Author Topic: The knife edge  (Read 10607 times)

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The knife edge
« on: January 1, 2011, 11:48:41 pm »
I've been wondering lately why Nesv have failed to act, and I'm starting to see their position.  The club as a whole stands on the very precipice..if we get into a relegation battle we might very well lose it, but which way do we turn?

As I see it there are only 2 options right now:

Hodgson / Dalglish

It's clear to me now that Roy is done, but it also seems clear that Nesv very much desire to have an empty manager seat come summer when the likes of Villas Boas and others could move.

If Nesv stick with Hodgson, there is a chance we could be relegated.  However, Hodgson has been through relegation battles before and his slightly improved home performances could get us stuttering to safety.

If Nesv hires Kenny, there is still a chance of relegation..it could go spectacularly wrong and while his name alone can galvanise players and fans alike, even we must acknowledge the risk of failure.  If kenny fails, we will be relegated and we will tarnish the reputation of a club legend.

But what if he succeeds?  Not a cup, or a complete turn-around, but just enough..what if he pulls us from the brink and wants to keep the job?  Nesv's grand plans become very difficult to put into action, and even if Kenny stepped aside whoever they bring in would inevitably be compared with him.

I don't envy Nesv.  There is no perfect decision.  Each way could lead to disaster.  The important thing is we the fans need to know which way they're jumping, because standing still is no longer an option.

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
Re: The knife edge
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2011, 11:50:28 pm »
We're not going to get relegated either way. We've literally performed as bad as we possibly could and we're in 9th.
ynwa

Offline scottishRED

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2011, 11:52:46 pm »
The fact they leaked he will be replaced means hodgson will be sacked v soon.  His authority is shot to pieces now.

Offline niallers

• Anny Roader
  • "dont worry marge,its only a quilt....MY COOKIE!"
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2011, 11:53:18 pm »
This is why i think they'll try give him as much time as possible to move up the table and secure our league status then get rid. Then as said appoint a new guy with a clean slate.
in america 1st you get the sugar then you get the power then you get the women

Offline Raoul Duke

• Is Boris Johnson.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2011, 11:54:29 pm »
Nah, not a chance of relegation mate.

Are we really worse than Wigan, West Ham, Wolves, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham or Everton?
Fool, if it wasn't for Sergei here, both you and your cousin be cadaverous mo'fuckers.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #5 on: January 1, 2011, 11:57:15 pm »
I think we'll get our answer over next few days to see whether they give him money to spend.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Superthing

• "power crazed, trigger happy, imbecile with no sense of reasoning..." who can he mean?...
  • Kopite
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2011, 11:57:54 pm »
We're not going to get relegated either way. We've literally performed as bad as we possibly could and we're in 9th.
Really? What happens if Pepe, Lucas, Gerrard and Maxi all get injured over the next couple of weeks? Add that to Raul going off injured today and the fact that Agger and Aurelio are almost certain to pick up more injuries between now and the end of the season leaving us with a depleted squad and, more worryingly, a bigger chance of Poulsen and PFK starting more matches and I think there is a very real possibility that we can perform alot worse than we already have! With Roy in charge relegation is a serious threat.

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 1, 2011, 11:59:42 pm »
Loo
I've been wondering lately why Nesv have failed to act, and I'm starting to see their position.  The club as a whole stands on the very precipice..if we get into a relegation battle we might very well lose it, but which way do we turn?

Hodgson / Dalglish

It's clear to me now that Roy is done, but it also seems clear that Nesv very much desire to have an empty manager seat come summer when the likes of Villas Boas and others could move.

If Nesv stick with Hodgson, there is a chance we could be relegated.  However, Hodgson has been through relegation battles before and his slightly improved home performances could get us stuttering to safety.

If Nesv hires Kenny, there is still a chance of relegation..it could go spectacularly wrong and while his name alone can galvanise players and fans alike, even we must acknowledge the risk of failure.  If kenny fails, we will be relegated and we will tarnish the reputation of a club legend.

But what if he succeeds?  Not a cup, or a complete turn-around, but just enough..what if he pulls us from the brink and wants to keep the job?  Nesv's grand plans become very difficult to put into action, and even if Kenny stepped aside whoever they bring in would inevitably be compared with him.

I don't envy Nesv.  There is no perfect decision.  Each way could lead to disaster.  The important thing is we the fans need to know which way they're jumping, because standing still is no longer an option.

