Author Topic: Wasps  (Read 79015 times)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Wasps
« Reply #520 on: September 10, 2018, 11:01:48 pm »
...I’d imagine dogs can handle stings better than we can with their fur, would that be right?

You'd think that but it's not that simple.

Angus the Airedale, our last but sadly late dog, when we first adopted him had a thing about bees, especially bumble bees.

If he heard one, he'd chase it round the garden and try and catch it and eat it.

We kept telling him it was a bad idea and tried to discourage him from doing it, but he was a Airedale, and anyone who has owned an Airedale will understand exactly what I mean.

The word wilful springs to mind.

However, as you might know, I also keep honey bees.

Well, Angus in his infinite wisdom decided he'd have a go at one of them one lazy day.

He only did it the once.

Unlike Bumbles, Honey bees, or more specifically the hive guard ones, gang up when there is a threat and also release a pheromone when they sting which other guard bees can then home in on and sting again until the threat goes far away from the hives.

And since one of the main predators of honey bee hives over the years have been bears, honey bees have evolved to attack any threat on what they see as the face, especially around the eyes and nose, and also on the sphincter which on many animals such as dogs is often exposed....

After that incident, unsurprisingly, Angus always kept a wary distance from them, but for years after, if he thought a bee was on his coat, he would go into a state of some agitation and near panic with his tail firmly clamped down between his legs...

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #521 on: September 11, 2018, 01:17:46 am »
:lmao

Ouch! Should’ve got old Angus a pair of doggie trousers Gulley.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: September 11, 2018, 03:33:04 am »
I was out with a pal on a ride a couple of years ago and he got stung on top of his head when a Wasp got into one of the air vents on his helmet.   If only I had a GoPro back then and recorded it.  It looked hilarious.  He weren't laughing to much though    :D
Long story short...I interviewed a woman one day for a job. She described how she had been a single mom & just got married for the 2nd time and was deeply in love with this new husband.

Well, I later found out the husband knew he was highly allergic to stinging insects, and was always prepared. Got allergy shots routinely. Always carried an Epi-pen with him.

He went out for a bike ride with his wife, & got stung once somewhere in the neck/head area. Immediately gave himself a shot with the Epi-pen and swallowed Benadryl too. Keep in mind his body was already assisted by the routine allergy shots he'd been getting. Didn't matter. His throat swelled up and he choked to death before the ambulance arrived, right in his wife's arms. They'd only been married about 1-2 years. :'(
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #523 on: September 11, 2018, 11:34:29 am »
Bastards

Honey bee-killing Asian hornet sighting confirmed in Hull

Sightings of the honey bee-killing Asian hornet have been confirmed in Hull, according to the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra).

The Asian hornet is smaller than the native hornet and poses no greater risk to human health than a bee, but does pose a risk to honey bees.

The hornets feed by hovering in front of bee hives. They intercept returning bees, bite their heads off and then eat the rest, a behaviour called hawking.

Work is under way to identify nests in Hull and Defra says people should remain vigilant and report any sightings of the hornet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45481353
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:38:10 am by Ziltoid »

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2018, 12:50:32 pm »
Had a loads of wasps by us at the driving range on Saturday, Bastards, also had a hornet hovering around me & my mates at Leicester, thought it was odd as I'd not seen on for years.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #525 on: September 11, 2018, 01:11:12 pm »
Had a loads of wasps by us at the driving range on Saturday, Bastards, also had a hornet hovering around me & my mates at Leicester, thought it was odd as I'd not seen on for years.

Was it the Watford mascot, perchance?

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: September 11, 2018, 01:13:02 pm »
You'd think that but it's not that simple.

Angus the Airedale, our last but sadly late dog, when we first adopted him had a thing about bees, especially bumble bees.

If he heard one, he'd chase it round the garden and try and catch it and eat it.

We kept telling him it was a bad idea and tried to discourage him from doing it, but he was a Airedale, and anyone who has owned an Airedale will understand exactly what I mean.

The word wilful springs to mind.

A few year ago we had a dog, a Wire Haired Fox Terrier called Dougal.

Thinking of him 2 words spring to mind = "Dumb fuck"

That hound was out to lunch     :rash

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #527 on: September 11, 2018, 01:25:07 pm »
A few year ago we had a dog, a Wire Haired Fox Terrier called Dougal.

