Author Topic: Whisky Drinkers  (Read 139169 times)

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
Re: Whisky Drinkers
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2007, 06:14:43 pm »
Do you ever forget what whisky you have.  I've ran out of Bushmills green so I just done afumble in the back of my cupboard and found a quarter of a bottle of Penderyn  :lickin

Erm ... no.  Clearly you have far too much whisky.  I am willing to help you out with your problem.   ;D
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: December 31, 2007, 05:30:16 am »
Welsh fucker called Penderyn, it's a single malt brewed around Brecon somewhere and in my opinion its the dogs bollocks.  Anyone tried it?  Bit expensive like but fuckin lush, I have it with a single ice cube, fuck all else, not as nice as Bush Green but all the same  :lickin.

stayed in Brecon for a couple of nights and tried this great whisky, I agree it's excellent. Defo needs a splash of water  though.

Just the thing for warming up after walking in the hills.

Offline rednewbie

• Legacy Fan
  • get involved!
« Reply #202 on: December 31, 2007, 08:34:22 am »
johnny walker green neat. no ice no water  :lickin smooth as a baby's ass

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: December 31, 2007, 10:54:13 am »
Took a trip to the Laphraoig distillery some years ago and was given the tour by the MD as it was out of season. In the tasting room he demonstrated to me why whisky is best taken with a small amount of water as even a drop releases more flavour. He carefully diluted cask strength to the same strength as a normal bottle and the newly added water gave all sorts of subtelties compared to the flatter flavour of the bottled.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: December 31, 2007, 11:05:11 am »
With it just being a couple of hours away from the new Year here in OZ I thought I would pour myself a Tullamore Dew or 7.

:)
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #205 on: December 31, 2007, 02:06:17 pm »
Are there any whiskeys out there that don't taste like the bleach they use to clean hospitals?
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #206 on: December 31, 2007, 02:08:15 pm »
Are there any whiskeys out there that don't taste like the bleach they use to clean hospitals?
You blasphemer.  May fat smelly men piss in your beer.

Although, you're probably not to blame, what with all that hospital bleach you have been tasting.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #207 on: December 31, 2007, 02:24:28 pm »
 :)

Dont mind its when it heavily mixed with something else

Like a whiskey sour which was rather nice

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 02:30:32 pm by Cusamano »
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline elrojoyoda

• Legacy Fan
  • The Dream Team
« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2007, 04:11:08 pm »
Currently drinking my way through a litre bottle of this:  :lickin

Follow me on Twitter @RojoYoda

Offline Lacoste-Trackie

• Where is my...
  • Kopite
  • "EY, Roberto..... Pass the Pringles!"
« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2007, 07:22:55 pm »
My dad drinks Glen Merangie (sp) he loves it thats a single malt

Offline Slugworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: December 31, 2007, 07:26:31 pm »
Was drinking bulleit Bourbon last night, very tasty stuff and very smooth it doesnt even burn!

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com
"There's no excuse for erectile dysfunction. If you see a fanny, gents, it's your duty to conquer it like a sleepy village. No prisoners" The Big Sam

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #211 on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:46 pm »
I love Jack Daniels and coke. Can't drink whiskey without a mixer I'm afraid.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 1, 2008, 03:40:09 am »
I'm currently enjoying a Dalwhinnie which MichaelA will know from my stag night...15 yr old. Very Happy Hogmanay.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2008, 04:12:24 am by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Red345

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #213 on: January 6, 2008, 04:17:55 am »
just poured myself a glass of this -

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: January 6, 2008, 02:28:34 pm »
Can't beat a bit of Glengoyne 17, really can't!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 6, 2008, 03:04:04 pm »
Rather silly amounts of Talisker 12, Macallan 15 and Caol Isla 12 were drunk last night.

Offline Stanley Accrington

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #216 on: January 6, 2008, 06:30:14 pm »
I got 2 of these for Christmas - my favorite tipple by a mile.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:42 pm »
Was in Sainsbury's for a good few minutes deciding on which whiskey to buy. Was about to go for a Taliskers, but chose a bottle of Aberlour instead (as it was a) £10 cheaper [students!] and b) it sounded like Arbeloa).

Hoping it's a good one, will be opening it on Thursday when we go out.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #218 on: February 26, 2008, 12:56:20 am »
I bought a litre of 12 year old Glenfiddich special reserve which I'm drinking at the moment. Got it for 12quid in Oman Duty free on the way back from my hols a few weeks ago. 12 quid!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #219 on: February 26, 2008, 01:05:05 am »
Why does whisky taste like TCP ?

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #220 on: February 26, 2008, 07:24:03 am »

That might be Laphroig.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:17 am »
Just found this luverly thread!

Gonna start small and nice and toss out that my favorite is Cragganmore. Oh, teh yumness!

