Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 20732 times)

Offline Rozzer

• Anny Roader
  • There is a light, that never goes out
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #120 on: October 2, 2010, 07:34:33 pm »
Got a dutch edition of this on vinyl, has an actual zip on the jeans!!

Regards to best Stones songs for me.

Gimme Shelter
You Gotta Move
I got the blues
Let it bleed
Country Honk
Sister Morphine
Little Red Rooster
Angie
Love in vain
Sweet Virginia
No Expectations
Prodigal Son
Midnight Rambler
Ventilator blues

My old man also got a vinyl copy with the actual zip on the jeans. Canīt wait to get his complete stones vinyl collection, when he get`s to old to remember I took them off him :-)
SOS Member

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #121 on: October 2, 2010, 07:35:02 pm »
Anyone getting Keef's autobiography Life, comes out the end of this month. I'm hoping it will be a great read.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: October 2, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
Anyone getting Keef's autobiography Life, comes out the end of this month. I'm hoping it will be a great read.

thanks for the info, could be a great book. one for the christmas holidays

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #123 on: October 2, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
I came across an absolutely stunning Stones bootleg "Brussels Affair 1973". Widely considered to be the best Stones bootleg around.

"Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" is cited as the best live Stones album, imho this one is better. It's a sound board recording, made during the tour for "Goats Head Soup", how on earth this has never been officially released I find amazing. Mick Taylor is particularly good.

Brown Sugar
Happy
Gimme Shelter
Tumbling Dice
(Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo) Heartbreaker
Dancing With Mr D
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
All Down The Line
Rip This Joint
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Street Fighting Man

Google the title, plenty of blogs have it for download.

Got this today.

Love to have been  born when they were touring around this time.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: October 3, 2010, 09:30:20 am »
Got this today.

Love to have been  born when they were touring around this time.

Enjoy.

Played Rolled Gold today - fucking gold.

My favourite compilation, very fair even handed selection. I like how it covers the early period and also includes Satanic Majesties songs that often get ignored. I'd pick it over Hot Rocks, The Singles Collection or Forty Licks even if it stops at 1969. The only song I'd like to see on there is Play With Fire, but what to drop?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #125 on: October 3, 2010, 07:49:42 pm »
Enjoy.

My favourite compilation, very fair even handed selection. I like how it covers the early period and also includes Satanic Majesties songs that often get ignored. I'd pick it over Hot Rocks, The Singles Collection or Forty Licks even if it stops at 1969. The only song I'd like to see on there is Play With Fire, but what to drop?

I have this and Forty Licks but this is incredible as covers early stuff too.

Love their early stuff too.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #126 on: October 4, 2010, 06:25:06 pm »
Sticky Fingers is crrently favourite record.

My bloody Goat Heads album is bent. Picked the record up for Ģ2 last week  :no

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: October 5, 2010, 10:02:02 am »
You lot clocked this? Out next Monday...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-Ladies-Gentlemen-NTSC/dp/B003XFYDPM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1286262237&sr=1-1
I've got that. It's fantastic. It shows that for a while they really were the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world.

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 5, 2010, 10:40:33 am »
I've got that. It's fantastic. It shows that for a while they really were the greatest Rock and Roll band in the world.

The Mick Taylor period was my favourite I have to say.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #130 on: October 5, 2010, 08:58:19 pm »
What other DVD's are worth getting?

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: October 6, 2010, 10:29:30 am »
The Mick Taylor period was my favourite I have to say.
Mine too.
This one...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-Gimme-Shelter-DVD/dp/B0018O51DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1286308922&sr=1-1
It's interesting, the Altamont Speedway drama, but the music is not as good as on the other one, not by a long way.

Offline eAyeAddio

• Legacy Fan
  • The last Kremlin-esque figure in The Main Stand...
« Reply #133 on: October 6, 2010, 01:35:16 pm »
this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dScG2i7fakY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dScG2i7fakY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>
They laugh at me because I'm different.
I laugh at them because they are all the same.....

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #134 on: October 6, 2010, 06:01:33 pm »
this:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dScG2i7fakY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dScG2i7fakY?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

What DVD is this from?

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 6, 2010, 06:05:01 pm »
« Last Edit: October 6, 2010, 06:07:11 pm by Ginamos »

Offline Ron

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 7, 2010, 08:30:07 am »
I'd guess it's this one

Let's Spend the Night Together
You are right, the 1981 tour for Tattoo You.
There last good tour, in my opinion, of course.
I went to the Steel Wheels tour in 1989 (I think it was ?) and thought that was pretty crappy.
Too many background singers joining in when it wasn't needed, overall too much glitter and glamor for me.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2010, 06:01:59 pm »
Anyone got Keef's book? Bought it today, only cost a tenner. Only about 40 pages in now but have enjoyed it so far. The opening chapter involves Keith & Ronnie getting arrested in a redkneck town, amazing the shit he gets away with.

Offline The Scouseologist

• Weak-bladdered, ultimately repentant pie-hog
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2010, 12:47:18 pm »
Anyone got Keef's book? Bought it today, only cost a tenner. Only about 40 pages in now but have enjoyed it so far. The opening chapter involves Keith & Ronnie getting arrested in a redkneck town, amazing the shit he gets away with.

Reading it myself bud, little further ahead than yourself. Not gonna say much as don't want to spoil it, but its excellent thus far!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2011, 06:07:50 pm »
Some Girls on vinyl today for 3 quid.

BOOM!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
I thought the music to Boardwalk Empire was the Stones but it turns out its a band named after Brian Jones who do Stones music almost as good as the real thing. If that's possible. Feckin brilliant anyroad

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/45HPaTF0u7U?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/45HPaTF0u7U?fs=1</a>

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2011, 09:48:12 pm »
I thought the music to Boardwalk Empire was the Stones but it turns out its a band named after Brian Jones who do Stones music almost as good as the real thing. If that's possible. Feckin brilliant anyroad

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/45HPaTF0u7U?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/45HPaTF0u7U?fs=1</a>

Nuts band.

Watch the movie Dig!! following them.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2011, 10:17:16 pm »
What's the next album to listen to after Exile on Main St?

I've done Let it Bleed, Beggers Banquet, ya yas, and now I've been listening to Exile for about 2 months and need a new one.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2011, 10:29:56 pm »

I've done Let it Bleed, Beggers Banquet, ya yas, and now I've been listening to Exile for about 2 months and need a new one.

Not an album as such but the London Years Singles Collection gives a good overview of their earlier work pretty much up to the period covered by the albums you've got. As far as I know as well the earlier Stones albums have quite alot of filler in them so that collection might pick out the highlights and dodge the duds.

In terms of albums Sticky Fingers is the obvious one missing from what you have - its the one in between Let it Bleed and Exile so it wouldn't be that much of a jump stylistically either if you like what you've already heard.

The other possibility would be to look into their live stuff during the period that Taylor was playing with them (69-74). For me that is what really sets them apart, their sets during that period were absolutely incendiary. You could either buy the Ladies and Gentlemen DVD that has been recently released but if you have the time I'd have a bit of a browse around Youtube which has a pretty good selection of performances from that period. Although that option would not really introduce you to many new songs.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 10:32:01 pm by Sammy5IsAlive »

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2011, 11:23:19 pm »
 Just watched the scorcese film (shine a light ) about their gig in 2006, was brilliantly done. When Keith Richards said he was just happy to be there i was in stiches ! Gimme shelter got to be one of the best imo !
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline The Scouseologist

• Weak-bladdered, ultimately repentant pie-hog
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:25 pm »

Goats head soup is what they released after Exile I believe, but Sticky Fingers for the pure quality is what you should be hearing next.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europe vincendarum

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2011, 02:21:06 pm »
Like Some Girls album a lot.

Beast Of Burden is a classic track.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 30, 2011, 11:25:20 pm »
My new favourite Rolling Stones song after Beast of Burden.

Superb song: I Got The Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgF-PRY96Is
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:32 am »
Only just realised the Stones have released two live performances through Google Music, Brussels Affair '73 and Hampton '81. Official recordings, using the master tapes. If you don't have access to Google Music, needless to say the files have been torrented.

Brussels Affair promo featuring Keith and Mick talking about the concert.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbnrHE9lP1g?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vbnrHE9lP1g?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

And this is for the Hampton '81 release.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PrxMGgQT8ok?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PrxMGgQT8ok?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US</a>

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 20, 2012, 11:04:51 am »
Had the Brussels Affair bootleg for beards. It's fucking brilliant.

All the Goats Head soup songs are much better live - also you can hear Mick Taylor better, as he got mixed down a bit on the LP. Doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) with the breakdown is sloppy brilliance on that.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:54 am »
Had the Brussels Affair bootleg for beards. It's fucking brilliant.

All the Goats Head soup songs are much better live - also you can hear Mick Taylor better, as he got mixed down a bit on the LP. Doo doo doo doo (Heartbreaker) with the breakdown is sloppy brilliance on that.

Brussels Affair, in my opinion is one of the greatest bootlegs ever, it also gives a fantastic insight into how that band played as a unit at that time. Yeah, Taylor was definitely mixed down in the studio album, his interaction with Richards on the bootleg is one of the things that make it such an amazing listen.

From what I've read it was originally intended to be released as an official Stones live album back in the seventies, but for various reasons it never happened. Only just downloaded the new official release, looking forward to giving it a play later today. The sound clarity on the bootleg was exceptional, but I'm curious if this version will be better. The remastered version of Exile On Main Street that came out a couple of years ago was a revelation.

Edit: talking about Goats Head Soup, I really wish that album would get remastered. It's one of the muddiest recordings of any Stones albums I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:28:14 am by Ginamos »

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2012, 06:54:05 pm »
Apologies for the bump but just curious whether anyone one here is planning/hoping to go to the O2 shows in November?    (Or Newark in December?)

I have never seen the Stones live and have to say that post Tattoo You, I wasn't sure I really wanted to.  But I've told myself for the last 5 years or so that if the opportunity would ever arise again, I'd have to go - well here it is.....!

I assume these four dates are just testing the waters for a proper tour but probably shouldn't count on that...  Could use a little arm-twisting here!  Who's going?  And while I know the music will be fantastic, does Mick still have it?  (But more importantly, does he still shake it!?  :o)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:59:54 pm by ConnieLFC »

Offline Danthemanaussiered

• Main Stander
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2012, 07:07:31 pm »
Strong rumours of a Glasto appearance - ive got my fingers crossed!

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »
Strong rumours of a Glasto appearance - ive got my fingers crossed!

Me too, have my doubts Glasto can afford them though, especially based on the absurd prices they've put out for their tour. Ģ300 for standing is just ridiculous.

What are people's thoughts on "Doom and Gloom"? I absolutely love it.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »
My new favourite Rolling Stones song after Beast of Burden.

Superb song: I Got The Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgF-PRY96Is
That's my fav. There's a clip a bloke playing a piano version on YouTube that I'd love to be able to play. Just love it.

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2012, 06:14:39 pm »
I love their music, but they're just milking it now.

When they sued The Verve for "Bitter Sweet Symphony", a song that Andrew Loog Oldham largely wrote, Jagger/Richards were happy to take the credit, and take the money. The irony is that they ripped off countless blues standards, without paying anything.

They're c*nts, but that's part of the appeal. I'd never pay anything to see them live.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »
I love their music, but they're just milking it now.

When they sued The Verve for "Bitter Sweet Symphony", a song that Andrew Loog Oldham largely wrote, Jagger/Richards were happy to take the credit, and take the money. The irony is that they ripped off countless blues standards, without paying anything.

They're c*nts, but that's part of the appeal. I'd never pay anything to see them live.

Saw them in 1976 at Knebworth and it was fantastic. The idea of watching Mick ponce around the stage when he's pushing 70 is a massive turn off for me. There are bands I'd watch when they are old but the Stones isn't one of them.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
wish i was there in 76.

just to see their support act mind
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #158 on: October 19, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
Blasting Far away eyes right now, quality.

I was so pleased to be informed of this, i ran 20 red lights in his honor!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #159 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »
Goats head soup is what they released after Exile I believe, but Sticky Fingers for the pure quality is what you should be hearing next.

Went for Sticky Fingers, now today this thread reminded me to get the next one you mentioned. Listening to GHS for first time as I write this. Outstanding album and shall be on everyday for next few months I imagine.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/