Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
« on: August 3, 2010, 11:11:25 am »
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
Directed By Edgar Wright

Release Date : 25th August 2010

"An Epic Of Epicness"

The film is based graphic novel Scott Pilgrim Volume 1: Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, written by Bryan Lee O'Malley

This film deserves to be massive but hasnt had that much coverage yet.

Best Trailer

« Last Edit: August 5, 2010, 05:11:47 pm by kieranbaillie »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
« Reply #1 on: August 3, 2010, 11:27:54 am »
I'm gonna be first in line for this. Huge fan of the books, huge fan of Edgar Wright, and massive, massive fan of the trailers that I've seen so far.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 3, 2010, 11:34:24 am »
I'm gonna be first in line for this. Huge fan of the books, huge fan of Edgar Wright, and massive, massive fan of the trailers that I've seen so far.

Ditto.

Although I only picked up the books after  hearing about the film last year, from the look of the trailers Edgar Wright seems to have done justice to them and this could be a pivotal film for him and really launch him in the states.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 3, 2010, 11:38:30 am »
The thing is that Scott Pilgrim as a property could have ended up as a horrible steaming mess that was only tangentially related to the creator's vision. Edgar Wright is about the only director in all the world who could have taken the book and translate it to the screen without losing any of the humor and energy. As perfect a combination as chocolate and peanut butter.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 3, 2010, 11:40:24 am »
As perfect a combination as chocolate and peanut butter.

As im not a fan of peanuts, Id have gone with peas and carrots. But I get your point  :)

Hunter S. Thompso
n

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2010, 02:36:59 pm »
Never heard of it prior to seeing the trailer a few months ago, since then I've managed to read the comic books, looking forward to this.

Incidentally, also just finished watching Spaced, Edgar Wright is class.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2010, 02:54:06 pm »
With Edgar Wright directing, it should be good.

Looks to be that with Vaughn, Nolan and hopefully Wright, if you need a good comic book film created, hire a Brit. The exception will probably be Branagh with the 'Thor' film.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2010, 04:24:16 pm »
Been a huge fan of the books for a while now and Shaun of the Dead and Spaced are high up in my favourite films and TV shows so I've got high hopes for this.

I was wary of Cera being cast at first, he doesn't seem right for Scott but the trailers and early reviews have settled it for me, he looks perfect. The early reviews have all been extremely positive too, even from people who didn't like the books.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #8 on: August 3, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »
wow, i must look out for this, it looks a lotta fun

Offline markten4

• Main Stander
  • Bald of head and round of belly.
« Reply #9 on: August 3, 2010, 10:13:13 pm »
Just reading the last book now.  An excellent series, very original.  Will be interested to see how it translates to film, but so far, and with Edgar Wright at the helm, all signs are promising.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." - Bob Paisley

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 9, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/08/05/scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world-interactive-trailer/

Check out the interactive trailer. It's remade to look like a classic Nintendo game, but full of little trivia factoids about the movie.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2010, 02:50:52 pm »
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28575

These faux posters for Chris Evan's character are good too, love stuff like that.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 9, 2010, 03:03:04 pm »
I am praying this is good as between this, Kick Ass and Inception, Hollywood will get the kick up the ass that it has needed for a while.

Offline Vintage Nerd

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 9, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »
I am praying this is good as between this, Kick Ass and Inception, Hollywood will get the kick up the ass that it has needed for a while.

its had nothing but positve reviews from the previews that got aired in the states last week, so it looks like onwards and upwards.

Hunter S. Thompso
n

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 9, 2010, 04:26:29 pm »
http://www.empireonline.com/news/feed.asp?NID=28575

These faux posters for Chris Evan's character are good too, love stuff like that.

Haha, they're hilarious, "The good news is you're going to live. The bad news is he's going to kill you". - ACTION DOCTOR

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 9, 2010, 04:30:28 pm »

This has been a magnificent year for movies so far, and it's not even over.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline dalebert

• Anny Roader
  • The Man In Black
« Reply #16 on: August 9, 2010, 04:53:10 pm »
Seen a trailer of this last night and thought it looked excellent - can't wait to see it  8)
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2010, 05:32:48 pm »

We're only like halfway through the Oscar year as well, any early runners for Best Movie/Director you think?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 9, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »
We're only like halfway through the Oscar year as well, any early runners for Best Movie/Director you think?

I think Nolan will get a nod for Inception and probably in the best film category with it having ten slots now. I mean if nonsense like Avatar can get nominated, why not?

Up to now there haven't been hardly any typical awards bait movies, Shutter Island might get a look in. Looking ahead The Town, Wall Street 2, The Social Network,  and the Coen's True Grit could be the frontrunners. Sofia Coppola has also got a new film out in the winter.

Toy Story 3 will obviously win the Animated category.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »
Quote from: Finn Solomon on Today at 04:30:28 PM

But but, the Brits are going to save!! Hollywood.

Offline Lent§

• RAWK Stuff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2010, 06:05:36 pm »
Best Movie is clearly Karate Kid

;)
psn = Lents123

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 03:18:08 am »

I don't really watch 'Oscar-worthy' movies, but I'm hoping Inception will get rewarded.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline N-Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2010, 12:14:15 am »
This is out today (well later on today), seems to be getting some good reviews. Looking forward to watching it over the weekend.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 02:07:05 am »
The Social Network looks a truly terrible idea for a movie and a bad movie its self.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »
Really enjoyed this. It was like a junior version of High Fidelity with lashings of Sing Star and Street Fighter.

Lots to enjoy. Unfortunately, it didn't do so well at the US box office, but hopefully it has a life world wide on on dvd.

Not perfect but loads of fun.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 06:00:31 pm »
I have asked many people if they want to watch Scott Pilgrim and the majority are not interested. Clearly this film does not appeal to the masses and really studio's should not be putting the budget as high as it was. Why they were not able to do this film on the budget of Kick Ass, I will never know.

That said, I saw it and thought it was excellent. Cera is still shit though.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2010, 06:03:48 pm »
Random for this thread but I agree.

Sorry, I saw it mentioned above. It's a reflex action.

I have asked many people if they want to watch Scott Pilgrim and the majority are not interested.

I find myself in the same boat. Most of them just blame Cera for not going though. Poor 2D, type-cast bastard.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2010, 06:06:24 pm »
and yet Scott Pilgrim is his biggest departure from his normal type of role

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2010, 06:07:02 pm »

Yeah, but its him though.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2010, 06:10:29 pm »
So you just don't like his face then?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 06:15:24 pm »
So you just don't like his face then?

He is incredibly unlikeable. But having said that, the film was ace. Not as good as Kick Ass, but close.

Offline Juan Loco

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 06:16:52 pm »

Will make a judgement when I've seen it, but I can understand why they don't want to watch him when they're only going off the strength of the adverts. Let's face it, it may be completely different to anything he's ever done before, but you'd find it hard to tell looking at him.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 06:19:38 pm »
Love the avatar/personal text, Rusty.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 09:50:10 pm »

its pretty much exactly him in every other film, plus some video game fight scenes and acerbic captions.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2010, 10:05:13 pm »
They should have cast Aaron Johnson. They did well to make him look like a nerd in Kick Ass, when he is quite clearly not.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2010, 12:00:05 am »
Just got in from seeing this and loved it. Surprised it did so poorly in the US but can see it doing alright over here.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2010, 08:10:04 pm »
Love the avatar/personal text, Rusty.

;) I re-read all the books over the past week and it's one of my favourite bits, and they didn't even use it in the film!

its pretty much exactly him in every other film, plus some video game fight scenes and acerbic captions.

I'd disagree strongly with that, he's completely different to from Superbad or Arrested Development. Scott isn't hilariously awkward or shy, he's basically a lovable idiot, doesn't Ramona say a number of times thats she with him because she wants something 'simple'? Cera has always played the smart/nerdy kid who's uncomfortable in his own skin whereas Scott is confident and full of energy but doesn't even know how stupid or horrible to other people he is. I was initially sceptical about him as Scott, but I was happily surprised by his performance here, he nails every facet of the character, the clueless nature, the nervous energy and his great comic timing really sells the one-liners. He was even convincing as an action star, the stuntman fight and the sword battle at the end actually had me convinced he could take on all these people and win.
I find the general hatred towards him a little bizarre to be honest, I know he's played samey characters but he's done that in what, three films and a tv show over nearly a decade? Why does no-one complain of Bruce Willis or Bill Murray playing the same role over and over? He's not even overbearingly aggressive with his gags like Jack Black, he's so innocuous...meh.

Anyway, the film is fantastic, I really love it and I want to see it again immediately. The real star of this film is of course, Edgar Wright and his editing. The film was an absolute cavalcade of editing tricks that kept impressing as the film went on, the split screen use to evoke the feel of streetfighter games, the inclusion of O'Malley's drawings, the onscreen text, the musical cues, and transitions to bring to mind the feeling of a comic book and it all just flowed perfectly. It's bandied about a bit but I genuinely believe that this is something that's never been seen before, sure he is heavily influenced by videogames, manga, movies etc but bringing it all together with so much energy and momentum, without it being a total mess, condensing over a 1000 pages worth of material and making every character stand out is the work of a very gifted filmaker. I can see why this isn't a massive hit because of this, it's almost exhausting the amount of stuff going on at the same time but it's never incomprehensible and the material will only really appeal (and make sense to?) to a very small demographic.

It has so many great little jokes and I'm sure this will be very rewarding on repeat viewings. It's amazing how many characters are in this and yet they all get moments to shine and a few people like Wallace Wells, Kim Pine and Young Neil very nearly steal the film. Then there's the Seinfeld gag, and the Vegan Police, and everything that Chris Evans says, and how Mark Webber is an absolutely perfect Stephen Stills look and act-alike from the comics, and the fact that someone dies by orgasm and who knew Brandon Routh was so funny?

I've seen some complaints that the film is all hype and bluster with no heart or emotion but I think we get a fair bit of that and it's also the whole point of the story - it's built on the idea of a guy trying to get over his girlfriend's past transgressions, which in turn reflect his own (Envy, Kim and Knives). As he gets over her past ("Scott earned the POWER OF LOVE!"), he gets over his own ("Scott earned the POWER OF SELF RESPECT!") and finds that there is something in his life worth working towards with Ramona once he get's over her baggage (the ex's). There are constant references to doorways, through time and space and everything else, which Scott uses at the end to move out of his manchild period and into full-blown adulthood. A little simple perhaps but it's still very true.

Can't wait to see it again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:12:22 pm by Rusty Oysterburger »

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »
i love michael cera :}
hope its a good movie, going to see it soon
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline Danyaals Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • allez les rouges
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 09:01:56 pm »
I think it might just be worth watching :D

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2010, 02:41:20 am »
Was sold out at the Odeon on Wednesday, which put paid to my fears of it totally flopping over here as well as in the US, although the downside was that I couldn't see it.  Hopefully I'll catch it on Tuesday, already wiki'd it to see how the ending differs (script was written about the same time as the final book) and it seems worthy of holding my nerd-rage in check.  Certainly better than the total cop out that was Kick Ass (or the unmitigated mess that was Wanted).