Author Topic: Squid Game - Netflix  (Read 11049 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: Squid Game - Netflix
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2021, 01:21:41 pm »
Spoiler
I can't see how it would be as good. Part of the beauty of the first season is the shock of the games (especially the first one) and the mentality of the contestants (especially with the marble game). I think that would be missing with a second season, as we all now know how it works, and then there is the danger of it becoming a bit like the Saw franchise where they just try to shock the viewer rather than having a worthwhile plot.
[close]

Episode 6 - 'Gganbu'

Spoiler
The marble game was the most devastating and moving for me. The set up of choosing partners and then the kick in the guts when they realise they have to compete against each other. The most upsetting was poor Ali getting completely stitched up by Sang Woo.
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2021, 02:38:57 pm »
One more episode left. It feels like a Kubrickian Crystal Maze mixed with a bit of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2021, 05:22:27 pm »
Tell me more about these folks...I'm already invested.

One of the initial challenges for Squid Game was the players walking into a room decorated with "Live, Laugh Love" stickers, and being tasked to sit on a diamond studded crushed velvet sofa for an hour. The winner is the player who can stand listening to a Facebook ma screaming at her 3 kids (Jayden, Brayden and Okayden) without murdering someone. The final boss is Mrs Hinch.

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2021, 05:53:04 pm »
I'm waiting for the live UK version

Christmas Brexit Squid Game, presented by Ant & Dec with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson on commentary laughing his tits off like Stuart Hall (one for the kids there)

"And the prize fund after that round stands at 537 turkeys and £653 worth of petrol, the bodies are certainly starting to pile high now"

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2021, 08:31:09 pm »
I'm waiting for the live UK version

Christmas Brexit Squid Game, presented by Ant & Dec with Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson on commentary laughing his tits off like Stuart Hall (one for the kids there)

"And the prize fund after that round stands at 537 turkeys and £653 worth of petrol, the bodies are certainly starting to pile high now"

The VIPs are actually the British public, watching on laughing at these desperate people thinking they’re not the same.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2021, 11:10:25 pm »
Episode 6 - 'Gganbu'

Spoiler
The marble game was the most devastating and moving for me. The set up of choosing partners and then the kick in the guts when they realise they have to compete against each other. The most upsetting was poor Ali getting completely stitched up by Sang Woo.
[close]
This was so sad, i felt so sad.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2021, 08:04:46 am »
One of the initial challenges for Squid Game was the players walking into a room decorated with "Live, Laugh Love" stickers, and being tasked to sit on a diamond studded crushed velvet sofa for an hour. The winner is the player who can stand listening to a Facebook ma screaming at her 3 kids (Jayden, Brayden and Okayden) without murdering someone. The final boss is Mrs Hinch.
Compelling...second series already in the bag.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2021, 09:08:36 am »
No interest in watching this, but was really surprised when my 10 year old kid said it's all her friends in school are talking about.
I mean, are their parents braindead or what? Letting children watch what they know in advance is a very violent and inappropriate show.
Just don't get it at all.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2021, 09:47:12 am »
No interest in watching this, but was really surprised when my 10 year old kid said it's all her friends in school are talking about.
I mean, are their parents braindead or what? Letting children watch what they know in advance is a very violent and inappropriate show.

I don't actually think it's that violent. A lot of deaths and a bit of blood, sure, but it's rather understated really given the concept. They manage to give you the impression of gory without actually showing it, and the deaths are very much a sub-plot to the wider meaning of the show.

Not that I'd let a 10-year old watch it. But I'd have no problem with say 14+.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2021, 10:17:33 am »

I keep hearing about this on the radio, it's supposed to be No1 in the UK. Anyone watching this and is it any good? My two kids are watching this in their room of a night and they love it, I thought it was a kids programme but obviously not.

Not all of us were aware of it, I stuck my head in the kids room and asked what they were watching and they said Squid Game and I thought nothing more of it and it was only when I heard them chatting on the radio station my wife listens to I got wondering. Planet Rock have not mentioned it, so without her listening to RockFM I would have heard nothing about the show. They binged watched it in about 3 nights
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2021, 02:27:04 pm »
"This sign will not lead you to Squid Game"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-58896921

:lmao
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Jono69

• Legacy Fan
  • You make pigs smoke!
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2021, 03:11:42 pm »

My 10 year old asked to watch it last week as everyone was watching it at school  ;D

So I said ok lets have a look as she has been warned she has to check anything with us when there is a age rating on it . Went it to it and it seemed to have every warning known to man and a 15 rating so i said no chance

The wife and i watched the first episode later on as all the warnings intrigued us,  but we both said it gave a very false impression of how the show is , I'm a bit more blasé to these sort of things but the Mrs isn't

Whether the other episodes depict a lot more than the first i don't know

The dubbing reminded me of Monkey back in the day , that's one for you oldies
If you see a lovely field with a family having a picnic, and a nice pond in it, you fill in the pond with concrete, you plow the family into the soil, you blow up the tree, and use the leaves to make a dress for your wife who is also your brother.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 13, 2021, 03:18:37 pm »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 04:22:42 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2021, 07:38:30 am »
Loved it but was very very bothered by the intervention in one of the games, especially considering the speech about equality. The VIPs were ridiculous

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2021, 08:26:56 pm »
Loved it but was very very bothered by the intervention in one of the games, especially considering the speech about equality. The VIPs were ridiculous
Presumably this was an example of the rules suiting the onlookers and claims of fair play are rather disingenuous.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2021, 08:29:16 pm »
Presumably this was an example of the rules suiting the onlookers and claims of fair play are rather disingenuous.

Pretty much

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2021, 08:42:13 pm »
I enjoyed it but.....

the main character is a tit.
it took too long to properly get going and strung out the 'epilogue' part as well.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2021, 07:24:56 pm »
Spoiler
My wife started wstching it over the weekend, so I re-watched the first episode and the vote to abandon the game. Knowing what we go onto know about the old man (Oh Il-Nam), I'm justnot sure it makes much sense him having the deciding vkte and choosing to end the game. He's dying, and hehad apparently taken the decision to join in, as he did. So why then choose to end it, and so early? Doesn't really add up, to me.
[close]
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2021, 07:33:47 pm »
Spoiler
My wife started wstching it over the weekend, so I re-watched the first episode and the vote to abandon the game. Knowing what we go onto know about the old man (Oh Il-Nam), I'm justnot sure it makes much sense him having the deciding vkte and choosing to end the game. He's dying, and hehad apparently taken the decision to join in, as he did. So why then choose to end it, and so early? Doesn't really add up, to me.
[close]

Spoiler
It's not the first time they've run the game, they know people will come back of their own volition anyway.
[close]

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2021, 07:37:08 pm »
I couldn't get past the first episode, found it totally uninspiring sadly.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2021, 07:41:23 pm »
I couldn't get past the first episode, found it totally uninspiring sadly.

I didn't think either of the first 2 were very good at all for the most part. it picked up though.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2021, 07:45:45 pm »
I didn't think either of the first 2 were very good at all for the most part. it picked up though.

Maybe I will try again later, it's weird with some shows that you expect to like and you then find it a completely different thing when your watching it. I was sure I'd love Shadow and Bone but three times I've tried to get through it and have finally given up with it. Yet Cursed which is not the best thing that has ever been made, I did like. Needless to say they cancelled it, as is Netflix's usual thing.

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2021, 11:06:34 pm »
Maybe I will try again later, it's weird with some shows that you expect to like and you then find it a completely different thing when your watching it. I was sure I'd love Shadow and Bone but three times I've tried to get through it and have finally given up with it. Yet Cursed which is not the best thing that has ever been made, I did like. Needless to say they cancelled it, as is Netflix's usual thing.

I think sometimes you have to be in the right mood for a show, especially subtitled ones. It also doesn't help when something gets hyped to no end before you've even started watching it.

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2021, 11:42:59 pm »
Put the number 45 into google and the first suggested question will show how popular this show is!
+6 ticket exchange

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2021, 06:43:32 am »
I think sometimes you have to be in the right mood for a show, especially subtitled ones. It also doesn't help when something gets hyped to no end before you've even started watching it.

You are right about hyped shows, watched so many that were hyped up to the rafters and then come away really disappointed as a result. I will probably try it again one day, maybe I will change my mind.

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2021, 01:16:15 pm »
Spoiler
I suppose he wants the contestants to come back of their own accord, given that they vote after realising that they are risking their lives for the money.
[close]

Spoiler
I think my point is more, as clearly outlined at the end; the old man wants to play. He's made that very conscious decision to do so, and a part of doing so is having the ability to cast his own vote in that scenario. So, knowing what we know, I just don't get why he then votes against carrying on the game that he wanted to join, and clearly also wanted to finish. You can say that 'he wanted the contestants to continue of their own volition', but they would have done according to the rules of the game had he cast his vote to stay - because a majority would then have been in favour of remaining. I dunno. It just didn't make a great deal of sense to me.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:25:56 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2021, 01:28:37 pm »
Spoiler
But it would be even more their choice if they came back after voting to leave. At first it was just ‘want to be rich?’ but they came back knowing it was ‘want to be rich? Kill these people then’. Probably more willing contestants the second time around
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2021, 02:05:59 pm »
It´s entertaining viewing for sure. The way it plays on its themes can seem too obvious at times, but it does have some powerful moments and is obviously tense. As with anything this hyped, I always tend to end up falling on the more critical side. If it was a "Western" show I´d probably be more critical still - but the fact its Korean keeps it fresh for me. I´d say it is good casual viewing. Honestly the main reason I started watching it was that absolutely everyone in my office was banging on about it.

Got two more episodes still to go.

On the theme of the OP, I was worried when my 6 year old niece started going on about Squid Games. There is no chance her mum would let her watch it, but clearly some of the kids in her class must have been watching it. 100% not a show for children.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:08:12 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2021, 03:40:19 pm »

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2021, 03:51:34 pm »
 ;D

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2021, 02:40:56 pm »
Its almost like they filmed it on set

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vWdHPMhy270" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vWdHPMhy270</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2021, 02:44:31 pm »
I got to like the girl who seemed to learn her acting from the Nicolas Cage school of overacting
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 07:50:42 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2021, 02:47:43 pm »
God SNL is such garbage these days.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2021, 06:06:02 pm »
Its almost like they filmed it on set

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vWdHPMhy270" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vWdHPMhy270</a>
Is that Pete from SNL funny?

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2021, 11:42:33 pm »
I got to like the girl who seemed to learn her acting from the Nicolas Cage school of overacting

I found her horribly distracting but wondered if there was something lost in translation from the Korean dialogue.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2021, 12:29:44 am »
I found her horribly distracting but wondered if there was something lost in translation from the Korean dialogue.
the english dub of her was really over exaggerated, shes one of the characters that the nuance is missed in translation.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2021, 07:31:01 am »
Spoiler
So finished it last night.

Like I said before - entertaining but massively overhyped.

The VIPs had some of the worse dialouge I´ve ever heard

The old man was a nice twist. Although I don´t really understand exactly what that scene was trying to do? It was ovbiously meant to give some conflicting emotions, as he seemed a nice sort of fella who just wanted to remember the joy of childhood. But the moral of the story seemed to be that the mega-wealthy are just bored sociopaths? Which isn´t a particularly deep message. And of course money can´t buy you happiness.

Finally, in that same scene - the old drunk guy lying in the snow was a clone of the old guy. Was that just like a poetic license or something deeper do you think?
[close]

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2021, 08:43:17 am »
Interesting read on the actors playing the VIPs : https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/oct/19/they-didnt-just-pick-us-up-off-the-street-meet-the-globally-derided-squid-game-vips

This is a must-read for anyone who was unhappy with the VIPs and their respective actors.

Offline Flaccid Bobby Fowler

• Supports the No To Racism campaign. Good lad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • *****In Istanbul, we won it 5 times*****
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2021, 12:26:04 pm »
Spoiler
So why in the name of god did the coppers brother end up being the main man - was never explained.
[close]