Author Topic: "Kaiser" Chief  (Read 13852 times)

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: "Kaiser" Chief.
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2006, 11:36:02 am »
Nice one Roper.  I enjoyed reading that.  Thanks.  :)

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
Re: "Kaiser" Chief.
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2006, 11:43:45 am »
Good read, thanks.
R.T.K

Offline JRC

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: "Kaiser" Chief
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2006, 01:02:11 pm »
In the backs-to-the-wall UEFA Tie against Roma, Didi gave one of the finest individual performances I can remember, but all 'unsung' dirty work, tackling like a demon, covering miles - and yet was one of the few players not out on his feet in Extra Time at Cardiff a few days later against Brum (he even hit the post in ET).

I think his ability further up the pitch was often underestimated - he has fast feet and excellent close control. On too few occasions did Ged allow him to express himself that way (eg the Newcastle United game that was delayed by Floodlight failure when he - and the team - was fantastic) but when we were at our most schlerotic under Ged, I agree that Didi in the holding role seemed emblematic of our failings - but he was a pro doing what was asked of him.

Definitely agree that we should look to keep him on the coaching staff if poss.
Why not call up Robin Hood and ask him for some wealth distribution?

Offline Dearg

• Main Stander
  • Beer Monster
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2006, 01:06:15 pm »
You could see the influence he had on Momo Saturday, he was not looking to pass the killer ball every time, just easy passes and keep possesion, and when it is open give the killer ball, don't take unnecessary chances with your passing, this is Didi at his best and the reason  Rafa gave him a new contract. His influence on the young mid-field must be massive. I know he is settled in Liverpool and has many friends here, would it be too much to give him a coaching job when he retires or will he go back to Germany?

Think his influence and ability to fit seamlessly into the rotation system Benitez wants to implement are probably the greatest asset to the team - one which could be well used in a coaching role. If he manages to stretch his career here by another 2/3 years I think such a situation would be a given.

My MOTM on Saturday. Some brilliant intercepts, astute passes and solid tackling. And as has been said good influence on the younger players such as Sissoko (who also had a very good game). Inspires confidence.

Legend.
“If you play in the final, it's for winning, not for losing”

Offline Em5y

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2006, 01:30:24 pm »
Cheers for that Roper.

An amazing player - and certainly played a huge part in the win on Saturday - as well as many other famous victories.  Unspectacular but hard working, and willing to give his all for the cause of the team.  Absolutely magnificent.

Offline Murpheus

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2006, 01:48:31 pm »
Der Der Der, Der Der, Der Der Der Kaiser.

Long may he reign.
I am he
as you are he
as you are me
and we are all
together....

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2006, 02:02:08 pm »
Saw him once play City away and he was crap. The only time I've said that.

Offline The Cappuccino Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • Aren't we free?
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2006, 02:04:19 pm »
Hamann has been immense for us over the years and is arguably our best signing over the last 10 years. He does his job so well and very rarely seems flustered. His performance in Istanbul was exceptional and I hope he gets another year for two main reasons, one being nobody can do the job he does as well as him and two to further help develop his heir, Momo Sissoko.

Heil Kaizer!
Formerly Mr Brightside.

Offline Sajets

• Red from Estonia
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2006, 02:05:35 pm »
I honestly admit that i was one of those who said that if we wanted more attacking football, then we have to get rid of him because with him in the squad we have almost like 5 CB and not enough flair in attack. But have to admit it was more down to averall gameplan under GH that made us play so deep and not Didi himself. We're spoiled for having such a chice in CM position. Not a lot of teams in the world can boast 3 world-class midfielders plus one who has every chance of being 4th.

I really hope we will keep him and offer another year plus optional one more.

Offline DonJohnson

• Main Stander
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2006, 02:18:12 pm »
Is correct and there will be stats somewhere to back that up aswell

Ahem.... Bayer Leverkusen... Ahem!!!

Offline Zverko

• Kopite
  • keep it simple stupid
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2006, 03:59:18 pm »
Great read that and thanks.  Didi is a true legend and as Carra said, his scouse is excellent :)
The King: "The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here"

Offline owensy76

• A pain in the arse
  • Kopite
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2006, 05:03:02 pm »
i love this fella, from his facial twitch to his mad accent, was made up when he knocked bolton back at the end of last season, as gerrard said even if he isn't starting every game, a player with his experience can be very influential around the place for the younger lads to learn good habits from. he was immense on saturday and will go down as a legend for his contribution in the 2nd half in istanbul... am loving that hitler tache' anecdote an all !!"
well in kaiser

Offline Johnner

• Anny Roader
  • Gary McAllister we will never forget you!
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2006, 05:48:27 pm »
He is the man for the big occassion, you just know that he is not going to let you down and thats more than you could say for a lot of the lads on the team.  Thats not being unfair to the rest of them, sometimes they just dont play well or freeze on the night.  You always know what you're going to get from Didi, I think he is worth his weight in gold.

Offline stevie_block 202

• Kemlynite
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2006, 06:13:31 pm »
He has never been one of the better footballers at the club but I have always reckoned he is one of the most effective.  He does a job and he does it well.  That season when Houllier was in charge  - well I think we were unbeaten up until November, top of the league then Hamann got injured.  Didn't it go pear shaped after that.

