Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 79016 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Re: Wasps
« Reply #560 on: August 7, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »
That's seriously wrong and will have very unpredictable consequences, though probably all bad.

It's as poorly thought out as putting fine netting draped over trees to prevent birds nesting.

...Without wasps, the world could be overrun with spiders and insects. Each summer, social wasps in the UK capture an estimated 14 million kilogrammes of insect prey, such as caterpillars and greenfly. Perhaps we should be calling them a gardener's friend...

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-do-wasps-do.html

By all means, if it makes you feel safer (though I doubt it will actually make you any safer),  put traps up this time of the year to catch what are now mostly delinquents with no home and a bad attitude, but absolutely not in spring time. Wasps and Hornets do much unseen but very beneficial work out there during spring time.

That reminds of a documentry I seen about wolves being let into a national park in North America for the first time in ages. The coyote population decreased as the wolves killed some of them but as a result of this the beaver population increased had a positive impact on the wild life and plants by the river . Or something like that.

Everything serves a purpose and all that.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2019, 11:26:07 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #561 on: August 7, 2019, 11:49:37 pm »
...Everything serves a purpose and all that.

I'm very much with you on that.

In a balanced system, everything does have an evolved purpose and our casual brutish destruction of, and the collapse of the population of one thing, inevitably leads to relaxation of controls on the population of another thing.

The problem is largely down to us, we humans often seem adept at unbalancing it all with our too often careless activities.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: August 8, 2019, 12:40:57 am »
I'm very much with you on that.

In a balanced system, everything does have an evolved purpose and our casual brutish destruction of, and the collapse of the population of one thing, inevitably leads to relaxation of controls on the population of another thing.

The problem is largely down to us, we humans often seem adept at unbalancing it all with our too often careless activities.

Agreed.

The only thing I consciously kill are flies in my kitchen. Maybe I shouldn't as maybe they serve a purpose too. I've got a boss system though . Wait until they land on a table then raise my hand about 10 inches above them and bring it down as fast as lightening and I get them. I reckon flies have some weird vision thing going on as in they can't see from directly above . Much better than fly spray . For all of you who use spray to kill flies or wasps think about what you are breathing in too. Also that spray could go out the window and a butterfly could be effected by it or a bee could.

I tried to find that documentry mate but I couldn't. I ended up watching a documentry on lions and hyenas which was fascinating. They really don't like eachother do they ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #563 on: August 8, 2019, 12:46:39 am »
Found this but not sure if it's the actual one or perhaps a short version of it.

https://www-yellowstonepark-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.yellowstonepark.com/.amp/things-to-do/wolf-reintroduction-changes-ecosystem?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D

I think I was googling Jellystone park before .

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #564 on: August 8, 2019, 12:51:55 am »
Just watched that.

Wow !

All things are connected .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: August 8, 2019, 12:59:27 am »
The music in the little video was very Brian Eno - ish. It's just inspired me to put Koyanisqwaatsi ( Life out of Balance which I think is a Hopi Indian saying )  by Phillip Glass .

I reckon you've heard of it GS .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: August 8, 2019, 01:52:36 am »
Found a dead mouse this morning. Was impressed with how quick a wasp was to chew thru his neck to reveal its spine earlier.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: August 8, 2019, 07:33:50 am »
That's seriously wrong and will have very unpredictable consequences, though probably all bad.

It's as poorly thought out as putting fine netting draped over trees to prevent birds nesting.

...Without wasps, the world could be overrun with spiders and insects. Each summer, social wasps in the UK capture an estimated 14 million kilogrammes of insect prey, such as caterpillars and greenfly. Perhaps we should be calling them a gardener's friend...

By all means, if it makes you feel safer (though I doubt it will actually make you any safer),  put traps up this time of the year to catch what are now mostly delinquents with no home and a bad attitude, but absolutely not in spring time. Wasps and Hornets do much unseen but very beneficial work out there during spring time.

I don't use traps or anything but I did see a thing that looked like a carrier bag that people were hanging up and it was supposed to look like a wasp nest because apparently they don't go into eachothers territory, is that true? Be better cos then you're not actually killing anything, but you might then be overrun with other stuff ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #568 on: August 8, 2019, 08:20:49 am »
I don't use traps or anything but I did see a thing that looked like a carrier bag that people were hanging up and it was supposed to look like a wasp nest because apparently they don't go into eachothers territory, is that true?

I've not heard of that and it's an interesting idea that they may be territorial over a wider area than just their nest but I'd like to see more information to prove it.

I can only go on honey bees that have no problem sharing space with with each other, my hives are only a couple of metres apart and it seems to cause no problem to them, however that behaviour may be unique to bees and not wasps.

....I reckon flies have some weird vision thing going on as in they can't see from directly above...

