Author Topic: Barry (American TV Show)  (Read 3531 times)

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Re: Barry (American TV Show)
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2023, 06:16:52 pm »
Spoiler
The Sally attack was weird too, the perpetrator getting locked out and running away screaming "crazy bitch" or something to that effect while Sally cowers.
[close]
Spoiler
Also the Police Officer who had a bleeding eye when she spoke to him. Something weird is going on.
[close]

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2023, 08:40:50 pm »
Spoiler
Also the Police Officer who had a bleeding eye when she spoke to him. Something weird is going on.
[close]
Spoiler
Wasn't that the guy she stabbed last year in her home, who Barry helped dispose of the body? She's suffering PTSD from it still.
[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2023, 09:11:59 pm »
So, is Daniel Day-Lewis coming out of retirement or not?

Back to the funnier episode of Barry after the last few, and I assume a palate cleanser before an inevitable bloodbath next week.  I laughed at least half a dozen times at Noho Hank this week.
Not been 100% about this season bar Hank who's been hilarious.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2023, 12:09:08 am »
So, is Daniel Day-Lewis coming out of retirement or not?

"From My Left Foot?

Wow, that's a deep burn."
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Online Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2023, 08:41:33 am »
Is it 8 eps in total?

Agree with all of the above, but it's still a very, very good show.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2023, 11:19:08 am »
Spoiler
Losing two amazing shows on the same day is going to leave a massive hole in my viewing program.

Barry had to end with him being taken out. I thought it could have ended there.

Was the 'The Mask Collector' a tongue-in-cheek version of how Hollywood can sanitise a story for the sake of making a hero?
[close]
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2023, 04:35:16 pm »
Spoiler
Think it all ended as it should have. Barry didn’t get to go out in a blaze of glory as a ‘hero’, instead being shot by Gene. Albeit ironically after saying he was ready to turn himself in… and as a result presumably Gene spent the rest of his life in prison. A sad but fitting end for NoHo Hank too, and Fuches got some sort of redemption.

Personally think the ending would have been much more powerful if it just ended with Barry’s death. Didn’t really care for spending the last 5-10 minutes on the Hollywood version of Barry’s story, which was (intentionally) empty and hollow.
[close]

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2023, 04:57:33 pm »
Spoiler
Think it all ended as it should have. Barry didn’t get to go out in a blaze of glory as a ‘hero’, instead being shot by Gene. Albeit ironically after saying he was ready to turn himself in… and as a result presumably Gene spent the rest of his life in prison. A sad but fitting end for NoHo Hank too, and Fuches got some sort of redemption.

Personally think the ending would have been much more powerful if it just ended with Barry’s death. Didn’t really care for spending the last 5-10 minutes on the Hollywood version of Barry’s story, which was (intentionally) empty and hollow.
[close]
Spoiler
yeah that's what I thought as well. Don't think the flash forward really added much. Maybe they felt a cut to black was too Sporanos?

Also not sure on Moss being so convinced Gene was the mastermind behind it all, or Gene's son thinking he was shot on purpose? Think it works that Gene didn't get a good ending, but maybe a bit clunky how they got to that.

Otherwise a great end to a great season.
[close]

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2023, 09:47:51 pm »
Spoiler
yeah that's what I thought as well. Don't think the flash forward really added much. Maybe they felt a cut to black was too Sporanos?

Also not sure on Moss being so convinced Gene was the mastermind behind it all, or Gene's son thinking he was shot on purpose? Think it works that Gene didn't get a good ending, but maybe a bit clunky how they got to that.

Otherwise a great end to a great season.
[close]

Spoiler
My interpretation of Moss was that without Janice he really had no purpose in life, so after cracking the case with Barry he kind of needed to find and create an extra layer to keep him occupied.

Only disappointment I had was that Sally was a pretty terrible person so I didn't really appreciate her getting a happy ending. Didn't seem to have changed in the flash forward either. She also probably could have exonerated Gene but obviously chose not to do so.
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2023, 06:45:25 am »
Spoiler

Binged the final season over the few days, and thought it decent, but not great.

The final few mins seemed to just be there to make John consider his dad a hero, and not the diabolical killer he was. Which isn’t a bad thing, albeit it was clunky.

There were some odd things, like the home invasion with Sally, and the. Her seeing the cops bleeding eye. Hallucinations to send her down a certain path?

Then the VR gear Barry was in, seemed like really powerful stuff.

Some one a few weeks ago said it was odd that Barry was clean shaven after having a load of stubble a few minutes earlier. I’ll raise you Barry cutting a huge gouge in his hand when escaping the garage and wrapping a piece of tissue around it before falling asleep in the kitchen. When he wakes up the tissue is still clean and the gouge seems to be no impediment. So what was the point of the gouge?

