Author Topic: Support mechanisms and resources for families with Alzheimers/Dementia patients  (Read 1716 times)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
I did a search last night and found various references to dementia and Alzheimer's (can we also include Parkinson's here?), but spread across different threads, none of which appeared to be recent.

Several RAWKites have had direct experience with family members and loved ones suffering from these horrid conditions.

Now my partner's grandmother's condition has deteriorated to an unmanageable state (she's hallucinating things like the ceiling caving in, prompting her to try to open her 3rd floor window and jump out to escape  :o ) and we're looking around for various resources with advice on how to cope.

Who here can point us in the right direction of some materials or resources that have proven to be useful fo you? We could ask Uncle Google but any answers are only as good as the questions you ask - and the results are always somewhat generic.

I also thought this might become a thread that can offer wider assistance to people in a similar position.

RAWK is an incredible resource in and of itself, so I'm hopeful we will receive some valuable input.

My heart goes out to anyone in my partner's position - her gran's been a widow for decades and lives with my partner's mother, who herself is single - two old ladies stuck in a small apartment with limited resources and time  :-\

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
If anyone does have ideas or suggestions, I'll be all-ears.

My mum has Alzheimers and the options are extremely limited.

My dad (85) is struggling, but a lot is of his own making as he initially protected her from the diagnosis so she refuses to accept there's any problem. But now it's pretty much daily that she'll have a spell where she doesn't recognise him as her husband, thinks their house isn't theirs (they've been there 55 years), and wants to go home to her mum and dad (who died in '74 and '82) to a house that was slum-cleared in 1970. She called my 26 times in 2 hours last night to ask me to come through to take her home. And he won't take the fucking phone off her (she has times when she goes through all the numbers in the phone and calls them - often staying silent at the other end, and sometimes in the middle of the night, including to my dad's friends). She has him take her out in the car every fucking day (his driving isn't great now) and he won't say no, even though it's sending him under.

But then, she's superficially functioning. You can have a conversation with her - even though you'll have the same conversation again and again and again. If you correct her at all, she gets aggressive-defensive and brushes it off as 'it slipped my mind' or say [with uncertain eyes] "oh yes, I remember now". I've tried to have a discussion with her to talk about her memory and condition but again she gets aggressive-defensive, saying it's just an age thing and I'm making her out like she should be in a home. Then gets upset. And I think 'what's the fucking point'?

Been through all this previously with my wife's mum.

It's a c*nt of a disease.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
My dad has it. The social worker and community nurse were boss but basically anything further costs money. He's not even getting NHS care beyond medicine.

A man who worked his whole life and all his savings are gone on care fees. His children and grandkids left nothing. He doesn't even recognise anyone. He thinks he's the President.

I looked at other support and all it meant was I was sharing horror stories with other people. Meanwhile I was being attacked in our home doing a good thing. Unless the wallet opened.

That's the system right now. That's my life right now.  And nobody really cares - watch the Tories get in again.

He would be better off dead.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:32:10 pm by ToneLa »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Can't give any advice, but have been through it with my father in law and now the mother in law has it. Thankfully, the mother in law stopped talking to the missus about 6 years ago, so at least the missus isn't dealing with this again. Her Dad was always a lovely man, so the dementia didn't bring any dark side out, her Ma has always been a fucking bitch, but was OK at hiding it from most people,the dementia has allowed the real her to come out and she's nasty.

Watching her Dad change from a very independent 83 yr old to basically a child almost overnight was awful - he barely recognised the wife, I'm sure he just thought I was someone he knew and he forgot the grandkids, who he doted on. Took him 14 months to die after going in a home, no way to end your life. He basically died a year before his body did. Her Ma thinks she is on holiday, has no idea where she is and again has no quality of life. She's at the stopped eating stage now, her body has stopped her appetite, so will be dead before long I reckon.

Like Tone says, the cost is disgusting, home for her Dad was £2700 a month, her Ma is in one that is £1900 a month. Luckily her Dads pension covered his fees and renting the Ma's house out and pensions covers that, but it's still a disgrace.
Jurgen YNWA

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Unfortunately I think once it's at the unmanageable stage there's not much support, help or encouragement available. 

As horrible as this sounds, it's pretty much a waiting game with fewer and fewer lucid moments but if you're lucky she won't linger too long.

It's a soul destroying illness for everyone experiencing it mate and I feel for anyone who's attempting to cope with it.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
At the beginning of this particular journey.

Mum can still have lengthy lucid moments, other times speaks nothing but bollocks for hours and its incredibly frustrating.

What i find hard to wrap my head around is the fact that she couldn't tell you what she had for tea but can recall things from the 60's and 70's with ease.

Could be a really useful thread this.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good luck anyone dealing with it.

As much as what happened in my family was devastating...

I'd genuinely be happy with having it worse than anyone else.

Make the good times last. You can have some fun with someone with this illness. For a bit. Before it gets too bad.

And you'll treasure the good times

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The wife's Dad was really struggling with memory and recognition , I took him for a drive one day, missus asked as it was likely the last time he'd be able to it, so I took him past old Trafford and then where he grew up and he recognised the ground and could remember where he lived and the infant school he went to, got really emotional too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Last match with my dad was watching us win the League Cup. We were locked arms, standing up, watching pens.

So that's SOMETHING. And this club... Yeahhhh it's a good memory I will never regret

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
Last match with my dad was watching us win the League Cup. We were locked arms, standing up, watching pens.

So that's SOMETHING. And this club... Yeahhhh it's a good memory I will never regret

My father loved football but the last time we brought him over to our place to watch a game he stared at the screen for a couple of minutes before asking me when I'd bought 'that fish tank'.

It sounds funny but the realisation that he could no longer enjoy something that until then had been his only remaining pleasure in life was horrible.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My father loved football but the last time we brought him over to our place to watch a game he stared at the screen for a couple of minutes before asking me when I'd bought 'that fish tank'.

It sounds funny but the realisation that he could no longer enjoy something that until then had been his only remaining pleasure in life was horrible.

Yeah sorry to hear that matey

My dad stopped being able to recognise Liverpool if we were in an away kit. Totally felt like the tipping point

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
I kinda was fearing it might turn out to be the case that there's little, if anything, we can do for our loved ones other than try to enjoy whatever lucid moments they have and try to keep the environment safe :(

Massive love and kudos to all who are sharing what your experiences are - I can't even begin to imagine how upsetting and painful it is. 🙏💔

What a fucking horrible thing to have happen, to lose one's mind like that and to lose much of the connection that may have existed to things they've loved for decades.

This thread could turn out to be more a resource to help us then, than them, knowing that the experiences we have are shared by many we can relate to - so neither they nor we walk alone......
« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 06:35:22 pm by 24∗7 »

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
Yeah sorry to hear that matey

My dad stopped being able to recognise Liverpool if we were in an away kit. Totally felt like the tipping point

It was the same when he no longer recognised our old dog.He walked her twice a day for years and she adored him,seeing him have absolutely no reaction to her was heartbreaking.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
I kinda was fearing it might turn out to be the case that there's little, if anything, we can do for our loved ones other than try to enjoy whatever lucid moments they have and try to keep the environment safe :(

What a fucking horrible thing to have happen, to lose one's mind like that and to lose much of the connection that may have existed to things they've loved for decades.

This thread could turn out to be more a resource to help us then, than them, knowing that the experiences we have are shared by many we can relate to - so neither they nor we walk alone......

There's nothing,we couldn't even get an ambulance when my father told us he'd taken an overdose.

We were taken to A&E in a police car.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Couldn’t find another thread on this. We have someone in the family with a vascular dementia diagnosis. Was diagnosed about a year ago after quite a few signs and a bit of burying heads in the sand. Definitely deteriorating more rapidly now.

Bit of a vicious circle - a lack of mobility, a couple of falls, leading to very little appetite for going out anywhere, doing any walks or exercise. So just sitting in all day, not having much contact with the outside world. And really tough for her other half, who is basically full time carer now and getting very little respite.

Not really after any advice as such, just seeing if anyone else is in a similar position or has gone through this before.

Offline Slippers

• Legacy Fan
The wife's Dad was really struggling with memory and recognition , I took him for a drive one day, missus asked as it was likely the last time he'd be able to it, so I took him past old Trafford and then where he grew up and he recognised the ground and could remember where he lived and the infant school he went to, got really emotional too.

My father had no memory of my mother,the home they shared for fifty odd years,my sister or any of his grandchildren.The only things he remembered were me and working in our horribly overgrown garden when we first moved into this house.
He'd light up when we talked about digging out the fishpond and cutting down the dead trees that used to stand where our bottom lawn is now.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
My Dad has been struggling with his memory for a while now. I suppose in hindsight I can see symptoms going back a decade or more (inability to find the right words specifically) but during the covid lockdowns, we noticed his memory becoming worse and his communication also deteriorating. A couple of years ago I tried to get a private diagnosis for him, but really struggled. Eventually got him onto an NHS memory clinic and he was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment about 12 months ago. He has gotten worse since then and yesterday I took him to be screened to join a clinical trial for early-stage Alzheimer's. He has been accepted, which is obviously both good (it might help) and bad (they are reasonably sure he has Alzheimer's).

His business, that he has run since 1986, went into administration a couple of months back. It has been extraordinarily difficult watching him trying to grasp what is happening. He's essentially completely incapable of dealing with any of the difficult things that arise from this sort of situation and I have had to step in and take over for a lot of it. I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself, and yet acutely aware that my frustration is only exceeded by his own frustration. I used to say my Dad was the smartest man I know. Now he can't even pay a bill without needing my help, and he regularly sends emails into the abyss (ranting at the Amazon no-reply email address etc!), although thankfully for now he is otherwise independent at home in terms of cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene.

All the "experts" say you have to try to not see it as a burden and just see it as an opportunity to form a different relationship, and try to make it a positive... but fucking hell it's hard sometimes. The thought of what might come a few years down the line is a bit overwhelming.

Loads of love to others who are caring for loved ones.

If anyone would like to see if there are any trials that are suitable for anyone they know who are struggling with their memory or cognitive ability, this is where we signed Dad up: https://www.brainandmindexperts.com/
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
That's heart breaking to read Rhi, loads of love to you and I hope you get any support that you, your dad and your family need x

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
That's heart breaking to read Rhi, loads of love to you and I hope you get any support that you, your dad and your family need x
Seconded. What a cruel and horrible disease that is for all concerned.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Seconded. What a cruel and horrible disease that is for all concerned.

Thank you both. Just needed to have a rant last night really! Hope the link I shared can help others who want to get their loved ones on clinical trials. Even if it doesn’t help us right now, maybe it’ll improve the lives of others in the future. x
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble

That doesn't sound funny at all and, sadly, I can completely relate.

Back in 2015(ish) my mum was telling me that she thought there was something not quite right with my dad. For some time I dismissed her concerns, and mostly because whenever I saw him (usually of a weekend), to me, he seemed okay. Admittedly, a bit forgetful, but that wasn't anything particularly new (when he retired he drove a taxi for a while and at that time I used to go round and have breakfast with him every morning. When he left the house I'd never say 'bye' to him, because I knew he'd be back at least once for something that he'd forgotten, be that keys, notebook, moneybelt, etc). I just put it down to normal symptoms of advancing age. Eventually my mum took him to be assessed and he was diagnosed with Alzheimers, which was a huge shock for me in particular. From that point on it got gradually worse, starting with little things, like him repeating conversations with you multiple times in the space of half an hour, or asking how a "new job" was going, when actually, you started that job a number of years ago. I sat eating breakfast one morning and he walked over to make a cup of coffee, by filling the mug with cold water and placing it directly onto the gas hob. As it progressed though, it was genuinely devastating to be forced to watch this amazing, powerful, independent man, who had been my hero for my entire life, slowly shrinking before my eyes. To see who he was as a person gradually being chipped away at, day by day, until there was nothing left. Just a shell. Occasionally there were glimpses. A laugh, or a "watchya boy" as I walked in the door, that just for a second made me remember him and who he was. In 2016 we took him and my mum on holiday to the south of France, in a villa. I thought it would be a nice break for my mum, who had already been coping admirably with everything up to that point and in typical fashion, refusing to admit that she needed any help ("he's my husband, I'll take care of him"). We woke up on the second morning and my dad had forced the back door of the villa open and was nowhere to be seen. We were up in the hills outside Cannes, it was a red hot day and nobody there spoke any English. To say that entire morning was terrifying would be an understatement. Eventually he was picked up by a French firefighter and taken to the local hospital, confused and dehydrated. I spent the rest of the holiday sleeping in front of the door, and when we got home we literally nailed the big windows shut (we'd already had incidents of him climbing out and walking the 7 miles to a nearby village and his childhood home, which as time wore on, he was convinced was still where he lived).