Hodgson / Dalglish

If we get Kenny or Rafa in now then we might have half a chance of a top 6/7 finish so I'd make the change now.
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2011, 12:02:20 am »

This is very presumptuous and dangerous. We could get relegated if we continue like the way we have. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security mate.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline SpionBob

• I have a signed Kenny Dalglish shirt on my wall-is that a bit gay?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • WITH JURGEN kLOPP WE WON IT 6 TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2011, 12:03:12 am »
Loo
If we get Kenny or Rafa in now then we might have half a chance of a top 6/7 finish so I'd make the change now.

Why am I being watched/stalked? Is freedom of speech banned on this forum?
Public enemy number one: On the RAWK watch list for offering alternative views, supporting Rafa and abusing ill informed WUMS with dubious agendas. Where's the crime in that? Victim of self-important mod with itchy finger.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2011, 12:03:22 am »
This is why i think they'll try give him as much time as possible to move up the table and secure our league status then get rid. Then as said appoint a new guy with a clean slate.

Why? He's proven to not be able to do it while at the same time makes things worse every time he opens his mouth. If what the op said about both Kenny and Hodgson are in someway true, then better give the job to Kenny. He gets Liverpool, and he'll make players fight. Heck, we will have an outside chance to go playing at theater of sandwiches with a more spirited players and manager
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 2, 2011, 12:03:56 am »

I wanted Dalglish in the summer, but have been talking about this "does quite well" scenario for a while; it does give FSG a problem and possibly delay the implementation of a successful, long term strategy.

But I've come to the conclusion... fuck it. It's Dalglish. It could be the greatest comeback ever. It might also give us the opportunity, if it works, to find our own Guardiola, Boas, Klopp, or Garrido the right way: from within. Not necessarily a current player, but a coach, an unknown, whatever.

Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #12 on: January 2, 2011, 12:06:11 am »

Are we really worse than Wigan, West Ham, Wolves, Fulham, Blackburn, Birmingham or Everton?

We are not, but our positions in the table yesterday showed that we could be...Let's hope that Meirelles is not seriously injured, as good as Gerrard played last night, he should not spend more time there as he should have. And with the right manager, yes, we could get back to Europe next time
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline Roy of the rovers

• TORY Supporter - proof being he voted for Blair...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 2, 2011, 12:08:52 am »
Agreed

FSG/NESV are in the shittest position possible

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #14 on: January 2, 2011, 12:30:09 am »
Agreed

So basically NESV are replacing Roy come whatever and don't want their longterm strategy derailed by appointing an interim manager who could prove successful and make it hard/impossible to sack him.

We'll see if this is true shortly , as it would be madness to less Roy spend any money now. So any buys should be our DOF'S.

I can't believe Rafa's not even being considered :(
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #15 on: January 2, 2011, 12:37:40 am »
Even with our poor results we are not that far off 4th or 5th. Yes it will require a good run but it's not out of the question.
Relegation is not going to happen.
#JFT97

Offline Bouncer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "It's not my ego, it's my responsibility" Benitez
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2011, 12:57:28 am »
So basically NESV are replacing Roy come whatever and don't want their longterm strategy derailed by appointing an interim manager who could prove successful and make it hard/impossible to sack him.

We'll see if this is true shortly , as it would be madness to less Roy spend any money now. So any buys should be our DOF'S.

You're not the only one mate :(
Gatusso says that Liverpool play too many long balls?

I don’t think he watches many Liverpool games, the same way I don’t watch many Milan games. (Rafa)

Offline Cooper-Man

• Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: January 2, 2011, 01:14:14 am »
Relegation MY ARSE. We could still be challenging a top 4 finish. We have two games in hand and both are to teams WE SHOULD put away. We win those two and we are on 31. We still have to play all those teams in the top 4 again and they all need to play each other. We need a caretaker to rally the troops and put a decent game plan together and I AM SURE results will go our way. This is such an open comp this season and if we get a good caretaker that can motivate the lads and show them whats possible then we WILL MAKE THE TOP FOUR.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #18 on: January 2, 2011, 01:17:11 am »
You're not the only one mate :(

To me Rafa really felt like a modern day Shankly. To paraphrase he was made for Liverpool and Liverpool was made for him.

It seems that alll our years of success has allowed many poor minded people the opportunity to hold the club back. Maybe this began with Moores, who knows. One thing is for sure these poor minded people robbed Rafa of the chance to progress when he got us to second. Then they robbed the club of a highly capable manager (who won things and was passionate about the club). Replaced him with a never was. I can't help but feel there is unfinished business here for Rafa. Imagine if the club had stopped Shankly or Paisley managing just to appease some old timers (players).  Unfinished business I tell you.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline StanBull

• Main Stander
  • I love the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #19 on: January 2, 2011, 01:20:33 am »

You can't possibly know that he isn't though do you?

