Author Topic: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)  (Read 361375 times)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #8600 on: December 6, 2022, 08:58:04 pm »
Nothing’s gone right for Switzerland tonight, but their flag’s a big plus.

Appropriate Swiss flag is the reverse of the red cross flag, as a lot of help is what the Swiss needed tonight. ;)
« Last Edit: December 6, 2022, 09:00:08 pm by XmaStattooed Red Breasts »
#Sausages

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: World Cup: football & teams discussion, plus in-game comments (no flooding!)
« Reply #8601 on: December 6, 2022, 08:58:15 pm »
Switzerland to go 2 years unbeaten after this and then lose in the 2nd round as per?

They go like insane to get really good rankings for world cup and Euro's. Like use mathematicians to calculate the best friendlies for the best returns in FIFA points with minimal risk of losing. Really is the second most impressive thing about this swiss team, just behind Shaqiri whenever he plays Serbia

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8602 on: December 6, 2022, 09:01:11 pm »
This Portugal side could be in contention this year. Even if they aren't, I can see them being a very special side going into the future. Lots of really good young talent across the board, look a very impressive side

Anyone other than Morocco and Croatia can win it. I be shocked if they did. All the other teams have good players but some flaws.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8603 on: December 6, 2022, 09:04:58 pm »
They go like insane to get really good rankings for world cup and Euro's. Like use mathematicians to calculate the best friendlies for the best returns in FIFA points with minimal risk of losing. Really is the second most impressive thing about this swiss team, just behind Shaqiri whenever he plays Serbia

They are workman like, reminds me of a midtable prem team punching above their weight. Never seem to lose to teams they should beat but apart from France on pens in the euros they tend to lose to first good team they play

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8604 on: December 6, 2022, 09:19:48 pm »
Best bit so far, the glove-puppet monkey singing the Moroccan national anthem.

Joe Beasley was Moroccan?!

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8605 on: December 6, 2022, 09:24:07 pm »
i fancy Spain in penalties

One of the all time shocking predictions. :D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8606 on: December 6, 2022, 09:27:56 pm »
They will.

Hang on, this one’s even worse! :D

Just catching up on this thread after a Christmas work lunch!

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8607 on: December 6, 2022, 09:33:32 pm »
Fucking hell this is like a bluenose thread with the obsession. Portugal playing some good footie and most comments over course of game were about Ronaldo, fucking hell lads.

Yea we should be focusing on GR26.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8608 on: December 6, 2022, 09:38:22 pm »
If they are serious about winning it, he wont.

If they do the manager should be exiled. You'd assume from this scoreline even his teammates know they're much better without him in the lineup

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8609 on: December 6, 2022, 09:49:34 pm »
Still fancy Morocco.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8610 on: December 6, 2022, 09:50:53 pm »
Hang on, this one’s even worse! :D

Just catching up on this thread after a Christmas work lunch!
;D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8611 on: December 6, 2022, 10:58:41 pm »
Swiss should have stayed neutral and not bothered to show up.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8612 on: December 6, 2022, 11:05:53 pm »
Imagine the scenario. Argentina v Portugal World Cup Final. Media wet themselves with the prospect of the game being "the decider for who is the best player ever for the ultimate prize" or some shite like that. Ronaldo is benched and Messi lifts the World Cup. Could happen

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8613 on: December 7, 2022, 12:06:34 am »
Imagine the scenario. Argentina v Portugal World Cup Final. Media wet themselves with the prospect of the game being "the decider for who is the best player ever for the ultimate prize" or some shite like that. Ronaldo is benched and Messi lifts the World Cup. Could happen

FIFA and Qatar will love it if that happens. It's their dream scenario

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #8614 on: December 7, 2022, 12:12:33 am »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-sterling-robbery-police-statement-28655830

According to the Police Sterling’s house was broken into some time when his fiancé and kids were with him in Qatar. Thankfully this wasn’t a home invasion scenario as initially reported…. Horrible to be burgled but not sure my employers would be happy if I flew back home from a very important trip because of it. Southgate did say it hadn’t affected selection plans so maybe he knew he wasn’t playing and thought I may as well go home.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8615 on: December 7, 2022, 12:23:09 am »
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-sterling-robbery-police-statement-28655830

According to the Police Sterling’s house was broken into some time when his fiancé and kids were with him in Qatar. Thankfully this wasn’t a home invasion scenario as initially reported…. Horrible to be burgled but not sure my employers would be happy if I flew back home from a very important trip because of it. Southgate did say it hadn’t affected selection plans so maybe he knew he wasn’t playing and thought I may as well go home.

