Author Topic: Why we should keep Lucas?  (Read 267036 times)

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
Re: Why we should keep Lucas?
« Reply #600 on: January 6, 2011, 12:13:49 am »
And isn't it a coincidence that you have a certain manager with a certain away record at the helm?

All I can say is this team is much more better than what they are currently reflecting themselves off to be. I just think that they do their best at home FOR the fans and calling them cowards is not the right word. Just my two cents.
Was it not the same group of players by and large from last season who also had an appalling away record under a different manager? The players are as much to blame as Hodgson is for the rubbish which has been served up away from Anfield this year, half of them could not give a shite.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: January 6, 2011, 12:15:05 am »
Was it not the same group of players by and large from last season who also had an appalling away record under a different manager? The players are as much to blame as Hodgson is for the rubbish which has been served up away from Anfield this year, half of them could not give a shite.

I agree mate.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #602 on: January 6, 2011, 12:15:19 am »
Garry Birtles.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: January 6, 2011, 12:16:54 am »
Garry Birtles.
You'll have to run me through that one?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: January 6, 2011, 12:16:58 am »
Think its obvious we were missing Raul badly today........Luc/Raul wont have been cut open that easily
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: January 6, 2011, 12:20:21 am »

He said it to me in another thread, he's either pissed or on a wind up.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline Jules Winnfield

• Main Stander
  • Take the money and run
« Reply #606 on: January 6, 2011, 12:20:27 am »
Garry Birtles.
;D

that man needs to be put out to a farm!
Genius is born.......not paid

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #607 on: January 6, 2011, 12:21:56 am »
When the secondary central midfielder (Gerrard) is NOT disciplined and keeps moving up the pitch, leaving the other CM alone...and the team is caught out by counter attacks leaving 3 v 1 (Lucas) scenarios as was the case against Bolton and Blackburn, what other outcome can you expect?

Any midfield WILL get over run, which is why Rafa, for all his stubborness, disliked playing 2 strikers up front AND Gerrard also in the side.

This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #608 on: January 6, 2011, 12:22:12 am »
Commentator on a stream a lot of us watched. You both have very similar views to him when it comes to Gerrard and Lucas. And Roy.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #609 on: January 6, 2011, 12:24:44 am »
He said it to me in another thread, he's either pissed or on a wind up.
Must be because we don't quite subscribe to his superior way of thinking pal, ahhh well.

Offline Jules Winnfield

• Main Stander
  • Take the money and run
« Reply #610 on: January 6, 2011, 12:26:28 am »
Must be because we don't quite subscribe to his superior way of thinking pal, ahhh well.

if you had heard the vitriol from the guy to Lucas without any constructive reasoning you would see why he is making comparisons.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=268701.0
« Last Edit: January 6, 2011, 12:28:57 am by Jules Winnfield »

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: January 6, 2011, 12:29:05 am »
Defo... Not just lack of pace in the team but for two seasons we have moved the ball around so slowly when attacking.  Slower than almost any other team in the Premier League.  I was watching today how easy it was for Blackburn to organise themselves when we attacked- they had so much time.

Pace would be very nice but it's not necessary. As long as players are moving intelligently off the ball with purpose then pace can be compensated for. Also, the more methodical build ups are very beneficial to the defensive side as well. If the CMs control the tempo of the game like this then its then the whole team as a unit can move forward together. Keeping the ball in the opponent's half allows the defense to push up and support the attack while not having to worry about the space in behind.

We really just need to concentrate on ball retention and off the ball movement. If we improve in these areas it will have a domino effect which will see every aspect of our performance improve. We need a different manager asap.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #612 on: January 6, 2011, 12:30:28 am »

The heck they are. Joe Cole may be to blame, and many are calling him MotM (ffs).  Kyrgiakos gets eaten alive by Benjani; whose fault is that? Kyrgiakos's? Or the man who selects BOTH Srktel and Kyrgiakos as our central defensive duo?

Who's to blame for bringing in KUYT in lieu of Maxi when we're trying to come back from a 2-0 deficit? Kuyt?

Who's to blame for expecting poor Lucas, bless his heart, to be a one-man Central Midfield when defending? Lucas?

Ludi Circenses!

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #613 on: January 6, 2011, 12:31:05 am »
to be honest Smig, you complain about people not giving a shit and walking around like they don't give a fuck.

2009-2010 season - number one culprit, one fucking Steven Gerrard.

Crying like a bitch at Birmingham when Torres got subbed, only for Ngog to completely change the game.

Walking around the pitch as though John Terry had just shagged his missus. A large part of last years league position was down to him in as not being lower, but also down to him as in as not being higher.

If he so good and so GODLY as you fucking think he is, why the fuck was he acting like a bitch? why the fuck didnt he do his superhero act and take us into the Top 4? Why did he and his pal do their best to fuck off a manager who looked after his arse when he derailed our title challenge the season earlier because some Manc prick wouldnt play a song he wanted?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: January 6, 2011, 12:31:38 am »
Commentator on a stream a lot of us watched. You both have very similar views to him when it comes to Gerrard and Lucas. And Roy.
What, that Steven Gerrard is five times the player Lucas will ever be for this club? I think Lucas is a good player before people begin to accuse me of having some sort of agenda against him, but he'll never change a game like Stevie has done for us time and time again. I find it unbelievable how some on here are finding fault with Gerrard's game (the only man on the pitch who could have got us something from the game tonight) yet feel Lucas is exempt from any criticism whatsoever, despite him having little influence throughout the game. The lengths people will go to defend and find excuses for this lad laughable at times, even when he's played poorly.

Offline Jules Winnfield

• Main Stander
  • Take the money and run
« Reply #615 on: January 6, 2011, 12:33:10 am »
Walking around the pitch as though John Terry had just shagged his missus. A large part of last years league position was down to him in as not being lower, but also down to him as in as not being higher.

In fairness, its John Terry, can you be sure?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #616 on: January 6, 2011, 12:33:33 am »
What, that Steven Gerrard is five times the player Lucas will ever be for this club? I think Lucas is a good player before people begin to accuse me of having some sort of agenda against him, but he'll never change a game like Stevie has done for us time and time again. I find it unbelievable how some on here are finding fault with Gerrard's game (the only man on the pitch who could have got us something from the game tonight) yet feel Lucas is exempt from any criticism whatsoever, despite him having little influence throughout the game. The lengths people will go to defend this lad sometimes is laughable, even when he's played poorly.
You are STILL missing the point. Gerrard was all over the place, drive, energy etc.

That's great, in a free role. Not when he's meant to be in CM. Lucas had to do two men's work.

That's all we're saying, it's pretty simple and obvious really.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #617 on: January 6, 2011, 12:34:14 am »
One thing that did strike me today was Lucas losing his rag towards the end of the game. It's not often I've seen that - he's done it far more this season than for the rest of his club and international career combined - but it seems to me he looks a lot more composed with Raul beside him.

I totally agree with the problem with Gerrard in a 2 man midfield. Though I must say Lucas/Gerrard can be an excellent partnership - but it needs Gerrard's role to be CLEARLY defined. The problem isn't so much him in CM or him not in AM, but him in CM while still playing pretty much wherever he wants. We can't have our Gerrard cake and eat it - if he roams as he wants he will leave holes. If he plays disciplined, which he can do and do well, then we don't get him roaming. Either is an option - this half way house isn't.

But with Lucas/Raul, ignoring completely the Gerrard thing, there's the simple fact that, like Mash and Alonso, they just LOOK right together. They get each other, they are a pairing who are greater than the sum of their parts. Gerrard can be excellent in midfield, but he can also be excellent on the right or behind Torres - in neither of those roles are the current occupants anything like as good as Gerrard. Why (when Raul is fit again) mess up a part of the team that works in order to accomodate Gerrard, when Gerrard is such a vast improvement on the alternatives in the other roles he can play? This is speaking as a big fan of Ngog/Torres/Kuyt and Maxi by the way.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #618 on: January 6, 2011, 12:35:34 am »
Still, on the plus side no-one can deny he looks much more motivated this season. I guess that arm round the shoulder is working wonders.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline Jules Winnfield

• Main Stander
  • Take the money and run
« Reply #619 on: January 6, 2011, 12:36:14 am »
What, that Steven Gerrard is five times the player Lucas will ever be for this club? I think Lucas is a good player before people begin to accuse me of having some sort of agenda against him, but he'll never change a game like Stevie has done for us time and time again. I find it unbelievable how some on here are finding fault with Gerrard's game (the only man on the pitch who could have got us something from the game tonight) yet feel Lucas is exempt from any criticism whatsoever, despite him having little influence throughout the game. The lengths people will go to defend and find excuses for this lad laughable at times, even when he's played poorly.

Thats all bollox, Lucas has faults but to blindly talk as if we have seen a performance 5 times that of Lucas this season from Gerrard is rubbish. 2008-2009 yes but that is consigned to history.

