Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 20731 times)

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »
wish i was there in 76.

just to see their support act mind

Which one? Todd Rungren and Lynyrd Skynyrd were both good.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2012, 08:12:23 pm »
Which one? Todd Rungren and Lynyrd Skynyrd were both good.

FML  :(

The first chance I got to go to Knebworth '78, it was Genesis, Jefferson Starship (without Grace Slick), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Devo, Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section and Roy Harper.

Tom Petty and Devo were good, everyone else was shite. It wasn't helped by the sound fading in and out depending on the wind direction.

70's festivals eh  ::)

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2012, 10:03:18 pm »
FML  :(

The first chance I got to go to Knebworth '78, it was Genesis, Jefferson Starship (without Grace Slick), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Devo, Brand X, Atlanta Rhythm Section and Roy Harper.

Tom Petty and Devo were good, everyone else was shite. It wasn't helped by the sound fading in and out depending on the wind direction.

70's festivals eh  ::)

I was at that one as well. Didn't pay, just got in when the fences went down. Genesis were ok - didn't they have a massive mirror/lighting system?

My big regret was not going in 1975. All my mates went and were completely tripped out for Pink Floyd. Gutted.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2012, 10:32:25 pm »
I was at that one as well. Didn't pay, just got in when the fences went down. Genesis were ok - didn't they have a massive mirror/lighting system?

My big regret was not going in 1975. All my mates went and were completely tripped out for Pink Floyd. Gutted.

Yeah it was all about the "laser show".

Looking back, I probably witnessed the death of prog rock, when the lighting takes precedence over the music something's wrong.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 20, 2012, 10:45:30 pm »
Anyone watch 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus' on BBC2 Saturday night?

For Stones fans that didn't watch it, Gary Barlow and his mates 'Circus' concept was not entirely original as this 1968 film is a concert they put on inside a venue made up to look like a circus big-top.  There were weird circus acts in-between some of the music acts and the specially invited crowd were all dressed up in strange costumes which just added to the weirdness of this typically 60's show.

Along with the Stones themselves the concert also featured artists such as The Who. Marianne Faithful, John Lennon, Clapton and Jethro Tull.  Due to the Stones opinion that there own performance was substandard they withheld the film until 1996. 

60's weirdness aside i thought the music was bloody great and I'm going to download the soundtrack.

One of the best performances in my opinion was the one off performance from the specially constructed Super-group called 'The Dirty Mac'.  John Lennon (vocals), Keith Richard (Bass), Eric Clapton (lead Guitar) and Mitch Mitchell (drums).  They did a rendition on the Beatles track 'Yer Blues' and it was fucking ace.  I was in awe watching these 4 legends rocking out looking cool as fuck without even trying.

The Who did a superb 8 minute version of their epic track 'A quick one while he's away'.  Reading between the lines, people seem to think The Stones were really envious of the The Who's performance and this is apparently why they withheld this film for so long. Me personally, I think it has something to do with Brian Jones as this was his last live performance with the band and was almost a bystander during all 6 tracks and is inaudible on most of the songs.

I disagree with Mick and Keef and personally thought the Stones were magic on this film. They did 6 tracks finishing with 'Salt of the Earth'.  For me though 'Sympathy with the devil' was the outstanding Stones performance.

There are some humorous moments in-between acts as various artists introduce the next band on.  John Lennon and Mick Jagger looked really comfortable with each other and seemed to be having a right laugh on one introduction.

Here's the Iplayer link lads if you want to watch it. Available until 25thNov

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0074qwd/The_Rolling_Stones_Rock_and_Roll_Circus/

Offline Shite Name

• With a post history to match it.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:36 am »
Loving Exile On Main Street at the mo, can't get enough of these versions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=degrwuJZ_xI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyNUAzPofI

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #166 on: April 8, 2013, 03:44:25 pm »
Did anyone see Crossfire Hurricane recently?

My bro tipped me off and I just saw it on the iPlayer. Excellent documentary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rrxkl/Rolling_Stones_Crossfire_Hurricane/
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 3, 2014, 12:28:23 pm »

Bobby Keys, RIP.  Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main St., Goats Head Soup, Emotional Rescue, Stripped, Shine a Light Live Licks...

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 3, 2014, 12:29:48 pm »
Exile on main street one of my fav albums of all time.

I'm gonna give it a listen on my ipod in honour of Bobby keys.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 3, 2014, 01:07:30 pm »
RIP Bobby Keys. I think I'll listen to Exile tonight too.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: December 3, 2014, 02:25:57 pm »
RIP Bobby. Sticky Fingers for me.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #171 on: December 3, 2014, 04:07:36 pm »
RIP Bobby, his excellent playing is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of "Exile on Main Street'.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #172 on: December 4, 2014, 07:57:48 am »
Agree, he's at his best on there. My favourite Stones album.

In Richards book you get a sense of how tight Richards and Keys were. Born on the same day or something like that. A funny tale in the book also about him having a bath in Champagne.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: December 4, 2014, 01:59:07 pm »
Great picture of the two reprobates

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: December 5, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »
Great picture of the two reprobates

Fucking hell their dentist needs to up his game :P

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2014, 06:33:56 pm »
Fucking hell their dentist needs to up his game :P

;D Not the best time for Stones dental hygiene. The "It's Only Rock 'N' Roll" video (with the bubbles) shows a great hole in his maw. Millionaires, can get these things fixed.

Edit: On youtube they've fixed that as well.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 06:36:18 pm by Ginamos »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #176 on: May 23, 2015, 11:08:47 pm »
Got the London Singles compilation on.

Incredible.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:08 am »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x46cBLgtaTs

Love the Stones, they've got loads of stuff that's incredible that never gets any air play, stuff other bands would base careers around. The above cover of Stevie Wonder is one of my favourite deeper cuts that never gets a mention, it's fucking great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKH9enYiFIU

Hand of Fate is another I'd have to put on any Stones compilation. Classic from a slightly unloved album, it got that 'groove' in spades.

Anyone else got the SACD remasters from 2002, of the albums up to Ya Ya's? Sound quality is light years ahead of any other releases, even through a normal CD player. Compare something like Street Fighting Man on the SACD release of Beggars Banquet to the ones used on Forty Licks etc, it's astounding. Well worth paying the extra £ for those masters.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 01:37:08 pm by butchersdog »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #178 on: June 8, 2015, 07:09:09 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x46cBLgtaTs

Love the Stones, they've got loads of stuff that's incredible that never gets any air play, stuff other bands would base careers around. The above cover of Stevie Wonder is one of my favourite deeper cuts that never gets a mention, it's fucking great.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UKH9enYiFIU

Hand of Fate is another I'd have to put on any Stones compilation. Classic from a slightly unloved album, it got that 'groove' in spades.

Anyone else got the SACD remasters from 2002, of the albums up to Ya Ya's? Sound quality is light years ahead of any other releases, even through a normal CD player. Compare something like Street Fighting Man on the SACD release of Beggars Banquet to the ones used on Forty Licks etc, it's astounding. Well worth paying the extra £ for those masters.

Two incredible songs.

Think that SACD boxset expensive now but reissues on vinyl sound incredible.
« Last Edit: June 8, 2015, 07:18:55 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #179 on: June 8, 2015, 09:40:38 pm »
Love this track, just goes on and on.

Midnight rambler live at Madison Square.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB5ez6_MjVI

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2016, 08:03:38 pm »
Don't care if it's a necro-bump...

Got 'Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out' on.

So sloppy, so groovy. Letting it all hang out...'You don't want my trousers to fall down...do ya?'

Absolutely incredible band. Often very confused, under-rehearsed, stoned, but they're absolutely glorious here.

Wish that the Decca 1972 Exile tour live LP had got an official release, it's one of the best live albums out there, probably even better than Ya-Ya's.

'Charlie's good tonight, in-e...'

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2016, 01:23:13 am »
The '69 documentary of gimme shelter is the greatest film of a gig of all time. It's perfect. The literal drug highs and lows of that time all come crashing down. Loads of kids on acid come face to face with loads of aging hells angels from the 50's and its superb.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 26, 2018, 10:13:40 am »
Tickets are going to cost an arm and a leg but you only live once so I'm going to try and get tickets for either Edinburgh or Manchester.

There must be a lot of Stones fans on RAWK huh.

https://stv.tv/news/entertainment/1409084-rolling-stones-to-perform-in-edinburgh-this-summer/

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2018, 10:30:01 am »
Tickets are going to cost an arm and a leg but you only live once so I'm going to try and get tickets for either Edinburgh or Manchester.

There must be a lot of Stones fans on RAWK huh.

https://stv.tv/news/entertainment/1409084-rolling-stones-to-perform-in-edinburgh-this-summer/

Saw them at Glastonbury back in 2013. Amazing band live and although I wouldn't say I was a massive fan I always wanted the chance to the see them live. They finished their set with 'Brown Sugar' and most people started heading out of the Pyramid Stage, the rest of us started booing as we wanted more. Then there was this beautiful set of female sopranos singing 'You can't always get what you want' and I thought my night was made. They finished up Satisfaction and we danced ourselves off to Shangri- La for one of the best nights of my life.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
Just about every one of their songs is a classic.

I really hope I manage to get 2 tickets.

I've not mentioned it to my Da.  He's 61 now and been into the Stones as long as he remembers and I want to surprise him and go with him.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: February 26, 2018, 11:18:35 am »
Big fan. None of the dates are good for me though - I'm away when they play Manchester which is sooo frustrating. Might have to travel further afield but will be a nightmare getting childcare, so probably won't. That's even if you do get a ticket which will be hard to come by.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #186 on: February 26, 2018, 11:56:26 am »
Would like to see them again - they are still an amazing live band. I saw them at Knebworth in 1976 and at Maine Road in 1990, but I fear that the tickets will be too expensive this time out.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #187 on: February 26, 2018, 02:04:38 pm »
Saw them in Cuba for free. Twas pretty amazing.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2018, 02:31:51 pm »
Bet the trip to Cuba was amazing as well.

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »
Any idea how much tickets will be?
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2018, 05:42:19 pm »

The soul of your first-born, I imagine. Got to keep Keith in Shepherd's Pie.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2018, 07:37:18 am »
Love to go

Like Sam, I think the prices are going to be mental

Offline Toshack_Keegan_One_Nil

• Anny Roader
  • Sometimes I fantasise...
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2018, 02:00:17 pm »

They start at £89.95.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #193 on: February 27, 2018, 03:08:01 pm »
They start at £89.95.

Pit is £499 and gold circle is £250

GA is £100 with fees

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #194 on: March 1, 2018, 06:54:28 pm »
Booked flights and hotel today for Dublin, going to take a chance that I can get two when they go on general sale, if not then go over there and see if we can get some outside.

I seen them at Donnington about 10/11 years ago, amazing concert with me and the mrs bevvied dancing to the stones in the rain!

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #195 on: April 25, 2020, 02:47:54 am »

New original track after a 8 year hiatus.    :wave

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LNNPNweSbp8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LNNPNweSbp8</a>

"Living In A Ghost Town"

I'm a ghost
Living in a ghost town
I'm a ghost
Living in a ghost town

You can look for me
But I can't be found
You can search for me
I had to go underground
Life was so beautiful
Then we all got locked down
Feel like a ghost
Living in a ghost town

Once this place was humming
And the air was full of drumming
The sound of cymbals crashing
Glasses were all smashing
Trumpets were all screaming
Saxophones were blaring
Nobody was caring if it's day or night

I'm a ghost
Living in a ghost town
I'm going nowhere
Shut up all alone

So much time to lose
Just staring at my phone

Every night I am dreaming
That you'll come and creep in my bed
Please let this be over
Not stuck in a world without end

Preachers were all preaching
Charities beseeching
Politicians dealing
Thieves were happy stealing
Widows were all weeping
There's no beds for us to sleep in
Always had the feeling
It will all come tumbling down

I'm a ghost
Living in a ghost town
You can look for me
But I can't be found

We're all living in a ghost town
Living in a ghost town
We were so beautiful
I was your man about town
Living in this ghost town
Ain't having any fun
If I want a party
It's a party of one

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2021, 11:32:44 pm »
Can't believe their isn't a Rolling Stones thread, besides the one of a Guest bragging he got tickets in 2003 in the Boozer section. :D

Last few days or so i've been listening to the Mick Taylor era stones, the golden era/peak of the band.

Exile On main Street, Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed albums are just amazing albums, Pretty astonishing how Taylor was asked to be a Guitarist in the biggest band in the World a the time at 20 years old.

2 of my favourite songs from those albums with Taylor's guitar.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AJ1CRKiwdho" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AJ1CRKiwdho</a>  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3fa4HUiFJ6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3fa4HUiFJ6c</a>

« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:35:27 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2021, 05:02:45 am »

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2021, 05:19:34 pm »
During lockdown and working from home I've literally listened to those 3 albums too many times!

That era Stones was just unbelievable
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2021, 07:03:21 pm »
The four albums from Beggars Banquet in 68 to Exile in 72 are far and away their best work. Culminating in Exile, one of my favorite all time albums. Stones in Exile movie on making that album is great. Bit of a fan, as my username suggests.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.