Thinking of him 2 words spring to mind = "Dumb fuck"

That hound was out to lunch     :rash

They do often say dogs are like their owners. ;)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: September 11, 2018, 01:31:24 pm »
They do often say dogs are like their owners. ;)
Aye, well I can just imagine ye with your Poodle.   ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #529 on: September 11, 2018, 02:32:57 pm »
Aye, well I can just imagine ye with your Poodle.   ;D

:D

It’s a little shitzu actually.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #530 on: September 11, 2018, 03:21:23 pm »
:D

It’s a little shitzu actually.

really?  Thought it'd be a COCKer Spaniel  ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #531 on: September 11, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »
really?  Thought it'd be a COCKer Spaniel  ;)

Thanks for using capital letters to draw attention to the otherwise cleverly hidden wordplay.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #532 on: September 11, 2018, 04:03:10 pm »
Thanks for using capital letters to draw attention to the otherwise cleverly hidden wordplay.

;D

you do have a big one though

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #533 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:54 pm »
The situation from getting stung last weekend has resulted in me ending up in a&e on intravenous penicillin to combat cellulitis.

What a bastard week I've had [emoji49]

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: August 2, 2019, 11:21:41 am »
The bastards are everywhere at the minute - one of them is crawling around the skirting board as I type.

Went out Monday afternoon for a drink, we were sat outside and I trapped 6 of the fuckers under glasses, plus we killed another few. At the same place the previous Thursday, my sister in law got stung on the finger, it swelled up and went a horrible shade of blood red.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #535 on: August 3, 2019, 02:30:10 am »
The situation from getting stung last weekend has resulted in me ending up in a&e on intravenous penicillin to combat cellulitis.

What a bastard week I've had [emoji49]

Sounds nasty. My dad had that in his leg after an insect bite in Wales. He ended up in Bangor hospital for weeks.

I got stung by a wasp last summer. The first time since I was at school. Just walking through the park I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I looked down and there was the stripey little bugger on my t-shirt. It did swell up and it left a small scar, but thankfully there were no other problems. I was already on anti-histamines at the time, and that may have helped because I am prone to allergic reactions.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: August 3, 2019, 07:49:12 am »
Sounds nasty. My dad had that in his leg after an insect bite in Wales. He ended up in Bangor hospital for weeks.

I got stung by a wasp last summer. The first time since I was at school. Just walking through the park I felt a sharp pain in my chest. I looked down and there was the stripey little bugger on my t-shirt. It did swell up and it left a small scar, but thankfully there were no other problems. I was already on anti-histamines at the time, and that may have helped because I am prone to allergic reactions.
It is nasty mate so not surprised about your dads situation.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #537 on: August 5, 2019, 11:03:03 am »
c*nts are out and about now, bastards

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: August 5, 2019, 11:26:17 am »
Used half a can of wasp killer on the little fuckers over the weekend. Trying to sit in the garden and it was wasp after wasp.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline diglet

• Main Stander
« Reply #539 on: August 5, 2019, 09:23:32 pm »
These c*nts were nowhere to be seen for most of June and July and it was glorious. Stripy little fuckers are all out now though and seem to have made up for the late arrival by being even more aggro than usual. Got chased twice on Saturday and then about 6 appeared out of nowhere while I was having lunch and stung my little lad on the hand.  :no

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: August 5, 2019, 09:30:09 pm »
Are wasps benificial at all like bees or are they just c*nts?

Poured half a can of Koppaberg on the grass as the missus never finishes them, anyway within 20 minutes the garden is swarmed by the fuckers.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: August 5, 2019, 10:20:06 pm »
Are wasps benificial at all like bees or are they just c*nts?

Poured half a can of Koppaberg on the grass as the missus never finishes them, anyway within 20 minutes the garden is swarmed by the fuckers.

