Author Topic: It's just a battle for the order of the first 4 spots now between 5 teams...  (Read 556827 times)

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Is it just a battle for 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st spot with 4 other teams now?
« Reply #2640 on: February 24, 2014, 11:47:52 am »
They are all tough games now, especially if you are in the mix.
Its the business end of the season - no more easy games. No one can afford to drop points.
Squeaky bum time!

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2641 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:20 am »
Our form since Hull away (14 games) is 2.29 PPG (over a season that would be 87 points). Our form since the halfway point (8 games) is 2.5 PPG (over a season that would 95 points).

Last season we struggled early on than then showed CL qualification form in the second half of the season.

This season we showed CL qualification form early on but have now upped our game to champions type form.

The linear progression is clear to see. It may still be too late to win the title this year, but if we can take this type of form into a new season then we are well and truly on our way!

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2642 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:24 pm »
If we go to St Mary's and win, I'll believe the title is ours a distict possibility.
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2643 on: February 24, 2014, 12:04:47 pm »
Landing the title after finishing 7th last season is not impossible but improbable. For that to happen, we would need to win every game and hope the chasing pack fall in one or two games. Sounds like a tough ask and it is. Getting to CL next season is still the objective although this represents the best chance of winning the league without getting entangled with other 'distractions' like CL or FA Cup

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2644 on: February 24, 2014, 12:06:21 pm »
Its just great to be back challenging for something at last.
Especially after all the years of shite with the Tumours, Cockpurslow sacking Rafa and employing Hodgson, Suarez-gate and it's sequel, swapping the likes of Alonso, Mascherano and that Lady Boy for Konchesky, Cole, Paulsen, Carroll and Downing and not forgetting the all time low of sacking The King.
But we have a boss manager. We have the best strikers in the league.
Folk are now talking about us because of the great football once more. The mancs are scared. The bitters beaten and even more bitter.
We are on the rise again! Its unlikely we'll win it this year but no harm in going for it. Whatever the result we'll get closer than we have been for a good few years and send a few warning shots across the bows of the big boys.

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2646 on: February 24, 2014, 12:08:05 pm »
Landing the title after finishing 7th last season is not impossible but improbable.

I agree with that, but I don't believe we'd need to win every game to have a chance, given the respective fixtures for the other teams in contention.

9 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat from here would see us finish on 84 points. That may or may not be enough, ultimately, but it won't be far away.
Twitter | Blog

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2647 on: February 24, 2014, 12:18:30 pm »

Looking at your next 5 games, im stunned how bad it looks. The schedule computer sure screwed you over there. 4 out of 5 are away games, and there all tough as anything. Then your one home game is against City. If i was an Arsenal fan, i'd get a headache just staring at that fixture run!

Indeed, and it is easy to see why people believe we will fall away over that period. In fairness to the computer we were due a home game against Swansea in the middle of it but that had to be rearranged. However, its daunting.

Your late winners in the last two league games has really kept the pressure on, you could be sitting 2 points ahead of Spurs and 8 off first but instead your are 6 clear of the chasing pack and only four off the front. Ourselves as well as Chelsea and City will all accpt your fully in the title race now.

The way I see it - Games between Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs will determine where the title goes. The remaining games will determine wether the chasiing pack can claw back the deficit to the top four and wether those in the top four drop out of the title race and get pulled into a battle for CL qualification. 

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #2648 on: February 24, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
Its just great to be back challenging for something at last...

For me...it's great to be taken seriously again.

For far too long 'pundits' have felt justified in dismissing us as serious contenders...the likes of Patrick Barkley et al passing comment each Sunday morning.

The fun side of it too...this is real fun...his beloved Scum-chester struggling without the Sith lord to lead them. 

Long way to go n all that stuff...but nobody is looking forward to playing us...n some of them will be equally as nervous cos we have the ability to ruin their title run-in.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:22:41 pm by I-was-there »
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2649 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »
I agree with that, but I don't believe we'd need to win every game to have a chance, given the respective fixtures for the other teams in contention.

9 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat from here would see us finish on 84 points. That may or may not be enough, ultimately, but it won't be far away.

Huge ask that. Over the course of a season that form would be roughly 31 wins 3.5 draws and 3.5 defeats. No team is even close to those stats with 11 games remaining.

