Author Topic: Sportwashing-A general thread  (Read 61529 times)

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Sportwashing-A general thread
« Reply #600 on: October 4, 2023, 07:29:18 pm »
The official Saudi Govt, MBS, and Royal News account (for human rights abusing , torturing and journalist dismembering sportswashers) has announced they are bidding for the 2034 World Cup:-

'His Highness the Crown Prince : The Kingdom’s desire to host the 2034 World Cup is a reflection of the comprehensive renaissance it has achieved at all levels and levels, which has made it a leadership center and an international interface for hosting the largest and most important global events in various fields, with the capabilities it possesses. Great economic and cultural heritage.' - https://twitter.com/spagov/status/1709599595066425480

www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/saudi-arabia-will-bid-host-fifa-world-cup-2034-state-news-agency-2023-10-04
https://theathletic.com/4929893/2023/10/04/saudi-arabia-2034-world-cup-bid
www.goal.com/en/news/saudi-arabia-bid-2034-world-cup/blt65fe1c712bd92a1c

www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/10/4/morocco-spain-portugal-to-host-2030-world-cup-saudi-arabia-to-bid-for-2034
www.the-afc.com/en/national/fifa_world_cup/news/afc_president_welcomes_fwc_hosting_decision_backs_saff_intent_to_bid_for_2034_edition.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2034_FIFA_World_Cup

« Last Edit: October 4, 2023, 07:37:51 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: October 4, 2023, 07:35:37 pm »
The official Saudi Govt, MBS, and Royal News account (for human rights abusing , torturing and journalist dismembering sportswashers) has announced they are bidding for the 2034 World Cup:-

Think David Beckham's being lined up to promote it.

Here's what he said about promoting the Qatar World Cup:

"I had a lot of conversations with the LGBTQ community when I was there and they said they'd been treated perfectly fine.

They felt it was the safest World Cup they have had for a long time.

Whatever partnership I go into within the business we always do our homework on everything".

That's so bad, it might be worse than Jordan Henderson's interview.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #602 on: October 4, 2023, 07:54:19 pm »
Think David Beckham's being lined up to promote it.

Here's what he said about promoting the Qatar World Cup:

"I had a lot of conversations with the LGBTQ community when I was there and they said they'd been treated perfectly fine.

They felt it was the safest World Cup they have had for a long time.

Whatever partnership I go into within the business we always do our homework on everything".

That's so bad, it might be worse than Jordan Henderson's interview.

Yeah, embarrassing though highly lucrative PR from him. As long there is £$€ on offer... there'll be more to come from his vacuous head.

Beckham neglected to mention gay people imprisoned there, those beaten, tortured, or sexually abused themselves after arrest, or forced to turn other gay people in.

Unfortunately, he didn't get the chance to speak to gay people who live there - as they've likely been imprisoned - and being gay is still a capital punishment offence (for Muslims) in Qatar.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #603 on: October 6, 2023, 08:05:58 am »
Listened to the Football Ramble's collaberation with TNT last night. Never heard anything where it's so obvious that they've been tasked with not just brushing over the nature of Newcastle's ownership, but to actually promote the club. Even ended with the former host of the Ramble, and current host on TNT Jules Breach saying 'if you're a neutral you have to want Newcastle to go on and win the competition.'

Think I might be done with the Ramble as a result to be honest. It's been on a steady decline for years and is far from the slightliy outsider project that it started as, but I didn't think they'd ever sink to these depths.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2023, 08:11:57 am by rowan_d »

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: October 6, 2023, 11:40:12 am »
So sad what's happened to the sport. I always viewed football as the game of the working class (it once was) and those people had morals and would stand up for what is just and right.

Ever since the early 90's it's just been on a steady downslope and something akin to a waterslide and now it's reached the pool and in that pool anything goes, match fixing, sport washing, immoral amounts of money, ridiculous ticket prices, the Russian Chelsea gangster, 115 charges, zero regard for the environmental consequences, trolling pundits and networks, transfer window shows, the Russia world cup, the Qatar world cup, the Saudi league etc... etc...

In truth we all know "the games gone" but we still can't look away. Although i have stopped watching international football and attending games at Anfield i do think when Jurgen goes that's it for me completely and i'll focus more time on my other loves and interests.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #605 on: October 7, 2023, 07:22:30 am »
Listened to the Football Ramble's collaberation with TNT last night. Never heard anything where it's so obvious that they've been tasked with not just brushing over the nature of Newcastle's ownership, but to actually promote the club. Even ended with the former host of the Ramble, and current host on TNT Jules Breach saying 'if you're a neutral you have to want Newcastle to go on and win the competition.'

