Author Topic: Why we should keep Lucas?  (Read 268276 times)

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
Re: Should Lucas be sold in January??
« Reply #80 on: December 1, 2010, 10:43:00 am »
The way he's been performing this season it's not unreasonable to suggest there's really not that many better centre mids in the league. I remember getting laughed at last season for having the nerve to suggest that Lucas was better than Palacios, well I'm sure that was Palacios that Lucas bossed, even bullied at times for 90mins last weekend. He's just going to continue improving and it would be utter lunacy to sell him.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #81 on: December 1, 2010, 10:44:13 am »
I have read this in the Mirrror and in Sky news and did not pay any attention, but when it appeared in the Globo I got worried.

I don't know Globo.com (please forgive my ignorance) but what kind of site/Paper is it? Would it be classed as reasonable say like the Guardian or would it be crap like the News of The World or Mail?

For what it's worth, I don't believe it for a second. He has been outstanding for a long time as far as I'm concerned and is getting better as he goes on. Given his age he fits the Fenway profile perfectly. Would be madness to even consider selling him (and I'm not convinced they are to be honest) whilst keeping a makeweight like Poulson.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #82 on: December 1, 2010, 10:44:41 am »
No, only an idiot would sell him. I'm worried.

Me too,been,arguably,our best player this season
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #83 on: December 1, 2010, 10:54:03 am »
Lucas is developing into a superb centre mid and one of our most important players. Can you imagine how good this guy will become in 2-3 years as he approaches his prime?
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline RedWesty

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: December 1, 2010, 10:55:09 am »
He is one of a few players who we should build our squad around.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #85 on: December 1, 2010, 11:02:09 am »
There's no way Lucas will be sold in January in my view.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #86 on: December 1, 2010, 11:02:25 am »
Been one of our best players so far.  Would be a stupid decision to sell him.

I can see no circumstances in which we would want to sell him - only circumstances in which he would prefer to play in Spain.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #87 on: December 1, 2010, 11:09:16 am »
I dont think Roy could be so thick as to sell a young talented midfielder when he watches the effort the lad makes for the team and I presume in training.

Paper shite.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 1, 2010, 11:14:15 am »
He should absolutely not be sold.  He is improving all the time and is already a valuable player for us.  Check back in 3 years time when we are getting 30m offers and then maybe it'll be worth thinking about.

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 1, 2010, 11:14:55 am »
Still going then ?

Fuckin sky, I nailed the fucker up a day or so ago, and there it is falling in again.

I now blame X-Factor AND Jeremy Kyle.

A win for the Liverpool country

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #90 on: December 1, 2010, 11:16:17 am »
Testament to the improvement and desire from the lad that very few want him sold, look back to a couple of years ago to see how things have changed.
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 1, 2010, 11:16:42 am »
He aint going. Just even more media bollocks.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #92 on: December 1, 2010, 11:18:02 am »
Sell him? Fucking hell, no. Give him a new contract.

Can't remember another player in our history so stupidly underrated by so many. And not just other fans either, some of our own STILL talk utter nonsense when describing how Lucas plays. Some guy even phoned lfctv the other night to complain about how terrible he's been this season, which just goes to show how blinded some are by their early opinions of him.

He's easily the most improved player here over the last couple of years, and to sell him now when he's coming in to his own would be ridiculous. He's just going to get better and more important. Anyone who can't see that needs their head seen to.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 1, 2010, 11:19:33 am »
According to the Brazilian leading site Globo
Hardly a trusted source is it - not worried about this story.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #94 on: December 1, 2010, 11:19:56 am »
Isn't it nice to see people actually praising Lucas.

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #95 on: December 1, 2010, 11:21:14 am »
Sell him? Fucking hell, no. Give him a new contract.

Can't remember another player in our history so stupidly underrated by so many. And not just other fans either, some of our own STILL talk utter nonsense when describing how Lucas plays. Some guy even phoned lfctv the other night to complain about how terrible he's been this season, which just goes to show how blinded some are by their early opinions of him.

He's easily the most improved player here over the last couple of years, and to sell him now when he's coming in to his own would be ridiculous. He's just going to get better and more important. Anyone who can't see that needs their head seen to.

Correct in all respects. And the Lucas-Meireles combination in midfield is looking great. Opportunity to play Gerrard in a freer role when he gets back?

