Author Topic: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig  (Read 98697 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Westworld - HBO's next thingamajig
« Reply #760 on: June 4, 2018, 01:31:03 am »
I thought it was a fairly poor episode. I have no doubt it will come together in the end, but this season seems to be a lot more pedestrian in terms of plotting, some of which seems to be clumsily handled.

Spoiler
Maeve - continues to look for daughter, the outcome of which could not be less interesting or consequential. Anyone could have seen from a mile away what was going to happen at the end of the last episode. And now that she's found her, so what? Where does her character go next?

Dolores - This entire season, six episodes deep, she seems to have had very little to do except to make very gradual progress to the Delos control centre, which strangely, isn't a thing that she mentioned that was necessarily her objective at any point before this. Again, what happens now that she's there? Will it just be a big firefight? In which case, what are the stakes?

Man in Black - The intrigue about whether he might be a host is interesting, but as for the rest? Where is he actually going? Is it just another big shootout with no stakes except whether or not William dies? Ultimately, who cares?
[close]

At the end of the day, I'm finding myself not very invested in the fates of any of the characters. I am interested in some of the twists to come, and how things will come together, but at this point I'm more interested in if/how things come together, than I am in the specific arcs of any of the characters. And I don't think that's good enough for a show of this size. I will keep watching this probably to the very end, more because of the outrageous production values and great cast, than because I think this show will ever be considered in the same breath as the great shows.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #761 on: June 4, 2018, 02:07:54 pm »
This show might set a record for the number of times a main character is about to die only for to be saved by someone or something else interrupting.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: June 4, 2018, 02:17:59 pm »
This show has gone completely off the rails. I don't usually like to waste time obsessing over plot, so long as the goods are delivered elsewhere, but the plot and the characterisation are just so awful here. This should have been a massive episode full of drama and tension, but as I said in my previous post, there are just no stakes with these characters. I'm not emotionally at all invested in their hopes and dreams. I don't give a fuck about Maeve. I don't give a fuck about Dolores. I don't give a fuck about Bernard or William. I've never seen a show collapse in on itself so utterly.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: June 4, 2018, 03:59:02 pm »
This show has gone completely off the rails. I don't usually like to waste time obsessing over plot, so long as the goods are delivered elsewhere, but the plot and the characterisation are just so awful here. This should have been a massive episode full of drama and tension, but as I said in my previous post, there are just no stakes with these characters. I'm not emotionally at all invested in their hopes and dreams. I don't give a fuck about Maeve. I don't give a fuck about Dolores. I don't give a fuck about Bernard or William. I've never seen a show collapse in on itself so utterly.

That's not true, detective
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #764 on: June 4, 2018, 09:24:01 pm »
That certainly kicked up a notch!! Enjoyed that one
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: June 5, 2018, 12:18:50 am »
Have no idea what's going off in this.
No time for caution.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: June 5, 2018, 05:02:33 am »
That's not true, detective

Spoiler
I think the key thing for me is, I have no interest in the emotional arcs of the characters. There was a lot of sturm and drang about the sacrifice of a few hosts in this, and a lot of pain from Dolores and Maeve, but I just couldn't be arsed. None of it made me feel anything because they haven't sold me on the central emotional conceit of these characters, which is that, even having 'awoken', they continue to have lasting emotional links to their implanted memories/connections to characters.

It doesn't work for me, because we never got the front end of those connections. We saw a tiny bit of it last season in the first episode with Dolores and Peter Abernathy, and Maeve's flashback to her daughter, but that's literally it. Second season, suddenly we're expected to feel an emotional response to these character relationships, even though the show never did the groundwork to make us care in the first place. Our interest in these relationships is conceptual only, and not at all visceral.

For this same reason, because the emotional bona fides haven't been established with the host characters, I also don't particularly care about Ford's motivations to set the hosts free against a bunch of, albeit awful humans. I don't particularly like the hosts. They may have motivations, but they're thinly drawn and very rarely particularly likeable. They're just beautiful, angry cardboard cutouts, because perhaps, necessarily, their existence as hosts didn't allow them to live the most rich emotional lives. But even then I don't buy it. We've had plenty of robot stories before where the machines are far more sympathetic - Blade Runner and AI just off the top of my head.