Yeah, apparently, pest control and pollinators.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #542 on: August 5, 2019, 11:47:53 pm »
I've had to spit two out of my mouth the past week when the daft fuckers had drowned in my Cider. Didn't know they were there until I felt something odd in my mouth .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: August 6, 2019, 02:21:27 am »
Don't really get them here in TX, however they have a manc cousin - fucking mosquitos - wankers. You can't see the fuckers and they like my translucent british skin - was out cleaning the outdoor kitchen - got bit about 8 times without knowing it - but once inside it itches like fuck

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #544 on: August 6, 2019, 06:41:29 am »

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: August 6, 2019, 08:27:22 am »
It seems they (unfortunately) serve a purpose. C*nts! :no

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/in-defence-of-wasps-why-squashing-them-comes-with-a-sting-in-the-tale-a7144306.html

There is enough of them to take the loss of a few bastards attacking us.

I've had to spit two out of my mouth the past week when the daft fuckers had drowned in my Cider. Didn't know they were there until I felt something odd in my mouth .

They must be able to smell cider from miles away, that is deffo the drink they are attracted to when we are sat outside.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #546 on: August 6, 2019, 09:13:52 am »
It seems they (unfortunately) serve a purpose. C*nts! :no

They may do, but their utter cuntishness means outweighs and purpose served and therefore need to be killed.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: August 6, 2019, 10:53:05 am »
They may do, but their utter cuntishness means outweighs and purpose served and therefore need to be killed.

Jurgen YNWA

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #548 on: August 6, 2019, 10:58:05 am »

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #549 on: August 6, 2019, 02:12:29 pm »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #550 on: August 7, 2019, 04:09:28 pm »
There is enough of them to take the loss of a few bastards attacking us.

They must be able to smell cider from miles away, that is deffo the drink they are attracted to when we are sat outside.

Yep. When I've been in the countryside they are all over apples that have fallen from trees.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: August 7, 2019, 07:30:44 pm »
You all need to get or make wasp traps for the garden.   They don't stop them visiting but the fuckers never return [emoji1]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #552 on: August 7, 2019, 07:38:19 pm »
You all need to get or make wasp traps for the garden.   They don't stop them visiting but the fuckers never return [emoji1]

Sounds like the Hotel California.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: August 7, 2019, 07:41:01 pm »
Sounds like the Hotel California.

The Koppaberg on ice
Jurgen YNWA

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: August 7, 2019, 07:52:41 pm »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #555 on: August 7, 2019, 07:54:16 pm »
That’s a bit sinister  ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: August 7, 2019, 08:10:38 pm »
So are wasps! [emoji23]

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: August 7, 2019, 08:58:42 pm »
That’s a bit sinister  ;D
So are wasps! [emoji23]

Look, I know they stole Coventry's ground, but that's taking it a bit far.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #558 on: August 7, 2019, 09:18:58 pm »
https://www.taptrap.com/en/wasp-traps-we-must-place-them-spring

That's seriously wrong and will have very unpredictable consequences, though probably all bad.

It's as poorly thought out as putting fine netting draped over trees to prevent birds nesting.

...Without wasps, the world could be overrun with spiders and insects. Each summer, social wasps in the UK capture an estimated 14 million kilogrammes of insect prey, such as caterpillars and greenfly. Perhaps we should be calling them a gardener's friend...

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-do-wasps-do.html

By all means, if it makes you feel safer (though I doubt it will actually make you any safer),  put traps up this time of the year to catch what are now mostly delinquents with no home and a bad attitude, but absolutely not in spring time. Wasps and Hornets do much unseen but very beneficial work out there during spring time.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: August 7, 2019, 10:37:14 pm »
That's seriously wrong and will have very unpredictable consequences, though probably all bad.

It's as poorly thought out as putting fine netting draped over trees to prevent birds nesting.

...Without wasps, the world could be overrun with spiders and insects. Each summer, social wasps in the UK capture an estimated 14 million kilogrammes of insect prey, such as caterpillars and greenfly. Perhaps we should be calling them a gardener's friend...

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/what-do-wasps-do.html

By all means, if it makes you feel safer (though I doubt it will actually make you any safer),  put traps up this time of the year to catch what are now mostly delinquents with no home and a bad attitude, but absolutely not in spring time. Wasps and Hornets do much unseen but very beneficial work out there during spring time.
Agreed mate.  I'd never heard of putting out traps in spring till I read that as we would only ever do so mid to late summer.

Having grown up surrounded by
orchards we learnt early in our lives how to coexist with the little fuckers but we also had traps out once the fruit started to ripen.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk