Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 112248 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #400 on: April 29, 2017, 09:55:36 am »
I said it months before its release, it'll fly off shelves. Wait until Christmas: it'll be the Wii all over again, maybe even more mental to try and get a hold of one. Selling nearly 3 million units in 2 months is nothing to be scoffed at. It's not peak time to sell hardware either.

Mario Oddessy at Holiday season, Xenoblade (Nintendo still say 2017) as well as a rumored Pokémon stars game. That would be crazy.

Once the Mario Kart bundles start being released for holidays it's a lock.

Nintendo Switch has secured its first UK No.1 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

In fact, it's the first Nintendo boxed game to get to No.1 since 2011, when the format holder topped the charts with Pokémon White on DS. It's also the first Mario game to reach the top of the charts since Mario Kart Wii in 2008.

Nintendo used the launch of its racer to ship more Switch stock to retailers, which has seen The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild return to the Top Five (at No.5) with a 68% increase in sales week-on-week.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...o-1-since-2011

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With more than 459,000 combined packaged and digital sales in the U.S. on launch day alone (April 28), Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for the Nintendo Switch system is the fastest-selling game in the long-running Mario Kart series. The previous record holder for the highest first-day sales in the franchise was Mario Kart Wii, with U.S. sales of approximately 433,900 when it launched in 2008. The solid sales numbers for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe equate to an attach rate of 45 percent – meaning nearly one in two Nintendo Switch owners in the U.S. purchased a copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the first day it was available. To date, more than 2.7 million Nintendo Switch systems have been sold globally.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has also received more perfect review scores than any other Mario Kart game ever. With a current Metacritic score of 93, the critically acclaimed title is the highest-rated game in the series in 15 years – tying the overall review score of Mario Kart: Super Circuit for Game Boy Advance.

To continue this strong momentum into the summer, a series of great games will launch for Nintendo Switch over the next few months, including Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (May 11), Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (May 26), ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21).

http://gonintendo.com/stories/279295-noa-pr-mario-kart-8-deluxe-for-nintendo-switch-is-the-fastest-s

Smash bros Wii U port for the switch is a no brainer!!!

MK8 deluxe beastly sales

« Last Edit: May 1, 2017, 05:26:39 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: May 6, 2017, 10:30:53 pm »
Bought MK8 and a Pro controller today, love them both!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: May 9, 2017, 12:43:09 pm »
Awaiting a pro controller, should be here any day now.

However, I stuck an amfilm screen protector on as soon as I pulled the device out the box, applied 1st time, looked fantastic. Have removed the switch like 3 times from the dock and noted a small scuff on the protector near the bottom right. I  know there are many saying the dock can be wonky but mine doesn't look too bad, straight at least. That said, the clearance from the dock and the screen is nearly nothing. Have been extremely careful placing this in the dock so what is up here? bah! other minor annoyances aside its a great device.

btw can you charge the joy-cons (attached to the switch and in the dock) and use a pro controller via tv output at the same time, daft question maybe but knowing this thing ..
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: May 9, 2017, 10:08:57 pm »
Bought NBA Playgrounds today, such a fun game if your into basketball 😆

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2017, 02:13:08 am »
Still unavailable`bee on Amazon US. Driving me nuts!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: May 10, 2017, 12:04:24 pm »
Bought NBA Playgrounds today, such a fun game if your into basketball 😆

Tempted but undocked mode looks off.  The resolution isn't right and looks blurry too me.  What do you think of undocked mode?

Not sure if anyone can help but when I try playing 2 player Mario kart with 2 joycons it never works.  I remove the joycons but the switch only recognises them as one controller and not two. Not sure why it happens or how to fix it?

Still unavailable`bee on Amazon US. Driving me nuts!

The thirst is real.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:07:11 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #406 on: May 10, 2017, 12:27:58 pm »
Tempted but undocked mode looks off.  The resolution isn't right and looks blurry too me.  What do you think of undocked mode?

Not sure if anyone can help but when I try playing 2 player Mario kart with 2 joycons it never works.  I remove the joycons but the switch only recognises them as one controller and not two. Not sure why it happens or how to fix it?

The thirst is real.

There is an option when you set up a multiplayer game to treat the joycon as 1 or 2 controllers.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: May 10, 2017, 12:35:06 pm »
There is an option when you set up a multiplayer game to treat the joycon as 1 or 2 controllers.

Ok I'll have a look again later but sure I didn't see anything.  All I see is the request to press the shoulder buttons on each joy con which I do but its just the one controller it see's it as.

This is what I see.

https://ibb.co/j04NGQ
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:41:07 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: May 10, 2017, 01:04:00 pm »
Which L and R button are you pressing? The L and R buttons change between single and paired.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: May 10, 2017, 01:09:32 pm »
Ok I'll have a look again later but sure I didn't see anything.  All I see is the request to press the shoulder buttons on each joy con which I do but its just the one controller it see's it as.

This is what I see.

https://ibb.co/j04NGQ

Are you actually holding the joycons horizontally?

Best thing to do is go in game then press the sync button on each joycon and it takes you to the start of the process.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: May 10, 2017, 04:45:50 pm »

The thirst is real.
Haven't tried it undocked mate but it looks fine on the TV. Have heard it's off in undocked mode though.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: May 10, 2017, 11:00:20 pm »
Are you actually holding the joycons horizontally?

Best thing to do is go in game then press the sync button on each joycon and it takes you to the start of the process.

Yeah. Tried resyncing and still no joy

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:30 am »
How do you play 8 player in MK8 locally? If I had two Switches, can they synch, or do you need a network connection?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:35 pm »
Anyone know anywhere doing a mario kart bundle on finance that actually has stock in?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: May 14, 2017, 07:56:16 pm »
Started a friend code thread.

Be good to have some MK8 race action

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #415 on: May 15, 2017, 05:08:51 pm »
Started a friend code thread.

Be good to have some MK8 race action

RAWK Championships beckon.

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: May 15, 2017, 05:29:43 pm »
RAWK Championships beckon.

Well you certainly aren't Premier League material.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2017, 08:22:11 pm »
Well you certainly aren't Premier League material.

I know my limitations.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:08 pm »
Wrote this in the other thread but if there's any MK8 going on, I'm SW-3011-5372-7932 !

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2017, 08:39:21 pm »
Wrote this in the other thread but if there's any MK8 going on, I'm SW-3011-5372-7932 !

JUST DANCE 2017 DEMO
Played for a few minutes

:lmao

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: May 19, 2017, 04:58:39 pm »
JUST DANCE 2017 DEMO
Played for a few minutes

:lmao

That was the time it took for my 4 year old to beat me at it.. not playing that one again :D

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2017, 07:59:12 pm »
Just caved and ordered one with MK8, can't wait!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: May 21, 2017, 04:46:50 pm »
What's ths chances of getting 007 Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing on this? Would love it!

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #423 on: May 22, 2017, 04:19:15 pm »
What's ths chances of getting 007 Goldeneye and Diddy Kong Racing on this? Would love it!

I'd say slim to none unfortunately, Goldeneye was licenced and the 007 rights have been with EA (I think) pretty much ever since.  Diddy Kong Racing may be slightly more doable, but seeing as Rare are now owned by Microsoft (and Nintendo makes it's own Kart racing game) I wouldn't hold your breath.

Anyhow, picked a Switch up today along with Mario Kart, my first impressions:

Good:
The whole thing feels really nice to hold, I thought the "Joycons" (shudder) would be too small for my hands but they're really comfortable, even using one to play 2 player wasn't too bad.
Playing console quality Mario Kart anywhere you want is a thing of wonder, played a Grand Prix in bed before (using the kickstand) and it was great. Can't wait to take it on holiday.
The "HD Rumble" on the controllers is magnificent, a real game changer.

Bad:
The built in wi-fi is complete arse, connected up fine, then dropped 20 mins later and refused to reconnect (this is in the same room as the router). Luckily I managed to get it connected to my phone as a hotspot and I've got a USB LAN adapter coming from Amazon tomorrow (for 6 quid, so I can't complain).
Everything is quite expensive, I ideally want to pick up Zelda, another set of "Joycons" and a few other bits for when ARMS comes out especially, but those 3 things alone are going to set me back almost Ł200. Looks like I'll be sticking to 2 player and grabbing a few indy games off the eShop until I can justify that much money out.

All in all, I'm really impressed with it for the most part, I'll stick my friend code up in the thread when I get the chance.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2017, 10:19:48 pm »
Mine arrived today, have to say it's a fantastic bit of kit!

Me and the Gf haven't been off it all night, had such a laugh on Mario Katt.

