Author Topic: Coming home - Lets hear your recommendations  (Read 823 times)

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
Coming home - Lets hear your recommendations
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »
Fellow Rawkites, I need your collective wisdom!  I’m planning a 2 week trip to England this summer with my 4 year old daughter to visit my parents in my hometown, Southport, and to go to a friend's wedding in Ireland.  Although I’ve lived primarily in Canada and been back to England 15-20 times, the last time was around 8 years ago.

Given all this I have a few questions I’m hoping you guys can answer:

1) I’ve not yet been to Anfield, so I’m wondering if any of the summer tours are worthwhile? 
2) Where is the best place to buy Liverpool gear?  Anything to help get the little one on board is always good!
3) If it’s not too expensive I’d like to get a car rental for the trip.  Any recommendations on which UK companies to use?  Anything else I should be aware of (Insurance, Licensing etc)?
4) If I’m travelling around Merseyside and then over to Ireland (near Cork) for the wedding, can I get a single car rental for the entire 2 weeks or should I be looking at one rental for England and another rental for Ireland?   I'm asking this as we pay more in Canada if we hire a rental car that will travel to the US.
5) Any recommendations on temporary SIM card plans that provide UK calling and decent data plans (will need it to keep in touch with work at all times, Skyping the mom back in Canada, and for car GPS/Navigation, other stuff)?
6) Any food recommendations around Merseyside are definitely welcome.  I’m good with anything from your favourite fast Fish and Chip shop to the best Steakhouse you've been to.  Dad is turning 70 so a nice place for his birthday would be great.

Thanks!
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Coming home - Lets hear your recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:14:46 pm »
If you're doing the tour, going to be travelling around Merseyside, the club shop is probably the best place for question number 2.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:41:56 pm »
If you're doing the tour, going to be travelling around Merseyside, the club shop is probably the best place for question number 2.

Thanks D.  So I'm assuming it has the best selection compared to stores in Liverpool?  Also, I know they are building a new 2 floor store, but I hear it won't be ready until the season has started.
Raúl barely had a kick. The nearest he got to greatness was when he shook Gerrard by the hand.   Times - Mar 10,2009.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:01:39 pm »
Thanks D.  So I'm assuming it has the best selection compared to stores in Liverpool?  Also, I know they are building a new 2 floor store, but I hear it won't be ready until the season has started.
Go to Liverpool one for the club shop...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 10:17:45 pm »
Enterprise do car hire in the UK and also Eire, so you should be able to sort the car out with them. You'd have to check with them if you could take the car over from the UK to Ireland and also the cost of the ferry, its at least £59 each way Liverpool to Dublin with P&O

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/vehicles/uk/cars.html

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/home.html?cm_mmc=EnterpriseWebsite-_-Footer-_-sites.ireland-_-ENGB
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 12:09:06 am »
Every time we come over to visit, we always use Sixt Rent A Car, picking up at Manchester Airport, but I guess they are everywhere. Never had any issue with them.

For sim, I use a basic EE pay as you go, I keep it in my phone all the time as I have dual SIM. Then I buy one of their data packs before I go. Works well for me. Not using it a lot, just for using navigation mostly and texting and a few phone calls.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 12:28:37 am »
Enterprise do car hire in the UK and also Eire, so you should be able to sort the car out with them. You'd have to check with them if you could take the car over from the UK to Ireland and also the cost of the ferry, its at least £59 each way Liverpool to Dublin with P&O

https://www.enterprise.co.uk/en/car-hire/vehicles/uk/cars.html

https://www.enterprise.ie/en/home.html?cm_mmc=EnterpriseWebsite-_-Footer-_-sites.ireland-_-ENGB

Ouch, I didn't even think of the ferry charge for the car.   Even if they allow it, it might be cheaper to get separate rentals.

Offline cipher

• Kopite
  • Southport & Toronto
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 12:29:13 am »
Every time we come over to visit, we always use Sixt Rent A Car, picking up at Manchester Airport, but I guess they are everywhere. Never had any issue with them.

For sim, I use a basic EE pay as you go, I keep it in my phone all the time as I have dual SIM. Then I buy one of their data packs before I go. Works well for me. Not using it a lot, just for using navigation mostly and texting and a few phone calls.

I'll look into both of those.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 08:02:58 am »
Ouch, I didn't even think of the ferry charge for the car.   Even if they allow it, it might be cheaper to get separate rentals.

P and O Liverpool to Dublin is car and passengers only.  If you don't want to take a car you will have to use either Birkenhead to Belfast or Hollyhead to Dublin; or fly.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer