Author Topic: Martin Kelly  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Z e u s

• Greek God of Whinging. But for the good of the forum! Son of Moanus and Rhea.
  • Legacy Fan
Martin Kelly
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:08:36 pm »
This guy should be a regular in our team.

He's not only the future, but whenever he has played he has impressed and shown he is also the present.

If he doesn't get in at centre back, or right back, then he should be played at left back - as he is better than Konchesky, in the air, at tackling, in possession and basically or aspects of the game.

It is clear we are in a transition period and I personally would rather see players such as Kelly getting experience over liabilites such as Konchesky.

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Martin Kelly
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 02:09:21 pm »
Agree, looks a decent player. That said I wouldn't play him out of position.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 02:20:58 pm »

Ideally I wouldn't either.

I mean I think Johnson should be tried at right wing, especially when Kuyt is not on form.  That would enable the more solid defensively Kelly to play at right back.

But it seems Roy is reluctant to try this.

If he isn't going to get games in that position, then I think he'd do a better job than Konchesky on the left, who is no better than Kelly, in my opinion.

I actually think left back should be one of  our priorities in January.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »
The lad can play. You do not develop great players by playing them out of position though. You do not fix left back by playing an unestablished right back there. Likely end up with an out of sorts youngster. Fix left back and give the lad time in a spot that he does well in to give him confidence. Konchesky is a step back from Insua who was a bit underdone to hold left back in a top 4 side. Has the talent though which Konchesky clearly does not.  I am a big fan of playing Johnson right wing but i doubt conservative managers or many fans agree. Football is about opinions though.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »
I don't think Konchecky is a step back from Insua personally, I just don't think he is a step up.

For me, neither were / are good enough.

I agree Kelly should play in a position he is comfortable in, but for me he should be playing, as he's good enough.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:40:37 pm »
Play him in central defence when agger comes back becuase im not convinced on the other two. Plus playing with agger he might learn how to play football rather than hoofball.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:41:48 pm »
He can't do any worse than Skrtel at the moment. And its about time our defenders were actually dropped for making big mistakes rather than rewarded with constant selection.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 02:43:32 pm »
To be fair to Skrtel that was probably his first bad game all season.  He just had a bad day at the office, it happens - just ask Torres or Carragher against Man U earlier in the season.

I still think Soto should have been marking Carroll at the set plays though.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 02:45:06 pm »
He can't do any worse than Skrtel at the moment. And its about time our defenders were actually dropped for making big mistakes rather than rewarded with constant selection.

Agreed. Skrtel has been appaling of late.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 03:40:21 pm »
I think Johnson would be a revelation at right mid/wing, and I think Kelly is a little more defensively minded, and we need that right now.

It shouldn't be considered a permanent solution though, if we put all that pressure on Kelly's shoulders so quick he might struggle as Insua did despite the talent they both clearly have.

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
  • those were the days my friend.
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »
This guy should be a regular in our team.

He's not only the future, but whenever he has played he has impressed and shown he is also the present.

If he doesn't get in at centre back, or right back, then he should be played at left back - as he is better than Konchesky, in the air, at tackling, in possession and basically or aspects of the game.

It is clear we are in a transition period and I personally would rather see players such as Kelly getting experience over liabilites such as Konchesky.

I would play him instead of Skertel at the minute. He has been poor for some time now. With agger still injured we are short of options. I agree he is better than Konchesky but I wouldnt play him out of position. Im sure he would do a good job but I think its best if we play him as a centre half.
The Boss is fucking boss!

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 04:04:43 pm »
I don't think Konchecky is a step back from Insua personally, I just don't think he is a step up.

For me, neither were / are good enough.

I agree Kelly should play in a position he is comfortable in, but for me he should be playing, as he's good enough.

I would like to see Insua back and playing in a squad were his is not the only fit left back. I think he started well for us but when Aurelio was injured there was too much responsibility on his shoulder and his performances suffered.

Offline fizzyp

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 04:10:35 pm »
To be fair to Skrtel that was probably his first bad game all season.  He just had a bad day at the office, it happens - just ask Torres or Carragher against Man U earlier in the season.

I still think Soto should have been marking Carroll at the set plays though.

In the united game Torres won the penalty and was fouled on the egde of the box for Gerrards free kick.

Offline Milly

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • JFT 96
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2010, 04:23:10 pm »
Kelly Wilson CB pairing for me.... Go On Roy i dare ya
Smash it ??

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »
dont get what the clamour is for kelly, decent player yeh, local talent and all that, whats he done so far to suggest he should be playing week in week out? just because the rest arent good enough? or he should be in the team because hes top 4 quality reguardless of how bad the other defenders are?
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 01:02:14 pm »
Interesting little moment against Utrecht the other night. Kelly had the ball in his RB position and beat his man on the inside but turned into trouble. Anyway, the ball gets knocked out for a Liverpool throw and as Kelly picks up the ball, he's looking at the bench and Mr Hodgson is obviously saying something to him because Kelly starts nodding and gestures with his left hand, as if to say, "I know, I know, knock it high and long".