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 2, 2011, 01:20:57 am »

I am sure that he will be considered for the role as FSG seem the types to look at every avenue and scenario before making a decision. If he fits their criteria he will be in with a shout.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 2, 2011, 01:24:27 am »
This is very presumptuous and dangerous. We could get relegated if we continue like the way we have. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security mate.
Well we're not are we despite the intended scaremongering to rouse impetus against the manager.
We won't get relegated.
RH will not see more than 1 transfer window despite the scary scenario he talked of, when he mentioned 3 or 4 windows in a NYE interview.
Its likely he won't see next weekend.

Any more questions?

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #22 on: January 2, 2011, 01:25:39 am »
I am sure that he will be considered for the role as FSG seem the types to look at every avenue and scenario before making a decision. If he fits their criteria he will be in with a shout.
I'm sure Rafa has worked with a DOF before. Wasn't that the case at Valencia? Besides focussing soley on football would be good for Rafa and hence the club.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #23 on: January 2, 2011, 01:26:24 am »
I wanted Dalglish in the summer, but have been talking about this "does quite well" scenario for a while; it does give FSG a problem and possibly delay the implementation of a successful, long term strategy.

If that is a "problem"  it certainly is a good problem to have compared to the current situation. 
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #24 on: January 2, 2011, 01:28:33 am »

I imagine the Geordies said the same thing
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline minusone

• considered rubbish
  • Legacy Fan
  • Resurrection 2.0
« Reply #25 on: January 2, 2011, 01:37:42 am »
I'm wary of knife edges.
Cut my thumb on one once.

Nasty that was.
Fired?? He should be shot! With shit, human shit!

Offline rafa4eva

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: January 2, 2011, 01:38:25 am »
To me Rafa really felt like a modern day Shankly. To paraphrase he was made for Liverpool and Liverpool was made for him.

It seems that alll our years of success has allowed many poor minded people the opportunity to hold the club back. Maybe this began with Moores, who knows. One thing is for sure these poor minded people robbed Rafa of the chance to progress when he got us to second. Then they robbed the club of a highly capable manager (who won things and was passionate about the club). Replaced him with a never was. I can't help but feel there is unfinished business here for Rafa. Imagine if the club had stopped Shankly or Paisley managing just to appease some old timers (players).  Unfinished business I tell you.

I salute your sir, im inebriated but that hit the spot.....

Offline Scousebeef

• Kopite
  • BELIEVER!
« Reply #27 on: January 2, 2011, 01:44:51 am »

he's 63 mate!!
"you have to change from being a doubter to a believer"
-Jurgén Klopp-

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 2, 2011, 01:55:53 am »
I'm sure Rafa has worked with a DOF before. Wasn't that the case at Valencia? Besides focussing soley on football would be good for Rafa and hence the club.

He did and I think the key with a good DOF is someone who can work with the manager to identify targets and then, most importantly, make the deals happen. This is where a DOF has an advantage over a CEO, he spends his time bulding relationships in the football world that means we can move fast when a target is identified (unlike Parry for example). Comolli seems to be this type of guy.
It all depends on how much input each individual has on player choice as to whether this relationship can work and we are lead to believe that Rafa is a bit of a control freak to say the least.

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #29 on: January 2, 2011, 01:59:32 am »
he who dares wodney
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 2, 2011, 02:42:15 am »
Agreed

Abramovich affected by the economic crisis will sell Chelsea or his yacht

http://www.bumeral.net/blog/abramovich-affected-by-the-economic-crisis-will-sell-chelsea-or-his-yacht/

I think you should reconsider your statement

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #31 on: January 2, 2011, 03:20:48 am »
Abramovich affected by the economic crisis will sell Chelsea or his yacht

http://www.bumeral.net/blog/abramovich-affected-by-the-economic-crisis-will-sell-chelsea-or-his-yacht/

I think you should reconsider your statement
Err that article is 2 years old though
ynwa

Offline LSURED20

• Anny Roader
  • Founding member of the John Henry fan club
« Reply #32 on: January 2, 2011, 04:44:33 am »

so you think they went and hired a director of football, just to bring back a notoriously stubborn manager who hates not having total control? If that's the type of thinking they show, then we'll be in the same mismanaged boat as we were with H/G.

Said that, I'd bet every cent I have on his name not being seriously considered for more than a tenth of a second.