They have very good eyesight but do have a blind spot but also many flies have pressure sensors on the top of their body that trigger if they detect something approaching from above. I've read that this system is good enough to enable them to fly through rain without getting hit by the drops which is pretty amazing stuff when you think about it. It's also why good fly swats have lots of holes in them to minimize the pressure wave and fool the flies.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2019, 08:22:43 am by The Gulleysucker »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: August 8, 2019, 08:45:33 am »
I've not heard of that and it's an interesting idea that they may be territorial over a wider area than just their nest but I'd like to see more information to prove it.

I can only go on honey bees that have no problem sharing space with with each other, my hives are only a couple of metres apart and it seems to cause no problem to them, however that behaviour may be unique to bees and not wasps.

Reviews are mixed, but it's this thing - The waspinator

Hardly a big investment even if it doesn't work. I don't like wasps myself but I have seen one outside killing and collecting flies so I know they have their role.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #570 on: August 8, 2019, 09:06:58 am »

Reading those reviews I'm not so sure, there seemed to possibly be a lot of coincidences being reported as proof that it works.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NOeVbwFKSeI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NOeVbwFKSeI</a>   

At 2.30 that wasp seems totally unfazed by it.

I suspect it's as effective as dowsing rods or splashing Holy water around.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #571 on: August 8, 2019, 09:08:10 am »
Tried a waspinator a few years back. Fuckers then built a nest in the shed 5 yards away.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #572 on: August 8, 2019, 09:58:17 am »

I think you posted about how they turn delinquent once their work is done and purpose served earlier in the thread, I love that description and often use it when people complain about wasps so thanks for that  ;D
Agree with traps from say late July, but my experience is before then, the only time we get disturbed is by queens looking for places to build a nest in the spring. If we do have a nest, then as long as it isn't directly above a door or in the shed, the the best thing to do is let it die and get rid in the winter. After seeing loads buzzing around under the roof one summer, I got a football sized one out of the loft in October - no sign of life at all.

After reading this, sounds like the basic rule is let them do their work and then feel free to trap them when they go rogue in late summer?

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #573 on: August 8, 2019, 10:57:58 am »
I think the basic rule is

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #574 on: August 8, 2019, 12:03:37 pm »

They have very good eyesight but do have a blind spot but also many flies have pressure sensors on the top of their body that trigger if they detect something approaching from above. I've read that this system is good enough to enable them to fly through rain without getting hit by the drops which is pretty amazing stuff when you think about it. It's also why good fly swats have lots of holes in them to minimize the pressure wave and fool the flies.

I knew it then . Iam a ninja .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #575 on: August 8, 2019, 03:50:50 pm »
Just got stung on the hand, the bastard.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #576 on: August 8, 2019, 04:23:10 pm »
Just got stung on the hand, the bastard.

One was hovering around my cider before. A bit of tantric breathing and a feigned karate chop Peter Sellers style it got off.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: August 8, 2019, 10:43:01 pm »
Never bought a waspinator or given it much time. It's the sort of thing that gets sold in those free delivery shopping mags. Wasps are far too bright.

I've read that this system is good enough to enable them to fly through rain without getting hit by the drops which is pretty amazing stuff when you think about it.

***ACID FLASHBACK***

Quick question Gully: OK to house a hive on stilts surrounded by 2 or 3 chickens living underneath and around?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: August 8, 2019, 10:47:10 pm »
Wasps and Hornets do much unseen but very beneficial work out there during spring time.

100 % with wasps. Hornets die tho. Mother fuckers they die.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: August 8, 2019, 11:15:56 pm »
I don't like wasps myself but I have seen one outside killing and collecting flies so I know they have their role.

This was my gateway. Watched in some awe seeing it the first time. Saw the whole thing. Just swooped in on it. Oops, mentioned the word 'swoop' ;)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #580 on: August 8, 2019, 11:20:09 pm »
...Quick question Gully: OK to house a hive on stilts surrounded by 2 or 3 chickens living underneath and around?

The chickens will be fine as they and the Bees will quickly come to a live and let live accomodation.

Are you getting some Bees, I think you mentioned a while back that you might?

....Hornets die tho. Mother fuckers they die.

No, leave them alone, they are harmless giants that while looking fierce and like a nightmare wasp on steroids, are actually really laid back in my experiences.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250885.msg7306320#msg7306320

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273819.msg11955564#msg11955564

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: August 8, 2019, 11:35:27 pm »
too right, sprayed 2 fuckers in the office today

The spray will do more harm than a wasp.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #582 on: August 9, 2019, 08:37:53 am »
The spray will do more harm than a wasp.
Nah, he’ll be fine. 

Permethrin insecticides are quite specific

Although my dad catches wasps between his fingers and crushes them to death.  Which is frankly uncessary
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: August 9, 2019, 08:52:14 am »
The chickens will be fine as they and the Bees will quickly come to a live and let live accomodation.

Are you getting some Bees, I think you mentioned a while back that you might?