And your talking about going on 3/4/5 game winning streaks. Hardly any team is doing that at the minute, West Ham's tun of 4 wins and a draw is the envy of the league.

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #2650 on: February 24, 2014, 12:24:40 pm »
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with being cautious talking about winning the title - I guess all of our beliefs are a mixture of hope and expectation.

Obviously we all hope we all hope we win but given that we are significantly ahead of the curve given our original target, let alone our expectations, I can't criticise those who are counselling everyone to keep cool heads.

Having said that, there is a growing belief that we are right in the mix for the top spot. We have major players ready to come back for us, no european distraction and momentum.

Perhaps the biggest advantage though is that we have Steven Gerrard and Luis Suarez.

Frankly put, when you look back through the careers of players at that level they simply win things - Maradonna, Ibrahimovic, Aguero, Cantona are irrepressible. None of the other teams have individual players with significantly more claim to win this league than the likes of our top stars.

We deserve to be where we are, when it comes to lifting the trophy, why not us?*

*this is a rhetorical question you miserable *****s!
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #2651 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:32 pm »
We're at a point now where we can look up, not down, the ladder. And that's a good a spot as can be at this point of the season.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline GregCharrua

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2652 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:21 pm »
This next stretch of games tells us where how close the title will be.

Is this the most exciting season in a long time? Not just for Liverpool but the league? Talent and interest at the top, bottom and middle. Shockers every weekend. And David Moyes Is Still The Manager of Manchester United™ ... but that's for another thread.  ;D

Offline red_til_i_die

• Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina walks on water
« Reply #2653 on: February 24, 2014, 12:30:01 pm »
If we can match the other teams above us away from home and then pick up points against them at home then that's the chance but we won't do that without sorting out our defence and the amount of errors were making.

4th is target this season (unless it looks like one of the English teams is going to win the CL and then it has to be 3rd) and anything better than that is a bonus
Slappa da Bass mon! Slappa deee Bassssss!!!!!
Love you Bro-Montana

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2654 on: February 24, 2014, 12:31:54 pm »

We won't need to win every game, but we would definitely need to win our home games against Man City and Chelsea. As for the other top 7 clubs, there will be some points dropped in their direct fixtures:

08.03. Chelsea v Tottenham
16.03. Man Utd v Liverpool
16.03. Tottenham v Arsenal
22.03. Chelsea v Arsenal
25.03. Man Utd v Man City
29.03. Arsenal v Man City
30.03. Liverpool v Tottenham
05.04. Everton v Arsenal
12.04. Liverpool v Man City
19.04. Everton v Man Utd
26.04. Liverpool v Chelsea
03.05. Everton v Man City
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:34:20 pm by Macedonian Red Reborn »
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2655 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:49 pm »
Huge ask that. Over the course of a season that form would be roughly 31 wins 3.5 draws and 3.5 defeats. No team is even close to those stats with 11 games remaining.

And your talking about going on 3/4/5 game winning streaks. Hardly any team is doing that at the minute, West Ham's tun of 4 wins and a draw is the envy of the league.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/form-guide.html
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2656 on: February 24, 2014, 12:49:40 pm »

It is a huge ask, I know. As others have said, it's far more possible than probable, that's for sure. But it is possible.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, over the last 14 games (since the defeat away at Hull) we've been running at 2.29PPG.

If we continue at that level we'd finish on 81/82 points. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could add a point or two to that total. Alas, the opposite is also true, of course.

It's brilliant to just be able to discuss such things with a straight face again though, to be honest. At that very simple level i'm loving every second of it.
Twitter | Blog

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #2657 on: February 24, 2014, 12:55:16 pm »
You lot are making me think we miiiight be able to do it.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2658 on: February 24, 2014, 12:56:20 pm »

Get on board with the dream, mate.  :wave

If you can't dream, then what's the point in football?
Twitter | Blog

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2659 on: February 24, 2014, 12:57:59 pm »

Fair enough, Liverpool and also Chelsea have similar record's over the last 5 games but still, its not a regular occurance in the league, look at what it has done for you and West Ham.

One has taken a team from fighting relegation to the top half of the table and the other has taken a team fighting for fourth spot to opening a gap on the teams behind them and clsoing the gap on the league leaders.

