Author Topic: Car & mechanics advice thread  (Read 85626 times)

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Car & mechanics advice thread
« Reply #200 on: July 28, 2017, 09:01:27 pm »
Cheers guys, none of the above Rob mentioned. I'll grab a new cap and give it a go

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: August 8, 2017, 11:02:02 pm »
Cheers guys, none of the above Rob mentioned. I'll grab a new cap and give it a go

Any joy?

Offline Sat1

• Banned
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2017, 10:46:28 pm »
The radiator pump was leaking, a crack. Got it back this week and it's said I need to top up again, although that could be where it's been changed and just needed topping up. Fingers crossed

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Re: Any mechanics/car buffs around?
« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2017, 10:58:16 pm »

Didn't even get off the first page... :lmao
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:10 pm »
Does anyone know where to get the adaptor to fill a BMW from a jerry can? Ours is missing from the little kit in the boot and I have googled but don't know what it'd be called and everything I've tried brings up stuff from the US that I can't buy.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: August 21, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
Does anyone know where to get the adaptor to fill a BMW from a jerry can? Ours is missing from the little kit in the boot and I have googled but don't know what it'd be called and everything I've tried brings up stuff from the US that I can't buy.

Not being a smart arse, but try Williams BMW first - they'll know exactly what you are on about and then can at least give you the part no to help. Other than that, try a BMW forum for your car. I joined a Jag forum when I got my X Type and the wealth of knowledge on there is great. Sometimes a  member will have a spare one kicking about too.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #206 on: August 21, 2017, 10:05:46 pm »
Williams BMW?????? Old school f1
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2017, 08:46:16 am »
Williams BMW?????? Old school f1

Yeah Frank should know the answer.

Its the BMW dealer in town on Great Howard street, at the lights with Leeds Street.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 22, 2017, 08:48:55 am »
Yeah Frank should know the answer.

Its the BMW dealer in town on Great Howard street, at the lights with Leeds Street.
ah right

cool name

reminds me of that lunatic juan pablo montoya

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 22, 2017, 11:48:17 am »
Not being a smart arse, but try Williams BMW first - they'll know exactly what you are on about and then can at least give you the part no to help. Other than that, try a BMW forum for your car. I joined a Jag forum when I got my X Type and the wealth of knowledge on there is great. Sometimes a  member will have a spare one kicking about too.

Tried looking on a few forums and seen people have the same issue but no-one mentions what the bloody thing is called just how to get around the issue, I'll try Williams - was going to anyway but instead of sounding an idiot over the phone thought someone here might know what it's called! cheers!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:59 pm »
Tried looking on a few forums and seen people have the same issue but no-one mentions what the bloody thing is called just how to get around the issue, I'll try Williams - was going to anyway but instead of sounding an idiot over the phone thought someone here might know what it's called! cheers!

No need to be shy with the dealer, most BMW owners couldn't even tell you how to work the indicators, never mind know the name of something in a tool kit  ;)
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: August 22, 2017, 12:25:17 pm »
The last two words on the title of that ^^^ ebay listing are quite interesting.   ;)

Range of Jerry Cans Diesel Petrol Oil Military Metal Plastic Flexi Spout Nozzle (Fits: BMW)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Renault Clio - Electric window - Quick Question If You Can Help Me ?
« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »
Right.. The missus car (04 clio 3 door) drivers window went down ok, then a click & grind on it's way up..
Window popped out & went right up like a Lambo door  ;D
pulled over & got it back in .. up all secure.. it wont do shit now but up and closed..
took door panel off today thinking it popped out the guiders or something similar
but were the window motor is, it's like a reel of wire that's all unwound ? (like a fishing reel that done a birds nest, unwound & messy)
is this fixable ?... or easier to buy second hand motor & change ?... I'm not too bad at car stuff but never done this 1 before..
Any help or pointers would be great... Ta..  :wave
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Renault Clio - Electric window - Quick Question If You Can Help Me ?
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:31 pm »

From your description it sounds like the operating cable has frayed and then snapped, had that happen to my Wifes RAV4 a while back.

From a quick look at ebay here the complete mechanism s/h looks cheap enough to just swap the old one out. and probably save an awful lot of faffing about.  It's what I did. There seems to be a few for Clio's on Ebay.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2017, 09:59:35 pm »
Cheers for that  ;)
looking at the ebay pictures it looks like 1 of the cables has snapped on mine (1 was led down flat, not connected on 1 end)
might aswell buy 1 & get a mechanic to fit it... i know if i have a go it'll end in tears..  ;D

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline pezzzer

• Kopite
  • Club first country second
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »
Cheers for that  ;)
looking at the ebay pictures it looks like 1 of the cables has snapped on mine (1 was led down flat, not connected on 1 end)
might aswell buy 1 & get a mechanic to fit it... i know if i have a go it'll end in tears..  ;D
I bet there's a YouTube how to guide on it mate, have a look first :) half the job is having the right tools bud
metallic on psn, cod4 buddies welcome

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2017, 04:18:48 pm »
I bet there's a YouTube how to guide on it mate, have a look first :) half the job is having the right tools bud

Removing motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esVJpe_R6FY

Regulator repair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyu9YsAQOys
Jurgen YNWA

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2017, 10:08:57 pm »
Quick question!
Do you buy your own parts from local factor?
Dealership or leave it to your mechanic to order?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 27, 2017, 10:26:50 pm »
Renault Clio drivers electric window... Thanks for the replies  ;)  .. Appreciated.
been looking on forums & Flea-bay
seems i only need a 'window regulator repair kit'... just the cables & pullies (motor still works fine)
still think i'll have a word & see if a mechanic can throw it in cheap..  ;D
too many screws and fiddly bits for me  :-*
Again thanks for all the help ... Hixx  ..  :wave

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #221 on: September 28, 2017, 02:15:50 am »
My knowledge of cars.

I stick my thumb out and sometimes they stop.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 28, 2017, 07:03:19 am »
Quick question!
Do you buy your own parts from local factor?
Dealership or leave it to your mechanic to order?

I use a local factor. There is one called GSF near me in Trafford Park, I get regular emails of a weekend offering up to 53% off - saved me a few hundred on stuff like batteries (mine is over £200) and a coil pack for the wifes Astra.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2017, 10:26:43 am »
Why would the bearings need replaced twice within 2 years on the same wheel on a car?

Better off in here.

I've had the car 2 and a half years. Got te bearings on the driver side rear wheel replaced about 8 months later. Same wheel needs replaced again
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2017, 11:04:13 am »
Thanks for bumping this. Got an issue too.

So my car (auto BMW) seems to have developed what I'd describe as a strange clunk  ;D

When I accelerate normally all is good, however if I accelerate even slightly hard I'll get a clunk sound (appears to come from in front of me), then normal, then it may happen again, etc etc.

There is drive during this entire time so no loss of power. Doesn't appear to happen at the same time as the auto box changes gear. Also seems to happen as much when accelerating at lower speeds (below 50) and not really when going from 50+.

Any ideas what this is likely to be?

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2017, 11:04:35 am »
Better off in here.

I've had the car 2 and a half years. Got te bearings on the driver side rear wheel replaced about 8 months later. Same wheel needs replaced again

Could be damage to the front end that is stressing the bearing (anything that causes a vibration) driving conditions or poor quality bearings. Is the front end ok (damaged suspension, wheel out of balance etc) Are you driving on poorly maintained roads? eg do you hit a lot of potholes?  These kind of things will cause the failure. If you are driving on smooth roads and don't do things like hit kerbs and the car is in good nick then I'd blame the garage who did the bearings. They either didn't fit them properly, eg damaged them installing them incorrectly, allowed dirt to get into them, or they fitted cheap shit chinese ones. Cheap bearings will fail very quickly.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2017, 11:11:01 am »
Could be damage to the front end that is stressing the bearing (anything that causes a vibration) driving conditions or poor quality bearings. Is the front end ok (damaged suspension, wheel out of balance etc) Are you driving on poorly maintained roads? eg do you hit a lot of potholes?  These kind of things will cause the failure. If you are driving on smooth roads and don't do things like hit kerbs and the car is in good nick then I'd blame the garage who did the bearings. They either didn't fit them properly, eg damaged them installing them incorrectly, allowed dirt to get into them, or they fitted cheap shit chinese ones. Cheap bearings will fail very quickly.

