Author Topic: Curry Thread  (Read 66599 times)

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
Re: Curry Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 23, 2020, 12:24:53 am »
Let me tell you ain't a good idea to have a curry at 2am in the early hours of the morning.  :D

But strangely is the only good idea at the time

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: April 23, 2020, 12:27:44 am »
 ;D

Haha that was a while back. Mind you I still do like to have a Kebab or two and other curry related assortments at that time of night with the boxing.  ;D

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #602 on: April 23, 2020, 12:28:02 am »
Has anyone ever made a paneer

My ex trouble and strife used to make it. It tasted pretty good. She used Ghee from an Indian store and then spiced the crud out of it. I think adding loads of spice is the key. And yes, the cheese is just a tasteless solid.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #603 on: April 23, 2020, 12:30:22 am »
It's a good thing the curry houses are open during the lockdown.  ;D

Offline Jonny-LFC

• Kopite
  • Yorkshire Red
« Reply #604 on: April 23, 2020, 07:45:37 am »
Got 3 of the Curry Guy books and been making them for about 18 months, they're amazing.  Did the vindaloo last night for the first time - Was great.
@JonnYNWA

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:24 am »
Got 3 of the Curry Guy books and been making them for about 18 months, they're amazing.  Did the vindaloo last night for the first time - Was great.

I have the book but there seems to be a lot of ingredients per dish.

I can make decent curries using pastes, spices etc from supermarkets but they aren't a patch on the restaurant quality.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #606 on: April 27, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »
Watching some videos how to make curries, & stumbled on this, this is how to make the base gravy restaurant style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW2NyoXVts
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #607 on: April 27, 2020, 06:40:52 pm »
Watching some videos how to make curries, & stumbled on this, this is how to make the base gravy restaurant style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW2NyoXVts

I found this one too, Latifs restaurant in Alsager

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RAyEdD8g5Pg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RAyEdD8g5Pg</a>
Jurgen YNWA

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: April 27, 2020, 07:32:21 pm »
Tried Curry Goat last weekend for the first time (making)

was a lot of effort compared to the average curry i thought but well worth the result

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #609 on: April 27, 2020, 11:51:33 pm »
We love spicy foods in our house, and when out to eat a hot curry is also favoured. But tonight I made a chicken korma with cardamom rice. Just from a flavour profile, it was delicious. It is much maligned because it is seen as a weak curry but it was very tasty - will definitely make again.

The recipe was a finely chopped onion fried off in some butter, add chopped garlic and ginger and korma powder. Add the chopped chicken thigh pieces and cook off for a few minutes. Dissolve a chicken stock cube in water and add it to the pan with ground almonds. Let it cook out until it thickens a bit. At the last minute add in some Greek style natural yogurt and stir until warmed through. Served it with rice - brought to the boil in cold water, 4/5 cardamom pods cracked open and fried off in some butter first, then added the water and rice. Then garnished it all with some fresh coriander.

Really, really nice! Nice to have something not tomato based too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:54:11 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #610 on: April 27, 2020, 11:53:14 pm »
Spell check on my phone won’t allow me to type cardamon! 

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2020, 02:24:34 pm »
Any dish can be made to whatever level of spiciness/hotness you want. Even a Korma.  8)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: April 30, 2020, 07:18:02 pm »

Just made my first naga chicken curry using this which I bought from Amazon. Was absolutely delicious - sweating with a runny nose. Sign of a good curry (and hopefully not covid symptoms)

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #613 on: April 30, 2020, 07:47:22 pm »
This is a top forum for proper curry heads, the members are fully committed to reproducing BIR standard curry at home. Some members have spent time in the kitchen at their local Indian restaurant / takeaway many times and report back their findings. It’s quite astounding how dedicated some members are to reproducing BIR style food at home. It’s a gold mine for those who love to cook Indian. Spend a bit of time looking through some of the threads, especially the base gravy threads of which there are many. I’ve made JB’s base gravy and it’s amazing.

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?PHPSESSID=j8pk2ogmjci0d5lbker8ej0kbk&

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:50:37 pm by red1977 »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #614 on: April 30, 2020, 08:06:20 pm »
This is a top forum for proper curry heads, the members are fully committed to reproducing BIR standard curry at home. Some members have spent time in the kitchen at their local Indian restaurant / takeaway many times and report back their findings. It’s quite astounding how dedicated some members are to reproducing BIR style food at home. It’s a gold mine for those who love to cook Indian. Spend a bit of time looking through some of the threads, especially the base gravy threads of which there are many. I’ve made JB’s base gravy and it’s amazing.

https://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?PHPSESSID=j8pk2ogmjci0d5lbker8ej0kbk&

Nice one - will be checking this out!

Offline Amatt

• Amoo, Amass.....
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #615 on: April 30, 2020, 08:19:42 pm »
Decided on an impromptu chicken madras from Millon Tandoori on Allerton Road last night. Jesus it was good. Git it with a keema naan bread. Absolutely spot on.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #616 on: April 30, 2020, 08:22:56 pm »

Just made my first naga chicken curry using this which I bought from Amazon. Was absolutely delicious - sweating with a runny nose. Sign of a good curry (and hopefully not covid symptoms)

Naga peppers can be fuckin' HOT mate. Best be prepared.  ;D

I once had a Naga called the Viper, Sweet Jebus it was hot and it was watered down version of the original.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:24:58 pm by Samie »

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #617 on: May 1, 2020, 03:02:25 am »
Try 'Mr Naga'  ;)

My dad owns an Indian restaurant/takeaway (since March 1990)....shame I can't fucking cook to save my life!  ;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Online Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #618 on: May 1, 2020, 03:05:28 am »
Oh, and I had a chicken tikka biryani with lamb dansak (lentils), madras hot.  :P
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #619 on: May 7, 2020, 10:07:10 am »

Haha, another one of these! Looks good that one, cheers

I've recently signed up at this one, the CA base sauce is absolutely spot-on

http://bircurries.co.uk/

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: May 7, 2020, 10:06:16 pm »
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/wagamama-katsu-curry-recipe-how-to-make-cooking-chef-tutorial-video-a9489466.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Wagamama Katsu sauce recipe!

If the recipe really is true Wagamama style you'll need to treble the ingredients for the sauce to be in any way satisfied ;D

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: May 7, 2023, 08:51:59 am »
Saw ToneLa was up early making a base (good lad, happy days) as per the royal bollocks thread. So thought this was worth a bump. Share what you're making Tone.

Posting a few links from youtube below that have inspired me lately, both BIR and traditional. (Will probs knock up a Sunday base me self, been a while as been making more traditional stuff lately. and get a couple of BIR curries on the go :-)

https://www.youtube.com/@thekitchenn
https://www.youtube.com/@StevenHeapRecipes
https://www.youtube.com/@LatifsInspired

Been into making Jamacian chicken and goat curries as well lately, reggae dub on, tinnies out, cant beat it.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2023, 09:02:09 am by red1977 »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: May 8, 2023, 01:38:50 pm »
Ello matey, ooh a good thread - Jamaican me crazy! Curry is a wild huge world

Back to BIR lately as I've just moved and seemed the thing to do.

Using a fairly basic curry base I got from BIRcurries, I have tried some wild and wonderfully complex ones over the years but this deceptively simple one where you caramelise the onions is my current go-to

1 kg of brown onions, (chopped weight)
1.2 kg of fresh tomatoes chopped into quarters, No need to de-seed
15g fresh garlic, finely grated
15g fresh ginger finely grated
100ml veg oil
1 tablespoon corriander
1 pint of water

They paywall the recipe so not gonna post it in full but if you've ever made a curry base the steps are pretty basic

I tend to do the onions first and put the spices in at the same time as the tomatoes (tinned is fine). The trick to this one is to use plenty water as thr volume of onions can make it quite thick. Simmered it in a pan with the lid on, I have also made bases in the slow cooker and the ol Instant Pot both viable but I prefer the flexibility of the hob

Blended it and it made a few tubs worth. Made a Madras the other night and it has that basic BIR taste I crave. Still more to do, Madras itself for example seems different in nearly every curry house so basically it's up to me ain't it!

I prefer my Madras with lemon juice. Worcestershire sauce is also underrated

Kashmiri chili powder is also a must-have ingredient

Excuse the frost on this pic, it makes a decent amount and I deep freeze em

« Last Edit: May 8, 2023, 01:48:21 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #625 on: May 9, 2023, 08:00:09 pm »
Made a vindaloo

And spice mix for every base recipe

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: May 9, 2023, 10:44:42 pm »
Nice Tone. Vindaloo looking good.

Regarding the lemon in Madras, my favorite curry house gets so much lemon flavour into their Madras and it's not bitter its genius and baffles me how they do it. Anyway, been trying for ages to replicate that lemon flavour, put juice in in the beginning or mid way, loses the lemon flavour, put it at the end bitter, leave the lemon quarters in doesn't really help. Tried grating some zest in towards the end and the flavour was there but not quite right. Might make a madras base with a couple of lemons in and cook for 3 hours see how that turns out. Really hard to make the lemon sing without losing the flavour or making it bitter.

Edit: With curry you have to know your onions. ;-)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 08:20:49 pm by red1977 »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #627 on: May 12, 2023, 11:30:41 pm »
I settle for putting some in right at the end - stir it through for a minute

Heat isn't good for lemon juice

I don't use much mind