If you keep that up, its the form of Champions. Big ask.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2660 on: February 24, 2014, 01:02:54 pm »
Get on board with the dream, mate.  :wave

If you can't dream, then what's the point in football?

I'm all aboard the dream train.

Imagine how good it would be. Imagine the celebrations. Imagine the kip of the Blue Kippers.

Steven Gerrard is too good to retire without lifting that trophy. He deserves it more than anyone.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Hayer

• World Class Whinger. Sorry, winger.....or was I right the first time.....?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2661 on: February 24, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »

Don't get too ahead of yourself, it's very unlikely. A challenge to the last month will be great and is what we should be hoping for. It's another thing actually winning the thing though.

We should be happy to be in the conversation, considering where we've been the last few seasons. Let's just enjoy it and see where this goes. No pressure.

Offline Chris Vincent

• This is how I interpret myself.
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liverpool Way - Fierce But Fair
    • Liverpool FC
« Reply #2662 on: February 24, 2014, 01:05:57 pm »
Being 4 points Off the Top, Liverpool definitely have an outside chance to win the Premiership. Moreover, we have the 2nd best Goal Difference in the Top 4. This could be a deciding factor after 38 matches to decide the winner - as it is highly possible that 2 or more teams could finish with the same amount of points at the end of the season..

There is currently a difference of 10 & 15 Points between the league leaders, and Tottenham (5th) & Man Utd (6th) respectively. So they seem to be out of the running.

Chelsea & Man City both have yet to visit Anfield (where Liverpool are much stronger). So this could be a good opportunity to gain ground on them. However those matches do come with a potential downside - should those 2 teams win at Anfield, Tottenham could yet make a comeback for 4th place (despite being currently 6 points behind).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 01:10:19 pm by Chris Vincent »
Men & Women are Equal but Not Identical. They are the Same in Many Ways but also Different in Others. That Difference should be Celebrated & Embraced.

A Man has to be a Man, Strong & Dominant, while at the same time be Sensitive to the Specific Needs of a Woman & Admire her Inner Beauty.

Liverpool FC

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2663 on: February 24, 2014, 01:06:49 pm »

Also, your away form is Joint fifth in the league, whcich isnt as promising heading into 3 away games in a row.

Offline I-was-watching-it-on-Sky

• Jiggerer Pokerer. He was watching, he was watching, he was watching it on Sky. He was watching it on Sky!
  • Kopite
  • We return to our place as football Royalty.
« Reply #2664 on: February 24, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
Fair enough, Liverpool and also Chelsea have similar record's over the last 5 games but still, its not a regular occurance in the league, look at what it has done for you and West Ham.

One has taken a team from fighting relegation to the top half of the table and the other has taken a team fighting for fourth spot to opening a gap on the teams behind them and clsoing the gap on the league leaders.

If you keep that up, its the form of Champions. Big ask.

The fact that you're in here...trying to dampen down our spirit...gainsaying any posit of our possibilities which is putto you just shows us that you take us more seriously than you let on.

We may have a dream...we may be wishing...but it is born of more than lights and dust...and whatever happens...it won't happen without us directly influencing it.
Lesser Redneck Shitehawk

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #2665 on: February 24, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »

We are, we've just won 3 in a row and have won 6 and drawn 2 of our last 8 league games.

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2666 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:28 pm »
The fact that you're in here...trying to dampen down our spirit...gainsaying any posit of our possibilities which is putto you just shows us that you take us more seriously than you let on.

We may have a dream...we may be wishing...but it is born of more than lights and dust...and whatever happens...it won't happen without us directly influencing it.

Whatever.

I said weeks ago Liverpool would play a major role in deciding where the league ended up, even if it wasnt Anfield, and have recently stated you are one of my favourites for the league given your lack of committments and run-in.

Just trying to have a bir of reasoned debate about the remaining games of the top four teams - the whole point of the thread.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #2667 on: February 24, 2014, 01:12:55 pm »
Also, your away form is Joint fifth in the league, whcich isnt as promising heading into 3 away games in a row.

I think you need to bear in mind the relative strength of the away games we've played so far. We've been away to all the sides above us and only a few of the bottom teams.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2668 on: February 24, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »
I think you need to bear in mind the relative strength of the away games we've played so far. We've been away to all the sides above us and only a few of the bottom teams.