So yeah, a few continuity oddities.

I do wonder of Heder and the team got too much up their own arses, which happens from time to time. It seemed it did on latter seasons of Louis and Shameless to me.
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2023, 12:19:19 pm »
Spoiler
I thought it was good ending. I thought the decision to have Cousineau as the fall guy is Hader's viewpoint of the bullshit of Hollywood and how it twists the truth in fictionalised versions of true crime stories and leaves Barry as the Difficult Man wronged by the system. Even if Hader knows himself that Berkman is an absolute psychopath. And he told of this by not having the protagonist make it to the ending of the finale, unlike your Walter Whites and Tony Sopranos - despite going to Walmart again and strapping various machine guns around him.

I thought Hank had the best ending, dying in the arms (as such) of the lover he helped murder, while Fuches fully embraced his Raven persona and disappeared into the dark. And Stephen Root has been fucking awesome this season especially. But then again he's been awesome in everything, ever.

I'm not sure Sally 'deserved' her happy-ish ending (and it was very Sally to receive all the applause and flowers for her student actors as if it were herself on stage), but I guess Hader wanted a bridge to show the bullshit version of the Barry Berkman movie.

I think this will be one of those lost shows that gets rediscovered on a streaming network in 5 or 10 years with columns asking 'Hey, dis anyone know how amazing Barry was?' Yes, yes we knew.

[close]
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2023, 03:24:50 am »
From start to finish, superb. Didnt have a clue what to expect.

Mad the twists in this show and how much it changes from comedy to dark.

Loved it

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2023, 11:56:03 am »
Coming to the end of Season 1 now. Didn't seem like my sort of thing but I'm a huge Hader fan from his SNL days so gave it a whirl. Just the finalé left, enjoying it so far.

Some of bits with the Chechens and the other marines he meets seem like they could be straight out of a GTA game with how quickly it spirals out of control.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #53 on: November 8, 2023, 05:33:25 pm »
*Finally* finished it. Have to say I found the final season to be just as strong as the rest really. Thought the writing and performances stayed strong throughout.

I look forward to watching it again at some point down the line. It's a classic dark comedy and has some of the funniest/most insane shit I've seen on a TV comedy probably in ever. One of HBO's best in recent times. Fuches will always be my favourite.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #54 on: November 8, 2023, 06:22:11 pm »
We're cracking through one a day now. Just started season 3. Really cannot stand Sally, hoping for the worst for her. Really thought Mr Coustineau was a goner for a moment too.

Actually on that subject, I'm glad Henry Winkler got some acclaim for this, seems like a great guy but couldn't shake the Fonz off after the 80s.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 9, 2023, 03:22:26 am »
My mate is coming to visit me over the weekend and she's not seen Barry, I'm going to rectify that.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2023, 12:22:25 am »
finished it tonight. can't really work out what i make of it overall, but do know it's really well acted and particularly brilliantly directed

best moment in season 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdGfhVAAes

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2023, 12:36:50 am »
My mate is coming to visit me over the weekend and she's not seen Barry, I'm going to rectify that.

Hope she enjoys it.

Although Barry is an unusual name for it.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2023, 12:46:41 am »
Hope she enjoys it.

Although Barry is an unusual name for it.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2023, 08:54:32 am »
finished it tonight. can't really work out what i make of it overall, but do know it's really well acted and particularly brilliantly directed

best moment in season 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IdGfhVAAes

For me the highlight of Season 4 was undoubtedly the prison shootout. So surreal - Barry noticing Fred Armisen sweating in the background of the scene, realising he's there to kill him  ;D Comedy gold and grisly all the same time.

Other bit that comes to mind is the rocket launcher attack from NoHo Hank on Fuches, and then the long tracking shot of him trying to escape down the mountain road.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2023, 09:11:40 am »
For me the highlight of Season 4 was undoubtedly the prison shootout. So surreal - Barry noticing Fred Armisen sweating in the background of the scene, realising he's there to kill him  ;D Comedy gold and grisly all the same time.
definitely a close second! rewound it to the part where he points out and accuses Armisen as soon as the episode was over

Other bit that comes to mind is the rocket launcher attack from NoHo Hank on Fuches, and then the long tracking shot of him trying to escape down the mountain road.
and when Hank gets picked up, after that, from the old woman's house who looked after him ;D

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2023, 12:37:09 pm »

Yeah that was a great scene. So many batshit crazy sequences over the course of the series to help carry it. Think my favourite was in the 3rd season where the gang on bikes come to kill Barry and it ends up in the car dealership with one of them getting shot by the salesman. Was laughing at that for days.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2023, 12:34:53 pm »
I have about 2-3 episodes to go.

It really does start to get a bit grim. Looking forward to finishing the series.