But Lucas is going nowhere.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 1, 2010, 11:21:16 am »
Just a load of media nonsense.He should be given a new contract

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 1, 2010, 11:29:36 am »
of course no...what kind of question is that.. he should be given more improven contract for 5 more years...

Offline GVAS

• Kemlynite
  • "Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?"
« Reply #98 on: December 1, 2010, 11:33:35 am »
After good and consistent performances this season why would he even consider it
whatever role the coach has put him into, he's stepping up to the task, i'd be really confused if he was sold

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 1, 2010, 11:37:37 am »
how long's left on his current contract? 18 months?

Offline Festy

• Kopite
  • Best RAWK poster of the year 2010-11
« Reply #100 on: December 1, 2010, 11:43:27 am »
Lucas for me is 'the' most important member of our squad now. He's in same category as Gerrard, Torres, Pepe, Agger and Raul.

Category 'A':
Gerrard, Torres, Pepe, Lucas, Raul, Agger, Aquilani

Category 'B':
Johnson, Skrtel, Kuyt, Cole

Category 'C':
Carra, Soto, Aurelio, Insua, Maxi, Ngog

Category 'D':
Poulsen, Konchesky, Roy Hodgson

Youngsters (No Category required, some can slot straight into 'B' category):
Wilson, Jonjo, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco

Offline ryana83

• Main Stander
    • Ryan Alexander
« Reply #101 on: December 1, 2010, 11:46:50 am »
We've lived through the pain of a young player in Lucas. To lose him now would be a waste of that investment and we would miss the prime years of his career.

Offline bobo333

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #102 on: December 1, 2010, 11:47:25 am »
This season has been eye opening to the talent of Lucas.  Many people, myself included, had doubts about what his potential really was.  At this point I am completely confident that he can be a lasting presence in midfield.  His tackling, work ethic, and performance despite criticism have all been very impressive and I sincerely hope he remains with the club for years to come.  I look forward to seeing how he continues to progress.
What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example. ~ Kenny Dalglish

Long live the King.

Offline GVAS

• Kemlynite
  • "Brick, where did you get a hand grenade?"
« Reply #103 on: December 1, 2010, 11:48:44 am »
We've lived through the pain of a young player in Lucas. To lose him now would be a waste of that investment and we would miss the prime years of his career.

completely correct 

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: December 1, 2010, 11:49:15 am »
I'd say...
Babel
Konchesky
Poulsen
Itandje
Jovanovic
Maxi
Jones
Darby
Degen

..can be sold if we wish (I'm not saying selll everyone but wouldn't mind any of these leaving). Lucas though is a decent squad player to have and doesn't seem to grumble about not playing every week. Yes, we coul dbuy better players than him, but there is no real reason to sell him, especially when others could go first if we need to raise some funds.

Agree although the little money that we would get for Maxi and the fact he has been better this season i'd keep him. Jovanovic hasnt been given a shot either.
YNWA

Offline Valery_Karpin

• Main Stander
  • Scrapping with Denisov
« Reply #105 on: December 1, 2010, 11:49:31 am »
Not in January, but, if the right players are available, an exit in the summer should be considered.
"Imagine a coach who's been a champion and continues using the same methods. It's a mistake. Things don't stop, they evolve." Vitor Baia

Offline Fromozbleau

• Main Stander
« Reply #106 on: December 1, 2010, 11:50:44 am »
This is a wind up surely. He's first choice in the middle and earned it.

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #107 on: December 1, 2010, 11:51:57 am »
Category 'D':

:D
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #108 on: December 1, 2010, 11:52:44 am »
Lucas for me is 'the' most important member of our squad now. He's in same category as Gerrard, Torres, Pepe, Agger and Raul.

Category 'A':
Gerrard, Torres, Pepe, Lucas, Raul, Agger, Aquilani

Category 'B':
Johnson, Skrtel, Kuyt, Cole

Category 'C':
Carra, Soto, Aurelio, Insua, Maxi, Ngog

Category 'D':

Youngsters (No Category required, some can slot straight into 'B' category):
Wilson, Jonjo, Spearing, Kelly, Pacheco

Thanks for that. Gave me a good laugh.

Although I agree with Lucas being one of our more important players, the inclusion of Aquilani in your 'Category A' list is highly amusing, seeing as he's not actually in our squad and probably won't ever be again.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #109 on: December 1, 2010, 11:56:42 am »
Not a chance.