My momorys a bit patchy but I'm  sure the following season, we had a bad month again which co-incided with him being injured again.  Plus taking him off away in Leverkusen had to be the worst mistake Houllier ever made. 

Cracking player in terms of prefessionalism, experience and effectiveness who has been worth every penny of the signing on fee and wages.

Offline batesie-56-

• Main Stander
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:26 pm »
I have often said on this sight what a quality player Didi is, i used to have a mate who would constantly moan saying how poor Didi was so i said right next home game i will nudge you everytime Didi breaks up the oppo play etc after 25 mins he was sick of it and yelled "Fcuk sake i get it" and has never moaned since.

Best thing about Didi is how un german he is in celebrating he runs around like a loony with the best of em, i mean Dudek saves Shevchenko penalty and who do we see skipping his way over to celebrate (apart from carra) yep its our Didi also when Mellor scored that bullett against Arsenal keep an eye out for Dido bundling everyone. HAIL THE KAIZER :)

Also my own little tribute to Didi - to the tune of Lady Madonna

Didi Hamann
Whole world at your feet
The best German Midfielder you'll ever see
Didi Hamann the best and thats for sure
he plays for LIVERPOOL who can ask for more

On Saturdays we get that winning feeling
Super Sundays he just tackles for fun
Didi in the team we really take some beating
Seeeeeeee how slow he runnnnnsssss....

I thank you

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2006, 07:04:47 pm »
batesie? Fuckin ell lad, could that be you?

Been a while fella.

Rallying call anytime soon?

Offline Buster 'Hook Hand' Bluth

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm a monster!
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2006, 09:41:09 pm »
Well, typical when a player gets praise, Hamann was woeful when he came on tonight, miscontrolling on the edge of the area and then giving away they free-kick we scored from. He deservedly got praise for his last two starts, but he was slow, sluggish and sloppy tonight.
Who is this man, where is he from?
Defenders ask "Where has he gone?"
He fools them all, there is no doubt
This is the man this song's about,
And like the Kop, you'll hear me shout
"Give it to Heighway."

Offline batesie-56-

• Main Stander
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:57 pm »
batesie? Fuckin ell lad, could that be you?

Been a while fella.

Rallying call anytime soon?

Dunno we keep defending set pieces like that la and i just might have to produce :)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2006, 10:27:20 pm »
He didn't have a great game when he came on tonight but Didi Hamann's been an excellent servant to LFC over the last 7 years and up there with Sami Hyypia as GH's best signing. He still has plenty to offer us and was our MOTM against Wigan and Man Utd.

Offline ceredigionred

• Boys Pen
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2006, 05:06:56 pm »
We have him for another year due to contract kicking in the 22 game clause,he play's he stay's yesss
To be immortal,first you must live the life

Offline dalehunter

• Main Stander
  • Los Reyes De Europa y Inglaterra
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2006, 10:05:29 pm »
That's a spot on article mate.

Hamann is an essential part of the squad, and you can never envisage him complaining to Rafa whenever he's left on the bench (unlike Cisse ;)).  Then once he is called upon, he gives 100%. His apparent humour around the dressing room must do wonders for the lads, as you would never expect it from a foreign bloke, and I reckon that it will have helped a few of the foreign lads settle in a lot quicker.
I was a little surprised when I heard the rumours in pre-season about Rafa letting him go on a free, especially after his fantastic second half appearance against Milan, which I reckon wasn't the only reason Rafa had for keeping Didi on board.  Cool, calm and collected, I have a lot of respect for the German bloke, and I cannot wait to see in the next few seasons when the legend has departed, what kind of influence he has had on young Momo Sissoko.

Keep up the good work Didi and thank you for the fantastic service you have given us thus far!
Justice for the 96

77  78   81   84   05

5 european cups, and 18 leagues!
    that's what we call history!!

Offline irishkopite77

• Kopite
  • Stradbally, Laois, "The Little Town"
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 01:54:55 pm »
didi is a true legend in my eyes, even before istanbul last year he has been a major influence at LFC, i could not believe he wasnt starting against milan, tehn half time came and there he was, our messiah standing on the sideline waiting to come on and lead us to victory! kaka totally disappeared for the rest of the game. anyway we all know what happened and we also know how important "THE KAISER" is at LFC. All i can say is thank you GH for signing him and thank you RAFA for that halftime change! Heres to you didi, a true LFC LEGEND... Good call for a coaching role!! Could only improve the whole set up there... Long may he stay at LFC...
Oh Sami Sami, Sami Sami Sami Sami Hyypia!!

Offline Botswana Red

• Kopite
  • Title Chasin'
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2006, 02:30:35 pm »
"Kaizer Chiefs" is the name of South Africa's top club, spelt with a z because the guy who founded the club is called Kaizer Motaung, with a z.

The Leeds band took up the name after they'd heard that before Lucas Radebe moved to Leeds United he'd been playing for Kaizer Chiefs.  But the band decided to use the original German spelling for Kaiser.
Sign megastars...