Back to the quoted statement from Slippers, though. The last game that my dad and I went to was Wolves at home in the FA Cup, January 2017. We actually got into hospitality that day, which usually would be exactly the kind of environment that my dad would thrive in. He was incredibly social and football was his passion. So, we find ourselves sat on one of the big, round tables, with a few other blokes, some on a jolly, another couple with their young lads. As is the way, people were making conversation, asking what we thought the team would be, the result, all of the usual. And my dad didn't say a word. Not to anyone. Not one. That big, confident man I'd known, always the life and soul of any party, was visibly shrinking in his seat next to me. The ability to communicate and to function in a social setting no longer there, and confidence non-existent. On the way home I asked him what he thought of the game and he just smiled and nodded, nothing to add. Looking back, that moment crushed me probably more than anything that had happened up to then, because it was his passion. A passion that he passed onto me, which subsequently became something that we had always shared. And now, just like that, that was all gone. That part of him, erased. As time went on I would occasionally ask him if he'd seen our latest score, and he would inevitably say no, he hadn't, and feign interest as I tried to tell him about the game, as if to cling to that part of him for as long as I possibly could, or to revive it, I don't know, really.

In terms of help and support, though, it all felt extremely convoluted as well as expensive. Everything was funneled via our local council, who were actually helpful, but with hands tied, as with everything. There were various programs and support mechanisms that they steered us towards, but in terms of significant support for my mum on a day-to-day basis, there was very little, and the reason being that when they would ask "can he dress, wash and feed himself", the answer was 'yes', at which point the support was not available to him. All I wanted back then was for somebody to stop by on a regular basis, to check if everything was okay and that my mum was coping. I was doing that as well, whenever I could, but I'd moved away by then and was also working full time, which made it difficult. The support that we ended up with was a local volunteer coming to take my dad out for a walk with him a couple of morning a week, which was actually a positive thing all around, and a further morning/afternoon outing with a charity run group. There was also the option of some 'respite support' for my mum as a sole carer, which essentially involved my dad going into a local care facility for a few days, but this, from memory, was available something like twice a year. I think my mum needed that break, but she felt unbelievable guilt at even allowing for it to happen as well. We took my dad to ours for the weekend a couple of times, again, to give my mum that break, and I can honestly say that those were the most challenging, exhausting weekends I've ever had. I have twin three year old boys and they were/are nothing in comparison. After those weekends, the respect and admiration I had for my mum, in the way that she had looked after my dad every single day, almost solely on her own, and without a murmur of complaint, was unbelievable. What she did for him in those final few years was astonishing and I told her that whenever she would listen. I'm not sure what advice I would offer on this point, though, other than to speak with your local council and ask them to clarify exactly what support systems are available in your area, as I did. They should at the very least be able to confirm that, as well as likely costs, and support that would be available to help cover those. There are usually charities and local groups that meet in local areas that can help in terms of finding others in similar situations to talk to, or to allow the carer(s) of affected loved ones some temporary respite. If it reaches a point whereby full time residential care is necessary, that will also go via the council, as they will have access to a budget to put towards associated costs, and from there it becomes a question of whether you and/or your family are able to top that figure up or not. The answer to that question will determine what options are available. Our council covered £500p/w in residential costs, and the place where my dad was housed in the end charged £850p/w (we asked them whether that could be reduced at all and was told a flat 'no'), with us, as a family, covering the 'gap' payment. The other context with this is that my dad had already been placed in two or three other places by this stage, and had broken out of all of them (one of them not far from a main road), and the final choice was made as it was considered to be the only option where his safety could be guaranteed, so we had no other choices. It's absolutely scandalous how much it costs, and the fact that these facilities are all private, profit making enterprises, sickens me, to be honest. As far as I'm concerned social care should be under the remit of the NHS.

My dad eventually passed away in that care home in April, 2020, and the strange thing was, although I was obviously devastated, I'd actually been processing the loss for a number of years at that point, which, in a truly horrible way, was actually a blessing because there wasn't the shock factor that you often get with loss like that. At least that's how I felt.

