Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 170326 times)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #1281 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:35 pm »
Letter to the President.

https://i.postimg.cc/FH7dFGwc/cc2a408505f71f5c.png

Crazy. People actually voted for Ron Hanks somewhere along the line.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1282 on: September 15, 2021, 10:15:08 pm »
Wtf Biden just forgot the name of Australia’s prime minister in a joint press conference about a joint nuclear submarine capability. He is sooo old. It’s sad to see really.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1283 on: September 15, 2021, 10:19:06 pm »
Wtf Biden just forgot the name of Australia’s prime minister in a joint press conference about a joint nuclear submarine capability. He is sooo old. It’s sad to see really.

And?  Probably 95% or more of Americans don't even know who it is nor do they care.  What we want is for him to make our lives better and stop getting fucked over by R's.  He gets Sinema and Manchin to stop being beholden to their corporate donors and passes reconciliation and we should be building him a statue whether he's senile or not.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1284 on: September 15, 2021, 10:29:53 pm »
And?  Probably 95% or more of Americans don't even know who it is nor do they care.  What we want is for him to make our lives better and stop getting fucked over by R's.  He gets Sinema and Manchin to stop being beholden to their corporate donors and passes reconciliation and we should be building him a statue whether he's senile or not.
you are still In year 1 of a 4 year term. The guy is clearly senile. I suspect it could end badly - and the result could effect future elections.

Either way my point is, it’s embarrassing him and trump was the best you could find, to fight it out for the presidency.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #1285 on: September 15, 2021, 10:46:26 pm »
you are still In year 1 of a 4 year term. The guy is clearly senile. I suspect it could end badly - and the result could effect future elections.

Either way my point is, it’s embarrassing him and trump was the best you could find, to fight it out for the presidency.

Where are you from?  Trump was the best we could find?  Really? I suspect you have no idea what you're talking about.

I just checked the home pages of CNN, WaPo, NYT, CBS and ABC and nothing about him misstating the name of the Scott Morrison is on any of their websites.  More that we're now going to give Nuclear powered attack submarines to Australia.  Gotta give that ol' Defense Industrial Complex something to do after Afghanistan I guess....

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1286 on: September 15, 2021, 11:07:22 pm »

Why do you think he's senile? slow finding the right words. loosing his track when side tracked.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1287 on: September 15, 2021, 11:27:39 pm »

Probably done deliberately given Morrison is a Trump wannabe.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1288 on: September 16, 2021, 01:57:29 pm »

You a doctor?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #1290 on: October 6, 2021, 01:31:14 am »
The Washington Post
What Joe Manchin wants, decoded
Paul Kane  2 hrs ago

Liberal Democrats saw a small victory last week on top of delaying the vote on the bipartisan infrastructure plan: They drew out one of the holdouts on a separate spending bill — the one they most want and that will require only Democratic votes — to declare his top-line figure on the cost.

Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) disclosed to members of his caucus that the number is $1.5 trillion, far below the $3.5 trillion the liberals wanted to spend.

But the disagreement over top-line funding hides what could be a much bigger fight about the programs in the bill. We also learned about a memo, dated July 28 and first reported by Politico last week, from Manchin to Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), in which he outlined his priorities on the spending bill beyond the dollar figure. The specifics there and in his recent statements telegraph more difficulties ahead for Democrats.

The memo, which you can see in full here, is a one-page, double-spaced list written in a rudimentary fashion, with a heavy dose of Senate jargon.

It’s worth decoding six items on his list to understand what Manchin, whose vote is necessary to pass any party-line proposal in the 50-50 Senate, wants and doesn’t want. These also show us where it could be hardest to get to a final deal.

1. No new programs
“No additional handouts outs or transfer payments” is the line in the memo that sets up perhaps the biggest standoff to come for Democrats.

Liberals have known since August that they might have to slash the overall cost of their proposal, and most expected they could just shorten the length of the ambitious programs they would authorize.

House Majority Whip James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.), who supports expanding Medicaid to help the working poor access health insurance in Republican-led states, says he would accept just three to five years of that expansion, so that the proposal would be cheaper in the 10-year estimate of its cost.

Same with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and his proposal to expand Medicare’s benefits for the elderly to include vision, dental and hearing benefits. The dental side of that expansion would take five years to set up and, therefore, cost less in that 10-year window.

But Manchin is opposed to new programs like that because he has expressed concern that the initial estimate from the Congressional Budget Office will never fully capture their true cost. He rejects estimates from Sanders about the overall cost of the plan being less than $2 trillion from all the tax revenue that would be raised to finance his ambitions.

“It costs $5 [trillion] or $6 trillion by the time he gets done with it, because those programs will never go away,” Manchin told reporters Wednesday.

He recalled how in 2017, when Republicans controlled every lever of power, they could not repeal the Affordable Care Act despite seven years of promises to do so. The same will happen to any attempt to rip away Medicare or Medicaid benefits, the thinking goes, turning them into permanent programs.

If Manchin sticks to this approach, it could spell doom for the biggest liberal goals in the legislation, such as universal pre-K, free community college and up to 12 weeks of federally guaranteed paid family and medical leave.

As he put it in a formal statement released Wednesday, “Spending trillions more on new and expanded government programs, when we can’t even pay for the essential social programs, like Social Security and Medicare, is the definition of fiscal insanity.”

2. He wants the spending to be more targeted to benefit low-income Americans
“Needs based with means testing guardrails/formulas on new spending” is a jumble of bureaucrat speak, but those words formed the foundation of Manchin’s concerns about the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan (ARP) that he ultimately supported in March, a massive bill designed to help with the pandemic recovery that passed with only Democratic votes.

Manchin has said he would approve extending many of those benefits, but only if they are curbed for upper-income beneficiaries.

“Any expansion of social programs must be targeted to those in need,” he said in his formal statement.

The child tax credit, part of the ARP, has grown to monthly payments of up to $300 per child, lifting millions of children out of poverty. It might be the most popular piece of the rescue plan, and Manchin loves the plan, up to a certain point.

In his talk with reporters Wednesday, he discussed how families in West Virginia earning more than $150,000, more than triple the state’s median family income, were receiving the child tax benefit.

If he were to support expanded benefits to the elderly, possibly through Medicare, he wants to cut them off to avoid giving the benefit to the rich.

Sanders and his allies, however, have based many of their proposals on the idea of near-universal benefits, to spread them into as many income areas as possible to increase their political popularity.

Manchin is adamantly against that.

3. He wants to bolster his own control over energy regulations
“Sole ENR jurisdiction on any clean energy standard” might be the most insider of insider demands in the July 28 memo.

Simply put, Manchin wants to be fully in control of any new mandates or regulations of the coal and energy industry that has fueled his state’s economy for more than a century. ENR stands for Energy and Natural Resources Committee — the panel whose chairman is none other than Manchin.

He opposes any new energy standards falling under the control of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, which has traditionally been dominated by coastal liberals hostile to coal- and energy-producing states.

4. He’s on board with paying for the plan by raising taxes on the wealthy
“Offsets Conditions” is Manchin speak for taxes, the revenue Democrats want to raise to finance their sweeping plan. And on this, the senator from a rural state with high poverty is actually a bit closer to most of his Democratic colleagues than on the other proposals.

“The one thing, you understand, that all Democrats agreed on — and there’s not a whole lot we all agree on, right — the 2017 tax cuts were unfair and weighted to the high end. Let’s fix that,” Manchin told reporters last week.

He supports raising the top rate to 39.6 percent, as proposed, and wants the top capital gains rate to move to 28 percent, up from 20 percent.

He supports a top corporate tax rate of 25 percent, which is only slightly lower than the original Democratic proposal of 26.5 percent.

5. He wants Congress to step in on ‘easy money’ — but that’s not its job
“Federal Reserve ends quantitative easing” is a line that has received little attention but should raise alarms in Democratic circles. Manchin placed it in bold near the very top of his memo to Schumer.

He is demanding President Biden and Democratic leaders achieve something that is beyond their reach and that they are forbidden from doing: forcing the independent Federal Reserve to stop its policy of encouraging low interest rates, which started in the wake of the 2008 Wall Street implosion.

This “easy money” policy has remained in effect since the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the economy.

In late August, Fed Chair Jerome H. Powell indicated the reserve board would begin to taper its monetary policy later this year but wants to continue to see employment rebound. Powell has not been as alarmed as Manchin, and many Republicans, about signs of inflation as the nations moves out of the pandemic.

Manchin’s demand is something that simply cannot be met by Biden or Schumer or anyone other than the full membership of the Federal Reserve Board. It’s an independent board that was constructed to be immune from political pressure.

Demands like this are why every liberal should fear the final line of Manchin’s July 28 memo.

6. He left himself an escape hatch
Manchin put the last line of his memo in bold: “Senator Manchin does not guarantee that he will vote for the final reconciliation legislation if it exceeds the conditions outlined in this agreement.”

Basically, unless every demand is met, he has given himself an excuse to vote against the plan.

That’s why the focus on the top line has missed so much. Yes, Manchin says he wants to spend only $1.5 trillion, but maybe he can be talked into $2 trillion or more, given that he has already voted for so many trillions of dollars in pandemic relief funds.

But those policy differences stack up to be the biggest hurdle yet to getting his vote. And he has set up an escape hatch to oppose the legislation if a single one of his demands is not met.

After Politico unearthed the memo, Manchin summoned the congressional press corps outside the Capitol.

He went through his political history, serving in a couple of statewide offices in West Virginia, including governor, and winning in a state where Donald Trump’s margins of victory were 42 and 39 percentage points.

“I’ve never been a liberal in any way, shape or form,” Manchin said, explaining there was one clear way for liberals to advance their agenda.

“All they need to do is, we have to elect more liberals.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/what-joe-manchin-wants-decoded/ar-AAPaKnB?li=BBnb7Kz
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1291 on: October 6, 2021, 01:44:27 am »
Letter to the President.

He's sponsored 2 bills.

Most recent to repeal the law against large capacity ammo magazines.

Prick.
Kill the humourless

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1292 on: October 6, 2021, 07:09:40 am »

Ah yes, fuck the rest of the world. The classic American view.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1293 on: October 6, 2021, 10:43:34 pm »
Ah yes, fuck the rest of the world. The classic American view.

:lmao Jesus - if you have that much animosity to Americans this may not be the thread for you.

Dare I confess to not knowing (or caring) what the Australian PM's name is either? It just doesn't feel that relevant and there's only so much information I can retain.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1294 on: October 7, 2021, 09:15:24 am »
He's sponsored 2 bills.

Most recent to repeal the law against large capacity ammo magazines.

Prick.

The best way to get rid of Manchin is to win other senate seats and make him irrelevant. He may as well caucus with the republicans because he does their work for them. As for Sinema she should be primaried ASAP. It`s obvious that both of them are in the pockets of corporate donors and they don`t care what their actual constituents want, as is shown by local polling. Even deep red WV wants the majority of Biden`s policies.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1295 on: October 7, 2021, 02:02:30 pm »
:lmao Jesus - if you have that much animosity to Americans this may not be the thread for you.

Dare I confess to not knowing (or caring) what the Australian PM's name is either? It just doesn't feel that relevant and there's only so much information I can retain.

I was being somewhat sarcastic but seem to have hit a nerve somehow.  Sincere apologies.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1296 on: October 7, 2021, 03:14:22 pm »
The best way to get rid of Manchin is to win other senate seats and make him irrelevant. He may as well caucus with the republicans because he does their work for them. As for Sinema she should be primaried ASAP. It`s obvious that both of them are in the pockets of corporate donors and they don`t care what their actual constituents want, as is shown by local polling. Even deep red WV wants the majority of Biden`s policies.

Fantasy.
Kill the humourless

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1297 on: October 7, 2021, 03:49:05 pm »
Fantasy.

Do you think?

Possibly a fond one.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1298 on: October 7, 2021, 06:59:33 pm »
Go on, Joe. Mint the trillion dollar coin.  With a bit of luck, it will give Mitch a brain haemorrhage. (I'd say heart attack, but we know he doesn't have one.)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1299 on: October 7, 2021, 07:36:26 pm »
I was being somewhat sarcastic but seem to have hit a nerve somehow.  Sincere apologies.

Ah the old switcheroo. I'm not angry, you're the one who is angry! Flawless execution

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1300 on: October 8, 2021, 01:34:12 am »
Ah the old switcheroo. I'm not angry, you're the one who is angry! Flawless execution

Yes I was fuming that an old man forgot a fuckwits name.  Couldn't contain my anger and it came boiling out.  I would love to be able to forget Morrison's name but sadly don't have that luxury.

Mate it was a sarcastic response about a weird reaction to a pretty innocuous observation that it's not great for a national leader to forget another national leaders name during a press conference with them present.

« Last Edit: October 8, 2021, 01:41:41 am by leroy »

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1301 on: October 10, 2021, 03:08:16 pm »
Watch 'Confirmation': the story of Anita Hill and how Clarence Uncle Thomas displaced and continues to disgrace the memory and work of the great Thurgood Marshall.

I watched her testify and have never seen a greater example of grace, intelligence, and integrity.

It's good insight into Biden and Senate wranglings, too.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1302 on: October 12, 2021, 03:16:32 am »
CNN
Opinion: The most alarming Trump rally yet
Dean Obeidallah  1 hr ago

While Donald Trump has held several rallies since the January 6 Capitol insurrection, his rally in Iowa Saturday was the most alarming by far.

At Trump's past post-presidency events, you wouldn't find the state's leading GOP officials attending en masse. In fact, at a rally in Georgia last month, Trump railed against the state's Republican leaders for refusing to assist him in illegally overturning the 2020 election. Trump even told the crowd he'd prefer potential Democratic challenger Stacey Abrams as governor over his fellow Republican who's currently in office, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp.

Saturday's rally in Iowa, though, was different. This one was attended by longtime Iowa US Sen. Chuck Grassley, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds, Iowa Reps. Mariannette Miller-Meeks and Ashley Hinson, and other mainstream Republican officials. Some of these very same people, who just nine months ago were slamming Trump for his role in the Capitol riots, were now only too happy to be seen supporting him. This is politics at its worst -- and at its most dangerous for our democracy.

The most hypocritical of the bunch is Sen. Grassley, who on January 6 was escorted by his security detail to a secure location to protect him from the pro-Trump mob that had laid siege on the Capitol. Grassley, who voted to certify the 2020 election, made a veiled reference to Trump in his statement, noting that the lawsuits filed after the election had failed and that "politicians in Washington should not second guess the courts once they have ruled."

In February, however, after Trump's impeachment trial for allegedly inciting the January 6 insurrection (allegations which Trump has denied), Grassley was even more direct with his criticism. He said in a statement that "President Trump continued to argue that the election had been stolen even though the courts didn't back up his claims," and "belittled and harassed elected officials across the country to get his way." Grassley added that Trump "encouraged his own, loyal vice president, Mike Pence, to take extraordinary and unconstitutional actions during the Electoral College count."

Grassley continued bluntly: "There's no doubt in my mind that President Trump's language was extreme, aggressive, and irresponsible," sharing his view that all involved in the attack -- including Trump -- "must take responsibility for their destructive actions that day."

Flash forward to Saturday, and there was Grassley beaming as Trump offered a "complete and total endorsement for re-election" for the 88-year-old Senator. Grassley responded, "If I didn't accept the endorsement of a person that's got 91 percent of the Republican voters in Iowa, I wouldn't be too smart."

To Grassley, it was "smart" to accept the endorsement of the man who spent Saturday's rally spouting the same falsehoods that led to the January 6 violence that caused Grassley to hide in fear. Trump's litany of dangerous election lies at his Iowa rally ranged from irresponsible claims he won Wisconsin "by a lot" in 2020, to lying that the results of the recently released Arizona audit support his false claim that he had actually won that state. He even declared that, "First of all, [Biden] didn't get elected, OK?" The crowd responded to Trump's buffet of lies by chanting, "Trump won! Trump won!"

But Grassley wasn't alone in his duplicity. Also attending the rally was GOP Rep. Ashley Hinson, who had released a statement on January 13 about the Capitol attack, saying, "I believe the President bears responsibility, and that is why I urged him personally to call off those who were violently storming the Capitol last week." Hinson added, "I wish he had spoken up sooner, but he did not."

Yet her view of Trump's role in the January 6 act of domestic terrorism, as the FBI has classified it, did not stop Hinson from attending Saturday's rally. Nor did the fact that, just days earlier, the Senate had released a 400-page report titled "Subverting Justice," about Trump's efforts to utilize the Department of Justice to help him illegally overturn the 2020 election. In fact, none of Iowa's elected GOP officials who attended the rally appeared to be concerned that Trump had asked the Justice Department nine times to undermine the election results in what appears to some to be an attempted coup.

You don't need to be a historian to recognize the danger in a political party showing blind loyalty to one person. These GOP elected officials just several months ago rightly criticized Trump and his role in the false election claims that led to the January 6 attack. With their presence at his rally this weekend, it seems they've now changed their tune.

Perhaps they now agree with Trump's lies. But it's more likely their flip-flop comes from recent polls showing that 91% of Republicans in Iowa view Trump favorably. That, and not wanting to face the wrath of Trump, like Georgia Gov. Kemp, Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney and other Republicans who have dared to speak truthfully about the election.

But who knows what Trump whim will be the next litmus test for remaining in his good graces? When even Grassley, Iowa's longest-serving US senator, thinks it's "smart" politics to no longer criticize Trump for his un-American attack on our democracy and instead praise him in a pursuit of an eighth term in the Senate, it's clear that the party is no longer defined by policy ideas but by absolute loyalty to Trump and his influence. To put it bluntly, today's GOP is how democracies die.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/opinion-the-most-alarming-trump-rally-yet/ar-AAPlDvi?li=BBnb7Kz
Kill the humourless

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1303 on: October 12, 2021, 07:49:33 am »
I assumed wrongly Biden’s administration would’ve taken Trump out of the picture pending an ongoing investigation, ie Chuck him in jail.  Guilty until proven innocent in his case.

Tried to overthrow a democratically elected government and remains free to traipse around the country to carry on grifting and spreading dangerous lies.  It’s insane.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1304 on: October 12, 2021, 06:45:50 pm »
The LA Times
Column: A third party to impose some pain on the Trumpified GOP
Jonah Goldberg  7 hrs ago

In 2020, many on the right had modest hopes for President Biden.

The hope hinged on the not implausible theory that he would govern as a centrist because that’s how he campaigned. Biden did markedly better than Hillary Clinton’s 2016 performance with Republican-friendly constituencies. Indeed, 7% of 2016 Republican Trump voters defected to Biden in 2020. Even Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), caught on hidden camera, admitted that Trump-hostile Republicans delivered Wisconsin to Biden, even as they voted for other Republicans on the ballot.

After Biden won, the evenly split Senate and a House with a very small Democratic margin, combined with widespread disgust with Trump’s post-election schemes, raised hopes for Biden’s centrism. Some even argued that disaffected Republicans should essentially join the Democratic Party. “Why shouldn’t anti-Trump Republicans at least consider becoming a kind-of-Old-Republican wing of Joe Biden’s Democratic party?” asked Bill Kristol, a proudly anti-Trump conservative.

Fast-forward several months. Biden has not governed from the center. If you think he has, great. We can argue about that another time. But going by the polls and focus groups, a lot of right-of-center voters don’t see it that way. Which is why Democrats are facing a midterm bloodbath.

Moreover, the rift caused by Trump’s Capitol riot has largely closed in Trump’s favor. Most elected Republicans no longer denounce his election lies and refuse to tell the truth about Biden’s victory. Worse yet, the GOP establishment is turning a blind eye to state-level efforts to pave the way for Trump to circumvent the popular vote should he run in 2024.

In response to all this, many anti-Trump Republicans want to double down on the vote-for-Democrats gambit. Liberal Republican Christine Todd Whitman and Miles Taylor (the “Anonymous” former Trump administration critic) argue in the New York Times that “Rational Republicans are losing the G.O.P. civil war. And the only near-term way to battle pro-Trump extremists is for all of us to team up on key races and overarching political goals with our longtime political opponents: the Democratic Party.”

The only problem: It won’t work. Asking right-of-center voters to vote for Democratic senators and representatives who take the opposite positions on abortion, guns, foreign policy, and tax-and-spending issues for “democracy’s sake” is a heavy lift, even if you can convince them that democracy is really at stake. Biden has made that lift far heavier by making it clear that he wants right-of-center voters to compromise on everything, while he compromises on little or nothing.

Perhaps there’s another way. The primary system is the GOP’s Achilles' heel because it makes a mere plurality of the vote a de facto majority of the vote. A recent Pew survey found that 44% of Republicans want Trump to run again. As 2016 showed, that’s more than enough to win the nomination in a crowded field. The same dynamic explains why Republican congressional candidates kowtow to Trump — they’re afraid of his primary voters. And right now, there is no countervailing pressure within the party.

So why not create pressure outside of it? Specifically, a third party with a simple, Reaganite conservative platform combined with a serious plank to defend the soundness of elections? For simplicity’s sake, think of it as a GOP minus the Trump personality cult.

If a Republican candidate met its requirements, a new party of the right could endorse the Republican, the way New York’s Conservative Party does. If not, a non-Trumpy candidate could play the role of spoiler by garnering enough conservative votes in the general election to throw the election to the Democrat.

I have always been — and remain — a skeptic of third parties, because they punish the party they have the most in common with. The historian Richard Hofstadter famously quipped that “Third parties are like bees: once they have stung, they die.”

But in this scenario, that’s a feature, not a bug. The point is to cause the GOP some pain for its descent into asininity. Giving conservatives turned off by both the Democrats and the Trumpified GOP a way to vote their conscience in the general election would put political pressure on Republican candidates to curtail their Trump sycophancy. It would also serve to remind the GOP that if you abandon conservative principles, conservatives might abandon you.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/column-a-third-party-to-impose-some-pain-on-the-trumpified-gop/ar-AAPpJ79?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL

I'll believe it if you will.
Kill the humourless

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1305 on: October 12, 2021, 09:05:06 pm »
The question is whether a third party could gain enough leverage in both houses to break the current deadlock, or would they simply continue it?

The infrastructure bill is popular amongst Republican voters, but as long as McConnell commands the GOP there will never be bipartisan support for it.  As I understand it, even under Trump, the Democrats never opposed raising the debt ceiling, but McConnell does for the sake of being obstructionist.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1306 on: October 13, 2021, 02:00:24 pm »
Business Insider
Rep. Adam Schiff says it's 'unthinkable' to imagine what might happen if the US is 'forced to suffer another 4 years under Donald Trump'
ssheth@businessinsider.com (Sonam Sheth) - Yesterday 11:18 AM

Adam Schiff said he "cannot imagine" what would happen if the US were "forced to suffer" another Trump presidency.
He told Insider the prospect of Trump running again in 2024 and winning is "unthinkable."

He also said the most "astonishing" part of Trump's rise to power is how many Republicans capitulated to him.
The lawmaker who led then-President Donald Trump's first impeachment proceedings said he "cannot imagine" what will happen in the US if Trump runs for election in 2024 and wins.

"I cannot imagine what this country would look like if it were forced to suffer another four years under Donald Trump," Rep. Adam Schiff, the chairman of the House Intelligence Commitee, told Insider in an interview. "He's already done irrevocable damage to the country."

Schiff added that "we will recover from this presidency, but it will take years. Should the country have to go through that again, I just can't imagine what our democracy will look like. It's unthinkable. Every effort must be made to make sure that it never comes to pass."

Schiff's book, "Midnight in Washington: How We Lost Our Democracy and Still Could," was released on Tuesday. In his memoir, the California Democrat details at length his early life and professional background; how witnessing nationalism and xenophobic populism in eastern Europe in the 1990s prepared him for Trump's rise to power; and how he went from a relatively low-profile congressman on the intelligence committee to the Republican Party's bete noire in four years.

Schiff highlighted the widening schism between Democrats and Republicans on the House Intelligence Committee - a historically bipartisan panel - following Trump's ascent to the Oval Office, and how he steered the committee in a different direction after becoming chairman in early 2019.

Under Schiff's leadership, the intelligence committee took center stage in investigating Trump's personal life and businesses, and conducting his first impeachment inquiry in connection to the president's dealings with Ukraine ahead of the 2020 election.

Schiff on Tuesday told Insider that watching Trump's rise to power carried "disturbing echoes of the past" for him. He was referring to his time living in Czechoslovakia in the early 1990s and witnessing the rise of the populist autocrat Vladimir Meciar.

Meciar "literally helped tear the country apart, and the country split while I was there," Schiff recalled, referring to the 1993 split that led to Slovakia and the Czech Republic. "Fast forward to the rise of Donald Trump, who played on many of the same xenophobic populist themes, what surprised me is how many of my Republican colleagues would go along with that."

"How many of them would sacrifice everything they believed in, their ideology, their party's ideology, their morality in the service of this deeply flawed, unethical human being," Schiff told Insider. "And how Donald Trump would in four short years completely remake one of America's two great parties in his image. That was astonishing. It still is."

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/rep-adam-schiff-says-its-unthinkable-to-imagine-what-might-happen-if-the-us-is-forced-to-suffer-another-4-years-under-donald-trump/ar-AAPqtdE?li=BBnb7Kz
Kill the humourless

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1307 on: October 13, 2021, 05:14:57 pm »
The Democratic "progressives" in the House rightfully took the decision to withhold support for the bipartisan infrastructure bill that had already passed the Senate because they were worried about what the likes of Manchin and Sinema would do to the reconciliation bill after they knew they had their bipartisan bill in the bag.

However now, it seems in part because the progressives have lost their nerve, they're now being complicit in what they feared would happen to the reconciliation bill. In terms of the overall price tag, they'd already come down from 6 trillion dollars to 3.5t and now Jayapal is not ruling out going as low as 1.9t. This is despite Sinema and Manchin not specifying what amount they'd be comfortable with. Manchin has also made comments regarding the policies within the bill i.e. wanting to avoid an "entitlement society" and on climate change that may drag that 1.9t down even further.

As well as it leading to the substantial watering down of Biden's economic agenda, it's not good to see the Dem caucus roll over so easy to Manchin/Sinema when there's even bigger issues they need to try and pressure them to support/break the filibuster on, such as the debt ceiling, abortion and voting rights.

Offline Mimi

• Maguire!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1308 on: October 21, 2021, 07:11:06 am »
Today every Republican senator voted not to even allow the debate on the Freedom to Vote Act. Earlier not one Republican member of the House (including Cheney and Kinzinger, who are being lauded for their views on January 6th) voted in favour of John Lewis voting Rights Act. There is no bipartisan support for voting rights, yet the Democrats will still not reform the filibuster to ensure protection of voting rights.  The Republicans who support Trump are delusional. But the ones who pretend to be outraged at January 6, but who will not vote in favour of voting rights legislation are worse.
"And Israeli aggression will continue unabated. BDS. Armed struggle. Peace talks. Protests. Tweets. Social media. Poetry. All are terror in Israel’s books.” Refaat Alareer
https://www.youtube.com/@refaatalareer9499

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1309 on: October 21, 2021, 12:31:18 pm »
The Washington Post
All eyes on Manchin after Republicans again block voting rights legislation
Mike DeBonis  17 hrs ago

Democrats’ months-long drive for muscular new federal voting rights legislation hit a new roadblock Wednesday, with options for progress dwindling as Senate Republicans remained united in blocking debate on the issue.

Outwardly, key lawmakers and advocates have continued to elevate the political stakes, calling federal legislation essential to protecting American democracy from the efforts of Republican state legislatures and election officials to restrict voting access following former president Donald Trump’s false claims of rampant fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

“If there’s anything worthy of the Senate’s attention, if there’s any issue that merits debate on this floor, it’s protecting our democracy from the forces that are trying to unravel it from the inside out,” Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday.

But the realities of the Senate — with a razor-thin Democratic majority and a united Republican minority empowered by the long-standing filibuster rule requiring a 60-vote supermajority to advance most legislation — continue to make progress difficult and wholly dependent on the willingness of key Democratic senators to change their views on modifying the Senate’s rules.

Wednesday’s vote, which would have paved the way for a floor debate on voting rights, failed 51 to 49, with 60 votes needed to advance the legislation. For procedural reasons, Schumer joined all 50 Republicans in voting no.

The vote was meant, in part, to demonstrate the depth of the Republican opposition to one of the holdouts over changing the filibuster rule, Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.), who played a leading role in crafting a narrower alternative to the sprawling bill that Senate Republicans blocked in June.

[Revised Democratic voting bill drops controversial provisions, tweaks others as pressure for action mounts]
The new bill, called the Freedom to Vote Act, keeps some provisions of the earlier bill, including national standards for early voting and vote-by-mail, new disclosure requirements for “dark money” groups and the establishment of Election Day as a federal holiday. But it also discards or scales back controversial provisions such as a reworking of the Federal Election Commission, a major new public financing system for congressional elections and a mandate for nonpartisan redistricting commissions. It also omits major revisions to the ethics regime for federal officeholders.

The procedural vote Wednesday came after Manchin spent the past month wooing Republican colleagues — including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — to support it. Yet no Senate Republican emerged before Wednesday to support the bill — let alone the 10 needed to join Democrats to start debate on it.

McConnell on Wednesday said the GOP remains steadfastly against any federal legislation and accused Democrats of trying to “truss up the same takeover with new trappings.”

“The same rotten core is all still there,” he said, denouncing provisions of the bill that would impose new federal mandates on state election practices, an argument that has won a broad following among even the most moderate GOP senators.

Now Manchin is facing new pressure to sketch out a path around the continued Republican opposition — the culmination of a months-long process designed by Democratic leaders to demonstrate that there is no bipartisanship to be had on the voting rights issue.

“Joe Manchin has been given all summer to both draft and negotiate this bill,” said Meagan Hatcher-Mays, director of democracy for the Indivisible network of liberal activists. “He is the one who holds the key as to whether or not this bill will actually pass. So the question for Joe Manchin [on Wednesday] is, are you going to show more loyalty to our democracy and our country? Or are you going to show more loyalty to an arcane Senate rule that is arbitrarily blocking your own legislation from being passed?”

Sen. Raphael G. Warnock (D-Ga.), who faces reelection next year in a state where GOP legislators have tightened voting laws, put it more diplomatically on Tuesday. “It’s urgent. The clock is ticking. We need to get this done,” Warnock said.

But it remains unclear how — or if — Manchin will respond. He did not comment or release any statement Wednesday on further steps he would support to advance the legislation, and while he has at times signaled openness to changing the Senate rules to encourage debate, he has firmly and repeatedly opposed the elimination of the filibuster.

Meanwhile, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.), who has long supported new voting rights legislation but opposed changes to the filibuster, has given no indication that she has changed her views. Several other Democratic senators have been less outspoken but still remain wary of eliminating the filibuster entirely while being open to modifications.

Schumer has repeatedly vowed that “failure is not an option” on voting legislation, and he has said Democrats would gather and decide collectively as a caucus on how to proceed with changing Senate rules. But the latest vote comes at an inopportune time for any such discussion.

While many Democratic senators said this week that they consider voting rights to be the most important issue at stake for Congress — or at least one of equivalent importance to President Biden’s Build Back Better economic agenda, which is now crawling across Capitol Hill — the push to deliver on trillions of dollars of domestic policy priorities has clearly taken precedence.

This week, for instance, at least 19 lawmakers traveled to the White House to meet with Biden about clinching a deal to pass the two economic bills — funding infrastructure and the remainder of his domestic agenda. On voting rights, the White House released a statement Tuesday confirming two calls Biden made to senators about voting rights — both of whom already support the legislation — and saying that the administration is pushing for progress “through legislation, executive actions, outreach, the bully pulpit, and all other means available.”

The fact that the same two senators — Manchin and Sinema — are at the center of both the Build Back Better and voting rights struggles has only added to the complications.

“The reality of this world is that Build Back Better will consume massive amounts of oxygen as long as it’s left undone,” said Adam Jentleson, a former senior Senate Democratic aide and an advocate for elimination of the filibuster. “But having this vote, having it fail and showing that there are not 10 Republicans who are willing to come forward and save our democracy is an important and necessary part of the process.”

Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.) acknowledged that the throes of the Build Back Better negotiations are unlikely to be a productive moment for an internal reckoning over the filibuster. But, he said, Democrats are “not going to let it drop.”

“It doesn’t have to happen like right now, like tomorrow afternoon,” he said Tuesday. “But what if we reach an agreement on [Build Back Better] this week? . . . We can also be having a discussion about, hmm, we’re not going to abolish the filibuster, but are there things to restore the Senate as a place that will protect voting rights that we can do?”

Schumer, speaking on the Senate floor after the vote, made no direct mention of Manchin or the filibuster but instead vowed to fight on — comparing the effort to Republican attempts to secure civil rights for people newly freed from slavery after the Civil War.

“Members of this body now face a choice,” he said. “They can follow in the footsteps of our patriotic predecessors in this chamber. Or they can sit by as the fabric of our democracy unravels before our very eyes.”

Across the aisle, there appears to be little concern that Manchin or Sinema is at risk of changing their minds to advance voting rights legislation.

McConnell and other Republicans have shown some concern that the moderate duo might move under some circumstances to undermine the filibuster, which has driven decisions by some Republicans to embrace a bipartisan infrastructure deal this summer and to retreat from a high-stakes confrontation on the federal debt ceiling earlier this month. But they say they remain confident that neither Democrat will undermine the filibuster to pass voting rights legislation.