'Twas very depressing.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »
I like to see him get a couple of games in his prefered CB position.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »

I would play him at full back before he plays centre back regularly. Carra did it and it helped him greatly. It will help Kelly become an organiser as he will know the responsibilities require from full back and centre back.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Moe Szyslak

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 01:19:17 pm »
Kelly did play lb for Huddersfield on loan, I think he would be an improvement on Konchesky, Carra was very good there in the treble season, granted he wouldn't be fantastic going forward but with Konchesky he's poor defending and attacking so I'd see Kelly as an improvement.

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 01:23:45 pm »
I dont think he's ready to be a regular at CB and he isn't as good a player as Glen Johnson (despite his massive potential he might not ever be) so shouldn't be first choice right-back. I think the way he is being bedded in and given experience at the moment is absolutely fine, hopefully he continues his progression.
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »
dont get what the clamour is for kelly, decent player yeh, local talent and all that, whats he done so far to suggest he should be playing week in week out? just because the rest arent good enough? or he should be in the team because hes top 4 quality reguardless of how bad the other defenders are?

To a certain extent I agree with this, think the reaction to a decent, promising player has (once again) been blown out of proportion a bit.
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 01:45:05 pm »
Interesting little moment against Utrecht the other night. Kelly had the ball in his RB position and beat his man on the inside but turned into trouble. Anyway, the ball gets knocked out for a Liverpool throw and as Kelly picks up the ball, he's looking at the bench and Mr Hodgson is obviously saying something to him because Kelly starts nodding and gestures with his left hand, as if to say, "I know, I know, knock it high and long".

'Twas very depressing.

Surely even the most exciting attacking manager (not our Roy) would be dissapointed with him turning into trouble?

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:03 pm »
I dont think he's ready to be a regular at CB and he isn't as good a player as Glen Johnson (despite his massive potential he might not ever be) so shouldn't be first choice right-back. I think the way he is being bedded in and given experience at the moment is absolutely fine, hopefully he continues his progression.
I think kelly is progressing very well and he should be given time to settle into his role in the team.we must not make the same mistake we did with insua.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:11 pm »
I actually really like the idea of Kelly at CB.
He's quicker than all our CB's
He's better in the air than all bar Kyrgiakos
He's a better ball player than all bar Agger

The few times I've seen him as a CB he's looked outstanding.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 03:32:21 pm »
Surely even the most exciting attacking manager (not our Roy) would be dissapointed with him turning into trouble?

Fair point. I just got the impression that high and long were the standing instructions.

Offline Z e u s

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 6, 2011, 02:56:25 pm »
This guy should be in the team over Johnson on form.

He's a better defender!

He's not only the future, but the present.

Offline reds9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: January 6, 2011, 03:21:31 pm »
We seriously need to give him more chances in the starting eleven, everytime he's played in the first team, he's done quite well hasn't he?

Offline No Way José

• Kopite
  • Hard as fuck - Not me, Wiggo
« Reply #27 on: January 6, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »
This guy should be in the team over Johnson on form.

He's a better defender!

He's not only the future, but the present.

No way is Kelly better than Johnson at the moment. Put him in alongside Agger though in the centre and you immediately have a more pacy defence across the board. I would imagine in the hoofball training tests though that Kelly and Agger both fall short of the distances achieved by Skrtel, Carra and co. so will never be considered under the Hodge.
What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger. Except Polio

Offline Yer nanas hanging baskets

• Main Stander
« Reply #28 on: January 6, 2011, 03:28:57 pm »
I dont even see johnson as a right back anymore. Get the lad on the right wing and see what he can do! Kelly behind him

Offline texaskopite

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2011, 03:52:15 pm »
I would love to see Kelly at RB and Johnson tried at RM ... similar to what spurs have done with Bale. I think it's win/win.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #30 on: February 3, 2011, 02:47:55 am »
Took me a while to find a Kelly thread.

I don't think he should recent contributions should be over-looked while we talk about Kenny, Suarez and Meireles. Perhaps not as central to this game, but been massively important to our overall revival.

Kenny has played him every game and we look so much more solid than the Hodgson era. 3 clean sheats on the bounce now. And wehave  20 year old local lad who came from our academy is there. Well despite all the moaning that Liverpool never produce local players any more, I'd have to say one has take his place in our first team. And it isn't even in his favourite position! He's going to be at Liverpool for a long time I hope.

I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #31 on: February 3, 2011, 02:49:42 am »
We are lucky to have him! Keep up the good work Martin (aka Steven on Sky) Kelly!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 3, 2011, 02:56:25 am »
Took me a while to find a Kelly thread.

Appreciate that, but this one is more current and established.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=245395.0

87:13