturridge deal, let's hope Sakho has a similar fortune here. I have high hopes. He's very physically imposing already which we were missing a little bit from our CB ranks until Toure arrived.
"Behave yourself".

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #132 on: September 3, 2013, 02:11:12 am »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #133 on: September 3, 2013, 02:12:16 am »

Not according to Thiago Silva:

“Sakho is a good defender, very technical. The big difference is that Alex has more experience. I must confess that, even though I felt fine [playing] with both, I was more calm with Alex. I prefer him.”

Thiago Silva wanted to play alongside Alex and Ancelotti was happy to accommodate that wish.  It's neither here nor there now anyway, whatever happened at PSG is in the past.  I've seen Sakho play a lot and think he is a quality defender who has all the attributes to become even better.  I couldn't be happier that he is our player now, PSG's loss is Liverpool's gain and I can't wait to see him in a red shirt.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 3, 2013, 02:13:04 am »
Never seen him play before but I'm already christening him our Thuram

;D

You could do better than that surely?

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 3, 2013, 02:16:45 am »

“Sakho is a good defender, very technical. The big difference is that Alex has more experience. I must confess that, even though I felt fine [playing] with both, I was more calm with Alex. I prefer him.”

Thiago Silva wanted to play alongside Alex and Ancelotti was happy to accommodate that wish.

As I've already said, he was dropped before they'd even signed Thiago. I don't doubt that it probably made things easier for Thiago in terms of bedding in but it isn't the reason he was dropped from the side. Ancelotti just didn't fancy him is the short version. Didn't think he was taking his career seriously enough, knew and trusted Alex and put him in instead.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: September 3, 2013, 02:20:14 am »
As I've already said, he was dropped before they'd even signed Thiago. I don't doubt that it probably made things easier for Thiago in terms of bedding in but it isn't the reason he was dropped from the side. Ancelotti just didn't fancy him is the short version. Didn't think he was taking his career seriously enough, knew and trusted Alex and put him in instead.

It worked out well for everyone in the end then, Thiago Silva got to play alongside the centre-back partner he preferred and Liverpool have signed an excellent young player with a point to prove.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 3, 2013, 02:21:11 am »
I'm just so happy. Any word on what number he'll be wearing?
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline NetSpend

• Main Stander
« Reply #138 on: September 3, 2013, 02:22:11 am »
True, but I'd expect that most right footed players have more experience playing on the 'wrong' side of defence than the left-footed ones. As it is much more common to be right footed, in most teams, a right footer must play on the left side of the central defence.

But a left footed centre half would almost always stay on the left side, wouldn't he? Unless you have two of them - which must be quite rare - there is no reason to move a left footer from that position, is there? And that goes all the way back to when one starts playing football, so the adaptation is likely more difficult when it comes to Sakho and Agger than the examples you give. But that said, I'm sure that the difference in how you play in each position isn't that great. Hopefully, it will work fine after a while.

I agree, as a defender a general rule is to tackle with the foot furthest from the attacker and since you usually want to show an attacker away from goal that will be your left foot if on the left and so on. It seems small but its a big adjustment to make to your game and i'd be amazed if Agger could play on the right. I think Sami was a zen master of defending and carra was just a brilliant tackler full stop and they might be the exception rather than the rule.

I've not seen Sakho but if he's not comfortable playing on the right as is then maybe Agger will need to up his game.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 3, 2013, 02:23:36 am »
It worked out well for everyone in the end then, Thiago Silva got to play alongside the centre-back partner he preferred and Liverpool have signed an excellent young player with a point to prove.

Definitely, just irks me a little when people say that Sakho was pushed out due to expensive signings. It's just not true, his replacement cost the monstrous fee of 4 million and at the time he was dropped his competition was Camara, Lugano and Alex.... He was given plenty of chances, arguably too many and he just didn't pull his finger out. It's a real shame because the Parisians love him.

Anyway, brilliant bit of business for us if Rodgers can get his head screwed on straight.

Offline USC19Babel

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: September 3, 2013, 02:41:46 am »
I imagine he'll have been told prior to joining that he's going to play a significant role in the starting XI, so who do we reckon he'll be partnering? Surely one of Agger or Toure, but which of the two doesn't seem entirely clear to me (at least when they're both fit).

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #141 on: September 3, 2013, 02:43:05 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if he rotated with Agger, being a left centre-back?

Offline LiverbirdLFC

• Main Stander
  • Big Andy
« Reply #142 on: September 3, 2013, 02:45:15 am »
Beast is thrown out a lot, but if you have watched this guy play then you know he deserves the BEAST title. This is a signing that makes me proud.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 3, 2013, 02:51:28 am »
I imagine he'll have been told prior to joining that he's going to play a significant role in the starting XI, so who do we reckon he'll be partnering?

I'd have said Toure myself, I can't see how him and Agger can fit into the same side unless we play 3 at the back and even then it'd be awkward

Offline theoupsilon

• Main Stander
« Reply #144 on: September 3, 2013, 02:54:58 am »
Agger is our vice captain and I can't see him benched if fit.
I think Sakho will have to fight for his place with Toure. The two of them have a similar style of play so hopefully the French lad can benefit from Kolo's experience etc.
In Brendan Rodgers We Trust

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 3, 2013, 02:55:03 am »
Welcome Mamadou!

So who would you start at center back two weeks from now?

Skrtel showed top form against United, Toure should be back from injury and now we have Sakho.

From having a paper thin collection of center backs we note are left with an abundance of riches :)

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 3, 2013, 03:30:45 am »
Beast is thrown out a lot, but if you have watched this guy play then you know he deserves the BEAST title. This is a signing that makes me proud.

Release the Kraken!!!!!!

Offline IndianKopite

• Anny Roader
  • Liverpool 4ever!!!
« Reply #147 on: September 3, 2013, 03:33:04 am »
I'm not concerned by that to be honest.  He lost his place because Thiago Silva told Ancelotti that he would rather play alongside Alex,

But he was third choice even before Silva came to PSG, wasn't he ? #Notsure

Online Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #148 on: September 3, 2013, 03:33:28 am »
Welcome, lad.

Just a question folks. You think Brendan will go three at the back? More defensive pressure higher up the pitch this way, perhaps?

Offline Mogzz

• Kemlynite
« Reply #149 on: September 3, 2013, 03:53:09 am »
Welcome, lad.

Just a question folks. You think Brendan will go three at the back? More defensive pressure higher up the pitch this way, perhaps?

with the injury to Johnson I can see this being a possibility. However with our current run of form I think he will stick to 4 at the back.

Offline NetSpend

• Main Stander
« Reply #150 on: September 3, 2013, 04:07:59 am »
Welcome, lad.

Mingo

Kolo                     Agger                     Sakho

Gerrard                 Lucas

Henderson                                                                                        Johnson

Couthinho

Luis                                              Dani               

Agger gets a perm, grows a moustache, we give him really tight shorts and he plays as an oldschool sweeper.

Our best 11 players on the pitch?

Offline KopThat

• "See Tom turn red, See Tom run, Oh happy days."
  • Legacy Fan
  • He who laughs last, didn't quite get the joke...
    • GameFaceMe
« Reply #151 on: September 3, 2013, 04:29:20 am »
We may not have a team of Carraghers, but we are getting close to a team of Centre Backs

Offline IAmZlatan

• Anny Roader
  • Honorary Blackbelt
« Reply #152 on: September 3, 2013, 06:57:56 am »
Absolute colossus of a defender. Remember when we were first linked with Sakho under Rafa when he was just a teenager. At 23, he is still far off from his peak and is already a man mountain. The only concern like many have pointed out is that we will have two left footers in the centre which is certainly unorthodox. The 3 at the back is certainly an interesting shout. In Skrtel, Sakho and Agger (and potentially Toure and Ilori), we will have three big, mobile centre backs who are all comfortable on the ball. With Johnson on the right, Enrique/Cissokho on the left and Lucas through the middle, that is a very, very good platform from which a mobile front four could operate from.
“I like fireworks too, but I set them off in gardens or kebab stands. I never set fire to my own house.”

Offline usernamefc

• Kinky Winky Apiary Japery
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 3, 2013, 07:11:40 am »
Don't get the issue of 2 left footed centre backs. Teams play 2 right footed centre backs all the time...

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #154 on: September 3, 2013, 07:19:33 am »

Thiago Silva wanted to play alongside Alex and Ancelotti was happy to accommodate that wish.  It's neither here nor there now anyway, whatever happened at PSG is in the past.  I've seen Sakho play a lot and think he is a quality defender who has all the attributes to become even better.  I couldn't be happier that he is our player now, PSG's loss is Liverpool's gain and I can't wait to see him in a red shirt.

Should I be worried that Djimi was a hero of yours? ;)
I kid! I kid! ;D

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #155 on: September 3, 2013, 07:20:56 am »
Don't get the issue of 2 left footed centre backs. Teams play 2 right footed centre backs all the time...

The thing is, Toure has been playing better than Agger anyway, who happens to be playing in Sakho's preferred position.  It WOULD seem odd if Agger found himself on the bench right after being named vice captain, but surely you have to play the players who are performing best? We definitely needed cover for Agger's position, but getting such good cover wasn't what I expected!

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #156 on: September 3, 2013, 07:21:00 am »
Will be interesting to see if Brendan throws him (Sakho) straight into the team vs Swansea or goes with Skrtel after Skrtel excellent performance v Manu.

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 3, 2013, 07:28:35 am »
Is he in the french squad for their upcoming qualies?

Offline RivaGe

• Legacy Fan
  • walk on
« Reply #158 on: September 3, 2013, 07:29:48 am »
Can him and Agger even play together? A left footed centre-back on the right side doesn't sound right at all.

I think it has to be either one or the other. And you could say Sakho has a fair chance, with Agger's current form.
Jesus christ how sick I am of hearing this. There are obviously no same-footed defensive pairings in the world!

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #159 on: September 3, 2013, 07:35:59 am »
Jesus christ how sick I am of hearing this. There are obviously no same-footed defensive pairings in the world!

Toure has been playing better than Agger though...you'd still drop him over Agger to play Sakho away from his favourite position? Seems a bit crazy to me.