“We take him at his word — the filibuster’s safe,” said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) of Manchin.

Whether or not Manchin or Sinema can be persuaded to change their minds on the Senate rules, Democrats are under immense pressure to keep hope alive — because of political pressure from their base, the potential impact of state voting law changes on the 2022 elections and beyond and the continued stream of false claims of fraud from Trump and his allies.

Yet Democrats are already facing diminishing returns on any legislation that ultimately might be passed. States, for instance, have already launched their decennial redistricting processes, making it increasingly difficult — if not impossible — to impose new federal line-drawing guidelines ahead of next year’s election. And with every day that passes, it becomes more difficult to impose other national voting mandates as state and local election officials gear up for the coming primary and general elections.

But multiple lawmakers and advocates said they had no choice but to fight despite the long odds of success. Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) called it a “job requirement” for Democrats.

“Whether or not we have a viable pathway to getting this or any bill passed, if you aren’t waking up every day and working on improving our democracy, you are going to rue the day when it falls,” he said. “Maybe we get a bill passed. Maybe we don’t. But by working on it every week, we’re translating a value to the American public about how much we think democracy is under threat.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/all-eyes-on-manchin-after-republicans-again-block-voting-rights-legislation/ar-AAPKYoZ?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531
Kill the humourless

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1310 on: October 21, 2021, 10:13:43 pm »
Today every Republican senator voted not to even allow the debate on the Freedom to Vote Act. Earlier not one Republican member of the House (including Cheney and Kinzinger, who are being lauded for their views on January 6th) voted in favour of John Lewis voting Rights Act. There is no bipartisan support for voting rights, yet the Democrats will still not reform the filibuster to ensure protection of voting rights.  The Republicans who support Trump are delusional. But the ones who pretend to be outraged at January 6, but who will not vote in favour of voting rights legislation are worse.

Last week, Cheney and Kinzinger did not support the bipartisan bill that raised the debt ceiling through to the beginning of December too. Thankfully for them, there's been another vote tonight regarding Steve Bannon which will help to keep some useful idiot Dems swooning over them.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1311 on: October 22, 2021, 07:05:54 pm »
How's he doing? Saw him on City Hall last night came across well.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #1312 on: October 22, 2021, 08:13:15 pm »
Letter to the President.

In the dictionary under yank douchebag, it should say "for example see this guy"

Edit - this guy was at the Jan.6 insurrection.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 08:22:00 pm by stoopid yank »
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #1313 on: October 22, 2021, 08:18:55 pm »
How's he doing? Saw him on City Hall last night came across well.

His approval ratings are in the toilet - something like 37 percent, as bad as the orange one's were. It's because of Afghanistan, higher gas prices, and supply chain issues mainly. Personally, I hold that he inherited all those issues, they were all predicted in 2020, but many Americans are well, ignorant, and think he can snap his fingers to fix these things. Will just take time, imo. We also still have Covid issues mainly because of the anti-vaxx nutters. And they hate any mandates that will of course save their sorry lives. Crazy times. 

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1314 on: October 22, 2021, 10:05:14 pm »
Currently working with an American, and she's totally agast at the state of he country.

Am I right in thinking Manchin is bought and paid for by the coal industry??

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1315 on: October 22, 2021, 11:02:52 pm »
seeing that five of Sinema's advisors have resigned, protesting her obstruction.

Popcorn's Art

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #1316 on: October 22, 2021, 11:37:45 pm »

Yes, and many of his state's voters still work in or depend on the coal industry.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1317 on: October 23, 2021, 12:20:07 am »
Currently working with an American, and she's totally agast at the state of he country.

Manchin's businesses interests include founding the coal brokerage Enersystems - Wikipedia
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1318 on: October 23, 2021, 01:04:54 am »
Not really the comments you want to be throwing out when your own people immediately have to walk back what you said.

At a CNN town hall event, a participant referred to recent reports that China had tested a hypersonic missile. He asked Mr Biden if he could "vow to protect Taiwan", and what he would do to keep up with China's military development.

Mr Biden responded: "Yes and yes." He added there was no need to "worry about whether they're going to be more powerful", because "China, Russia and the rest of the world knows we're the most powerful military in the history of the world".

He was then queried a second time by CNN anchor Anderson Cooper if the US would come to Taiwan's defence in the event of an attack by China. Mr Biden replied: "Yes, we have a commitment to do that."
But a White House spokesman later told some US media outlets that his remarks did not signify a change in policy.
The US has a law which requires it to help Taiwan defend itself.

But it pursues a policy of "strategic ambiguity," where it is deliberately vague about what it would actually do if China were to attack Taiwan.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1319 on: October 23, 2021, 08:41:13 pm »
Looked like the years are really catching up on him now. The town hall on CNN the other night was a bit of a car crash.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?