Author Topic: Digital Camera: Which one?  (Read 57173 times)

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
Digital Camera: Which one?
« on: August 30, 2005, 04:50:29 pm »

Any queries about Mobile Phones, MP3/DVD Players, Camera's, Hi-Fi, TV, Tech stuff etc, in here.

If you've got a problem with something, give the model number etc and any other relevant info.

And do have a look on Google first...

:wave

« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 04:12:48 pm by Barney_Яubble »
87:13

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
Re: Digital Camera: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2005, 12:59:10 pm »
I have just bought one, engraved with...

Champions of Europe
     25/05/05

...engraved on the back. ;)

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/

:wave

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #2 on: September 8, 2005, 01:48:37 pm »
sure it will fit. its small as fuck ;D
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #3 on: September 8, 2005, 02:27:36 pm »
Bolx!

I bought an Ipod shuffle a couple of months ago... wish I had waited and got this one! It's SO much better!

Aye, the shuffle is a really poor product compared to some out now...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 8, 2005, 02:48:51 pm »
Can't wait for it to arrive, only 5 working days. Should have it in time for Mancs. :D :wave

Offline Admiral Ackbar

• Anny Roader
  • 's Cum Face
« Reply #5 on: September 8, 2005, 03:36:03 pm »
I got my iPod 20gb with my name engraved on the back. Flippin' sweet.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 8, 2005, 04:41:26 pm »
I'd have that thing lost within the week.

Offline Xabi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 8, 2005, 05:01:20 pm »
They're great them.
R.T.K

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • Round the fields of Anfield Road
« Reply #8 on: September 8, 2005, 05:12:08 pm »
That ipod's boss. Anybody else had any problems with there ipods though I did with my mini and am still wait for it bak of apple been waiting for about a month now  :no
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 8, 2005, 05:20:00 pm »
That ipod's boss. Anybody else had any problems with there ipods though I did with my mini and am still wait for it bak of apple been waiting for about a month now  :no
My mate got a 4GB at christmas, dropped it off a chair onto his carpet on boxing day. wouldnt switch on since that day. sent it off to apple and got his money back, around 170.. then went out and bought a 6GB for 140. Thats a Deal that

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 8, 2005, 05:24:59 pm »
I asked for a refund after waiting so long and they gave some stupod excuse and told me id have it bak the 12th but i doubt il get it  :no

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 8, 2005, 05:47:21 pm »
Have you tried calling them since?  Pester them, they will soon get pissed off with you enough for bugging them, they'll get the thing fixed quick!  ;D

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 8, 2005, 05:52:32 pm »
the shuffle looks like such a piece of shit now.
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline wadey-LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 8, 2005, 05:58:20 pm »
I avnt stop ringing them they arnt half annoyin they dont care they just stick ya on hold for ages :tosser

Offline Lfcgirl

• Anny Roader
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers!
« Reply #14 on: September 8, 2005, 06:00:32 pm »
Looks good, I have an iPod Mini at the moment might buy a Nano in the future.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: September 8, 2005, 06:01:19 pm »
Looks good, I have an iPod Mini at the moment might buy a Nano in the future.

Sell yours on eBay to make a couple of quid back ;D

Offline Ben_

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 8, 2005, 06:55:46 pm »
Looks awesome that! I think the iPod mini will be sold for that little beauty.
The match kicks off in 30 minutes ya silly twat

"This European Cup final is won, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 0."

"This scoreline is absolutely staggering, AC Milan 3, Liverpool 3!" - Five Live

Offline andrix999

• Tool
  • Main Stander
  • You'll Never Walk Alone!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 8, 2005, 09:21:52 pm »
Saw these things today...I'll have to get one, plus they're not much more than a decent mobile anyway, without the Mp3 player in...only thing is I'm slightly wary of I-Pods cause it's generally the case with big brands that they end up selling things just cause the name is on it and if you look hard you can generally find somthing as good or better for a lower price. It's an I-Pod, therefore, they can charge more cause people will buy regardless.

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #18 on: September 8, 2005, 09:28:05 pm »
Someone will start another one any minute now, I can feel it...

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #19 on: September 8, 2005, 09:36:17 pm »
I've got a 40GB, it's fucking boss but that new one looks awesome.

Offline youtookmyname

• Kopite
  • Kong my whopper!
    • Footy Fashion n stuff
« Reply #20 on: September 8, 2005, 11:29:38 pm »
got a 1gb memory stick for my phone that plays mp3s but this looks very tempting....

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 06:02:16 pm »
Thought this might be a good idea given the number of threads that keep popping up on this particular subject. To be found below will be a thorough (but not exhaustive) guide to the various mp3 players available, the merits of each one and some technical support information for iPods. This will hopefully enable those users who aren't so tech savvy to try and make an informed choice. Mac users take note, the majority of players featured are PC only, stick to your iPod.

You can break down the various mp3 players available into three main categories.

1)
Very small flash based players which will typically hold between 50 to 250 tracks. These will have a memory capacity of between 64MB and 1GB and will cost between £25 and £100.

2)
Microdrive based players, these will hold between 1000 and 1500 songs and are based on either 4,5 or 6GB microdrives and will cost between £100 and £180

3)
Hard drive players, these will hold between 5,000 and 15,000 songs and are based on 20-60GB hard drives and typically cost between £180 and £300

So you ideally need to pigeon hole yourself into one of the three categories above based on your specific requirements of cost, capacity and physical size.

Codecs

Codecs are something which all us geeks tend to get quite excited about however they do also have an important relevance here. A audio codec is basically a means of compressing the music you have on CD. So for example if you were to simply copy a CD onto your computers hard drive it would take up around 640MB of space. This would mean that you wouldn't be able to fit much music onto your portable player so a codec is used to 'squash' the music to a much smaller size. There are many audio codecs floating around and, depending on your usage you need to ensure you buy a player which plays certain codecs.

MP3 is the most commonly known codec and is universally supported by almost every portable player out there.
Atrac3 is a proprietary codec used only by Sony.
AAC is an Apple designed codec but is more universally used than Atrac.
WMA stands for windows media audio and is the format used when you use Windows media player to 'rip' your Cd's.

There are one or two others out there but the purposes of buying a player those are the most important ones. Now why is this relevant. Well if, for example, you want to download music online from an online store such as iTunes, Sony Connect or Napster, they come in a specific file format which isn't MP3. For example, iTunes is considered the biggest online music store and is also one of the most competitive on price with downloads costing 79p per track or £7.99 per album. However if you have a Sony player that music which you have bought from the iTunes music store will not play on your Sony as none of Sonys' current range of players support AAC files, which is the codec used on iTunes. The same goes in reverse, if you use Sonys' online music store, they will not play on an iPod. Bottom line, check what codecs a player supports before buying.

Codecs also vary in terms of sound quality however the more technically minded can actually choose your own sound quality by adjusting the codec's bit rate (a higher bit rate will give a better sound quality but take up more hard drive space) However to keep it simple the codecs used by the most common audio software tend to have a default setting of 128Kbps. At this setting all three codecs mentioned alongside MP3 above, WMA, AAC and Atrac, will offer a significantly better sound quality than an MP3 ripped at the same setting.

Find out more about codecs here

Small Flash based players

For those on a tight budget, not wanting to store a huge number of tracks or wanting something particularly small you should be looking at a flash memory based player, category number one above. These are the sorts of players that can be picked up in Tesco or Asda as well as the major electronics retailers. There are literally hundreds and hundreds of different players available as a simple search for the term "mp3 player" on ebay will testify. If you are after a bargain basement player this is probably where I would start. You can pick up a non branded 512MB player for as little as £15. However be aware that this will probably be shipped to you from the far east and you will be liable for a high postage cost as well as possibly having to pay import tax @ 27.5%. You also run the risk of having little or no comeback should the product develop a fault.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/512MB-MP3-Player-7-in-1-USB-REC-WMA-CHDB2-NEW_W0QQitemZ5807845031QQcategoryZ80019QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Of the more mainstream products that you will likely find in dixons here is a quick selection.

Firstly the Sony NWE105L
This is a very small circular player with an excellent battery life. However it uses the standard Sony Sonicstage software which is not particularly good. It comes in a range of other colours.

The iPod Shuffle
Available in 512MB or 1GB models, around the size of a pack of chewing gum, this lacks a screen and battery life isn't brilliant but but of all the cheaper players it has the best software.

The Creative Muvo
Available in 256MB, 512MB and 1GB models this is slightly bigger than the other two players but is also slightly cheaper. An added bonus is that files can be simply drag and dropped onto the player without the need for additional software.