Mainly drive to and from work which is a motorway and a dual carriageway so the roads shouldn't be an issue. More likely to be the garage that fitted them I suppose. It's the only thing I've ever used them for.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2017, 11:33:35 am »
Mainly drive to and from work which is a motorway and a dual carriageway so the roads shouldn't be an issue. More likely to be the garage that fitted them I suppose. It's the only thing I've ever used them for.

Sounds likely. Get the bearings done at a garage that's been recommended. If you can get the numbers from the bearings, you could always get the bearings yourself from a bearing supplier and then get the garage to fit them.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »
Got an Audi A3 2007 1.9tdi BLS eng code.
Basically when on motor way noticed it loses power every now and then.
I press accelerator pedal all way down and nothing happens. Then all sudden slowly picks up speed again.
Happened once or twice before but more regularly now.
Local it's fine . No signs come on dash.
Is it the dpf, egr, turbo or air flow? How do I find out?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2018, 11:04:53 pm »
I press accelerator pedal all way down and nothing happens. Then all sudden slowly picks up speed again.

If I said put some bonjela down the airfilter intake I couldn't be perceived as sarcastic because it's all your fault  ;D

Take it to a garage mate.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:29 am »
Outlaw....

Any smoke? If you're driving a diesel but not frequenting motorways it clogs up. Maybe take it in motorway run, drop a gear if needs be. If it persists go to garage

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2018, 06:45:16 am »

Similar thing happened to me a few years back with a Polo I used to have. My ex replaced one of the rear light bulbs but used the wrong bulb which fucked up the electrics. Put the proper one in and it was grand.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2018, 07:33:38 am »
Outlaw....

Any smoke? If you're driving a diesel but not frequenting motorways it clogs up. Maybe take it in motorway run, drop a gear if needs be. If it persists go to garage
No smoke. And I went down a gear and still  it didnt accelerate beyond what it was doing.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2018, 08:45:14 am »
No smoke. And I went down a gear and still  it didnt accelerate beyond what it was doing.

if it was me I'd maybe drop it two gears and floor it on motorway but if I'm wrong to advise you of that it could do more damage like burning a clutch etc

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2018, 08:46:20 pm »
if it was me I'd maybe drop it two gears and floor it on motorway but if I'm wrong to advise you of that it could do more damage like burning a clutch etc
How long would you floor it for?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 22, 2018, 08:51:56 pm »
How long would you floor it for?

usually til you see a bit of smoke out the back and it picks up revs. Few seconds normally. Again maybe get a garage look at it first. I'm only kinda guessing here

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2018, 12:26:43 pm »
Couple of things to try that won't damage the car is throw a bottle of diesel cleaner in a full tank and find a long stretch of dual carriageway and hold it in 4th so that it is revving higher than normal but not in the red and hold it like that for about a mile. Also check all your rubber  turbo pipes for leaks, splits and replace any that look knackered.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 23, 2018, 12:33:32 pm »
Couple of things to try that won't damage the car is throw a bottle of diesel cleaner in a full tank and find a long stretch of dual carriageway and hold it in 4th so that it is revving higher than normal but not in the red and hold it like that for about a mile. Also check all your rubber  turbo pipes for leaks, splits and replace any that look knackered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STP-59200EN-Diesel-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B0081S2OEI

that worked for me

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #238 on: January 23, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/STP-59200EN-Diesel-Injector-Cleaner/dp/B0081S2OEI

that worked for me
You put that in the tank right? I've bought one for my petrol car, hope it does the job as I'm getting pretty crap mileage at the moment.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2018, 02:38:23 pm »
You put that in the tank right? I've bought one for my petrol car, hope it does the job as I'm getting pretty crap mileage at the moment.
it tells you on the back but yeah usually in the tank after filling up (or 50 litres of fuel which is a pretty standard sized tank)