No, leave them alone, they are harmless giants that while looking fierce and like a nightmare wasp on steroids, are actually really laid back in my experiences.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=250885.msg7306320#msg7306320

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273819.msg11955564#msg11955564

Good to know about chickens/bees. Still hoping to have a hive - been a long time wish but am a long way off it. Lots to do before I start looking into it seriously. :wave

Will give the hornet approach a go. You're right that they don't 'seem' aggressive but they give me the fear. Haven't seen many this year for some reason. A few years ago I opened up the wood burner for the first time after a summer and one flew out. Glad my reaction didn't become some sort of meme.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #584 on: August 25, 2019, 03:38:21 pm »
Useless fuckers are out in full force now. Their duty done, no longer needed by the queen. Their sole mission now is tormenting, attacking and disrupting. I spent fifteen minutes this morning letting one of them out through the window, because I was in a good mood. The rest of his comrades I sent to an early grave.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #585 on: August 25, 2019, 03:49:29 pm »
Three of these horrid c*nts turned up uninvited to my BBQ yesterday, had to send them to an early grave.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #586 on: August 25, 2019, 04:13:33 pm »
I've had to evict a few of them today. There is one on the open window just now but he's not being a pest so I'll leave him alone for now. If he starts anything, he's out. 🐝
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: September 4, 2019, 11:06:02 am »
In the 80 odd yards from the supermarket door to the car, one of the little fuckers had detected the fruit in the shopping bag and was inside the bag trying to get at the fruit. Complete fluke that I saw him before I put the bag in the car. Wasps and moving cars are not a good combination. Bastard.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #588 on: September 4, 2019, 02:52:16 pm »
Got stung last week. Felt something on my back through my t-shirt, went to knock whatever it was off, felt a sharp sting-pain. I didn't even get to make it the last thing the evil shit ever did, either.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #589 on: September 4, 2019, 03:00:36 pm »
Got stung last week. Felt something on my back through my t-shirt, went to knock whatever it was off, felt a sharp sting-pain. I didn't even get to make it the last thing the evil shit ever did, either.
That's the thing with these twats. They will sting you for no reason at all. I got stung last summer. Just walking through the park I felt the sting and looked down to see the bugger sat on my shirt. I didn't even know it was there, so I definitely hadn't done anything to annoy it. The site of the sting came up in a big, itchy lump and even left a small scar.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #590 on: October 1, 2019, 08:56:52 am »

Got one on my arm sat at my desk yesterday. No sign of the fucker till I felt it. Managed to eliminate it though.

Bastards
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: October 10, 2019, 02:24:13 am »
One of the fuckers got me today . I woke up this morning and as you do you go to the toilet. I seen one on the window so had my quick piss and opened the windows then closed the door giving it a way out. The pacifist option. I went back in about an hour later to brush my teeth and looked around and thought ah , yes it's gone . All of a sudden I felt a sting in my left foot and the fucker had been waiting for me . It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to see the blister and for the sting to kick in. Anyway . War was declared. It's dead.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: October 10, 2019, 08:07:12 am »
One of the fuckers got me today . I woke up this morning and as you do you go to the toilet. I seen one on the window so had my quick piss and opened the windows then closed the door giving it a way out. The pacifist option. I went back in about an hour later to brush my teeth and looked around and thought ah , yes it's gone . All of a sudden I felt a sting in my left foot and the fucker had been waiting for me . It takes about 10 - 15 minutes to see the blister and for the sting to kick in. Anyway . War was declared. It's dead.

I admire your calmness of having a piss after you’d originally seen it

Not sure I could have done. Would have been out of there rapidly

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #593 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:54 am »

After rapidly zipping up.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #594 on: October 10, 2019, 12:15:26 pm »

I should've just killed it as the end result was still the same. My foot is still sore . Is the right after 24 hours ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: October 10, 2019, 08:50:30 pm »
I should've just killed it as the end result was still the same. My foot is still sore . Is the right after 24 hours ?
It will irritate you for a good few days kesey, the venom in those little twats is startling.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #596 on: October 10, 2019, 09:20:16 pm »

Nip to the chemist and get them to recommend a cream, I think I got my lad anti histamine. He got stung on the foot in Zante by a bee and it was still sore when we got home the next day. The cream sorted it within hours.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #597 on: October 10, 2019, 10:04:07 pm »
Knowing Kesey (from his persona on here) I don't think he'll go for a medicinal antihistimine cream. An Aloe Vera gel should help to settle things down though and that's much more natural.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: October 10, 2019, 10:21:44 pm »
I ended up using this thing I got of someone when grapepicking a few years ago and it calmed it right down. A brown Iodine thing. I learned a lesson when it comes to wasps this time of year. Strike first.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: October 10, 2019, 10:37:05 pm »
The funny thing about it all when I realised I'd been stung my instinct ( apart from killing it ) was to phone me Mum  ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi