Author Topic: The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix series  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix series
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:01:57 am »
Is anyone watching this?

I'm 5 episodes in. So far it's one of the best works of horror I've seen in recent times. Not quite at the level of Get Out or It Follows, but it's more of a traditional ghost story. It's almost a bit like Six Feet Under with ghosts, in that it's at its core a story about family.

I'm really pleased with it. It's not easy to do horror and doing a single story across a season of television must be extremely challenging, but this series has provided I think a good template for how to do it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/G9OzG53VwIk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/G9OzG53VwIk</a>

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
Re: The Haunting of Hill House - Netflix series
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 07:51:19 am »
This is incredibly good work, easily rivaling or exceeding American Horror Stories best seasons.  Quality of acting is very good with believable characters. Having watched a massive number of horror movies, anthologies and tv shows from the crappiest to the sublime, i can attest to its quality.

Sad that there is only one season...   
Phuk yoo

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 08:29:17 am »

One of my favourite movies (the Robert Wise version which gets great scares from so little), I`ve been enjoying this reboot so far.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:50:20 pm »
It is an ok watch but it's more a family drama that a horror,there were only 3 proper scares in the whole series.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 11:17:51 pm »
It is an ok watch but it's more a family drama that a horror,there were only 3 proper scares in the whole series.
I’m not a big fan of horror so this is what makes the series good for me. You can literally feel the tension between the siblings

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:06 am »

Havent seen all of the series yet (just 3 episodes), but the original book/movie was more about dread than scares. The best kind of horror.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 02:11:37 pm »
I'm up to episode eight. Don't worry I won't spoil anything.

I think this is alright, but could have been so much better. My main criticism is that they really overuse the horror elements. Something will happen to a character and initially it may scare you, but then they try that exact same tactic again and again within the same episode.

Horror for me works like this. You build the suspense, the feeling that something isn't right and that in turn makes the audience think, "what is the character sensing here that I can't see?". Then you reveal it fairly late in the game. These episodes would work better if they showed a little restraint. Instead the scary part tends to come early on and what follows are several attempts to try and replicate it.

Again I think it's a good enough series, there's one episode with a very unsettling and memorable scene. However as ridiculous as this may sound, it would have been scarier if they stopped trying to scare us so much.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:36 am »
Watched the first three episodes last night and really enjoyed it. Unlike the poster above, I thought the scare moments were well placed; its difficult to do when everyone knows they are watching a horror and are expecting to be scared, and every method has been done to death now. Also, watching a horror is just generally a much less scary experience on the TV at home when compared to watching in a cinema.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 11:46:15 am »
Havent seen all of the series yet (just 3 episodes), but the original book/movie was more about dread than scares. The best kind of horror.

It fails at that as well.

Spoiler
They could and should've done more with it & that really hits home in the last episode when they show just how many spirits are in the house
[close]

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 01:14:49 pm »
This is incredibly good work, easily rivaling or exceeding American Horror Stories best seasons.  Quality of acting is very good with believable characters. Having watched a massive number of horror movies, anthologies and tv shows from the crappiest to the sublime, i can attest to its quality.

It's good and I'm enjoying it but it's not that good  ;D

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:55:16 pm »
I have 2 episodes left,will be watching them tonight.

Really enjoyed it so far.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:53 pm »
Thought it was shite to be honest.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »

Naaaahhh...Not even close.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 12:34:44 pm »
Thought it was shite to be honest.

Nothing scares werewolves.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 10:00:02 pm »
Nothing scares werewolves.

Nothing accept silver mate. Silver scares the shit out of me.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 10:02:29 pm »
I will add that even though I was left unimpressed by this series as a whole, I was impressed with the child actors. Especially the two who played the twins, Nelly & Luke.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:09:33 pm »
They are saying its the 3rd most successful TV horror series already just behind American Horror story and The Walking Dead.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
They are saying its the 3rd most successful TV horror series already just behind American Horror story and The Walking Dead.

They say a lot of things,Hannibal and the Exorcist blow it out of the water & if ''they'' include The Walking Dead then ''they'' also must include Fear.

They can claim it is many things but Horror isn't one of them.

Others that are better

Outcast,Channel Zero,The terror,Midnight texas,Van Helsing,Constantine,Bates Motel,Penny Dreadful,The Strain,Dusk til dawn,Helix & Salem,they are just off the top of my head.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 10:47:03 pm »

Must be some nervous, sensitive souls about these days, because I didn't find it at all scary. More of a ghost story than a horror series to me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 11:38:36 pm »
They say a lot of things,Hannibal and the Exorcist blow it out of the water & if ''they'' include The Walking Dead then ''they'' also must include Fear.

They can claim it is many things but Horror isn't one of them.

Others that are better

Outcast,Channel Zero,The terror,Midnight texas,Van Helsing,Constantine,Bates Motel,Penny Dreadful,The Strain,Dusk til dawn,Helix & Salem,they are just off the top of my head.

I think ratings wise its been a huge hit.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 11:24:14 pm »
IMO American Horror Story is garbage. But they're almost completely different genres, so it's hard to compare. American Horror Story is pulpy schlock with any number of monsters/tropes mixed into any given season. This is a family drama with some ghosts.

Spoiler
I remain unconvinced by the idea that Nell is the Bent Neck Lady. It just doesn't really make any sense.
[close]

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2018, 01:14:14 am »
Thought it started off well and went downhill dramatically. Very predictable and repetitive, should have been trimmed down by a few episodes.

Also it’s never a good sign when child actors are noticeably better than their adult counterparts.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2018, 08:58:26 pm »
Must be some nervous, sensitive souls about these days, because I didn't find it at all scary. More of a ghost story than a horror series to me.
Well I guess my custom title is well deserved, because I found it horrifying.

Overall I enjoyed it and as someone else already posted, it’s more of a family drama with some horror mixed into it. I have a question, though.
Spoiler
Were the ghosts evil or not? The dude with the cane and the monster in the basement didn’t exactly seem friendly. But the clock repair guy certainly was not evil. It left me confused
[close]

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 10:32:32 am »

David or Bernardo?

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 12:57:43 pm »

That and being portrayed really badly in films based on teen fiction.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #25 on: November 2, 2018, 10:17:08 am »
Loved the depth of its characters and the subjects it touched. Of course that's what elevated from just a horror show. The end sent me mixed messages but all in all it was a fine watch.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Lycan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 2, 2018, 11:32:00 am »
That and being portrayed really badly in films based on teen fiction.

Nothing makes angrier mate. Those films have me howling with rage. :no

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #27 on: November 3, 2018, 02:59:25 pm »
3 episodes in. Some very jumpy bits, some cheap jumpscares, a bit of tension but the best thing is the fact you care about the characters - even though they've all obviously come out of the other end traumatised and damaged.

Some very good performances in the style of horror I like - understated, mostly unsaid and mostly left to your imagination (Which beats any horror effect any director could ever come up with IMO)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 3, 2018, 03:28:43 pm »
thought it was excellent, i cared about the characters and the relationships which is key for me, thought it was more a psychological thriller at times than horror but really enjoyed it all the same.

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #29 on: November 3, 2018, 04:34:30 pm »
Echo some similar sentiment in the thread. I enjoyed the earlier parts of the season right towards the last couple of episodes when it came apart. I couldn't even make it through the final episode.

Offline DadsRedArmy

• from Thetford
  • Anny Roader
  • Top 2 this season
« Reply #30 on: November 5, 2018, 02:26:13 pm »
Up to the 5th episode so far, im enjoying it a lot, predictable, a bit, Jumpy a bit, Scary naaaa  :o

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #31 on: November 5, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »
Forced myself through 7 episodes of this and I'm admitting defeat. Average at best I reckon. No idea how it gets like 9/10 on IMDB  ???

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #32 on: November 5, 2018, 06:16:36 pm »
I liked it. It wasn't jump out of the sofa scary, but rather it gave me chills that raises the hairs on my body, love that.

I do think it was better in the first 4 or 5 episodes and dipped some in the last 2 or so. Still very good.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 5, 2018, 08:47:31 pm »
Thought the first five episodes were brilliant and the last five episode were good. Hoped for better at the end but still really enjoyed it overall.

Spoiler
I actually found myself getting really sad at times throughout the show, including the last episode. It’s been a while since something has got to me like that, but I cannot even explain why it bothered me so much.
[close]
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: November 5, 2018, 09:23:30 pm »
This was so overated, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina was much more enjoyable for me.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #35 on: November 3, 2023, 12:01:39 am »
Just finished the last episode of this (my daughters watched it a couple of years ago and they badgered me to watch it with them)

Thought it was brilliant.

If you want more vivid horror/slasher then you'd be disappointed. But the characterisation and storyline is very good.

Found the last episode pretty emotional.

Spoiler
really didn't like the dad, but when you realise the sacrifices he made - having his kids dislike/hate him as they grow into adults - in order to try to protect them, you realise you were so wrong
[close]
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline KillieRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 3, 2023, 09:49:39 am »
My Flanniverse Netflix mini-series ratings:

1. Midnight Mass
2. Haunting of Hill House
3. House of Usher
4. Midnight Club
5. Haunting of Bly Manor

Like them all; his rep company of actors, though Henry Thomas is awful in Bligh Manor, his approach to horror and reimagining of classics. Even the Easter Eggs.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #37 on: November 3, 2023, 02:57:37 pm »
My Flanniverse Netflix mini-series ratings:

1. Midnight Mass
2. Haunting of Hill House
3. House of Usher
4. Midnight Club
5. Haunting of Bly Manor

Like them all; his rep company of actors, though Henry Thomas is awful in Bligh Manor, his approach to horror and reimagining of classics. Even the Easter Eggs.

Mine is similar but I've not seen all 5.

1. House Of Usher
2. Midnight Mass
3. Hill House
4. Bly Manor

I will watch Midnight Club, It's on my list after Burning Girls, Payback, The Challenging, Bodies, 30 Coins, The Enfield Poltergeist and there's a few Korean shows I've downloaded to my Plex server. It's a good job I'm not a fan of going out  ;D