Exactly. Our remaining away fixtures are:

Southampton
Manchester United
Cardiff
West Ham
Norwich
Palace

The next two are tricky, but overall that's not a set of fixtures that we should be fearing.
Twitter | Blog

Offline l12ngo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2669 on: February 24, 2014, 01:17:21 pm »
I think at this time of the season you're looking for some sort of new impetus just to push that bit further. Sakho coming back and Suarez hitting goal scoring form again (which I believe will happen once he just gets one) could be it for us.

Regardless, nice to see us top of the form table and goal scoring charts as well as building a little gap between 4th & 5th after this weekend's matches.

Offline GG8

• Legacy Fan
  • Löndön is Red.
« Reply #2670 on: February 24, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »
We are, we've just won 3 in a row and have won 6 and drawn 2 of our last 8 league games.

No your not. As over the course of the season you have already lost or drawn 10 games, and no team has lost or drawn less than 8 (City).

So everyone has been playing worse than the form required to finish a season 9 wins 1 draw and 1 loss. Thats the point I was trying to make.

Anyway, as MacRed says, you wouldnt even need to do that. There are enough games between the top 6/7 remaining for everyone to lose points, the key is hopefully winning or at least not losing against the teams in and around you.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #2671 on: February 24, 2014, 01:19:07 pm »
Would anyone take 3rd if it was offered to us now? I'm probably in a minority based on this last page but I certainly would.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #2672 on: February 24, 2014, 01:22:22 pm »
Would anyone take 3rd if it was offered to us now? I'm probably in a minority based on this last page but I certainly would.

Yes.
Twitter | Blog

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2673 on: February 24, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »

Definitely.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #2674 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26:09 pm »

If you offered me that you would have no hand left good sir.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2675 on: February 24, 2014, 01:26:48 pm »

Am wondering if we win a few more if this will change to "Would anyone take 2nd if it was offered to us now?"

;)

Offline lobsterboy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2676 on: February 24, 2014, 01:30:26 pm »

Deffo. I'd bite your arm off.
Would be a massive leap forwards for us.
Would also eliminate the unlikely but still possible chance of Gollums lot winning the CL and removing the 4th place spot.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2677 on: February 24, 2014, 01:31:05 pm »

I wouldn't. Teams with the wind in their sails coming into a run-in can do wonderful things. When I think back to teams I've coached who have hit a bit of form and done something positive, if at the 2/3's point of the season someone said something like "Would you take 5th if offered/would you take 3rd if offered", and I said "Yes", then we would have achieved LESS than what we eventually did achieve.

When it's mathematically impossible to win the league, THEN we can start snatching hands off to finish in the 4th/3rd/2nd spots.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #2678 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:42 pm »

I'd take where we are with 11 games to go and the opportunity to finish higher than this. Think we have every chance of doing so, few nervous moments yesterday, but hardly on our own, Chelsea looked poor and City not much better. Its the way of the world, every run comes with nerves, if you take the points, well its all that matters for me.

With Suarez we'll always pick up points, and I fancy more than Arsenal, at least.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2679 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »
Given all the talk of Arsenal's crazy period of games on the horizon, I didnt realise that Liverpool actually have a very tough run of games around the corner.

Southampton (A)
United (A)
Cardiff (A)
Tottenham (H)
West Ham (A)
City (H)
Norwich (A)
Chelsea (H)

That is a tough run of games, 4 of the top 6 (albiet 3 at home), 2 visits to relegation scrapping teams and 2 visits to Southampton who we all know can turn it on when needed and West Ham who have seemingly turned a corner.

I agree. I don't buy this nonsense about our run in being easy.

Southampton away is as tough for us as any of those are. West Ham also the way they play. We'd expect 16pts from 24 (2ppg) the way things are going but that might be a little optimistic as we've run out of easy home games and our away form is treading water. Can we get a point at St Mary's? The great escape against Fulham suggested we might have a bit extra but we just cannot defend!

Southampton (A) (L)
United (A) (D)
Cardiff (A) (W)
Tottenham (H) (D)
West Ham (A) (D)
City (H) (D)
Norwich (A) (W)
Chelsea (H) (D)

^^11pts is probably somewhere between current form and worst case scenario (6pts).