Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 518259 times)

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #13280 on: Today at 04:48:04 pm »
Any truth in the rumours we're in for Vince Clortho this summer?

No chance we’re paying that level of buyout, Gozer be kidding me.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13281 on: Today at 04:52:55 pm »
No chance we’re paying that level of buyout, Gozer be kidding me.

Fair point. Sumerian league isn't that strong anyway.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13282 on: Today at 04:55:10 pm »
Maybe that’s a good thing? You’ve said in the past you’ve felt like Klopp burned out due to a lack of supporting structure around him at the top, you also said you felt it was integral we returned to something like the past to avoid the same happening to a future manager.

What if those that are running the club have felt that giving the manager/HC that additional responsibility is too demanding on them and potentially impacts how they do their job - or impacts the stress levels that come with the job?

At the end of the day, Slot doesn’t have to agree to working under the structure, so discussing it as a potential issue seems silly if he’s agreeing to come here and work under it. I personally think it’s a positive move and clinging onto English football’s traditional values/titles is pointless, especially when we’re not bringing someone who’s worked in English football.

There are a couple of things firstly one of the big triggers for stress is not having control and the power to do things. Secondly I am actually an advocate of a Sporting Director model. The thing is it is hugely important role and for me Hughes hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be given the role.

Edwards basically made his name by getting big fees for players like Ibe, Smith and Solanke amongst others. The worrying thing is it was his mate Hughes who was buying them. Then you get to him appointing the likes of Scott Parker and Jason Tindall as managers. Hughes has spent a lot of money at Bournemouth relative to the size of the club but he hasn't really made money on many players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13283 on: Today at 05:17:23 pm »
There are a couple of things firstly one of the big triggers for stress is not having control and the power to do things. Secondly I am actually an advocate of a Sporting Director model. The thing is it is hugely important role and for me Hughes hasn't shown anywhere near enough to be given the role.

Edwards basically made his name by getting big fees for players like Ibe, Smith and Solanke amongst others. The worrying thing is it was his mate Hughes who was buying them. Then you get to him appointing the likes of Scott Parker and Jason Tindall as managers. Hughes has spent a lot of money at Bournemouth relative to the size of the club but he hasn't really made money on many players.

So if a stress trigger is not having the power to do something, why would you agree to join a club and work under such circumstances?

I’m sure Hughes has made some questionable decisions over the years, you’d struggle to find anyone at the relegation candidates that hasn’t. Unless you’re a Brighton and have the backing of someone like Tony Bloom and the advantages that brings, the others will always struggle as it’s much harder to convince players to join clubs like Bournemouth than it is to join established clubs.

I would also say it’s a bit harsh to bring the likes of Ibe and Smith up, they were literally from his first transfer window in his first appointment in the job. Like anyone, you’ll make mistakes early on, is it really fair bringing them up 8 years later?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13284 on: Today at 05:23:15 pm »
So if a stress trigger is not having the power to do something, why would you agree to join a club and work under such circumstances?
If I'm Slot, making such a gargantuan step up, it's much more stress-free and provides a certain freedom, in being given less responsibility and just focusing on coaching the team. With the astronomical uplift in salary, he has little to lose in accepting the role.

I would also say it’s a bit harsh to bring the likes of Ibe and Smith up, they were literally from his first transfer window in his first appointment in the job. Like anyone, you’ll make mistakes early on, is it really fair bringing them up 8 years later?
Can you name any more recent counter examples during Hughes' decade at Bournemouth?
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #13285 on: Today at 05:24:17 pm »
Any truth in the rumours we're in for Vince Clortho this summer?

That would make Michael Edwards Gozer?

"Many Shubs and Zulls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you."
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #13286 on: Today at 05:28:33 pm »
Forgive me, but you guys have jumped the shark. Who sits next to who and who says what to whom about the playing staff, all painted up as a matter of vitally needed strict accountability. As if that level of micro management means anything.

Klopps gone. Nobody's as good. as a result we are obviously fucked and if the stars align we will go again with our good young squad and the new brains and same owners, and if not we'll regress untill we look like the Mancs after Ferguson. Live with it. Putting out name cards for carefully curated press conferences aint gonna change squat.

If the new guy has good ideas and skills and the players get behind him and work hard then we will be fine. if hes a charlatan or out of his depth 2 years from now the squad will be unrecognizable because of exits and we will be looking to hire again. This was our fate from the moment Klopp decided organizing stateside summer friendly money spinner tours and fighting pgmol and MBS was not for him anymore. 

I think our chances are pretty good, better than i did at first, but nobody knows and only time will tell and the press conference seating arrangements are not going to matter at all and neither will whether Klopp shares his view of the squad with Slott or not.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13287 on: Today at 05:30:28 pm »
Can you name any more recent counter examples during Hughes' decade at Bournemouth?

Ake?

They’ll get a good fee for Solanke when he goes.

Online DLF

• Justified and Ancient
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13288 on: Today at 05:30:57 pm »
That’s a good point re United, my concerns however are

1)  Would we attract top talent like Alonso if they can’t pick their own players?
It depends.  Alonso doesn't at the moment and when he goes to Madrid he won't there either.  Mourinho stated his ideal position is just to be a head coach.  Rodgers wanted to be a manager and refused to work under a DoF.  I can imagine Rafa wanting more power.
2) Where does innovation happen if we are buying players who suit our style of play? Klopp has gone but we will be playing his type of football ad infinitum ? Liverpool played the boot room way for years, pass and move. In the nineties Ferguson brought in a new style with his fast wingers and aggressive pressing. We had to adapt.
With a successful set up like Txiki & Pep they are completely in alignment football wise, talk all the time and of course it can evolve.  Txiki worries about how to replace de Bruyne in 2 years and Pep himself in 5.  Pep can then concentrate on having sleepless nights about facing Jurgen's teams  ;D.
3) What is the record of those picking the players? Are they good at it.
It's no silver bullet. Txiki bought de Bruyne but then someone bought Rafa a table when he wanted a lamp or something when he was at Valencia.  I think Bob Paisley would have made an excellent DoF and Roy Evans would have fared much better under him with just head coach responsibilities.  The boot room doesn't really go away just the division of responsibilities.
Of all clubs Liverpools culture is manager over team. He is the leader of  a city not just a club. The manager not picking the players is changing a fundamental part of our DNA.
Oh I dunno.  The Manc deification of 'SAF' is something to behold which seem to increase the longer they carry on being shit.  There's nothing wrong with having a charismatic head coach but Bob was the manager of my youth so personally I don't need a messianic figure.  I'm just happy when we win!
The secret is that our Liverpool team never know when to stop running and working. At Anfield we have always believed in players supporting each other and concentrating on not giving the ball away. You can't go charging forward all the time, willy-nilly. You must have patience.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #13289 on: Today at 05:34:46 pm »

I’m sure Hughes has made some questionable decisions over the years, you’d struggle to find anyone at the relegation candidates that hasn’t. Unless you’re a Brighton and have the backing of someone like Tony Bloom and the advantages that brings, the others will always struggle as it’s much harder to convince players to join clubs like Bournemouth than it is to join established clubs.

You want a more recent one. How about spending £25m on Tyler Adams after he failed a medical at Chelsea. He has made 3 appearances this season. As I have said the remain thing is Bournemouth have spent a lot of money but recouped very little. Over the last two seasons they have brought in £1m from players sales.

He was also the Technical Director when Bournemouth got relegated. For me there is nothing that screams out that he should be trusted to be the Sporting Director of one of the World's biggest clubs.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13290 on: Today at 05:36:52 pm »
Fair point. Sumerian league isn't that strong anyway.
And the Carpathian one has already been bled dry by the cheats.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13291 on: Today at 05:38:27 pm »
You want a more recent one. How about spending £25m on Tyler Adams after he failed a medical at Chelsea. He has made 3 appearances this season. As I have said the remain thing is Bournemouth have spent a lot of money but recouped very little. Over the last two seasons they have brought in £1m from players sales.

He was also the Technical Director when Bournemouth got relegated. For me there is nothing that screams out that he should be trusted to be the Sporting Director of one of the World's biggest clubs.

Thing is though Al, if you go through all the supposed good Sporting Directors, they all have mixed transfer records. Judging a person on how good their player transfers are will always paint a mixed picture.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13292 on: Today at 05:44:56 pm »
People are finding new ways to find a problem with Slot’s appointment. Now the fact he’s happy to carry on working in a set up he’s been working in his whole career is seen as a bad thing. And no other coach worth his salt would want to work in a set-up they’ve been working up to now anyway :lmao

at the end of the day, I’m sure Michael Edwards came back on the promise this would be the way things worked.  But it really isn’t an unusual set-up.

It takes a chunk of responsibilities away from the Manager (Head Coach), so he can just focus on the coaching and football. Good move imo, especially when you look at how 8.5 years have worn out Klopp. It also leaves Slot a chance to bat away tiresome and irritating questions on recruitment and contracts in pressers ("I am not responsible for that. Next question.").
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Mr Grieves

• at losing other mr, ending years of Broken Wings encores.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13293 on: Today at 05:46:46 pm »
I wonder if the Caciedo money will be coming the new man’s way?
Put the ball in the goddamn basket chief

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13294 on: Today at 05:47:10 pm »
Thing is though Al, if you go through all the supposed good Sporting Directors, they all have mixed transfer records. Judging a person on how good their player transfers are will always paint a mixed picture.
I think Al's issue here is Hughes seems to have been appointed by virtue of being Edward's mate from their Portsmouth days. Rightly or wrongly, Edwards has been given almost total autonomy on football matters by FSG and yet there wasn't any hint of a "robust and data-driven process" being applied to recruitment for this particular job. He was all but given the nod the minute Edwards accepted the role of Football CEO, almost as a prerequisite. That doesn't sit well with me.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13295 on: Today at 05:48:59 pm »
I wonder if the Caciedo money will be coming the new man’s way?

Just wait for the James Pearce article about a supposed warchest this summer.  :-X

Online Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #13296 on: Today at 05:50:51 pm »

I’m not trying to defend him by the way, I just think it’s easy to scrutinise someone trying to establish a club in the premier league. The Adams example you give there is a pretty good one. He fails a medical at Chelsea, they think the injury will take a few months to heal, they decide to avoid the transfer. That then presents an opportunity for Bournemouth, who may be willing to wait the extra time because he’s better than anything else they’re able to pursue at that time, or he’s seen as a safer bet with his PL experience. He gets to the club, they patiently wait for him to get fit and it turns out he requires further surgery. The risk hasn’t paid off this season. He’s on a 5 year deal though and it could still pay off.

It’s a tough thing to judge, again this goes back to Edwards having enough credit in the bank where you’re willing to trust the appointment of Hughes essentially because nearly every person Edwards has brought into the club has been brilliant. His ability to judge people seems to be his greatest strength.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13297 on: Today at 05:54:52 pm »
I think Al's issue here is Hughes seems to have been appointed by virtue of being Edward's mate from their Portsmouth days. Rightly or wrongly, Edwards has been given almost total autonomy on football matters by FSG and yet there wasn't any hint of a "robust and data-driven process" being applied to recruitment for this particular job. He was all but given the nod the minute Edwards accepted the role of Football CEO, almost as a prerequisite. That doesn't sit well with me.

It does smack of cronyism, but that exists everywhere on some level. I've benefitted from it previously, in finance, as people want to work with people they know and trust. Then you get massive multinationals like BMS, Nvidia etc, that interview externally but generally they end up making an internal appointment.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13298 on: Today at 05:56:42 pm »

And he's there now when they're having their most successful season ever?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.