Author Topic: The ....well I loved that thread...  (Read 926 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
The ....well I loved that thread...
« on: December 21, 2023, 09:39:02 pm »
Thirtysomething was an amazing piece of TV.

It was so warm and happy and sad and.. lovely.

It had so many themes that hadn't been explored before including a gay couple.. in 19 fucking 89.

It had an ensemble cast and showed people struggling, loving, just being and being selfish, horrible and yet their backstories helped you understand them more

It had couples and people trying to help people and it was an amazing show.

And I loved it. Wish it was repeated somewhere, but no luck so far. Great show. Amazing cast. Fantastic writing and directing.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: The ....well I loved that thread...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 10:59:01 pm »
GLOW

loved it

cancelled.

High Fidelity

Loved it even more. Cancelled.

Both on cliffhangers....

Offline Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 11:01:11 pm »
The OA
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 11:09:01 pm »
the First Division, used to love that, think it's dead now.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 11:35:21 pm »
GLOW

loved it

cancelled.

High Fidelity

Both on cliffhangers....

GLOW was fucking class, really enjoyed it...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 11:58:02 pm »
The business model for streaming platforms is to constantly have exciting new shows to hook viewers in. There are diminishing returns for commissioning ongoing seasons of existing shows because they gamble that you're not going to cancel your subscription over not getting a new season of GLOW, or Shadow & Bone, or whatever. After 2 or maybe 3 seasons the show has done its job and there's no need for more of it.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 07:13:36 am »
GLOW

loved it

cancelled.

High Fidelity

Both on cliffhangers....

Me and the missus loved GLOW

Shame it was cancelled :(
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 09:39:42 am »
The business model for streaming platforms is to constantly have exciting new shows to hook viewers in. There are diminishing returns for commissioning ongoing seasons of existing shows because they gamble that you're not going to cancel your subscription over not getting a new season of GLOW, or Shadow & Bone, or whatever. After 2 or maybe 3 seasons the show has done its job and there's no need for more of it.

After seeing too many series cancelled mid-story, I'm far more reluctant these days to get into a brand new series. So it's counter-productive.

What's most annoying is that the writers might have a great story that fits neatly into a couple of series but, after a strong first season, TV execs get them to pad it out over a few more. The story becomes meandering and loses the focus that made it popular in the first place. People lose interest and stop watching, viewing figures fall. TV execs cancel further seasons. Those viewers that have stuck with it don't get the story end.

Some of the best-remembered tv shows kept in mind the "always keep em wanting more" adage.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 09:44:30 am »
Vids.  It was this late night DVD review show on Channel 4, think it was late 90s.  They reviewed loads of obscure, cult movies and did weird little skits inbetween.  Was a really low-fi production, but absolutely brilliant.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 09:45:52 am »
Mindhunter, loved that.

The Sweeney from my youth
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 12:17:09 pm »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 12:27:44 pm »
Mindhunter, loved that.
Still annoys me that. Annoys me even more after watching shitty The Killer.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 12:50:32 pm »
Godless. A 2017 Netflix mini-series that's basically "Red Dead Redemption: The TV show". Jeff Daniels plays one of the best TV villains I think I've ever seen. 7 episodes, a perfectly adequate amount of time to spend without it overstaying it's welcome. Loved it.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 01:25:10 pm »
Monkey Dust

Best animated thing ever. The great Harry Thompson (co-creator &co-writer) sadly dying after s3 ended put a halt to it.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 02:12:13 pm »
Vids.  It was this late night DVD review show on Channel 4, think it was late 90s.  They reviewed loads of obscure, cult movies and did weird little skits inbetween.  Was a really low-fi production, but absolutely brilliant.
That would have been around the same time as Exploitica, which remains absolutely brilliant.

Big one for me was Carnivale, which was terrific and cancelled immediately on one of the greatest cliffhangers of all time, one of those rare moments that was a genuine game changer. Still pissed off to this day.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 02:28:12 pm »
Monkey Dust

Best animated thing ever. The great Harry Thompson (co-creator &co-writer) sadly dying after s3 ended put a halt to it.

I nearly posted the very same myself.  Almost exactly word for word.

Great shout