Author Topic: John Arne Riise signs for Roma  (Read 66505 times)

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
Re: John Arne Riise signs for Roma
« Reply #640 on: February 1, 2010, 01:59:25 pm »
the goal he scored against Siena the other day was a right belter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2MqRLkkUFE

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #641 on: February 1, 2010, 02:04:20 pm »
I think it might also be of interest to those who are glad that JAR's doing alright in Italy, that Dossena looks to be playing fucking well too. Currently watching Napoli (4th in the league, 3 points off Roma/Milan) V Genoa and Dossena's been fucking great! Dangerous and lively.. constantly bombing up the wing and dangerous around the box.

just out of interest Bennyo, is he playing at full-back or wing-back ?
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: February 1, 2010, 02:54:15 pm »
Certainly none of our LB's have been an improvement over him as far as I am concerned. Pity the Chelsea own goal sealed his fate. He also had the right attitude.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: February 1, 2010, 03:09:02 pm »
Certainly none of our LB's have been an improvement over him as far as I am concerned. Pity the Chelsea own goal sealed his fate. He also had the right attitude.

A fit Aurelio last season certainly was far better than JAR in his last two years.

JAR was poor for his last couple of seasons here so how well he played when he first came until 02-03 and from 04-06 under Rafa is by-the-by.

Offline STORMTROOPER

• RAWK Pedagogue.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: February 1, 2010, 03:18:47 pm »
the goal he scored against Siena the other day was a right belter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2MqRLkkUFE

brilliant strike that fucker.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: February 1, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »
Not much point banging on about the lad as maybe he had ran his course here.  A very very good left back (when his head was in it) and probably needed some fresh air to reignite his career. The same happened in Monaco and glad he is doing well in Roma. It may be debatable if any of his replacements have matched anything like his best form / dependability  as he was good for 3 or 4 seasons. I still shake my head when I remember some of the venom that was spitted at him after he left but hey he is always welcome back here I think.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: February 1, 2010, 07:30:34 pm »
could have been a good player, only one thing stood in his way. his right foot. he was so limited by it, it was a joke. he started his lfc career on an all time high, and finished it on a low. i was delighted when we got rid and my only regret was that he managed to get on against chelsea on that terrible evening. he had a solid left foot and that was about it. not to mention he was the chief hoof merchant of our back line even ahead of carra. aurelio is technically twice the player riise was and insua will be a much better player as soon as he has improved his positionning, which wasnt exactly a strong point for riise either. loved his shots when they hit the back of the net but i think we are a stronger team without him.

Offline dzaek

• Paid on the quality of his posts - currently owes the Mods Ł275
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Please Please The Reds!!!!!
    • The Economics of Football is Astounding!
« Reply #647 on: February 2, 2010, 05:13:49 am »
riise reminds me some of the best first 11 we didn't choose to keep (or couldn't):

westerveld
finnan henchoz  arbeloa  riise

garcia   sissoko  alonso   la tellac

crouch   bellamy

i hope benayoun will NOT add to the list...  :no
"The Best Things To Do In Life Are To Do Those Others Believe You Can't." - dzaek

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #648 on: February 2, 2010, 06:12:48 am »
riise reminds me some of the best first 11 we didn't choose to keep (or couldn't):

westerveld

crouch   bellamy

Y'know, that's a bit of a crap list.

Out of those there's only 4 players that I'd have kept anyway. And I don't know why you're bringing up Benny in this thread.

P.s. I'm still glad we sold Riise, he may have found a bit of form again but he always did my head in with this one-footedness. Honestly, how can a professional football player not be able to do more than stand with their right foot? He also ruined about about 2 years worth of attacks down the left before he went going for Hollywood shots that usually ended up near the corner flag. He lived off that goal against United for ages.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #649 on: February 2, 2010, 06:49:35 am »

westerveld

crouch   bellamy

i'm with suspect package.....alonso is the only definite keeper and at 30m that is debatable to be fair........the rest are squad players so not necessarily a choice to keep them, if like bellamy and crouch they want to leave

i liked riise, but he needed a new challenge as he got stale after his initial resurgence under benitez.....and he would at his best be perfect for our squad........versatile, hard working, an occasional goal threat.......solid and reliable
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline lawrie

• Legacy Fan
  • Done the treble
« Reply #650 on: February 2, 2010, 07:58:15 am »

westerveld

crouch   bellamy

Henchoz???????