He needs to toughen up, he is trying but he has a role and he does it, having people making horrid errors around like the centre backs tonight make it unfair to singel him out when he didnt make many mistakes himself

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: January 6, 2011, 12:36:25 am »
Lucas will be fucked against the mancs, I think he had to put too much into that game, without Meireles on his side he will have a very tough job with tired legs on sunday.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: January 6, 2011, 12:37:56 am »

But with Lucas/Raul, ignoring completely the Gerrard thing, there's the simple fact that, like Mash and Alonso, they just LOOK right together. They get each other, they are a pairing who are greater than the sum of their parts.

tHIS
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Online blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: January 6, 2011, 12:42:17 am »
Lucas will be fucked against the mancs, I think he had to put too much into that game, without Meireles on his side he will have a very tough job with tired legs on sunday.

Lucas will be out against the Mancs. Poulsen/gerrard midfield.  Then lets all have a laugh.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: January 6, 2011, 12:42:34 am »
smig, Gerrard has not even had a performance we could call great by his standards for over 2 seasons, how can you still live off that shit? Look at his attitude for the last 2 years, even now under a manager he wanted, he's not exactly been superman. Lucas does have faults, however saying he is at fault for Gerrard's faults is fucking ridiculous. The fact that he's covering for Gerrard's ass when they play in central midfield is not.

He is indisciplined in that role, which makes him perfect in the hole. There having the freedom of the pitch puts him at his fucking best.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: January 6, 2011, 12:45:38 am »
Thats all bollox, Lucas has faults but to blindly talk as if we have seen a performance 5 times that of Lucas this season from Gerrard is rubbish. 2008-2009 yes but that is consigned to history.

He needs to toughen up, he is trying but he has a role and he does it, having people making horrid errors around like the centre backs tonight make it unfair to singel him out when he didnt make many mistakes himself
It's what he DOESN'T do from what I base my opinion of him. He doesn't dominate games regularly enough and he doesn't make things happen in an attacking sense, two things I like to think should be a prerequisite for a Liverpool central midfielder. We'll never get back to winning the very biggest trophies with players like Lucas in the first eleven on a regular basis. A great squad player, yes without question. But we need better quality if we ever want to challenge for the league title again, which is after all, surely our ultimate ambition? By no means do I think Lucas is the only problem in this team, the vast majority have needed a kick up the arse all season and Roy Hodgson is not the man to deliver it.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: January 6, 2011, 12:45:56 am »
Lucas will be out against the Mancs. Poulsen/gerrard midfield.  Then lets all have a laugh.

Not a chance. Lucas will rest tomorrow and be there doing the business as always.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: January 6, 2011, 12:46:17 am »

Why? Meireles will be back though, no?
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: January 6, 2011, 12:46:24 am »

Mate, you're wasting your time. The same people who will not see fault in Lucas invade every Gerrard thread with the same lazy bullshit. Like clockwork, they're obsessed. Lucas doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie, even if he does move out of the centre circle.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #628 on: January 6, 2011, 12:48:18 am »
Mate, you're wasting your time. The same people who will not see fault in Lucas invade every Gerrard thread with the same lazy bullshit. Like clockwork, they're obsessed. Lucas doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie, even if he does move out of the centre circle.
Obsessed? Says the bloke who says the same thing every fucking time, on every fucking thread.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: January 6, 2011, 12:49:07 am »

Oh Dear. The hypocrisy there.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: January 6, 2011, 12:49:08 am »
smig, Gerrard has not even had a performance we could call great by his standards for over 2 seasons, how can you still live off that shit? Look at his attitude for the last 2 years, even now under a manager he wanted, he's not exactly been superman. Lucas does have faults, however saying he is at fault for Gerrard's faults is fucking ridiculous. The fact that he's covering for Gerrard's ass when they play in central midfield is not.

He is indisciplined in that role, which makes him perfect in the hole. There having the freedom of the pitch puts him at his fucking best.

Gerrard is not really captain material. He leads by example and it might as well be jackyl and hide or whatever. If he's playing well he lifts everyone. If he's frustrated its all over his body language. He starts getting visibly annoyed and in rare moments takes it on a teammate. Lucas and voronin come to mind immediately.

Neways I think our best formation sees gerrard in the hole or next to Raul with Lucas holding.
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline Seebab

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: January 6, 2011, 12:50:10 am »
Nice to go on RAWK to read some sensible posts on Lucas after hearing the bile on the television during the game. Astonishing how bad the commentators were.

Offline tboz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #632 on: January 6, 2011, 12:51:27 am »
The lucas situation can is like roy situation, if you believe like he does then all he needs is time and then we will become good.
Maybe lucas will become world class but at this moment we havent got time and in such an important posistion we cannot aford to hope he will whilst spurning the opportunity to cash in and bring someone better.
When i go back to the days of momo, with him he was aplayer who was very affective and still had age on his side, i thought benitez might have made hime more complete, then masch came, and lucas inthe end benitez cashed in on momo and put his faith in luas so far it has not worked. so we now need to do the same if we cant get a player without having sell one of the same position.

Whats poulsen going to fetch? therefore lucas has to be the next option.

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: January 6, 2011, 12:52:04 am »
The same people who will not see fault in Lucas invade every Gerrard thread with the same lazy bullshit. Like clockwork, they're obsessed.

Switch "Lucas" and "Gerrard" around and I'd be more inclined to agree with you.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #634 on: January 6, 2011, 12:53:04 am »

Rap, he remains the only player barr Torres who can change a game in our favour mate, and we're lucky to have him. The day Lucas becomes a player who can turn a game the way Stevie and Nando have for us I'll give him all the credit he deserves, but he never has, and the way people on here bang on about the lad, you'd think he'd won us the European cup single-handedly. He's a good player, but I can't help but feel his reputation on here has been borne from the stick he used to get, and people simply feeling sorry for him which has made them defend him to a stupid extent. He has improved, that goes without saying, but he's nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe.

I agree that Gerrard shouldn't be played in the middle Personally I'd like to see him back on the right, but I'd be surprised if we ever saw that again! He's still most effective when he's played behind Torres as he loses a lot of his dynamism in the middle due to the structural nature of the position and the restraints it has.

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #635 on: January 6, 2011, 12:53:09 am »
don't worry,Lucas is a duracell bunny and he is a tough cookie.

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: January 6, 2011, 12:53:43 am »
It's what he DOESN'T do from what I base my opinion of him. He doesn't dominate games regularly enough and he doesn't make things happen in an attacking sense, two things I like to think should be a prerequisite for a Liverpool central midfielder. We'll never get back to winning the very biggest trophies with players like Lucas in the first eleven on a regular basis. A great squad player, yes without question. But we need better quality if we ever want to challenge for the league title again, which is after all, surely our ultimate ambition? By no means do I think Lucas is the only problem in this team, the vast majority have needed a kick up the arse all season and Roy Hodgson is not the man to deliver it.

See now you suffer from the English disease of needing every fucking player to dominate in games.

I'll give you 2 midfielders who dominate games, Gerrard and Lampard. Throw them together in central midfield and they should dominate the world right?

How about I give you 4 attackers who should absolute dominate games as they do all the time - Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Adriano and Kaka. Oh yeah they dominated the whole planet at the World Cup in 2006.

Why can't you understand that its A TEAM, not of fucking superstars who want to do everything themselves, but a TEAM, who can take equal responsiblity. It's something the United midfield have done ever since the gradual demise of Scholes and Giggs. None of those fuckers in that midfield dominate games, heck none of them are even world beaters, but they play like a fucking team - Carrick, Giggs, Scholes, Anderson, Fletcher, can you honestly tell me any of those have been world class and done Gerrard-esque things in the last 4 years?

And as usual you have this fucking notion of a First XI, bollocks to a First XI, it's a squad game now, ask Slur Fungus and his 100 games in a row of rotation whilst United were winning titles seasons in a row.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #637 on: January 6, 2011, 12:53:51 am »
The day Lucas becomes a player who can turn a game the way Stevie and Nando have for us I'll give him all the credit he deserves, but he never has
He's a fucking defensive midfielder!

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: January 6, 2011, 12:54:56 am »
You're right, I don't know why I'm bothering to be honest pal.

Offline scatman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: January 6, 2011, 12:55:52 am »
Rap, he remains the only player barr Torres who can change a game in our favour mate, and we're lucky to have him. The day Lucas becomes a player who can turn a game the way Stevie and Nando have for us I'll give him all the credit he deserves, but he never has, and the way people on here bang on about the lad, you'd think he'd won us the European cup single-handedly. He's a good player, but I can't help but feel his reputation on here has been borne from the stick he used to get, and people simply feeling sorry for him which has made them defend him to a stupid extent. He has improved, that goes without saying, but he's nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe.

I agree that Gerrard shouldn't be played in the middle Personally I'd like to see him back on the right, but I'd be surprised if we ever saw that again! He's still most effective when he's played behind Torres as he loses a lot of his dynamism in the middle due to the structural nature of the position and the restraints it has.

We are lucky to have Gerrard, as we are lucky to have Torres, but can we negate the effect Lucas has on our team just because he is not Steven Gerrard or Fernando Torres. Lucas may be shit at finishing, and his timing of offensive headers is fucking appalling, but he is completely different to Gerrard (there should be no comparison at all) and the fact today that he's getting grief despite being our whole midfield is fucking astonishing.