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 2, 2011, 04:51:39 am »
Err that article is 2 years old though

Just kidding around mate

Offline martyrich1

• Boys Pen
« Reply #34 on: January 2, 2011, 05:14:27 am »
The fact they leaked he will be replaced means hodgson will be sacked v soon.  His authority is shot to pieces now.

Where was it leaked that NESV are going to replace Hodgson?  I've seen a lot of speculation in the news but no firm statements.   I mean I hope it is true but.........

Offline davidoffa

• Main Stander
  • Boosh!
« Reply #35 on: January 2, 2011, 09:56:20 am »
Relegation MY ARSE. We could still be challenging a top 4 finish. We have two games in hand and both are to teams WE SHOULD put away. We win those two and we are on 31. We still have to play all those teams in the top 4 again and they all need to play each other. We need a caretaker to rally the troops and put a decent game plan together and I AM SURE results will go our way. This is such an open comp this season and if we get a good caretaker that can motivate the lads and show them whats possible then we WILL MAKE THE TOP FOUR.

Very optimistic but I like it. Only stumbling block is that I cant see Roy being capable of dressing himself let alone stringing a winning run together. 5straight wins, or even 5wins vs teams outside the top 5/6 would have us right back in there but Roy isn't capable.

As for relegation- it wont happen, I know people have said that before with leeds, newcastle etc but it is true for us. A chat with a very bitter blue yesterday- he thinks we could be relegated but not Everton, how'd he work that out!?

Offline TheBombardier

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #36 on: January 2, 2011, 12:03:39 pm »
Good points but it is not just the fear of relegation, which is unlikely (though not impossible) even under Hodgson. The real fear is of missing out on a Champions League place for a second successive year and possibly even missing out on a EUROPA League place. How do you attract top class players to the club to move it forward (let alone keep the ones we have got) without the prospect of European football? Players like Reina and Torres came to Liverpool to challange for the very highest honours in world football convinced that we were being guided by one of the great proven tactical masters in the game. Under Hodgson we face the very real prospect of a season out of Europe and an exodus of our best players without being able to offer anything to attract world class replacements. In short a rapid spiralling decline which, history will conclude, was caused by the nightmare reign of Hicks and Gillett (in particular their failure to make any real investment during their last two years) and hastened by their last catastrophic decision to appoint the inept, tragic Hodgson.

The owners had hoped to be able to limp on with Hodgson to the end of the season and that he would somehow turn things around once he settled into the job and snatch a top four place against all the odds. If he failed then they could at least point to the fact that he was not their appointment and as long as we obtained a EUROPA place at least it might not be catastrophic. As stated above, it is looking increasingly likely that Hodgson is not the man to turn things around and the owners, whilst not wanting to panic, don't want to be seen to be dithering and they know that the fans will want them to act decisively when it looks obvious that Hodgson is the wrong appointment. The opening of the January transfer window is adding greater pressure to the owners. Do they back Hodgson in the transfer market and can they trust him? Or, do they offload him and appoint someone else now rather than later (even if only on an interim basis)? Do they stick or twist?

To this extent the club is indeed on a knife edge. If they decide to "twist" then who do they appoint half way through a season? Who is available and can they turn things around? There are two obvious options:

(1) Appoint Kenny Dalglish, probably on an interim basis until the end of the season and hope that he can inspire the club to a European place. The advantage is obviously cost as he is already at the club and his commitment and desire is not in doubt. Neither is his love for the club, its fans and the city and the fact that he would be a popular choice and would provide real unity. The problem is his lack of recent experience, the prospect that he could tarnish his reputation (although this matters more to the fans than to the owners) and if he is successful how do they replace him if they choose to do so in the summer?

(2) Appoint Rafa Benitez, again possibly on a short term basis (would Rafa accept this?) on the basis that it was never their decision to sack Rafa and they wouldn't have done so had they taken over the club a few months earlier. Rafa had had one relatively poor season but under extreme circumstances (cancerous owners) and you should never sack a manager on the basis of one poor season. Let us not forget that Mr Alex Ferguson finished 11th twice and 13th in his first six years and Rafa's worst finish (7th albeit with more points than when finishing 5th in 2004/05) looks great compared to what we might be on course for under Hodgson. Furthermore, Rafa is available, loves the club, the fans and the city and his family are settled here. With the cancerous owners gone and new owners prepared to back his vision Rafa would be a rejuvenated reinvigorated manager. Another advantage would be continuity (he's only been gone 6 months) and it is not too late to halt the dismantling of his legacy. Rafa's CV is as good as any manager's in Europe. He was just a couple of world class signings away from building the team that would have realised his vision and our hopes. How would we have fared if he had been successful in his attempts to sign players like Alves and Simao?

