Author Topic: Chewer of Toffees, scourge of Barça, Peeler of Spuds, Arse kicker, Wolves slayer  (Read 664490 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Normal service resumed.
That goal that wasflagged offside was just as good and in and amongst a crowd of Milan players.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:36:36 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Should be the primary striker going into the season, regardless of how Sturridge plays before Arsenal.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
What a contrast between last year this time and now. The way he took that goal just tells you he's brimming with confidence.

So looking forward to seeing him in action.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Normal service resumed.
That goal that wasflagged offside was just as good and in and amongst a crowd of Milan players.

I still can't figure out why it was flagged offside. With the amount of Milan players around him, even if he had been offside, how could the official actually see that he was.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
I still can't figure out why it was flagged offside. With the amount of Milan players around him, even if he had been offside, how could the official actually see that he was.

Official didn't see Abate- it looked onside.

EDIT: Below. Couldn't get a better shot of this due to the framerate but you can see Firmino's played onside by the fullback as soon as Markovic touches it.
It's a pitful picture I know, but blame RAWK for the filesize...
Ball's in 'green'.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 12:56:51 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
The lads got everything needed to be a top striker. He's basically everything the club hoped Mario Balotelli would be for us.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
That #9 is going to be vacant pretty soon.

Hopefully has a stormer of a season then switches to it next summer.
Believe

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
Awesome potential this lad. Pace, power, skill. If he can bring that ruthlessness to his finishing then we could have a worldie. Jib Benteke and give him the 9 shirt  ;)

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
How much did we play for this lad? Whatever it was it was a bargain. He has all the attributes need to be a top striker. Pace, power, intelligence, great footwork and an eye for goal. Both of his goals last night were so impressive, even if the latter was wrongly ruled offside. He is so good at making a yard in the box to get a shot away and this is so important for a striker. It's exciting that he's maturing so quickly and he's only 21. He's a completely different player to he was 8 months ago even. Here's to his continued ascent. It will be an interesting battle between him and Sturridge this season for the first team.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How much did we play for this lad? Whatever it was it was a bargain. He has all the attributes need to be a top striker. Pace, power, intelligence, great footwork and an eye for goal. Both of his goals last night were so impressive, even if the latter was wrongly ruled offside. He is so good at making a yard in the box to get a shot away and this is so important for a striker. It's exciting that he's maturing so quickly and he's only 21. He's a completely different player to he was 8 months ago even. Here's to his continued ascent. It will be an interesting battle between him and Sturridge this season for the first team.

Only £10m.

Huge bargain potentially, especially when you see the likes of Batshuayi going for £35m. Origi is potentially a £60m forward if he can put all his attributes together consistantly. He already shown he has rip apart the best when he dominated Mats Hummels.

Seriously, we could have another Torres situation on our hands here in terms of the completeness of his game. Torres was fast, strong, skillful and deadly in front of goal. Divock just needs to show he has that composure in front of goal the way the likes of Torres and currently Sturridge has, and if he does that then we have an elite player.

Could be to Jurgen's Liverpool what Lewandowski was to Jurgen's Dortmund.
Believe

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
Official didn't see Abate- it looked onside.

EDIT: Below. Couldn't get a better shot of this due to the framerate but you can see Firmino's played onside by the fullback as soon as Markovic touches it.
It's a pitful picture I know, but blame RAWK for the filesize...
Ball's in 'green'.
'Optical Illusion' due to the brightness of out kit....

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
Am probably a bit too old to have favourite players now but this lad excites me.
Can be anything he wants I think. So much untapped potential still to flow.
We certainly have a lot of options in attack but I'm sure Divock will get plenty of games.
Hope he gets a lot of goals this year, without being snogged, with a hat trick at Everton in amongst them.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Bigger, better, faster, stronger.

Typifies what Klopp can do for a player in terms of development.  Origi hasn't just bulked up since the change of manager, he's so much more confident in his own ability and qualities now compared to when he first arrived at Liverpool.

He's the reason why I don't think we need to sign a new striker if/when Benteke goes.  He's ready to be a hugely important player for us now; now that he's added confidence to all of the raw attributes he already possessed, I think he's got the potential to be a top class striker for years to come.  I love watching him play, he was a bargain when we got him for the price we did and he's going to be an absolute star at the highest level.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
The lads got everything needed to be a top striker. He's basically everything the club hoped Mario Balotelli would be for us.
??? Unless by that you mean 'a good striker', I don't see many similarities personally. Agree with the first part though.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
??? Unless by that you mean 'a good striker', I don't see many similarities personally. Agree with the first part though.

