Author Topic: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)  (Read 453850 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wrestling Thread (AEW, NJPW, WWE, etc) (*)
« Reply #4320 on: November 29, 2021, 01:00:16 pm »
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Steiner's kid (Bron Breakker) is the one they've earmarked as the one to topple Reigns. He'll be on the main roster before long and might get the Lesnar super push.

The other one I think they've likely got big plans for is Omos, although he's one of those that I think is just too large to be someone you can use in the main event scene.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4321 on: November 29, 2021, 01:30:21 pm »
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Steiner's kid (Bron Breakker) is the one they've earmarked as the one to topple Reigns. He'll be on the main roster before long and might get the Lesnar super push.

The other one I think they've likely got big plans for is Omos, although he's one of those that I think is just too large to be someone you can use in the main event scene.

Omas I see as someone like Braun - a big monster Vince pushes until he doesn't want to anymore, giving him stupider and stupider stuff until finally he's a bit of a laughing stock.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4322 on: November 29, 2021, 01:53:06 pm »
Omas is stiff as fuck. Looks very uncomfortable moving about in the ring. 

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4323 on: November 29, 2021, 03:32:52 pm »
Elias and Owens got way worse than that with their Seattle Basketball team line
https://youtu.be/XigdA6kiLcE?t=75

Amazing.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4324 on: November 29, 2021, 04:43:11 pm »
Spoiler
off to see Fozzy in The Cavern tonight!
[close]
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4325 on: November 29, 2021, 06:36:33 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4326 on: November 29, 2021, 07:31:19 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

What have you become?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #4327 on: December 2, 2021, 02:33:34 pm »
Largely enjoyable Dynamite again this week, but surely another entry in the 'Reasons why nobody likes Cody' chronicles. Fite lost their stream for a few minutes but when it came back he was smacking Andrade with a literal golden shovel, and that ending in the main event was a bit indulgent and OTT, even for me, who was a big fan of everything Cody did for the first 6 months of AEW and have stayed generally supportive since.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4328 on: December 2, 2021, 03:32:51 pm »
Largely enjoyable Dynamite again this week, but surely another entry in the 'Reasons why nobody likes Cody' chronicles. Fite lost their stream for a few minutes but when it came back he was smacking Andrade with a literal golden shovel, and that ending in the main event was a bit indulgent and OTT, even for me, who was a big fan of everything Cody did for the first 6 months of AEW and have stayed generally supportive since.

I generally don't get time to watch full shows and like to pick up the best bits. Been really loving MJF/Punk/Danielson/Darby recently. The stuff with Cody and that finish though, it's why I'm embarrassed to like wrestling at times. This fake stupid shit needs to be away from the main event of their main show.

The wrestlers know everyone is the crowd knows it's fake, we can see the flame retardent on his back, the guy pulling the move takes the main bump, then his arm is on fire and he doesn't even sell it. What was the point? Just laughably bad.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4329 on: December 2, 2021, 05:11:51 pm »
Cody might be doing a super-insider heel turn, but, even if he is, then it is hurting the product.

Sad, because, of all the original elite, he is the one that hit the ground running and a huge reason why AEW is in place.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4330 on: December 2, 2021, 07:37:18 pm »
Cody is a madman but I dunno what his character is right now, he's getting booed in his hometown and he's playing some weird meta tweener while fighting heels.  That flaming table spot was dumb as hell and completely unnecessary.

This Dynamite felt like what it is; transitional and minor feuds while they slowly build to the next PPV.  I never want to see any of the Gunns on the main show again.

The Danielson/Hangman story is perfect though.  Great stuff.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4331 on: December 2, 2021, 08:20:55 pm »
MJF was terrible on commentary too btw.  Didn't put anyone over, and just spammed PG Punk like he had Vince yelling it to him in his ear.  Think this Punk feud is exposing him somewhat.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4332 on: December 2, 2021, 09:21:05 pm »
MJF was terrible on commentary too btw.  Didn't put anyone over, and just spammed PG Punk like he had Vince yelling it to him in his ear.  Think this Punk feud is exposing him somewhat.

I actually think the Punk feud is showing his quality - he is meant to be an annoying shit being one upped by Punk, not a cool heel who people end up liking. If his comments seem a bit too easy shots or annoying, he's doing his job right.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4333 on: December 2, 2021, 09:27:00 pm »
Cody is a madman but I dunno what his character is right now, he's getting booed in his hometown and he's playing some weird meta tweener while fighting heels.  That flaming table spot was dumb as hell and completely unnecessary.

This Dynamite felt like what it is; transitional and minor feuds while they slowly build to the next PPV.  I never want to see any of the Gunns on the main show again.

The Danielson/Hangman story is perfect though.  Great stuff.

It is in a weird spot between major shows, but it feels like something will be built big for the first TBS show (Jan 5th?). Not sure what but big stuff. But otherwise it is just happening - good shows but largely inconsequential

Gunn Club - the only grace I give them is apparently Austin looks like a really really good worker, but he hasn't been involved as of yet. The feud is odd, but I can forgive it all for the shot last week of Darby being a living cannonball.

Cody is weird but I've kinda come to take him as he is - crowds boo him (and will cheer him if he turns so whatever), but he is the face of AEW to the Network and PR, so it's harder to do that and be heel at the same time. He is what he is, but hey at least the matches he had the last 6 months or so have been pretty damn good for building up really great talent (Andrade, Black, PAC, etc)
« Last Edit: December 2, 2021, 09:29:55 pm by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #4334 on: December 3, 2021, 12:31:26 am »
Have only watched highlights but MJF is brilliant. Him and Punk on the mic has been great to see.

I hope MJF comes out on top when they meet. He’s already getting legitimate heat so it’d be good if he ended Punk’s undefeated start.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4335 on: December 3, 2021, 08:48:44 am »

Wonderful at getting cheap heat but I do agree he needs to can it slightly with the edgelord comments.

When Punk said he goes for the 'low hanging fruit', it did make sense.

His commentary was not up with his levels of excellence though. I think more people have missed on the AEW booth than hit.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4336 on: December 3, 2021, 10:49:02 am »
Everything about Bryan Danielson is just the best - an awesome wrestler and a staggeringly good old school heel. Credible, but still a massive coward and hypocrite

The feud with Hangman is straight from the playbook but done perfectly. It's just awesome

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4337 on: December 3, 2021, 11:12:30 am »
Everything about Bryan Danielson is just the best - an awesome wrestler and a staggeringly good old school heel. Credible, but still a massive coward and hypocrite

The feud with Hangman is straight from the playbook but done perfectly. It's just awesome

Danielson is up there with the best of all time for me.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4338 on: December 3, 2021, 11:26:05 am »
Danielson is up there with the best of all time for me.

There was a point in 2010 or so where even with TNA being utter utter shit, there was Kurt Angle on there, who you would watch and legitimately ask "Is this man the best wrestler in the world by some margin" he was undoubtedly the best but there was a very real possibility that he was Liverpool in 19/20 in that he was just miles ahead of everyone else.

That's the situation with Bryan right now - he is probably the best in the world currently (over the last 3 months or so, although Shingo and Okada and Ospreay have not had a lot to do in that time and Omega was working hurt) question is how much better is he than everyone else?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #4339 on: December 3, 2021, 11:49:31 am »
Best part of Danielson coming to AEW is that Omega finally has a dance partner. Hopefully he can hit his 2017-18 levels.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4340 on: December 3, 2021, 12:25:01 pm »
There was a point in 2010 or so where even with TNA being utter utter shit, there was Kurt Angle on there, who you would watch and legitimately ask "Is this man the best wrestler in the world by some margin" he was undoubtedly the best but there was a very real possibility that he was Liverpool in 19/20 in that he was just miles ahead of everyone else.

That's the situation with Bryan right now - he is probably the best in the world currently (over the last 3 months or so, although Shingo and Okada and Ospreay have not had a lot to do in that time and Omega was working hurt) question is how much better is he than everyone else?

I didn't watch TNA enough to be honest, but I remember getting the impression that it had hampered Angle's legacy a bit after a while. Hpwever, I didn't watch at all when he first jumped there and I heard raves about his work with Samoa Joe and AJ.

I remember thinking Angle might have a case for becoming the best ever during the Smackdown Six era, and then past the Lesnar match at Wrestlemania. Then HBK and him touched and I think it put that to bed in my mind; whatever genius Angle had, HBK just had a touch more.

I kind of get that with Omega and Danielson. But...