Think I might be done with the Ramble as a result to be honest. It's been on a steady decline for years and is far from the slightliy outsider project that it started as, but I didn't think they'd ever sink to these depths.
Agreed, I rarely listen to it these days, but they are now Newcastle apologists, I can no longer enjoy it as a result
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #606 on: October 7, 2023, 07:56:10 am »
It's just really disappointing how it came out of nowhere, kind of similar to Henderson's departure. They've certainly been more critical of it than the Totally Football Show have been since the Newcastle takeover, and they were back to criticising other media outlets for ignoring it in the very next episode, but that's just not good enough. You can't bin your ethos for a day the moment it suits you and then act like it never happened.

Thinking about it I probably shouldn't have even listened to the following episode, though I'd already downloaded it.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #607 on: October 10, 2023, 11:26:25 am »
Another excellent article by Barney Ronay on sport washing (Fromola please note)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/09/israel-hamas-war-premier-league-football-geopolitics-saudi-arabia
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #608 on: October 14, 2023, 10:03:38 pm »

'Tycoon behind Newcastle United takeover gave £84k to Tories after Boris backed Saudi bid':-

Firms owned by Amanda Staveley have made donations to the Conservative Party, with the latest coming after it was reported Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson backed the Saudi bid

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tycoon-behind-newcastle-united-takeover-31189947

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #609 on: October 27, 2023, 12:31:49 pm »
Paul's just been telling me about this 'Riyadh Season' of world class sporting events starting this weekend with the boxing and running until March.

Boxing, tennis, football, golf and every other sport on the planet all being held over there.

They haven't got a single 'world class' anything to their name but money can create any crap you want.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #610 on: October 27, 2023, 12:50:16 pm »
Oil is a world-class fuel, lubricant and basis for polymers. Sadly.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #611 on: November 1, 2023, 01:14:04 am »

'Why Is No One Watching Football In Saudi Arabia?' - a 35 minute video from HITC Sevens:-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LDAgWWShFkw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LDAgWWShFkw</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/LDAgWWShFkw

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #612 on: November 1, 2023, 03:31:54 pm »
World Cup 2034, mission accomplished. Harvey Elliot will be 31 by then, James Milner will be 48 and considering retirement
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #613 on: November 1, 2023, 03:56:33 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/nov/01/jim-ratcliffe-manchester-united-qatar-sale-glazers

Put this in the United thread but should have put it in here. Good read. Not all sportswashing is Middle Eastern
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #614 on: November 2, 2023, 09:10:21 am »
Private Eye:

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #615 on: November 2, 2023, 09:26:41 am »
Private Eye:

Well it’s worked for Abu Dhabi and Saudi.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #616 on: November 2, 2023, 09:31:24 am »
Well it’s worked for Abu Dhabi and Saudi.

Indeed  :(

Wasn't sure which thread to post it in between their threads and this.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: November 2, 2023, 01:30:32 pm »
Probably needs to be the last Hamas mention before this thread gets locked as well.

Now the 2034 WC is going to Saudi do we use this thread or does it merit it's own as we countdown the next 11 years?

Excellent piece in the i yesterday about it. Not only is sportswashing something to kept an eye on, I think we need to consider Infantino's FIFA corruption as meriting discussion as well and that has wider ramifications. People are far cleverer at hiding financial irregularities (often being paid off after they retire now) but it's 99% certain money has been used by Saudi and people have taken decisions on the back of that money. Der Spiegel will probably be the only ones interested who have the power of investigation.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #618 on: November 2, 2023, 11:42:58 pm »

'Saudi Arabia: New research on extent of country's investment in sport':-

New research claims to show the extent and scale of Saudi Arabian state investment and involvement in sport for the first time.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/67295892

^ Tyson Fury's fight against Francis Ngannou last Saturday took place in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

a snippet...

'The report published by Play the Game - run by the Danish Institute for Sport Studies, which is funded by the country's government - found 312 sponsorship deals across 21 sports, as well as multi-sport events.

Play the Game's data was released days after the gulf kingdom was confirmed as the sole bidder for the 2034 World Cup.

The research details how football is the main focus with 83 of the 312 deals - motorsport, with 34 deals, and golf, with 33, are the two sports with the greatest number of agreements after that.

The research suggests 139 of the deals are connected directly to the Saudi sovereign wealth fund - the Public Investment Fund (PIF), that estimates its wealth assets at $700bn (£574bn), and which also owns Newcastle United.

Both the PIF and Saudi Sports Ministry have been approached for comment.

In June, Newcastle confirmed PIF-owned events company Sela as their new shirt sponsor on a multi-year deal, one of a number of Saudi partnerships it now has.

This year, PIF also took over four leading Saudi Pro League football clubs.

In addition, it owns and finances the LIV Golf series.'