MicroDrive based players

The most popular type of player, these are based around miniature hard drives. they combine a small form factor with a good song capacity.

The first one that springs to mind is the most popular 'MP3' player in the world. The iPod mini. Whilst this has recently been discontinued to be replaced by the iPod Nano it is still widely available.

Available in four colours and two different capacities,4 and 6GB. Battery life is solid and menu navigation is a doddle. The supplied software as with all Apple players is the universally acclaimed iTunes.

A slightly cheaper option is the Rio Carbon  This is a 5GB player and personally is the only model in it's class that comes close to the iPod mini in terms of design, ease of use and value for money. The price on the linked model is for a refurb unit so expect to pay around £119 for a brand new model. This is still £20 cheaper and a good alternative to the iPod mini.

Also available is the Creative Zen Micro
Available in a wealth of colour options this is a decent 6GB player that also comes with a spare battery in the box. Slightly cheaper than the iPod mini it also has a very similar menu system although the scroll pad is not quite so intuitive as the iPod's scroll wheel.

Hard Drive based players

These were the first type of 'jukebox' style players available and you can now get them with up to 60GB capcities. That's enough for up to 15,000 songs at a good sound quality. These are the choice of the road warrior, someone who wants their entire CD collection available to them.

First up is the iPod. The first mainstream jukebox to market and the market leader. Now has a colour screen as standard and improved battery life. Available in 20GB and 60GB models. There is also a limited edition U2 model as owned by one Steven Gerrard. Around the size of a cigarette packet the iPod also has a massive range of accessories available such as laser pointers, voice recorders, cases, radio transmitters and many many more. This is now a big selling point for all iPod as many of the competing players have little to no add on available and those that do are very difficult to get hold of. All standard iPods now have photo capabilities meaning you can transfer photos from your library on your computer or directly from your digital camera with the aid of an adapter.

The iRiver H10 is a highly competitive player with it being slightly cheaper than the 20GB iPod. It has a built in voice recorder to enable it to be used as a digital dictaphone straight out of the box and comes in four colours. It also has a built in FM radio, something the iPod lacks and this is a great bonus compared to some of the competing players. Again it has a colour screen which can be used for viewing photos.

The Sony HD5 is Sony's offering and is quite frankly not worth looking at unless Sony start some serious price cutting. Lacking a colour screen and with battery life claims that are, quite frankly not true. The claimed battery life of 40 hours falls to around 14 hours if you are playing a 128Kbps MP3 file. Combined with the very poor supplied software I'd give this one a miss.

The Creative Zen Sleek is a new model based around the Zen Micro but with a 20GB capacity. It is a very sleek design and the menu system is almost a carbon copy of the iPod. Slightly cheaper than the iPod it also lacks a colour screen but does have a solid battery life with up to 18 hours of playback.

The iRiver H-340 is a 40GB player, again with a colour screen. Considerably chunkier than the players listed above it does have a wide ranging feature set. In addition to a built in voice recorder, colour screen for photo viewing and built in FM radio it also has the added benefit of being able to play certain video files. Solid battery life also make this a good choice for those wanting that little bit extra from their player as long as you don't mind the extra size/weight.

The recently released iPod Nano doesn't really come into any of the above categories as it is a flash memory based player but with a capacity similar to the MicroDrive based players. With 2 and 4GB models available and a colour screen the iPod Nano is of a new breed of players. Around the size of three credit cards stuck back to back it is the smallest 4GB player out there. This of course comes at a price with the 2GB priced at £139 and the 4GB at £169. This is quite a bit more expensive per GB than some of the other players. Is it worth it for the smaller size, ultimately that is a personal opinion.

iPod Technical Support Info

First and foremost, the iPod is generally a very reliable piece of equipment. The rumoured problems of battery life were basically just that, rumours. There are thousands and thousands of iPods sold every day and the failure rate, I would guess, over the course of the 12 month warranty is less than 5%. That said there can be problems however most can be fixed yourself by doing one of two things. NB this excludes iPod shuffles. First thing to do is a 'soft' reset. This can be done by pressing the play button and the middle button simultaneously for around 6 seconds. Should this fail to resolve the problem a 'hard' reset can be performed by connecting your iPod to your computer, opening the iPod updater software, not iTunes and performing a factory reset. It is also worth noting that Apple releases software updates for the iPod periodically and it is always worth making sure you have the latest version installed on your computer/iPod as this will minimise problems you may have.

