Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 15594 times)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2011, 01:36:29 pm »
Started using it on my netbook, albeit the netbook version of ubuntu. Was initially very impressed, but found the fact that I couldn't edit the size or position of the sidebar quite annoying. The screen is not wide as it is so really needed it to show only when I hover at the side. Also, not sure if it was my imagination but the netbook seemed to run hotter than usual?

I still have it on there (dual boot) but I'm back to using Windows7 again now.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2011, 02:33:37 pm »
The netbook version of Ubuntu is gash... just stick the normal version on there you won't have any issues. Saying that my friend eventually went back to Windows 7 with his netbook, depends what you're using it for.
:D

Offline Rainy

• Main Stander
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2011, 03:29:38 pm »
At the risk of sounding, well, exactly like everyone else - the Unity interface is utter gash.

As Unity's the way Ubuntu want to go from this update onwards, I think it'll be time to find a new distribution. It's even pushed me back to booting into Windows 7 for the time being.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2011, 06:56:56 pm »
Started using it on my netbook, albeit the netbook version of ubuntu. Was initially very impressed, but found the fact that I couldn't edit the size or position of the sidebar quite annoying. The screen is not wide as it is so really needed it to show only when I hover at the side. Also, not sure if it was my imagination but the netbook seemed to run hotter than usual?

I still have it on there (dual boot) but I'm back to using Windows7 again now.

How does the battery life compare on yours? Windows 7 (Starter) gives me almost double the battery life on my netbook vs Ubuntu.

At the risk of sounding, well, exactly like everyone else - the Unity interface is utter gash.

As Unity's the way Ubuntu want to go from this update onwards, I think it'll be time to find a new distribution. It's even pushed me back to booting into Windows 7 for the time being.

It is shite. Ubuntu comes with all the other interfaces other distros have, though. At most, you'll have to add/activate the Universe (IIRC) repository, and then you can run Gnome/IceWM/Fluxbox/WindowMaker/XFCE or whatever floats your boat.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2011, 07:56:20 pm »
Gnome is called 'classic' in this version.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2011, 09:15:35 pm »
How does the battery life compare on yours? Windows 7 (Starter) gives me almost double the battery life on my netbook vs Ubuntu.

Same really. I was quite suprised, expected it to be much better and less intensive thank Windows 7 but the machine seemed to run really hot, it seemed to use much more CPU which drained the battery. Windows 7 runs perfectly really.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2011, 03:17:35 am »
Same really. I was quite suprised, expected it to be much better and less intensive thank Windows 7 but the machine seemed to run really hot, it seemed to use much more CPU which drained the battery. Windows 7 runs perfectly really.

Definitely. I was very surprised at how well Windows Starter runs on the netbook. Frankly, I'm amazed that Linux still hasn't got decent power management, though that might be down to manufacturers not providing enough info to the driver writers to do a good job. It might also be due to Ubuntu running too many servers as Linux often does, but I suspect the power management. It's always been bad-to-terrible on Linux, and running a lightweight window manager like Fluxbox instead of Gnome etc. didn't make much difference for me.

It should be embarrassing for the Linux community given that Linux can run on the weedy embedded systems and Windows 7 is a stripped-down version of a beast of an OS designed for high-performance CPUs.

Offline NatD

• Takes offence at authors and people who eat in restaurants.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2011, 06:12:56 am »
So, for what I want (Torrent / Skype / Browsing) on a basic Netbook, Ubuntu would be OK, but Windows 7 would be just as good and may give me better options should I want to do anything else in the future?

What version of Windows 7 should I look for, and where do you think I could get a *cough cough* copy from?
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2011, 01:00:43 pm »
So, for what I want (Torrent / Skype / Browsing) on a basic Netbook, Ubuntu would be OK, but Windows 7 would be just as good and may give me better options should I want to do anything else in the future?

What version of Windows 7 should I look for, and where do you think I could get a *cough cough* copy from?

Have you got a netbook already? If not I'd just look for one that has Windows 7 Starter. As i said above, I have Win7 on my netbook, tried ubuntu but went back after 2 days. There isn't a massive need to change really.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »
Have you got a netbook already? If not I'd just look for one that has Windows 7 Starter. As i said above, I have Win7 on my netbook, tried ubuntu but went back after 2 days. There isn't a massive need to change really.

This. For what you want, you'll have a lot less hassle and probably better battery life with Windows 7. Starter is the only version that will run on a netbook. They're too puny to run full Windows 7 properly.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2011, 03:10:15 pm »
Will give Windows 7 Starter a whirl then at some point.  Am in the middle of downloading Jolicloud and was going to give that a go, but am having trouble mounting it on a USB stick so if I can't sort that, Windows 7 it is.
"...waking up at 12 in my clothes again, feel my head explode from a night of Gin..."

Offline fosspowered

• Legacy Fan
  • More of an IDK than ITK.
    • FOSSPowered
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2011, 07:35:45 pm »

No need to switch OS. Just log out, select Classic Desktop and you are good to go.

Unfortunately the latest Linux kernel has been plagued with Power Management issues and heavy regressions there. For portable computers I'll recommend to stay with Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick).

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2011, 09:12:34 pm »
Downloaded 11.04 twice now, burned the ISO to disc.

Booted my laptop from the disc and it pulls up a green error message that you can barely read after waiting about 20 minutes.

Doin me fuckin head in this.

EDIT - People said it was a ballache to get up and running, i can't even install the fucker without having issues.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:33:41 pm by JimmyGrunt »
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2011, 10:38:19 pm »
Fucked it off - We use Redhat at work and thats a dream to use compared to this.
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline NatD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 1, 2011, 10:51:48 am »
I just couldn't get it to install, so have now gone for Jolli Cloud which is fantastic and does exactly what we need to do for the Netbook.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 2, 2011, 03:21:16 pm »
10.10 is the shit.

Just can't decide if I want to use it as my main OS on my new i7-2600k build...

hoonin

« Reply #96 on: June 2, 2011, 05:07:07 pm »

It's dreadful. Gave it a week to try and get used to it, but landed up muttering "what's the fucking point of doing it like that" 10 times a day.

Switched back to GNOME and perfect bliss 8)

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #97 on: June 2, 2011, 09:11:12 pm »
Unity is kinda nice...but I miss my wobbly windows :(
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

hoonin

« Reply #98 on: June 2, 2011, 09:38:05 pm »
Unity is kinda nice...but I miss my wobbly windows :(

One thing that annoyed me was that you can add apps to the toolbar thingy, but when you click on an app to start another instance (say another shell) it brings an existing one back in focus.

Maybe I didn't work it out properly? I dunno. The whole thing just reminded me of the Office Toolbar that was fashionable 10 years ago :P

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 4, 2011, 12:18:10 am »
Unity is that retarded interface with the "dock" on the left-hand side, yeah?

Utter fucking rubbish.

This is my big problem with Linux development: it's been going backwards for a few years now. Especially Gnome. They're a bunch of fucking retards. As far as I can tell, they've been trying to copy Apple's model of simplicity, but consistently fail to grasp what makes Apple what it is, and constantly ignore the glaring problems that their stupid ideas cause with Linux underpinnings (e.g. removing the ability to easily make dotfiles visible in Nautilus).

It's no big deal that the OS X Finder needs to be re-configured via the command line and restarted to see dotfiles because they just don't matter on OS X for anyone but hardcore geeks (everything has a config GUI), but they're goddamn essential on Linux.

Basically, Gnome devs have been busy dumbing the system down for the kind of users that Linux just doesn't have. Ubuntu is on the same sad path.

They appear to be looking at OS X for inspiration, but not using OS X seriously. It's an enormously powerful GUI/system. The power is just hidden beneath the surface, where these daft Gnome/Ubuntu devs don't appear to have looked.

Meanwhile, the KDE devs have been terribly busy bloating everything up to fuck.

I'm grateful to Linux for teaching me how a computer works, and for giving me the chops to really use OS X's UNIX underpinnings, but given the direction they're taking current distros, I'm 99.9% sure I'll never have it on my desktop again, even though I fully expected to move back to Linux a few years after I bought my first Mac in 2004.

Offline fosspowered

• Legacy Fan
  • More of an IDK than ITK.
    • FOSSPowered
« Reply #100 on: June 4, 2011, 05:23:09 pm »
One thing that annoyed me was that you can add apps to the toolbar thingy, but when you click on an app to start another instance (say another shell) it brings an existing one back in focus.
Toolbar? You mean the launcher on the left to launch commonly used apps?
Middle click it to bring a new instance. Not the most straightforward, but pretty okay if you get used to it.

Utter fucking rubbish.

This is my big problem with Linux development: it's been going backwards for a few years now. Especially Gnome. They're a bunch of fucking retards. As far as I can tell, they've been trying to copy Apple's model of simplicity, but consistently fail to grasp what makes Apple what it is, and constantly ignore the glaring problems that their stupid ideas cause with Linux underpinnings
I am not sure how you are saying that they are copying Apple's model with respect to Gnome? If anything they are being LOT different to conventional desktops.

If you mean it to Ubuntu's Unity, then I'll agree the Global menus in Unity look very much like OS X's copy. So do the ideas of the launcher and few other usability elements.

(e.g. removing the ability to easily make dotfiles visible in Nautilus).
It's no big deal that the OS X Finder needs to be re-configured via the command line and restarted to see dotfiles because they just don't matter on OS X for anyone but hardcore geeks (everything has a config GUI), but they're goddamn essential on Linux.
Ctrl + H? Pretty straightforward for me to view the dotfiles. And you can go to View->Show hidden files as well.

Basically, Gnome devs have been busy dumbing the system down for the kind of users that Linux just doesn't have. Ubuntu is on the same sad path.
They appear to be looking at OS X for inspiration, but not using OS X seriously. It's an enormously powerful GUI/system. The power is just hidden beneath the surface, where these daft Gnome/Ubuntu devs don't appear to have looked.
I can't agree with that, but I can see where are from. Gnome does hide the power, but that gives simplicity to my desktop. Now that's an opinion.

Try the latest KDE in Arch, or Mandriva. Stay way from KDE in Kubuntu. It sucks.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2011, 05:48:10 pm by fosspowered »

Offline skooma

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our change into rain is no change at all.
« Reply #101 on: June 4, 2011, 07:22:44 pm »
I use Linux Mint, which is Ubuntu but with more of the stuff people use in it.

I love it. It runs fine on my netbook if a tad slow in regards to Firefox sometimes. It uses Gnome 2 so none of that daft unity stuff.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: June 5, 2011, 10:44:06 am »
I am not sure how you are saying that they are copying Apple's model with respect to Gnome? If anything they are being LOT different to conventional desktops.

If you mean it to Ubuntu's Unity, then I'll agree the Global menus in Unity look very much like OS X's copy. So do the ideas of the launcher and few other usability elements.

Ctrl + H? Pretty straightforward for me to view the dotfiles. And you can go to View->Show hidden files as well.
I can't agree with that, but I can see where are from. Gnome does hide the power, but that gives simplicity to my desktop. Now that's an opinion.

Aye, you can you Ctrl+H again now, but they took it out a while back. God only knows why. They had to put it back in once users finally made them accept that Linux really needs it.

I'm not saying that they tried to copy the way OS X looks, but the ease-of-use of it. The apparent simplicity. And they completely misunderstood it. And that, IMO, is giving them the benefit of the doubt. The alternative is that they have got some bizarre ideas about simplicity in their heads that they will pursue regardless of how idiotic the results are.

Latest version of Gnome? They've removed the files/folders from the desktop. They admit that they need a replacement idiom, and that they haven't thought of one yet, but the removed the desktop anyway. Also the "shutdown" and "restart" options. They're a bunch of retards with a as bad a case of devs-know-best as Microsoft or Apple ever had. The difference is, at least MS and especially Apple know what they're doing.

I admit that it might be a better GUI for newbies, but there aren't any newbies on Linux. There are Linux newbies, but not newbies. And I can't see how any computer user would be happy with Gnome. Especially with Ubuntu's ridiculous new Unity interface.

All my personal opinion, of course, and as always YMMV, but I can't help but feel that Gnome has been going backwards virtually since version 1.

Try the latest KDE in Arch, or Mandriva. Stay way from KDE in Kubuntu. It sucks.

That might be it. I tried it on Ubuntu. Used to like KDE a lot.

Offline crackerbox

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #103 on: June 6, 2011, 01:39:07 pm »

Utter fucking rubbish.

This is my big problem with Linux development: it's been going backwards for a few years now. Especially Gnome. They're a bunch of fucking retards. As far as I can tell, they've been trying to copy Apple's model of simplicity, but consistently fail to grasp what makes Apple what it is, and constantly ignore the glaring problems that their stupid ideas cause with Linux underpinnings (e.g. removing the ability to easily make dotfiles visible in Nautilus).

I'm grateful to Linux for teaching me how a computer works, and for giving me the chops to really use OS X's UNIX underpinnings, but given the direction they're taking current distros, I'm 99.9% sure I'll never have it on my desktop again, even though I fully expected to move back to Linux a few years after I bought my first Mac in 2004.
this.
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #104 on: June 6, 2011, 02:05:57 pm »
For those that think that Ubuntu has become to bloated, have a look at Crunchbang Linux http://crunchbanglinux.org/ with Openbox. A debian based distro that's maintained by a core group of dedicated resources.
"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline crackerbox

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #105 on: June 6, 2011, 07:07:39 pm »
Well I hope they give Unity a mayor overhaul in 11.10 . I want mywobbly windows back!!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: September 4, 2018, 10:45:43 pm »
Any of you lads and lasses had much recent exposure to Ubuntu?  I guess not as the last post in any Ubuntu thread was 2009 :)

I needed Linux to install an apparently shit hot suite of Digital Forensic software (SANS-SIFT) I'm planning on playing with. So I've just installed version 18.04.01 (codename Bionic Beaver) on a partition on my personal Lappy and set it up to dual boot with my Windows install.

Getting used to the interface is fun but the terminal and commands is proving tricky at the moment (thank god for google!)  but on the whole It's really refreshing and weird using a new OS.  I really like it at the moment and will be interesting to see what i can do on it when it comes to getting torrents and stuff.

So anyone geeks wanna chat about Ubuntu and give me some tips. :)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 5, 2018, 10:50:30 am »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #108 on: September 5, 2018, 10:57:43 am »
I don't know what to tell you ;D

I have a dedicated Ubuntu Server in France that hosts my Websites, Game Servers (Counter Strike, Minecraft, Open Roller Coaster Tycoon 2), Teamspeak Server, Email and more. At about 5% CPU usage!

I have a dedicated Ubuntu Server at home which acts as a Print Server, File Server and stream encoder for viewing my 3D printer whilst I'm away.

I prefer Windows as a functional OS but Ubuntu is amazing due to the lack of overhead and stability, it's all about finding uses for it I suppose. I think it's probably a wise decision for laptop use, you can still install the full Office 2016 suite without much hassle.

For torrents just grab qBitrorrent, it's the best client on Windows or Linux. You can use sudo apt-get install qbittorrent to grab it from terminal. I mainly use Ubuntu through terminal/SSH so I'm not much help really ;D
« Last Edit: September 5, 2018, 11:01:41 am by Kashinoda »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: September 5, 2018, 12:23:13 pm »
Kash bear in mind I'm a Linux virgin here

At the Mo I'm getting used to the Terminal Bash shell and basic commands. I've been messing about creating directories, moving, copying and deleting files etc.

One thing that is annoying is having to type the full path to get to the next directory up

Ie:  from the root i type CD /Cases

from Cases$ i go CD /Cases/Sept
If I then want to go from Cases/Sept$ to say /1st i have to type the whole path again!!

CD /Cases/Sept/1st

If i have to type a huge path every time i want to go up a directory it could be time consuming.  Unless I'm just expected to use the up arrow to go to previous CD /xxxx/xxxx/ command and add the next directory on.

What I'm asking -  is there an easy way to go to up a directory level like there is in DOS?

cheers
« Last Edit: September 5, 2018, 12:34:18 pm by Buck Pete »

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #110 on: September 5, 2018, 01:12:06 pm »
To go up a directory it's the same as DOS, i.e. type 'cd ..'

To use relative paths put a full stop before the folder i.e. if you simply want to open a folder type 'cd ./folder', you can also use 'cd ../different_folder' to go back to your parent directory then onto a different folder.

Remember like Windows you can also press tab after the first letter (f in the above example) and it will autofill the rest.

If you're using Ubuntu Desktop it does come bundled with GNOME File Browser I believe, though I prefer PCManFM sudo apt-get install pcmanfm (though Ubuntu Desktop has it's own App Store if you'd rather use a GUI)
« Last Edit: September 5, 2018, 01:27:49 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: September 5, 2018, 01:47:20 pm »

To use relative paths put a full stop before the folder i.e. if you simply want to open a folder type 'cd ./folder',

That's the baby. Cheers!!!  CD ./xxxxx  is exactly what i needed

The other stuff is very useful too mate. 

Not too arsed about the GUI at the moment as I want to do as much as  via the bash command

Just discovered that Python scripts files are case sensitive after 20 minutes of scratching my head why a .py file wouldn't load :)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #112 on: November 2, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »
Does make me laugh when people moan about the desktop - just install the one you bloody want :D

Unity, Gnome, Mate whatever - piece of piss :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.