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #619 on: November 2, 2023, 11:47:18 pm »

'White noise of Fury’s tight win drowns out concerns over Saudi hosts':-

Glittering theatrics and an intriguing battle with Francis Ngannou obscured various realities behind the mask in Riyadh

www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/oct/29/white-noise-of-furys-tight-win-drowns-out-concerns-about-saudi-hospitality

a snippet...

'In these moments it was easy to understand why the dark forces of Saudi Arabia and professional boxing seem made for each other. All the biggest fights in the immediate future could well take place in Riyadh rather than Las Vegas or London. Many of those who make their living from boxing have shown unfettered glee in this new arrangement and have been full of gushing praise for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

Yet it should not be forgotten that two young Saudi men, Abdullah al-Derazi and Jalal Labbard, have just been sentenced to death for taking part in anti‑government protests when they were both minors under the age of 18.

They now face the fate of 112 people who have already been executed in Saudi so far this year.

Boxing, as well as many of its supporters and even critics, will simply ignore the most troubling aspects of life in Saudi Arabia and concentrate instead on boiling arguments over who really won this fight or who is great or who is abject. There is rarely any room for nuance or reflection in boxing. Sometimes that can feel exhilarating because, as Ngannou showed in the early hours of Sunday morning in Riyadh, boxing still produces drama and pathos.'

Offline aussie_ox

• Main Stander
  • LFC Blood Red all the way
« Reply #620 on: November 3, 2023, 02:21:52 am »
Such a load of shit the way Saudi getting 2034 went down.   South America gave away bidding rights in 2034/38 for literally 3 games.  CAF & UEFA also taken out of the equation by the ridiculous multi continent WC 2030.  That's madness!! I bet Saudi paid them off somewhere for that....

Then, 11 years away from the tournament, FIFA demands any potential bidders to register interest by October 31st and then full bid agreements by Nov 30 for an event 11 years away.   Clearly Australia / NZ is a much superior host to Saudi Arabia in every way possible except for money under the table. 

In a country with a government that is fully accountable in a democractic system that's pretty much an impossibility.   The corrupt Saudi royals of course have no such issue with that as they are able to bid as they please regardless of costs.

The reason it went down this way was Saudi were not winning a FIFA congress vote on the hosts.   Especially UEFA nations who absolutely wouldn't vote for another split season due to the climate in Saudi being unsuitable for the June/July normal timeframe.     I reckon Australia would have won this vote even with Saudi's corruption. 
Klopp that!

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: November 3, 2023, 01:28:28 pm »
We will never win the right to host a WC ever, because the soft c*nts in UK/Europe can't handle having to wake up early or stay up late for games for a couple of weeks. I've been doing it for 16 bloody years and I'm not alone!

Still corrupt as hell though, but after Qatar it seems no one cares any more. Mission accomplished.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #622 on: November 3, 2023, 03:30:01 pm »
Nobody in the football, sporting and even celebrity circuit seems to give a shit. That boxing farce last weekend in Saudi was attended by the rich and famous who were all given tv airtime to “endorse the product”. Gave the impression that loads of bloodstained money must have been flying about in the background.
The Saudi money is talking now, and it will wash and silence as it goes.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #623 on: November 3, 2023, 03:32:52 pm »
Nobody in the football, sporting and even celebrity circuit seems to give a shit. That boxing farce last weekend in Saudi was attended by the rich and famous who were all given tv airtime to “endorse the product”. Gave the impression that loads of bloodstained money must have been flying about in the background.
The Saudi money is talking now, and it will wash and silence as it goes.

That was crazy. They had some huge names there, obviously headed by their little toy Cristiano Ronaldo. Eminem, Kanye and loads of rappers. Almost every relevant name in boxing and UFC they could get over. All definitely would have received a big fee to be there.

Desperate for attention, but just nobody mention their human rights records or Yemen.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: November 3, 2023, 04:11:25 pm »
That was crazy. They had some huge names there, obviously headed by their little toy Cristiano Ronaldo. Eminem, Kanye and loads of rappers. Almost every relevant name in boxing and UFC they could get over. All definitely would have received a big fee to be there.

Desperate for attention, but just nobody mention their human rights records or Yemen.

It's about expanding their soft power and influence, not covering up their human rights records.

They are a very powerful state.

They know all sport is driven by money, so here they are.

Offline vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #625 on: November 3, 2023, 04:27:05 pm »

yep. Only positive was they seem to not like Ronaldo - lots of boos when his mug was on screen. Not sure what was the backstory to that. Maybe everyone hates his plastic persona?

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #626 on: November 3, 2023, 04:59:07 pm »
We will never win the right to host a WC ever, because the soft c*nts in UK/Europe can't handle having to wake up early or stay up late for games for a couple of weeks. I've been doing it for 16 bloody years and I'm not alone!

Still corrupt as hell though, but after Qatar it seems no one cares any more. Mission accomplished.