The one thing that I remain eternally grateful for though, is that he never forgot who I was. In those last few weeks he was in the local hospital and I walked into his ward one afternoon and his face beamed as he announced to the room; "This is my son". I'll never forget that, and it's a moment that I will hold onto forever, as probably the final glimpse of my dad.

My heart goes out to anyone going through similar with their loved ones.

He has gotten worse since then and yesterday I took him to be screened to join a clinical trial for early-stage Alzheimer's. He has been accepted, which is obviously both good (it might help) and bad (they are reasonably sure he has Alzheimer's).

I'm truly sorry to read this as well, but hopefully the trial is a success and it helps to slow the advancement and/or minimise symptoms. Fingers crossed for your dad.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2023, 12:05:25 pm by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I'm truly sorry to read this as well, but hopefully the trial is a success and it helps to slow the advancement and/or minimise symptoms. Fingers crossed for your dad.

Thanks for posting all that mate. It's really a fucking horrible disease. Had tears in my eyes in lots of places, but it really is lovely that he never forgot who you are. Hope you're doing well. x

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
How is your dad doing Rhi?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Mum has just been diagnosed. It’s been ongoing for a few years but couldn’t get her to agree to go to the doc. To an outsider she would seem ok - she’s gotten good at hiding it.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Mum has just been diagnosed. It’s been ongoing for a few years but couldn’t get her to agree to go to the doc. To an outsider she would seem ok - she’s gotten good at hiding it.

Sorry to hear that.  :(

How's your dad doing, Rhi?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
To an outsider she would seem ok - she’s gotten good at hiding it.

Sorry to hear that mate. It's not nice news to get, even if you sort of know it.

I say sometimes that I feel like my Dad's gaslighting me. Comes across as completely fine to other people. Then when he needs to do something like pay a bill, it's like a completely alien concept to him. It's one of the most difficult things. The other week he was chatting away with a couple of (not close) friends of the family. One of them remarked to one aunty that "D seems really good!" and my aunty asked "Did he recognise you?"... "Yeah!"... meanwhile my Dad was asking my other aunty who they were :(.

Check out that RE:Cognition Health company I mention above to see if there are any trials you can get her on. If nothing else, you feel like you're doing something. I think you're in NI so not sure they have a site there but worth looking. What I've found is that really you have to take matters into your own hands if you want any sort of medication / support / whatever. It's tough going.

Thanks John & Jill for asking. He's OK. He's still mostly independent in terms of hygiene and cooking etc and obviously the longer that is the case, the better for everyone. He's an absolute liability when it comes to anything else though. The clinical trial hasn't been hugely successful as far as I can tell although potentially the decline has slowed. Hard to know on an individual level isn't it? We've got another NHS memory clinic check up next week.

One thing I would say is that people in the community have been really great. He has gone to the same pub every Friday & Sunday basically for as long as I can remember. There are a group of "men in the pub" and they had all been aware for a while that his cognitive ability was failing. One guy (a scouser and a Red) invites him over for dinner a couple of times a month, another acted as the "certificate provider" when we did the power of attorney forms, others play golf with him, despite the fact he forgets he's already hit the ball and has another go :lmao... I pop down once in a while for a beer with them all on a Friday and it warms my heart really to see them involving him and treating him the same as ever despite him being quite hard work at times.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for all that! Your dad’s mates are absolute saints. I do think she’d benefit from more of a social life. She lost her closest friend to cancer 9 years ago, then her wee sister. Both way too young. They were her social life and I don’t think she’s going to get over them passing. She’s now quite reclusive with little interest in leaving the house. She’s also v hard on my dad at times and accuses family of stealing things, which is both heartbreaking and frustrating.

The thing that is the most frustrating is that, like so many Irish people of her generation, she was raised with a really unhealthy attitude towards mental health. She stigmatises it. I think succumbing to something like this makes her angry.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Sorry to hear that mate. It's not nice news to get, even if you sort of know it.

I say sometimes that I feel like my Dad's gaslighting me. Comes across as completely fine to other people. Then when he needs to do something like pay a bill, it's like a completely alien concept to him. It's one of the most difficult things. The other week he was chatting away with a couple of (not close) friends of the family. One of them remarked to one aunty that "D seems really good!" and my aunty asked "Did he recognise you?"... "Yeah!"... meanwhile my Dad was asking my other aunty who they were :(.

Check out that RE:Cognition Health company I mention above to see if there are any trials you can get her on. If nothing else, you feel like you're doing something. I think you're in NI so not sure they have a site there but worth looking. What I've found is that really you have to take matters into your own hands if you want any sort of medication / support / whatever. It's tough going.

Thanks John & Jill for asking. He's OK. He's still mostly independent in terms of hygiene and cooking etc and obviously the longer that is the case, the better for everyone. He's an absolute liability when it comes to anything else though. The clinical trial hasn't been hugely successful as far as I can tell although potentially the decline has slowed. Hard to know on an individual level isn't it? We've got another NHS memory clinic check up next week.

One thing I would say is that people in the community have been really great. He has gone to the same pub every Friday & Sunday basically for as long as I can remember. There are a group of "men in the pub" and they had all been aware for a while that his cognitive ability was failing. One guy (a scouser and a Red) invites him over for dinner a couple of times a month, another acted as the "certificate provider" when we did the power of attorney forms, others play golf with him, despite the fact he forgets he's already hit the ball and has another go :lmao... I pop down once in a while for a beer with them all on a Friday and it warms my heart really to see them involving him and treating him the same as ever despite him being quite hard work at times.

It's good that for now it's slowed at the very least, maybe you will learn more at the memory clinic fingers crossed. I am glad he can still do some things, which at least takes some of the pressure off  the family. I love the fact that he is still mixing with people and going out socially, it's so easy for people to become isolated when they have these conditions. I know my mum used to love her Fridays at the hospice, she always seemed to be bubbling coming back from that. It makes such a difference when there is a good social group around them, long may that continue. As for the extra goes on the golf course, all power to him I say.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks for all that! Your dad’s mates are absolute saints. I do think she’d benefit from more of a social life. She lost her closest friend to cancer 9 years ago, then her wee sister. Both way too young. They were her social life and I don’t think she’s going to get over them passing. She’s now quite reclusive with little interest in leaving the house. She’s also v hard on my dad at times and accuses family of stealing things, which is both heartbreaking and frustrating.

The thing that is the most frustrating is that, like so many Irish people of her generation, she was raised with a really unhealthy attitude towards mental health. She stigmatises it. I think succumbing to something like this makes her angry.

Yeah, my Dad is / was very similar on the unhealthy attitudes to mental health thing. Gets angry with himself as if it's his own fault he can't remember something. I think that part of it does get better as they start to accept things more. At least I think it does with Dad.

I think the social aspect is really important. I bought my Dad an A4 diary and started to put in suggestions of things to do. Coffee mornings in the village hall, a "nifty sixtys" exercise class for older people, his weekly pub visits etc. I wasn't sure to start with if he'd use it but he loved the idea and he has been going regularly to most of the things I suggested. Even if your mum isn't receptive to such ideas now, I'd suggest keep trying to subtly suggest things to do. I think it might be a little easier if your Dad is about and can take her? Make sure your Dad gets the support he needs to.

It's good that for now it's slowed at the very least, maybe you will learn more at the memory clinic fingers crossed. I am glad he can still do some things, which at least takes some of the pressure off  the family. I love the fact that he is still mixing with people and going out socially, it's so easy for people to become isolated when they have these conditions. I know my mum used to love her Fridays at the hospice, she always seemed to be bubbling coming back from that. It makes such a difference when there is a good social group around them, long may that continue. As for the extra goes on the golf course, all power to him I say.  ;D

Thanks mate. And yeah, maybe I'll start using his golf tricks myself ;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Interesting programme on Panorama at the moment re Alzheimer’s and new drugs and tests available and how the NHS aren’t ready.

I would say it’s worth a watch, imagine it’s on the iplayer
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
www.dementiaactionliverpool.com/sedgemoor.html

Wife works here , it's a lovely set up. There are some respite places due to come in to play.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
www.dementiaactionliverpool.com/sedgemoor.html

Wife works here , it's a lovely set up. There are some respite places due to come in to play.
It is a great place mate, my mum spent a few days there years ago.