We've been very poor for a whole 16 months now and, in spite of this, opinion of Lucas has risen an awful lot.  For all of the bitching that does seem to exist in Lucas threads (and I expect there's been a huge reduction during the last month), it's so, so, much less than it was this time last year and for the season previous to that.  He's been developing brilliantly and is really starting to turn heads rather than just maintain a group of solid supporters.  Imagine if the side had been firing on all cylinders for a few periods during this last year and a half - there's an argument that he'd be outshone and not look up to the standard but how do we know he wouldn't shine in such conditions (such as high quality performances against Inter, Newcastle (the Gerrard hat-trick) and United, amongst others).  There's been a suggestion for a long old while that he'd look great in a team playing quick pass and move, two-touch football.  There's also one that suggests he'd look great playing higher up the pitch.  I agree with these suggestions and expect that there'll be a lot more to come when the whole team are firing (and I'm not pointing fingers at personnel or systems, but things just haven't been working).

What's more, he seems to be one of a handful who really care about the club - he sticks up for his team-mates and isn't hesistant in letting the referee know what he thinks.  I'm not quite old enough to clearly remember Evans' side but, certainly under Gerard and Rafa, we've often seemed too nice.  I remember it all kicking off in the pre-season against Feyenoord a couple of years ago - Agger & Gerrard vs Drenthe.  It was good to see in many ways.  I'm not saying I want similar to the regular scenes in Arsenal v Chelsea games over the last 6/7 years, but a bit of collective spirit goes a long way towards a successful team.

It'll be interesting to see how Lucas performs over the next month, in the absence of both Carra and Gerrard.  It's a shame we've not got an athletic defensive midfielder during this period...if Masch were still here we could of used him as an anchor for two box-to-box midfielders and attacking full-backs, supporting a front three...would have been good to see Lucas get a sustained run with license to get forwad.  Thatsaid, with positive performances comes the confidence and authority to make the right decision and I'm sure he'll make the best of any space that's made available, even from deep.

In my opinion, he's now one of our best players and the youngest of that group.  Can't think of a single reason to sell.

Offline reinas1fin

• Kemlynite
« Reply #110 on: December 1, 2010, 11:57:00 am »
Lucas should not be sold, he isn't a world beater but is making steady progress and is still reasonably young. All other clubs think he is a laughing stock and often under estimate him. As a lot of people have said there are many players who should be on the list before him.

Poulsen instantly springs to mind!!  :butt
twitter: reinas1fan
xbox tag: reinas1fan

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #111 on: December 1, 2010, 11:57:54 am »
There's no way he's going to be sold. He has beccome an important part of the team. Just watch the way Gerrard treats him on the field nowadays. There's the answer as Gerrard surely realizes now that his successor is starting to become a real deal.
Oh, sorry: NO
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 1, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »
his midfield combination with raul looks very tasty.they both have excellent distribution and dont give the ball away too often.They seem to have clicked.If roy sells lucas the fans will stop chanting for kenny and start singing roy out.Our best player so far this season.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Festy

• Kopite
  • Best RAWK poster of the year 2010-11
« Reply #113 on: December 1, 2010, 12:13:09 pm »
Thanks for that. Gave me a good laugh.

Although I agree with Lucas being one of our more important players, the inclusion of Aquilani in your 'Category A' list is highly amusing, seeing as he's not actually in our squad and probably won't ever be again.
Technically Aqua and Insua still belong to LFC, hence the inclusion.

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 1, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
New 5 year contract should be put on the table for the lad.

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #115 on: December 1, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »
I cant even believe this is being discussed - should Poulsen be sold would be nearer the money
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline Captain Wolf Biscuit

• There's a really funny story behind this actually. I'm captain of my local team and at one xmas party I wolfed down a soggy biscuit and behold! My username was born!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long Live The King
« Reply #116 on: December 1, 2010, 12:21:11 pm »
No, no, no, no. No.
"Liverpool is my home and I will be back" - Rafa Benitez

An Internet Terrorist and proud of it.

Offline edmundljs

• Kopite
  • A Liverbird upon my chest, JUSTICE!!!
« Reply #117 on: December 1, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »
First Pacheco then Lucas... are we turning into Fulham?!

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #118 on: December 1, 2010, 12:42:45 pm »
The lads done well,all the crap he took,never complained.Always gives 100%.So the answer is NO.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #119 on: December 1, 2010, 12:43:08 pm »
Rewind 12-18 months......'Should Lucas be sold in January?' 95% say yes.......oooooh you fickle wishy washy bunch of twats.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family