As in the club obviously hoped Balotelli's pace and power and the finishing ability he showed at Inter and Man City would've caused opposition defences no end of problems like Origi does. We all know it didn't work out like that for us though. All we got was a thick, lazy, uninterested lump up top.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
Typifies what Klopp can do for a player in terms of development.  Origi hasn't just bulked up since the change of manager, he's so much more confident in his own ability and qualities now compared to when he first arrived at Liverpool.

Dead on. Mental
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
As in the club obviously hoped Balotelli's pace and power and the finishing ability he showed at Inter and Man City would've caused opposition defences no end of problems like Origi does. We all know it didn't work out like that for us though. All we got was a thick, lazy, uninterested lump up top.
Ah, I guess I never watched enough of him when he was actually decent. Didn't realise he ever had pace.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ah, I guess I never watched enough of him when he was actually decent. Didn't realise he ever had pace.

Inter's Balotelli had it all, it's hard to believe it's even the same player these days. What Mane can do for us, Balotelli used to do for them.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

He did. He wasn't lightening quick, but he certainly wasn't a slouch when he first burst onto the scene. Looked like he was going to go on and become one of the worlds best strikers at Inter Milan.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 03:12:09 pm by Solomon Grundy »

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
That #9 is going to be vacant pretty soon.

Hopefully has a stormer of a season then switches to it next summer.

Hope he stays 27 myself. Its my lucky/favourite number.

Origi has all the tools to be a top, top player. He has a bit of pace, he is strong, he has tricky feet, he can finish, he can head and he knows how to put in a shift.

Im one of Daniel Sturridge's biggest fans, but I wouldnt be disappointed if Origi started ahead of him. The lad has the potential to be world class.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
This kid is Liverpool's future front man. If he had Sturridge's audacity in front of goal he'd be well ahead of him. And that's the only area where I think he isn't already at a high level. Because his pace, trickery, strength and the ability to work others into the play through his hold-up play, and of course his work-rate, is already at a really high level. He grew as a man last season. Even though I suspect Sturridge will start the season up front, I wouldn't be surprised if again that Origi pulls ahead in the running. Maybe even more next season if we get into the CL and where his relatively higher work-rate will be even more important.

I also loved his recent interview where he said he had fallen in love with the club. You can tell he's a good egg and not just being a politician. I hope we resign him and extend his contract very soon. He's not going to be a prospect for too much longer as he's going to be a full-fledged star in this rising Klopp team.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 05:18:20 pm by Halcyon Lissome »
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline JustDan

• Legacy Fan
Inter's Balotelli had it all, it's hard to believe it's even the same player these days. What Mane can do for us, Balotelli used to do for them.
He did. He wasn't lightening quick, but he certainly wasn't a slouch when he first burst onto the scene. Looked like he was going to go on and become one of the worlds best strikers at Inter Milan.

Don't think I ever really watched him at Inter. Not going to look up clips either as I'm sure it would just depress me.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Great talent, but I'm worried that the expectations are becoming unreasonable. Torres and Sturridge were much more established when they joined us. Origi is still very young, and it's very probable that he'll lose form during the season. Maybe he won't score for months, and then the moaning from the fans will begin.

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Great talent, but I'm worried that the expectations are becoming unreasonable. Torres and Sturridge were much more established when they joined us. Origi is still very young, and it's very probable that he'll lose form during the season. Maybe he won't score for months, and then the moaning from the fans will begin.

He survived being rated as Ligue 1's worst striker of the season. I think he'll do fine.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The thing that impresses me so much about him is how mature he is off the the field for his age. It really struck me when I was listening to his post game interview from the Milan game. 21 years old and he was speaking about how much he needs to improve, how he needs to do this and that. And it was so well spoken too, and not just the usual 'at the end of the day its all about the team' shite players repeat over and over.

If you compare how he speaks to someone of a similar age, like Sterling dor example, it's so striking how calm, intelligent and well spoken he is. Even in his 2nd language he speaks so much more eloquently and thoughfully than someone like Sterling or other lads of his age.
Believe

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
The thing that impresses me so much about him is how mature he is off the the field for his age. It really struck me when I was listening to his post game interview from the Milan game. 21 years old and he was speaking about how much he needs to improve, how he needs to do this and that. And it was so well spoken too, and not just the usual 'at the end of the day its all about the team' shite players repeat over and over.

If you compare how he speaks to someone of a similar age, like Sterling dor example, it's so striking how calm, intelligent and well spoken he is. Even in his 2nd language he speaks so much more eloquently and thoughfully than someone like Sterling or other lads of his age.

Love that he comes across so humble and really happy for him he's doing so well

Come in for some really unfair criticism at times

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
Should be the primary striker going into the season, regardless of how Sturridge plays before Arsenal.

Sturridge who has scored 53 goals in 93 games for us? And "regardless of how he plays"?

What did Danny do for you to hate him that much?

Origi looked good last night. He needs to continue to grow, work hard, take his chances and then he can be in the conversation about starting ahead of a fit in form Sturridge.

I'm glad we have him, glad he is really developing and agree the sky is the limits, but let's calm down a bit please.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
He's gonna be Klopp's guy upfront for the next few years I reckon. Pace, Power, Technique, Attitude... he's got everything. Still raw, needs to be more clinical at times. If he can stay fit and start most games this season he'll be getting close to 20 goals for sure. Depending on his rate of development could be a 30 goal a season striker in a few years time. Still so young but got high hopes for this lad.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He survived being rated as Ligue 1's worst striker of the season. I think he'll do fine.

This is an important point. My fear with Origi, and to be honest expectation, when he returned from France was that his confidence would have been shattered for good. He was coming back to a club lacking confidence in itself and the manager. It wasn't the best scenario for developing confident young talents never mind young players lacking confidence. However he picked himself up under Klopp and kicked on - a testament to his mental strength. Many players would have shrinked within themselves.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Sturridge who has scored 53 goals in 93 games for us? And "regardless of how he plays"?

What did Danny do for you to hate him that much?

Origi looked good last night. He needs to continue to grow, work hard, take his chances and then he can be in the conversation about starting ahead of a fit in form Sturridge.

I'm glad we have him, glad he is really developing and agree the sky is the limits, but let's calm down a bit please.

It should definitely been down to how both of them play in the lead up but I think he fits Klopp's style much better and currently (last couple months of last season and yesterday) is looking a better player to me. If he starts the season he'll have earnt it on merit irrelevant of his age.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can quote me on this. I reckon he'll end up as good as what Henry was for Arsenal. Perhaps not similar numbers stat wise, but I do think he'll be easily our best striker. Yes, better than Sturridge.

Scenes! Here's hoping mate.  :D

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Started slow but once he got going he really got going. Hope he keeps it up, he's brilliant on FIFA too

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can quote me on this. I reckon he'll end up as good as what Henry was for Arsenal. Perhaps not similar numbers stat wise, but I do think he'll be easily our best striker. Yes, better than Sturridge.

That's a big statement. Can't seen it myself. Henry is the best player I've seen in the Premier League bar possibly Suarez.
Believe

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
as much as as i would like that, probably not happening. it's a tall order to say the least

Klopp has a bit of a problem on his hands here. Some might say it's one of those "good problems". We don't have that many games this season, relatively. So if both are fit, who gets the nod? Sturridge, one of the best strikers we've had in recent times, or Origi who is slowly becoming better and better but fits his system much more than Sturridge.Obviously there will be rotation, but it might be an issue if Klopp feels he doesn't need to rotate but might not want to give one of them too few minutes. And I don't see us playing with two up top theat much given our plethora of midfielders. Tricky situation to be honest
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
as much as as i would like that, probably not happening. it's a tall order to say the least

Klopp has a bit of a problem on his hands here. Some might say it's one of those "good problems". We don't have that many games this season, relatively. So if both are fit, who gets the nod? Sturridge, one of the best strikers we've had in recent times, or Origi who is slowly becoming better and better but fits his system much more than Sturridge.Obviously there will be rotation, but it might be an issue if Klopp feels he doesn't need to rotate but might not want to give one of them too few minutes. And I don't see us playing with two up top theat much given our plethora of midfielders. Tricky situation to be honest

Origi was starting ahead of Daniel last season before his injury. Problem with benching Sturridge would be that he knows how good he is. He could go most places and start, and if he spends a season behind Origi then next summer, when he'll be almost 28, you could see him wanting to leave. It's a difficult balancing act for Jurgen. Just a shame for Sturridge that the injuries have taken so much game time away from him because he was brilliant in 13/14.
Believe

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
He is very similar to Torres. Maybe not quite as quick as Torres was back in the day but it's a good comparison. It will all be about whether he can keep his confidence up.