It does seem like more Sterling Twattery.  I went to work the day after my house was robbed. It's  a nasty violation  but if I  was a multi millionaire with the ability to stay anywhere in the world it would have been a lot easier.
I've read that a spokesman said his family were at home at the time. Then that turned out not to be true. Rings of Stephen Ireland  " my granny died" vibes.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8616 on: December 7, 2022, 01:30:39 am »
Still fancy Morocco.
If Morocco had a striker like Mo, they will be in with a chance.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
« Reply #8617 on: December 7, 2022, 02:05:47 am »
Spain are fucking dire, thank god I fell asleep halfway through the first half. I'd genuinely rather watch paint dry than Spain pass it a 1000 times between their defenders.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8618 on: December 7, 2022, 05:13:34 am »
Portugal have got some boys in that team, dear Lord. They’re going to be very good for a very long time. They’re churning out beasts all over the shop.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8619 on: December 7, 2022, 06:01:57 am »
Portugal and France have the most depth of talent in World football right now. Followed by Braszil and England.Yesterday without having to carry the mascot and playing with pace and freedom, they were amazing. Will be an interesting quarter final with morroco who have conceded once all tournament, including 3 pens in the shoot out! I think it’ll be a step too far for Morocco.

The semi final line up could be incredible. Brazil / Argentina or Holland.  France/England vs Portugal

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8620 on: December 7, 2022, 09:50:24 am »
Think Brazil have a lack of young talent relative to the others and especially relative to their size

In defence, sure but in attack they’re young and stacked. Midfield isn’t great but Guimaraes should be around for a while and they’ll always find somebody.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8621 on: December 7, 2022, 10:42:58 am »

The semi final line up could be incredible. Brazil / Argentina or Holland.  France/England vs Portugal

Brazil are the bookies favourites because they're near certain to get to the semi finals but to me this is a coin flip tournament between whoever the 4 semi finalists (unless Holland surprise Argentina)  - they've all got weaknesses / strengths

as an aside It's great to finally see a Protugal side play up to their talent level instead of the grind-y snidey stuff they usually produce

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8622 on: December 7, 2022, 11:13:35 am »
Brazil are the bookies favourites because they're near certain to get to the semi finals but to me this is a coin flip tournament between whoever the 4 semi finalists (unless Holland surprise Argentina)  - they've all got weaknesses / strengths

Yeah for sure, it's always a coin flip to an extent in these competitions, there will always be favourites but it's one off games and anything can happen, just ask Pep's CL career.

Plus people wet themselves over big victories which in the grand scheme doesn't mean much as some opposition can just fold. I mean Costa Rica got twatted by Spain who then get dumped out by Morocco etc.

One of the only consistent big team this tournament were Germany, consistently shite.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8623 on: December 7, 2022, 11:15:31 am »
It's surprising that Brazil haven't produced any stellar young fullbacks in recent years. Unless they are, but Tite still favours these older players.

Anyone familiar with Brazilian football to shed some light on this? Fullbacks bombing forward feels like such a trademark of Brazilian football.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8624 on: December 7, 2022, 02:22:08 pm »
Portugal have got some boys in that team, dear Lord. They’re going to be very good for a very long time. They’re churning out beasts all over the shop.

Definitely a contender after last night, and got great hopes for future tournaments. But preferably they get knocked out this time around just so that c*nt Ronaldo doesn't get an unworthy winners medal.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8625 on: December 7, 2022, 02:33:36 pm »
Definitely a contender after last night, and got great hopes for future tournaments. But preferably they get knocked out this time around just so that c*nt Ronaldo doesn't get an unworthy winners medal.
Yeah. The c*nt will probably try to claim a man of the match award, even though he'll have been on the bench.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8626 on: December 7, 2022, 03:22:17 pm »
Yeah. The c*nt will probably try to claim a man of the match award, even though he'll have been on the bench.
Thank God this man got it instead:

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8627 on: December 7, 2022, 03:24:54 pm »
If Morocco had a striker like Mo, they will be in with a chance.
True. If they had Mo (Egypt) and Mahrez (Algeria) in their ranks they would probably win the tournament.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8628 on: December 7, 2022, 04:35:20 pm »
True. If they had Mo (Egypt) and Mahrez (Algeria) in their ranks they would probably win the tournament.

