Author Topic: Wireless Speaker Recommendations  (Read 1521 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Wireless Speaker Recommendations
« on: April 4, 2022, 03:05:40 pm »
I bought the Apple HomePod mini a while back. Great sounding speaker for £100, albeit the experience is slightly dampened by the fact the fucking thing never works. It's so buggy I can't even sell it, so I'm genuinely tempted to smash it up so I can at least get some sort of therapeutic release from the thing.

Anyway, I'm after a wireless replacement. £100 or under, though I'd love to get something good value if possible. Can I get good quality at that price? Just looking for a nice sound and an easy to use product really.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
Re: Wireless Speaker Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2022, 03:56:31 pm »
For under £100 you're pretty limited to be honest.  I've got a couple of Amazon Echo 3rd Gens and they're fine, nothing amazing, but sound fine for the price and work well.  I think I paid about £50 each for them and for the price I can't complain.  Never had any issues with them and seem to integrate well with my phone and ring doorbell that I also have.  The 4th Gen ones are out now so expect them to sound a bit better and will be under £100, the Amazon speakers often go on offer, so worth holding out as the price seems to fluctuate between £60-80.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2022, 09:46:16 pm »
Sony srs xb33 or jbl charge. Both 99 on Amazon. Way better sound than the ones that are geared towards smart home functions.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2022, 10:00:38 pm by MBL? »

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #3 on: April 5, 2022, 02:17:22 am »
Thanks to both of you.
Sony srs xb33 or jbl charge. Both 99 on Amazon. Way better sound than the ones that are geared towards smart home functions.
I should have mentioned actually, that the smart functions don’t really interest me at all. So maybe something like these two will be my best bet. Had a really nice pair of Sony headphones until recently so might try that speaker out.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2022, 08:38:30 am »
don't know about the xb33, but not long bought it's little brother the xb13 and it's really good for it's size, good sound and really good battery life.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2022, 08:52:23 am »
Anker Soundcore user here since 2017.
2x5w speakers and battery life is also excellent.
Costs 30 Euros.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2022, 10:54:11 am »
Anker Soundcore user here since 2017.
2x5w speakers and battery life is also excellent.
Costs 30 Euros.

Seconded for this, cheap, loud, decent sounds, decent bass. Guess it depends on how much of a audiophile you are

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2022, 12:37:34 pm »
A little over your budget perhaps but we got an Audio Pro C3 at xmas and are very pleased with it. Mains and battery (up to 15 hours apparently), wifi and bluetooth, app includes various streaming services and internet radio. Can also be used with other units as part of a multi room set up. I am not an audiophile but for a small unit (there is a C4 and C5) the sound is massive - warm and rich. Absolutely fills our kitchen and is great in the garden for BBQ and drinks. Maybe not everyone's style but it is built like a tank and I think it looks pretty good.

https://www.richersounds.com/audio-pro-c3-gry.html
Available in Currys for £150 and £189 in Richer Sounds (although RS will price match) in black/white/grey.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2022, 12:44:13 pm »
Anker seems almost too good to be true at those prices. I think I’ve heard them being decent before.

I might still go with the Sony though, just because I randomly have a £30 John Lewis voucher and they don’t seem to stock Anker.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2022, 12:49:41 pm »
A little over your budget perhaps but we got an Audio Pro C3 at xmas and are very pleased with it. Mains and battery (up to 15 hours apparently), wifi and bluetooth, app includes various streaming services and internet radio. Can also be used with other units as part of a multi room set up. I am not an audiophile but for a small unit (there is a C4 and C5) the sound is massive - warm and rich. Absolutely fills our kitchen and is great in the garden for BBQ and drinks. Maybe not everyone's style but it is built like a tank and I think it looks pretty good.

https://www.richersounds.com/audio-pro-c3-gry.html
Available in Currys for £150 and £189 in Richer Sounds (although RS will price match) in black/white/grey.
I’m trying to be quite strict with money at the minute, so I’m gonna have to stick to my guns and not go above £100. Looks good though.

It’s worth asking, simply because I know what Apple are like, will I run into any problems with my iPhone with any of these speakers? It’d be very on brand for Apple Music to not be compatible or something. I guess they literally just play all sound outputted from your phone though so should be fine right?

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #10 on: April 5, 2022, 01:24:16 pm »
I’m trying to be quite strict with money at the minute, so I’m gonna have to stick to my guns and not go above £100. Looks good though.

It’s worth asking, simply because I know what Apple are like, will I run into any problems with my iPhone with any of these speakers? It’d be very on brand for Apple Music to not be compatible or something. I guess they literally just play all sound outputted from your phone though so should be fine right?
I use the app with Android but according to the What HiFi review it is available on iOS too.
https://www.whathifi.com/audio-pro/addon-c3/review

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 5, 2022, 03:57:33 pm »
Jbl flip is decent for your budget

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/jbl-flip-6

Can be had for 100 amazon warehouse like new with 20% discount
« Last Edit: April 5, 2022, 04:19:37 pm by McSquared »

Online LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: April 7, 2022, 04:01:50 pm »
need something cheap for my daughters 3rd birthday party outside if anyone can recommend something

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2022, 04:26:09 pm »
need something cheap for my daughters 3rd birthday party outside if anyone can recommend something
Just bought one of these for my dad to go under his crappy monitor. It is plugged into the mains and wired to the monitor but can also be used with bluetooth and internal battery - £29.99 direct from Creative (I got an extra 10% off with a voucher code).

https://uk.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-stage-air

Hooked up my phone with the bluetooth easily enough, pretty basic as far as settings go (no equaliser/tone) but reasonably clear and goes quite loud for not much money. Massive improvement on the built in tinny speakers. Battery apparently lasts 6 hours (half volume) but havent tested that. Don't now how much using the aux input rather than bluetooth might extend battery.

Online LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2022, 04:32:13 pm »
looks ideal, thank you!

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 7, 2022, 05:41:16 pm »
Bit of a bargain at microsoft at the minute. I know it is above the price range but still..

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/d/harman-kardon-go-play-mini/8qmr0pt5m04j