Going by averages for strikers he is still 3/4 years away from peak numbers wise and as far as I can remember Torres was 23/24 when we got him so a fair bit further in his development?

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
It's great having a group of strikers than you genuinely believe can really contribute - I mean Ings didn't even play last night and he'll have his part to play in the coming season.

In Sturridge and Origi though I think we have two top strikers who can really push one another, and who are both capable of scoring a bucketload of goals.

Amazing the transformation in Origi over this past year, I remember in Klopp's first few games he looked clueless - had all the tools but didn't seem to know how to put it together but he's put in incredible hard work and now finds himself in a position where he's asking the question about a starting spot, which almost seems unthinkable given Sturridge's record at the top level. Only 21 years old as well, incredible.

Whilst he may not be as good a pure goalscorer as Danny (and to be honest, not many in world football are) the one thing I think sets him apart is his ability to absolutely torment defenders when he is on the pitch. I think back to the Dortmund game where Hummels and co just couldn't keep up with him, he dragged them all over the place that night and at times they looked like they didn't know which way was up. His pace, power and his (somewhat underrated) technical ability and trickery means he's a constant threat and keeps defenders honest, allowing our other players to come to the fore, which I think will be an even bigger threat this year given that we have goals in that midfield now. You can't argue with Sturridge's record but I'm not sure he offers that to the same extent - he plays and he'll score goals of that there is no doubt, but he doesn't make life difficult for defenders in the same way (or he hasn't done in quite a while), although I'm sure not everyone will agree. For me, that's why Origi will start ahead of Sturridge more often than some have predicted. But it's great to have different options for different types of games.

If we can keep them both fit though, and with Ings in the mix, a position that we've been weak in since Suarez left now suddenly looks like a positive selection headache and that bodes so well for the team.

Offline Halcyon Lissome

• Scallion Homeys, Miscellany Shoo or Nicholas Mosely?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • “We murdered them 0-0.”
It's great having a group of strikers than you genuinely believe can really contribute - I mean Ings didn't even play last night and he'll have his part to play in the coming season.

In Sturridge and Origi though I think we have two top strikers who can really push one another, and who are both capable of scoring a bucketload of goals.

Amazing the transformation in Origi over this past year, I remember in Klopp's first few games he looked clueless - had all the tools but didn't seem to know how to put it together but he's put in incredible hard work and now finds himself in a position where he's asking the question about a starting spot, which almost seems unthinkable given Sturridge's record at the top level. Only 21 years old as well, incredible.

Whilst he may not be as good a pure goalscorer as Danny (and to be honest, not many in world football are) the one thing I think sets him apart is his ability to absolutely torment defenders when he is on the pitch. I think back to the Dortmund game where Hummels and co just couldn't keep up with him, he dragged them all over the place that night and at times they looked like they didn't know which way was up. His pace, power and his (somewhat underrated) technical ability and trickery means he's a constant threat and keeps defenders honest, allowing our other players to come to the fore, which I think will be an even bigger threat this year given that we have goals in that midfield now. You can't argue with Sturridge's record but I'm not sure he offers that to the same extent - he plays and he'll score goals of that there is no doubt, but he doesn't make life difficult for defenders in the same way (or he hasn't done in quite a while), although I'm sure not everyone will agree. For me, that's why Origi will start ahead of Sturridge more often than some have predicted. But it's great to have different options for different types of games.

If we can keep them both fit though, and with Ings in the mix, a position that we've been weak in since Suarez left now suddenly looks like a positive selection headache and that bodes so well for the team.

This is spot on. At 20-21 he was giving a world cup winner and one of the best defenders in the world a shellacking. I mean, he made Hummels look amateur. Ever since he's been starting until now, when he gets on the pitch the lad makes a difference. He has even played out wide to accomodate Sturridge and still has a bigger general impact than him. I love them both and would like to find a way that both work but it's great for our depth in that position, regardless.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★
The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
This is spot on. At 20-21 he was giving a world cup winner and one of the best defenders in the world a shellacking. I mean, he made Hummels look amateur. Ever since he's been starting until now, when he gets on the pitch the lad makes a difference. He has even played out wide to accomodate Sturridge and still has a bigger general impact than him. I love them both and would like to find a way that both work but it's great for our depth in that position, regardless.

And he followed that up by making £50m John 'Beckenbauer' Stones his bitch.
Believe

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Whoever has a good game is going to be the starter. First was Ings now it is Origi.
We can't celebrate having good options and a strong bench.