Also worth noting is problems with headphones. Apple will replace any defective set of headphones free of charge within the 12 month warranty. Simple phone them up (08708 760933) and they will arrange for a replacement set to be posted to you. There is also a wealth of support information on the apple website at www.apple.com/uk/support/ipod.

Happy Listening.

*wonders whether it will be Graeme or Gareth who bemaons my not mention Ogg Vorbis once*
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 04:11:43 pm by Barney_Яubble »

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 06:46:36 pm »
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2005, 04:44:48 pm »
iam not talking about the ten minutes you get after 12 lads on 995  ;D

iam talking about the boxes you buy that plug in to your TV, can they work with a indoor arial and which is the best one or are they all of simlier standards?

cheers james
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005, 04:45:54 pm »
I have the small Nokia one. It was about 60 quid and works really well. They're all pretty much the same but you can't get some channels on some boxes. Nokia has all the ones I need.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005, 04:51:20 pm »
have you got a proper arial(one conected throught the roof) or just a indoor arial?
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2005, 06:24:41 pm »
This arrived today.  Fucking lovely.  Black on the front, stainless steel on the back.  The engraving is boss.  Champions of Europe, with 25/05/05 central underneath.

Screen is awesome, it is as thing as a credit card (almost) and as light as a feather.

Best £140 I have spent in a while....

:wave 8)

Offline B9

• Official Mandy Moore Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 06:48:02 pm »
I am very happy with my shuffle, but I have to admit that Nano is looking very tempting...

Would like to wait until it gets up in the 10 GB department, so I can carry all my music on it.

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 08:19:05 pm »
I am very happy with my shuffle, but I have to admit that Nano is looking very tempting...

Would like to wait until it gets up in the 10 GB department, so I can carry all my music on it.
What are you doing with a shuffle if you want 10GB of music?

Offline Rob Jones Maybe?

• The Equaliser
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK N' Roll
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2005, 08:23:52 pm »
Got my old-as-fuck 20gb iPod, full size, 18gb used.

Now the difference between this, and my iPod, is that mine has a more impressive lump when I wear tight jeans.

But fuck it man, I could swallow that. Put me down for one! I'm sure I could just put the essentials on that little thing.

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2005, 08:56:26 pm »
Got my old-as-fuck 20gb iPod, full size, 18gb used.

Now the difference between this, and my iPod, is that mine has a more impressive lump when I wear tight jeans.

But fuck it man, I could swallow that. Put me down for one! I'm sure I could just put the essentials on that little thing.

It would be hard to downgrade of sure, but I don't think I OWN 18gb of music, let alone putting it all on my iPod ;D

Offline B9

• Official Mandy Moore Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:45 pm »
What are you doing with a shuffle if you want 10GB of music?

was a present, it serves its purpose well. If I were to invest in a new one, it would be for another purpose - ie, I'd want it to be a full repository of my music, not just a selection like the shuffle.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2005, 11:29:45 pm »
Nice use of the word "repository"- possibly the first time this word has been used on RAWK?

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2005, 10:18:06 am »
the shuffle looks like such a piece of shit now.

Now?

Offline J££RARD

• Thai me up, Thai me down.
  • Legacy Fan
  • be nice or F.O.
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
i want one, maybe a black one :)
my twitter rant: @jeerard

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2005, 12:51:14 pm »
Never been tempted by an iPod. Until now. I've got the gadget sweats, I need to lie down (then get out more)
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline -Gianni-

• Would have wood if Tiger Woods would
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2005, 07:53:12 pm »
This looks sweet, think ill have to get one. Ive been waiting as I badly need an mp3 player for the right one and that looks brilliant

Just not sure if i'll need 500 or 1000 songs  :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 07:59:16 pm by -Gianni- »
So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Offline Withnail

• Failed anorexic.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2005, 05:20:40 pm »
i am looking into buying a digital camera in the next couple of weeks. i have a budget of £200, it has to be at least 5MP.
any expert advice would be appreciated. :wave

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2005, 05:23:09 pm »

:)

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2005, 05:27:57 pm »
Seriously though...

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=85815.0

Looks like Helly recently bought one, maybe you could ask her or RobJones about that one!

Good luck mate!  :wave