I’m almost certain Japan hosted a world cup
Believer

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #627 on: November 3, 2023, 11:37:58 pm »

Australia hosted one about 3 months ago too...
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: November 4, 2023, 03:17:56 am »

Yeah, I was working in London at the time and the whines are still ringing in my ears :P I  remember watching England-Brazil in a big meeting room at work then going to the pub, it was fun. Having my mental alarm go off at 3.30am for Liverpool at Sheffield United, not so much!

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: November 4, 2023, 05:14:13 pm »
"Saudi Arabia Eyes Stake in $30 Billion Indian Cricket League. MBS’s advisers have spoken to Indian govt officials about deal Saudi Arabia has proposed investing up to $5 billion in IPL." - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-03/saudi-arabia-eyes-stake-in-indian-premier-league-ipl-cricket-tournament#xj4y7vzkg

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: November 7, 2023, 04:37:45 pm »
"The Media Bill, published in draft form earlier this year, will scrap a never-enacted rule forcing media companies to pay the legal bills of people who sue them, even if they win"

This is probably why the media were reticent to bring up some issues. No excuse now.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: November 14, 2023, 04:49:54 pm »
What is going on with Newcastle at the moment (around Nevez) is so important because how issues like this are dealt with, if not properly, threaten to blow a hole through competitive football given that FFP is the only thing stopping Newcastle from leaping over what still remains relatively competitive (despite City having already blown a hole through the system)

Given unlimited resources, 4 intermediary teams with the same ownership and unlimited resources, unless something is done to prevent Saudi Arabia from buying the English game wholesale, via Newcastle.

I 've already raised how the loan system can be used to get around FFP, the transfer system is open to similar loopholes (buy at inflated prices to Saudi clubs then sell or loan at reduced prices to Newcastle, take Newcastle's unwanted at inflated prices etc.)

City broke the rules and have so far remain unpunished.

1. Rules need tightening to avoid abuse
2. Those who break the rules require sufficiently harsh punishment (ie not financial, it has no impact) to prevent repeat and warn off others.
3. It cannot be retrospective, this needs addressing now.

Newcastle's injury problems and loss of form mean their trajectory has been halted and they only have recourse to spending to get them back on track, now is the time to ensure cooking the books is out of the question.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: November 17, 2023, 12:35:17 am »
https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1725195596653293673

Exclusive: Saudi oil giant Aramco set to become major Fifa sponsor.

Comes after Saudi Arabia confirmed as only bid for 2034 World Cup.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #633 on: November 17, 2023, 01:06:06 am »
I think FIFA need a good looking at, not sure who is able to do this but they are, without doubt, totally corrupt now, bought off by oil money totally.
Saudi's are not daft, stick the money at the top of the pile, everthing else follows.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #634 on: November 17, 2023, 02:45:14 am »
I think FIFA need a good looking at, not sure who is able to do this but they are, without doubt, totally corrupt now, bought off by oil money totally.
Saudi's are not daft, stick the money at the top of the pile, everthing else follows.

Haven’t the FBI investigated them previously, isn’t that what led to Blatter and some of the others being ditched?
Not saying they shouldn’t be looked at again mind, they seem more corrupt than ever
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: November 17, 2023, 09:07:46 am »
Haven’t the FBI investigated them previously, isn’t that what led to Blatter and some of the others being ditched?
Not saying they shouldn’t be looked at again mind, they seem more corrupt than ever

At least with Blatter they actually tried to cover up the corruption. Now it's just in plain sight and no one who matters seemingly gives a shit.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Online oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #636 on: November 17, 2023, 12:19:12 pm »

'Saudi state oil giant to become Fifa’s biggest-paying sponsor':-

Deal could be worth up to £84 million a year and comes after nation was given free run to host 2034 World Cup

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/saudi-arabian-oil-giant-aramco-to-become-major-fifa-sponsor-pmrs8g6vm - or in full and free, here: https://archive.li/chRiW

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #637 on: November 17, 2023, 01:14:09 pm »
Football's imo always been rife with seedy operators and has had long traditions with it's mafia-like run ruling bodies (UEFA,FIFA) but with the despotic governments getting in now who can influence even governments to put pressure on getting the rulings they want it's really becoming at least for me to have feeling of a wholly dirty sport at the top levels.

Can't stand the blatant commercialism and monetization of absolutely everything of the various main American sports but have found myself watching these more and more recently as they feel a lot cleaner now than football.

Other than watching us the sport of football has lost most of it's interest and magic for me,c'est la vie i guess.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: November 17, 2023, 01:53:28 pm »
So Saudi effectively gets awarded the World Cup and a huge sponsorship deals follows. Nothing dodgy about that at all.

Funny what people will do for money, almost like they can take it to their grave.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #639 on: November 17, 2023, 02:13:40 pm »
2 'Huge' boxing cards in December and February as well