Only downside for me so far is the size of the joycons when they're not docked, i've got big hands and fingers so the buttons actually killed my fingers off.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 23, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »

Only downside for me so far is the size of the joycons when they're not docked, i've got big hands and fingers so the buttons actually killed my fingers off.
Get yourself a set of these.

There's a couple variations available. They're fairly cheap too.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: May 23, 2017, 11:01:55 pm »

Mate ever since I bough MK8 me and the mrs have been on it every single night since haha! Get the pro controller, I think it's class.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 24, 2017, 04:47:41 pm »
Havent got a pro controller yet but will get this one:

Also ordered myself one of these as they now have Switch support:

Finally will have a DPad for Neo Geo classics.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 04:53:28 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 25, 2017, 12:12:52 am »
]

Also ordered myself one of these as they now have Switch support:

Finally will have a DPad for Neo Geo classics.
What about one of these ones instead?

SNES and NES in one controller, along with the analogue sticks. Not sure if they have a rumble feature [/img]on them. Would be amazing if it had.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 12:19:02 am by Macphisto80 »

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: May 25, 2017, 12:32:33 am »
What about one of these ones instead?

SNES and NES in one controller, along with the analogue sticks. Not sure if they have a rumble feature [/img]on them. Would be amazing if it had.

What is the brand name for those?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 25, 2017, 12:33:39 am »
8bitdo

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 28, 2017, 11:33:02 am »
Anyone getting Street Fighter 2?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:38 pm »
Anyone getting Street Fighter 2?

It's absoloute dogshit on Switch apparently.

MK8 is a fucking bastard online! Not finished higher than 4th I don't think.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2017, 09:08:12 am »
I have a question. Probably a dumb one.

How can a game the size and depth of Breath of the Wild "only" take up 13.4gb of storage on the Switch?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 30, 2017, 09:29:25 am »
These are only 32gb of storage? What's the point in that? Do you have to install games before playing like on PS4 or can you just play straight away?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: May 30, 2017, 10:17:50 am »
These are only 32gb of storage? What's the point in that? Do you have to install games before playing like on PS4 or can you just play straight away?

32gb of onboard storage. You can put whatever size micro SD card you want in it.

The games aren't massive anyway, I've got 8 games installed on mine and haven't filled it.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: May 30, 2017, 10:31:50 am »
32gb of onboard storage. You can put whatever size micro SD card you want in it.

The games aren't massive anyway, I've got 8 games installed on mine and haven't filled it.

Yeah was aware of the option for an SD card, but didn't think it'd be as little as 32gb on the console itself. Got one for my lad yesterday for his birthday in July. He'll have 32gb used in no time probably.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: May 30, 2017, 10:43:21 am »
Yeah was aware of the option for an SD card, but didn't think it'd be as little as 32gb on the console itself. Got one for my lad yesterday for his birthday in July. He'll have 32gb used in no time probably.

Honestly, don't think of it in relation to the PS4/Xbox - these games are only a couple of GB each if you download them. Mario Kart 4 is 6gb, Mr Shifty is 3, Zelda is 13. If you play the games on cartridges, the console runs them straight off them, so you don't need to install it on the system, so the only data that's taken up is saves. There's a couple of Japanese anthology games which are massive, but very few of them exist.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:00 pm »
I don't think my question was clear. A standard blu-ray film of 3 hours can be around 15-20gbs. So how can Zelda, with all it's music, sequences, data, graphics etc etc, be only 13gb?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 30, 2017, 12:28:32 pm »
I don't think my question was clear. A standard blu-ray film of 3 hours can be around 15-20gbs. So how can Zelda, with all it's music, sequences, data, graphics etc etc, be only 13gb?

I'll have a go.

Firstly, a significant proportion of the asset library is relatively low res.
There is a lot of nothing in this game - lots of walking around through grass. These land areas will be procedurally generated from a low amount of assets, meaning that there isn't a texture for every eventuality, like there is in say COD: Infinite Warfare.
The textures are also very flat, and there is a lot of cel shading - block colours are far more space efficient than gradients and metalics and reflections.
There is a lot of music, but also there is a lot of repeated music. Also, modern day music compression technology is incredibly efficient.
There aren't an enormous amount of different enemies in this game. There are plenty, but you're not getting different enemies on each different level like you would in a traditional game.
The shrines are repurposed assets - each one takes place in the same 'box' and just has different arrangements inside each one.

Those will be the main things I think - I didn't build the game so am only making sensible guesses. I don't think I'll be miles off.