If Spain had Mbappe and Dembele they'd probably win it.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8629 on: December 7, 2022, 05:42:04 pm »
I don't want Portugal to win, Ratface, The Giant Ego, Bernardo Manning and Pepe are all enormous twats.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8630 on: December 7, 2022, 05:43:00 pm »
Can't believe I've actually had to work this morning instead of just pretending to work while games are on in the background. Sickening stuff.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #8631 on: December 7, 2022, 05:52:42 pm »
Can't believe I've actually had to work this morning instead of just pretending to work while games are on in the background. Sickening stuff.
;D

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8632 on: December 7, 2022, 06:18:15 pm »
Last night when Ronaldo came on, he was stood there with a smug grin on his face, you could tell he loved that moment more than anything else about the night, not the convincing win and great football. The vast majority of people in the ground wouldn't even have been Portuguese or Swiss for that matter. It summed him up entirely.

An utter narcissist. I've said it plenty of times recently but he's the fucking Homelander of football. You'll know that if you've watched the Amazon series, or read the comics for that matter  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #8633 on: December 7, 2022, 07:16:42 pm »
Last night when Ronaldo came on, he was stood there with a smug grin on his face, you could tell he loved that moment more than anything else about the night, not the convincing win and great football. The vast majority of people in the ground wouldn't even have been Portuguese or Swiss for that matter. It summed him up entirely.

An utter narcissist. I've said it plenty of times recently but he's the fucking Homelander of football. You'll know that if you've watched the Amazon series, or read the comics for that matter  ;D
Did you see his face after about 5 minutes of him coming on, when they won the free kick about 25 yards out?
No one but him was taking that free kick, and it was shite as well.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8634 on: December 7, 2022, 08:04:33 pm »
Would love to see Netherlands win it. Mainly for Van Gaal. You know he's a top bloke when even his Man Utd days don't discredit him. I always remember journalists trying to get a provocative statement about us out of him during the dying days of Rodgers when we were awful, even trying to goad a reaction about the Liverpool supporters during an awful match at Anfield when the crowd were equally as poor as the team. He didn't once budge and maintained focus on his team at all times.

Full respect to the man.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #8635 on: December 7, 2022, 08:09:16 pm »
Would love to see Netherlands win it. Mainly for Van Gaal. You know he's a top bloke when even his Man Utd days don't discredit him. I always remember journalists trying to get a provocative statement about us out of him during the dying days of Rodgers when we were awful, even trying to goad a reaction about the Liverpool supporters during an awful match at Anfield when the crowd were equally as poor as the team. He didn't once budge and maintained focus on his team at all times.

Full respect to the man.

I think they'll beat Argentina. Messi has had to drag them over the line in almost every game and I don't think it's a great match-up for Argentina's weaknesses

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8636 on: December 7, 2022, 08:23:14 pm »

Full respect to the man.

Sound fella but his football is so dull. Between him and Van Marwijk it's a while since you seen a Holland side that's exciting to watch. You used to be able to rely on Holland and Brazil to entertain.

His managerial career has tapered off since the 90s compared to someone like Ancelotti who has kept at the top. It'd be some end to his career if they did win it - a great legacy ending.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2022, 08:25:14 pm by Frostymo, laaaaa! »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8637 on: December 7, 2022, 09:21:25 pm »
Not sure they'll go the whole way but I would just about fancy them to beat Argentina. As rafa 83 says below it's Messi having to carry them in every game, they won't get a lot out of some of their other attackers, especially against the top sides. I also think the psychological part will get to them in one game, the pressure, Messi's last chance to win it etc etc.

It would be a bit mad if they did win it, it's obviously not the strongest Dutch side ever, would be great for Van Dijk though.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8638 on: December 7, 2022, 09:35:34 pm »
Not sure they'll go the whole way but I would just about fancy them to beat Argentina. As rafa 83 says below it's Messi having to carry them in every game, they won't get a lot out of some of their other attackers, especially against the top sides. I also think the psychological part will get to them in one game, the pressure, Messi's last chance to win it etc etc.

It would be a bit mad if they did win it, it's obviously not the strongest Dutch side ever, would be great for Van Dijk though.

I bet Messi would kill for the talent Portugal have and would help them win it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online **** The Pain Away.

• the cat who went all Yusuf Islam
  • Kopite
  • "We are the real people's club."
« Reply #8639 on: December 7, 2022, 09:46:42 pm »
I bet Messi would kill for the talent Portugal have and would help them win it.

I doubt he would risk going to prison for murder.
Meh...