@Yvanicuzz

Offline CLOCKSPEED

• his processor is underclocked
  • Kopite
« Reply #222 on: February 26, 2008, 03:49:07 pm »
Currently drinking my way through a litre bottle of this:  :lickin

Drink Bushmills myself. however was in a bar in Perth Scotland and this drunk  staggers in totally out of it and said to the barman have you any Macallan. Barman said know so drunk just turned and left (bit like Perrier ad on TV). We said to ourselves this must be some stuff so found a bar that did serve it and were not disappointed. Even drunks have standards would thouroughly recommend.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #223 on: February 27, 2008, 10:21:20 am »

Well you can't just say "whisky" and lump all whiskies together - there's a massive difference between whiskies.  Like lots of things its all in the taste (like love or hate Marmite for example), especially if you're talking about single malts.   I tend towards the peaty smoky taste of Talisker and Tomatin.  Mr May's taste is entirely different.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Jason McG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2008, 12:27:29 pm »
Problem is Maggie, an awful lot of people only ever try some cheap, blended crap and write it off. I must have three bottles of Bells in the cupboard 'cos people think 'oh, Jase likes whiskey''.

I'm a big Bushmills fan and would urge anyone interested in trying whiskey to start with that, try the black bush or green. Very smooth and doesn't burn or have the real peaty flavour a lot of scotch has. I don't like the really smokey, earthy ones. Aberlour's another nice one and I have to support what's been said about Penderyn, it's excellent and great value for money. There's a japanese one that's supposed to be good but I can't remember the name.

My sister bought me a bottle of Glenfarclas from 1974 (year I was born), got it for my 30th and I've not opened it yet, perhaps the next time we win the league we'll have a little party down at the dock and I'll bring it along.

I'm looking for a new Bourbon if anyone's got a recommendation.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:36:39 pm by Jason McG »
I'm so fucking angry I'm rubbing my face!!!

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »
I have have never drunk whisky, but the Aberlour Malt Whisky is £15 in Sainsburys rather than £22 at the moment.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2008, 02:06:05 pm »
 :puke2
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2008, 04:44:30 pm »
I have have never drunk whisky, but the Aberlour Malt Whisky is £15 in Sainsburys rather than £22 at the moment.

It's the bottle I got (10 year old). Didn't know it was normally £22. If I like it (opening it tomorrow when my mates come up/down from around the country!) then I might buy another one to keep for a rainy day! Developed a taste for whiskey a bit- but it was just the blended stuff like Grouse and Chivas. Thought I'd try a single malt- and Aberlour sounded like a good place to start.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #228 on: March 13, 2008, 01:27:09 am »
Just finished my litre of Glenfidich, (not in one sitting, over a few weeks). It was meant to be a prezzie for me Da from holidays, but he doesn't drink whiskey. Akin, if you will, to a bowling ball with Homer engraved on it.

Back on to the Jameson now, but thinking of splashing out on a Glenmourangie at the weekend. Anyone going through a duty free in the next couple of days by any chance?

Offline RedZen

• Eats cat food
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you fuckin lookin at?
« Reply #229 on: March 13, 2008, 10:12:11 am »
Tried this one after a good sunday lunch last week, beautiful.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #230 on: March 13, 2008, 11:09:30 am »
Had a Talisker 18 in my local on Saturday. Beeeaaauuutiful.
DAMMIT!

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2010, 12:55:20 am »
Holy Thread Resurrection!!!!!

Anyway just sipping a single Speyside, and thought it was worth the bump. Surprised this hadn't stayed alive to be honest.

Glen Moray Classic on ice. Not fantastic, but a good all rounder. About 20 notes from most places.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2010, 02:12:53 am »
I brought back a bottle of Balvenie for me and for the inlaws a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label. The Balvenie is because I like it, the Black Label because I want something passable to drink when I am there.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Purple Aki Fitness Club

• Main Stander
  • Student Discounts Available!
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:29 am »
;D

The best tip I can give you to better enjoy your whisky is not to use any ice. The coldness it introduces nullifies the taste and aroma.

If you want to take the edge of a whisky, put a touch of water in there. :)

Glenmorangie is a good choice for your standard 12 year old single malt and I know MichaelA is a big fan of that Laphroaig thing.

i've been to Tain to see the distillery.the quaint thing is, it truly is only 16 people manage the distillery.the smells of the maturing barrels is something else.

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2010, 02:48:40 am »
Scotch = Battery acid

Irish is far far smoother
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2010, 05:05:09 am »
Was drinking a delicious 18 year old Highland Park last night.  Much underrated malt, the Highland Park.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2010, 07:17:17 am »
i like a drink, but i never got the ' taste ' thing. must be good to be able to appreciate a drink on other things other than to get you pissed. i had a glass of whisky my brother had given for his wedding, 30 year old and well expensive. thats the whisky ;) i drank it and thought, any more you tight git. my brother will only drink it now and again. id have twatted the whole bottle. 
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Pheeny

« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2010, 08:09:05 am »
Went on a trip to Scotland this year.Did a tour around Edradour distillery,the smallest one in Scotland.Very good stuff,also went to Skye and to the Talisker Distillery which sadly was closed to visitors.Still the shop was open and got to taste a few different samples.Came away with an 18 Year old Talisker.  :lickin

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:58 am »
Went on a trip to Scotland this year.Did a tour around Edradour distillery,the smallest one in Scotland.Very good stuff,also went to Skye and to the Talisker Distillery which sadly was closed to visitors.Still the shop was open and got to taste a few different samples.Came away with an 18 Year old Talisker.  :lickin
You done well my son.  With the weather beginning to cool again, whisky drinking days are coming back...

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2010, 02:56:25 pm »
You done well my son.  With the weather beginning to cool again, whisky drinking days are coming back...
yea, whiskey and Guinness season is returning :)

prefer Jameson whiskey myself, its nice and calm.. although im an open door to all whiskeys :)