Best part of Danielson coming to AEW is that Omega finally has a dance partner. Hopefully he can hit his 2017-18 levels.

I also don't know enough about Omega. I have been slightly underwhelmed but he has been carrying numerous injuries and, as you say, might have to tone it back against less talented opponents. I think Cole and Danielson will need no toning back though.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4341 on: December 3, 2021, 12:49:55 pm »
Also yes Cole has arrived and hopefully Gargano comes too early next year. Omega v Gargano has all sorts of potential.

They will spread out the Cole v Omega feud across at least majority of 2022. Maybe thats an All Out match.

And then there's Kevin Owens/Steen! His contract is up in Jan. Instant built feud with Jericho, or at least Mt Rushmore (Owens, Cole, Young Bucks) vs Inner Circle. And MJF + Owens as a tag team would be incredible heat machines.

So much to look forward to.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 12:58:10 pm by OsirisMVZ »

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4342 on: December 3, 2021, 02:11:51 pm »
Also yes Cole has arrived and hopefully Gargano comes too early next year. Omega v Gargano has all sorts of potential.

They will spread out the Cole v Omega feud across at least majority of 2022. Maybe thats an All Out match.

And then there's Kevin Owens/Steen! His contract is up in Jan. Instant built feud with Jericho, or at least Mt Rushmore (Owens, Cole, Young Bucks) vs Inner Circle. And MJF + Owens as a tag team would be incredible heat machines.

So much to look forward to.

Owens vs Punk is the big one for me. If Punk/Kingston was red hot for real life heat, Punk/Owens would be absolutely nuclear

O'Reilly coming in (or likely coming in) is good too - he's not the best wrestler in the world (although he's pretty damn great) but he basically can't have a bad match against anyone, his floor is higher than most other people's.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4343 on: December 3, 2021, 02:27:49 pm »
You referring to the t-shirt thing with Steen and Punk?  Think that was blown up to be a lot more than people thought at the time.

Steen coming in will be mad.  Reform Mount Rushmore straight away and then you've got him vs Punk, Omega, all the young talent, etc.  Really looking forward to a revitalised Steen just going ham on everyone.

Gargano I'm not bothered about, can take or leave him.  Great wrestler, but kind of bland.  Expect O'Reilly to come in and reform ReDragon with Fish once he gets tired of Cole and the Bucks always leaving him high and dry.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4344 on: December 3, 2021, 02:50:45 pm »
You referring to the t-shirt thing with Steen and Punk?  Think that was blown up to be a lot more than people thought at the time.

Steen coming in will be mad.  Reform Mount Rushmore straight away and then you've got him vs Punk, Omega, all the young talent, etc.  Really looking forward to a revitalised Steen just going ham on everyone.

Gargano I'm not bothered about, can take or leave him.  Great wrestler, but kind of bland.  Expect O'Reilly to come in and reform ReDragon with Fish once he gets tired of Cole and the Bucks always leaving him high and dry.

That's the incident that's been talked about, but given what Punk was like at the time and what Steen is like in general, I can imagine there being some bad blood there (like with Kingston). Both are really good on the mic when discussing real situations. I expect their eventual program (if he goes) to be great stuff.

I would be interested to see if Zayn goes too, and if he does if he goes back to Generico - as beloved as he is I feel he's spent so long without the mask he'll just become a "new" character (like how Black and Andrade and Ruby didn't go back to Tommy End and La Sombra and Heidi Lovelace)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4345 on: December 3, 2021, 02:57:47 pm »
Sami Zayn will go to AEW the second he gets chance. El Generico and Steen in a locker room with CM Punk and Dragon (WHAT YEAR IS THIS!!!!!)

AEW is a bookers dream right now. Even Jim Cornette is starting to enjoy it (though probably more down to Twinkletoes Mc Finger bang not being there)

Whilst I still think it was too early to pull the trigger on a Danielson heel turn, I understand why and it's been done really well. CM Punk and MJF putting on promo clinics (though MJF's lack of experience on the mic starting to show)

AEW are about to enter their 3rd year which means their OG talent will be coming to the end of their first contracts. There are obviously some gimmies. I think the young bucks have already renewed their deals and apart from any major injury concerns with Omega there are no real issues sorting out everyone that needs it.

There will probably be a few minor cuts from the lower card but the future is looking very good for them
« Last Edit: December 3, 2021, 02:59:21 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #4346 on: December 3, 2021, 03:01:22 pm »
Jim Ross taking a break from the AEW commentary desk.

He's about to go through 20 radiation treatments for skin cancer. He's aiming to be back for the new years eve show in Florida.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4347 on: December 3, 2021, 03:31:18 pm »
Lol Dynamite is going to a bigger network in about 6 weeks

Stealthy deletion

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4348 on: December 3, 2021, 03:32:51 pm »
This is all well and good but Dynamite and Rampage ratings are both heading into the toilet.

I'd rather not get into ratings discussion because honestly who gives a fuck, watch what you enjoy.

By Dynamite ratings have been hurt by going live on the west coast - the show starts at the same time people are leaving work  in a 3rd of the nation, rather than primetime.

Offline Darkness

• Tedious WUM, loves betting on Man U
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4349 on: December 3, 2021, 03:32:57 pm »
Dynamite and Rampage keep bleeding viewers every single week, AEW is simply a niche product for the Indy nerdy wrestling fan.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4350 on: December 3, 2021, 03:34:56 pm »
Dynamite and Rampage keep bleeding viewers every single week, AEW is simply a niche product for the Indy nerdy wrestling fan.

Yeah because that near 2 years of ratings growth was down to people becoming Indy nerds and then stopping the last few weeks

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4351 on: December 3, 2021, 03:55:14 pm »
On the ratings, I don't think there's much that can be done, wrestling is niche entertainment these days.  But the way I see it is so long as the network are happy with how they're doing and keep paying them, then I'm happy.  If AEW suddenly didn't have a TV deal, then it'd be an issue.

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4352 on: December 3, 2021, 04:38:49 pm »
I think AEW viewership will go up 1 million average in next few years and wwe will go down to near 1.5m. don't expect more tv viewers simply cause of rise of streaming services etc

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4353 on: December 4, 2021, 12:46:37 am »
Dyanmite's ratings are suffering because it airs 5PM on the West Coast. It is no coincidence that since that move, they haven't broken a million when before that they were doing in the range of 1.1m-1.4m weekly.

Once they move to TBS in a month, they will go back to airing 8PM on the West Coast which will improve their ratings.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline btroom

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4354 on: December 4, 2021, 02:45:47 am »
Smackdown that was 1 hour show. rest just ad breaks and recaps  ;D What a joke.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4355 on: December 4, 2021, 11:17:59 am »
Smackdown that was 1 hour show. rest just ad breaks and recaps  ;D What a joke.

The Sami Zayn situation was a joke.

I had naively assumed that him and Owens would stick around - as they'd be high up in any Triple H led company behind the scenes - but they are both best off out of there.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4356 on: December 4, 2021, 12:43:49 pm »
Looks like Toni Storm needs saving too.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4357 on: December 4, 2021, 01:23:52 pm »

I had naively assumed that him and Owens would stick around - as they'd be high up in any Triple H led company behind the scenes - but they are both best off out of there.

Thought the interaction between Lesnar and Zayn was pretty great. Babyface Brock is good fun, and I don’t think Zayn being humiliated is a problem considering his current character.

Obviously been a while since Zayn has been able to properly show off his in-ring stuff, but his character and promo work has developed massively in the last few years. Hopefully if he goes to AEW he gets the chance to combine both.

Catching up on Dynamite, what’s the likely outcome between Page/Bryan? I know Danielson will happily do the job, but is that the way they’re likely to go?

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4358 on: December 4, 2021, 01:41:33 pm »

I would be amazed in Triple H gets anywhere near leading the company now. They demoted him over the last 18 months, took his super Indy project, ripped it up, made it into Vince's show, and depushed and fired all his guys. In their eyes, HHH lost the wat against AEW (which he kinda did; against actual competition for the WWE alternative his booking didn't hold up)

As Triple H guys, Zayn and Owens have little chance of being top contenders. They like them as midcard/upper mid guys, but there's little chance of them being the gems of Haitch's company and I doubt he will get the company.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4359 on: December 4, 2021, 01:43:10 pm »
They'd be insane to have Page lose so quickly in his first defence after a 2 year story culminating in his title win.  He should ideally beat Danielson clean but maybe they use it as a prop to pivot Dragon onto someone else via interference.