If the owners appoint anyone else then there is always the chance that they (or their family) will not settle, their methods may not prove successful in the Premiership and surely they can never hope to touch Benitez in terms of his proven European record of two finals, three semi-finals and four quarter-finals. Even in the League, will they ever improve upon Rafa's 2008/09 tally of 86 points (75.44% of the total points available and the second highest % ever in the clubs history)? Will players like Torres and Reina fit into their vision? Will they want to completely rebuild the team? If so that would be costly. The team as it is and the youth and back-room set up is still largely Rafa's and wouldn't require a major overhaul if Rafa was re-appointed. That couldn't be guaranteed under a new manager and how long would we fans give them to get things right if they wanted to start afresh?

In my view the best option is to bring Rafa back, maybe give Kenny a more prominent role, give them the backing to fulfil Rafa's vision and accept that he should never have been ousted in the first place and the decision to do so was the last poisonous vindictive act of the cancerous Hicks and Gillett.

If they appoint someone else then is it because they fear Rafa's (and Kenny's) power and influence within the club becoming too great? Do they want a more complient manager who tows their line? If so, is that what we fans want? Shouldn't the owners leave the football side to the manager?
Walk On
The Bombardier

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #37 on: January 2, 2011, 12:10:07 pm »
I don't think that FSG know what to do. They certainly don't have the experience to make a decision.

Although I do not want Kenny in the dug out ( I want him in the Board Room) it is the obvious fudge for FSG.I do not accept that a high quality appointment could not be made now -sadly FSG are not tooled up to take that decision.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #38 on: January 2, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »
Bang on. If they take some time, let them, the appointment should be spot on.

Justice for the 96

Offline urshurak

• Boys Pen
« Reply #39 on: January 2, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
(2) Appoint Rafa Benitez, again possibly on a short term basis (would Rafa accept this?) on the basis that it was never their decision to sack Rafa and they wouldn't have done so had they taken over the club a few months earlier. Rafa had had one relatively poor season but under extreme circumstances (cancerous owners) and you should never sack a manager on the basis of one poor season. Let us not forget that Mr Alex Ferguson finished 11th twice and 13th in his first six years and Rafa's worst finish (7th albeit with more points than when finishing 5th in 2004/05) looks great compared to what we might be on course for under Hodgson. Furthermore, Rafa is available, loves the club, the fans and the city and his family are settled here. With the cancerous owners gone and new owners prepared to back his vision Rafa would be a rejuvenated reinvigorated manager. Another advantage would be continuity (he's only been gone 6 months) and it is not too late to halt the dismantling of his legacy. Rafa's CV is as good as any manager's in Europe. He was just a couple of world class signings away from building the team that would have realised his vision and our hopes. How would we have fared if he had been successful in his attempts to sign players like Alves and Simao?

If the owners appoint anyone else then there is always the chance that they (or their family) will not settle, their methods may not prove successful in the Premiership and surely they can never hope to touch Benitez in terms of his proven European record of two finals, three semi-finals and four quarter-finals. Even in the League, will they ever improve upon Rafa's 2008/09 tally of 86 points (75.44% of the total points available and the second highest % ever in the clubs history)? Will players like Torres and Reina fit into their vision? Will they want to completely rebuild the team? If so that would be costly. The team as it is and the youth and back-room set up is still largely Rafa's and wouldn't require a major overhaul if Rafa was re-appointed. That couldn't be guaranteed under a new manager and how long would we fans give them to get things right if they wanted to start afresh?

In my view the best option is to bring Rafa back, maybe give Kenny a more prominent role, give them the backing to fulfil Rafa's vision and accept that he should never have been ousted in the first place and the decision to do so was the last poisonous vindictive act of the cancerous Hicks and Gillett.

I like your reasoning !

One further point is this: Rafa walked away from LFC with a load of cash, and Hodgson will do the same.
Rafa's presumably also had a decent pay-off from Inter. He probably doesn't ever have to work again, in terms of financial resources.

I wonder how NESV/FSV would take it if Rafa returned his LFC pay-off in exchange for a 2 year (to start with anyway) deal ...
In essence, Rafa gets his money back if he does well and stays the course (which I'd expect), and the owners get shot of Hodgson at, effectively, no cost.

« Last Edit: January 2, 2011, 12:21:54 pm by urshurak »