It's similar for William and his daughter, who wasn't even a character until 4 episodes ago. Suddenly, they've summoned up a story about how his wife killed herself, and we're expected to believe that:

A. William wants to be killed playing the game, and
B. Emily is especially invested in that, one way or another.

And then there's the matter of the Ghost Nation. I'm sure they'll turn out to be very important and all (it looks like we're getting a whole episode focused on them soon), but at the moment they're just showing up with no context and creating a bit of chaos. Again, the complete lack of context here just drives me nuts.
[close]

I'll keep watching because it's got incredible production values, but it's not great television.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: June 5, 2018, 07:06:57 am »
Spoiler
I think the key thing for me is, I have no interest in the emotional arcs of the characters. There was a lot of sturm and drang about the sacrifice of a few hosts in this, and a lot of pain from Dolores and Maeve, but I just couldn't be arsed. None of it made me feel anything because they haven't sold me on the central emotional conceit of these characters, which is that, even having 'awoken', they continue to have lasting emotional links to their implanted memories/connections to characters.

It doesn't work for me, because we never got the front end of those connections. We saw a tiny bit of it last season in the first episode with Dolores and Peter Abernathy, and Maeve's flashback to her daughter, but that's literally it. Second season, suddenly we're expected to feel an emotional response to these character relationships, even though the show never did the groundwork to make us care in the first place. Our interest in these relationships is conceptual only, and not at all visceral.

For this same reason, because the emotional bona fides haven't been established with the host characters, I also don't particularly care about Ford's motivations to set the hosts free against a bunch of, albeit awful humans. I don't particularly like the hosts. They may have motivations, but they're thinly drawn and very rarely particularly likeable. They're just beautiful, angry cardboard cutouts, because perhaps, necessarily, their existence as hosts didn't allow them to live the most rich emotional lives. But even then I don't buy it. We've had plenty of robot stories before where the machines are far more sympathetic - Blade Runner and AI just off the top of my head.

It's similar for William and his daughter, who wasn't even a character until 4 episodes ago. Suddenly, they've summoned up a story about how his wife killed herself, and we're expected to believe that:

A. William wants to be killed playing the game, and
B. Emily is especially invested in that, one way or another.

And then there's the matter of the Ghost Nation. I'm sure they'll turn out to be very important and all (it looks like we're getting a whole episode focused on them soon), but at the moment they're just showing up with no context and creating a bit of chaos. Again, the complete lack of context here just drives me nuts.
[close]

I'll keep watching because it's got incredible production values, but it's not great television.

I was making a joke (True Detective)! Damn it!

I do agree though, I'm losing interest and I was never invested in the mystery in the first place
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #768 on: June 5, 2018, 09:12:41 am »
This show is certainly suffering from it's lack of characters to get invested in.

It's really hard to care too much about the hosts and the human characters are just a load of nothingness. There's only the MIB who's been given any kind of character but even his motivations are completely confusing at this point.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #769 on: June 5, 2018, 02:18:13 pm »
I'll keep watching to give my support to The Other Hemsworth Brother.

Spoiler
The Bernard reveal was really odd. It should have been huge, a thing that happened at the end of the episode. But it just meant...nothing. All those years they've been fooled, and not much of a shit seemed to be given.
[close]
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #770 on: June 5, 2018, 02:52:57 pm »
I've no idea what is going on, who anyone is, what side they are on, what their motives are.

Is it basically very rich people looking for immortality?

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: June 5, 2018, 03:42:09 pm »
I've no idea what is going on, who anyone is, what side they are on, what their motives are.

Is it basically very rich people looking for immortality?

Spoiler
it's very rich people looking for immortality, possibly replacing existing humans without their consent, and they're the bad guys vs killer robots who want to wipe out mankind

Which side are you on?
[close]

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #772 on: June 5, 2018, 03:48:43 pm »
Spoiler
William (an OAP) gets shot at close range, maybe what at least 3-4 times? Still up and about and evading interaction with the WW army guys etc.  ::)
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: June 5, 2018, 03:53:29 pm »
Spoiler
William (an OAP) gets shot at close range, maybe what at least 3-4 times? Still up and about and evading interaction with the WW army guys etc.  ::)
[close]

Spoiler
possibly a robot
[close]

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #774 on: June 5, 2018, 03:54:38 pm »
Spoiler
possibly a robot
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #775 on: June 5, 2018, 08:49:27 pm »
A brilliant episode one of the best.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #776 on: June 5, 2018, 08:55:38 pm »
I do love this programme, but for such a slick, well produced show I wish they’d never put that gun belt around Delores, it looks so cliche.
Spoiler
I’d also have preferred Ford to have come back a couple of episodes earlier, Anthony Hopkins acting is just superb and brings so much sinisterness and complexity.
[close]
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #777 on: June 5, 2018, 10:02:18 pm »
I do love this programme, but for such a slick, well produced show I wish they’d never put that gun belt around Delores, it looks so cliche.
Spoiler
I’d also have preferred Ford to have come back a couple of episodes earlier, Anthony Hopkins acting is just superb and brings so much sinisterness and complexity.
[close]

Isnt it meant to be cliche. Westworld is the romantic view of what Americans think of the Wild West what they based the theme park on.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: June 6, 2018, 12:55:44 am »
One of these timelines/threads is definitely going to turn out to be a simulation inside the Arc.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #779 on: June 6, 2018, 01:02:38 am »
Best of the series so far. Loved it. Intrigued what any connection between Maeve and The Ghost Nation might be. Would like to see more of them.

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: June 6, 2018, 04:45:55 am »
Those who, like me are struggling to keep up with the narrative, I've been listening to these guys: https://www.fancritical.com/podcasts/

They give a pretty detailed break down of every episode and have a "theory corner" section that discusses potentially deeper meanings. It's helped me to get it a little more anyway!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #781 on: June 6, 2018, 08:25:34 am »
Isnt it meant to be cliche. Westworld is the romantic view of what Americans think of the Wild West what they based the theme park on.
Isn't Delores supposed to be past that though? She's not working to any script or narrative of Westworld, she's meant to be fully conscious and making her own decisions.

It's like the gun belt has been out there to make her look tougher. All she needs is some designer stubble to finish the cliche.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: June 6, 2018, 11:37:26 pm »
Isn't Delores supposed to be past that though? She's not working to any script or narrative of Westworld, she's meant to be fully conscious and making her own decisions.

It's like the gun belt has been out there to make her look tougher. All she needs is some designer stubble to finish the cliche.

Her dress is lacking pockets though  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #783 on: June 7, 2018, 06:45:44 pm »

Are we talking about Westworld or Brexit here?

Its riddle in a mystery...we rewatch the previous episode before each new one to keep track.

Note: Drinking whilst watching adds to the confusion.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: June 7, 2018, 08:22:13 pm »
Multiple timelines thing is good if it happened once or if it went for 1-2 episodes. Having it happen throughout the season moving at a snail's pace is bad. Someone is looking for this, another one is looking for that, and a lot of irrelevant things happen in between.

Very disappointing season mostly because the expectation was sky high.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #785 on: June 11, 2018, 03:35:52 pm »
2x08 - simply beautiful.
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: June 11, 2018, 04:33:21 pm »
Spoiler
Aye, almost a shame we have to go back to the dumb cliche robot-human war when they can deliver character-focused episodes like that.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #787 on: June 11, 2018, 07:54:58 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #788 on: June 11, 2018, 08:13:55 pm »
This episode will win awards.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: June 11, 2018, 08:23:01 pm »
This episode will win awards.

It was a great episode,we were spoiled last night as Fear was also brilliant.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline MikaelLFC

• King of the Stream
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wir glauben, Jürgen
« Reply #790 on: June 12, 2018, 08:30:16 am »
That was a really great episode!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #791 on: June 12, 2018, 11:15:41 am »
That was a really great episode!

It was and my first thought when it started was to moan about another build up of a character I don't give a shit about. Glad I was proved dead wrong. Loved it. Beautiful and emotional all around.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online cptrios

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: June 12, 2018, 12:22:50 pm »
It was and my first thought when it started was to moan about another build up of a character I don't give a shit about. Glad I was proved dead wrong. Loved it. Beautiful and emotional all around.

Spoiler
They did that so well that if Dolores (a character I care less about with each passing episode, having begun with a care level of nearly zero) ends up killing him I might quit watching the show for a month or two.
[close]

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #793 on: June 12, 2018, 01:19:10 pm »
Loved the slow piano version of Heart Shaped Box too, fitted in brilliantly with the episode.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #794 on: June 12, 2018, 03:54:51 pm »
Thought with 6 and 7 it started to use some padding , but 8 was Brilliant, poetic with stunning scenery shots.. took show to a new level in  telling its story.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #795 on: June 12, 2018, 11:00:44 pm »
That was epic story telling, absolutely epic.

Going to have to rewatch it a couple of times.

Savored it like a fine meal - just stunning.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: June 12, 2018, 11:40:20 pm »
Ok, wow, what an episode. Storytelling at its finest.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #797 on: June 12, 2018, 11:46:38 pm »
A brilliant episode I guess

Spoiler
when he was telling the story in English he was talking to the little girl and when he used his native tongue (I was reading they used the actors real native tongue for the show  (Lakota) and the title of the episode is their word for "remember") he was talking to Maeve.

It looks like he was the first robot to become self aware even before Dolores.
[close]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:47:48 am by Trada »

Offline WTF?

• Anny Roader
  • These go to 11
« Reply #798 on: June 13, 2018, 07:53:04 am »

My thoughts exactly!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #799 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:52 am »
Improving as season goes on. Episodes 7 and 8 have been brilliant.