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #651 on: February 2, 2010, 09:07:27 am »

westerveld

crouch   bellamy

Westerveld?

WESTERVELD??!!
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #652 on: February 2, 2010, 09:48:45 am »
le tallac cost us the league last year, if only we had of kept him and westerveld.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #653 on: February 2, 2010, 10:03:10 am »

westerveld

crouch   bellamy

Out of those I'd only have kept Arby, Alonso, Garcia and Crouch.

Westerveld: No thanks, I still haven't forgotten "ice on the ball"
Finnan: Great servant for us but was getting on.
Henchoz: See Finnan
Riise: Went at the right time, he'd gone a bit stale for us, glad to see he's doing well elsewhere.
Sissoko: Got a better replacement in Masch.
Le Tallec: Not after the way he "demanded" first team football
Bellamy: With us bringing in Torres and Voronin and Bellamy being the weakest of the 3 strikers in the previous season, he was going to be 5th in the pecking order.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #654 on: February 2, 2010, 10:15:10 am »
Honestly, how can a professional football player not be able to do more than stand with their right foot?

His Barca-goal would disagree... ;)

But I know what you mean...

Offline TheVoiceOfRiise

• Legacy Fan
  • www.solavirtus.co.uk
    • Sola Virtus
« Reply #655 on: February 2, 2010, 02:18:21 pm »
Riise and Garcia will always have a place in my heart from that era.
despite his dip in form towards the end his attitude was spot on, Garcia was just a box of chocolates!
Please have a listen  to my band - www.solavirtus.co.uk

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: February 2, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »
His Barca-goal would disagree... ;)

But I know what you mean...

Ahh, (foggy) memories.  What a day and night in Barcelona that was. 

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #657 on: February 2, 2010, 02:44:02 pm »
Some Goal that against Siena.

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: April 16, 2011, 05:46:49 pm »
I remember when Riise signed for Roma, many times I checked their score he was somewhere on the scoresheet.

The last season or so I have hardly seen anything from him (keep in mind I don't watch the games, and can only see if he's scored or was carded)

I looked up news, and most anything with riise in it was regarding Bjorn his brother.

He was one of my favorite LFC players and part of the reason I started following, can anyone tell me how he's doing at Roma? Is he injured?
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #659 on: April 16, 2011, 05:53:19 pm »
I remember when Riise signed for Roma, many times I checked their score he was somewhere on the scoresheet.

The last season or so I have hardly seen anything from him (keep in mind I don't watch the games, and can only see if he's scored or was carded)

I looked up news, and most anything with riise in it was regarding Bjorn his brother.

He was one of my favorite LFC players and part of the reason I started following, can anyone tell me how he's doing at Roma? Is he injured?

He's playing right now, got an assist last week for Totti to win the game.
This seasons stats:
Played 26
Goals 0
Assists 4

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: April 16, 2011, 06:21:39 pm »
He's playing right now, got an assist last week for Totti to win the game.
This seasons stats:
Played 26
Goals 0
Assists 4

awesome,thanks

wonder if he's attacking less?
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Davro

• Kemlynite
  • I was born intelligent - education ruined me.
« Reply #661 on: May 4, 2011, 11:18:59 pm »
Been a while since anyone has posted on here but theres an interview on sky sports with good ol' Riise.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6912608,00.html

Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has refused to rule out a return to Anfield.

The Norwegian will enter the final year of his contract at Roma in June and the Italian club could listen to offers as a consequence.

Reports have suggested that Kenny Dalglish could look to sign Riise, who departed Liverpool when Rafa Benitez was manager in 2008, as a solution at left-back.

The position is a problem for the Merseysiders, with England right-back Glen Johnson currently acting as cover, and they have been linked with an audacious move for Everton's Leighton Baines.

UEFA Champions League-winner Riise, at the age of 30, seems a less likely candidate, but he said: "I am flattered by reports linking me with a return to England.

There's more live football on Sky Sports than ever before, including the Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, Clydesdale Bank Premier League, England away Euro 2012 qualifiers and La Liga. With four live Sky Sports channels, as well as Sky Sports News, you'll never miss a moment on Sky. Click here for more.

"Liverpool are close to my heart. They are a great club and I have some good memories.

"I have a contract here until June 2012, so you never know."

Marseille are also said to be tracking Riise, who played for Monaco before joining Liverpool in 2002, as a replacement for reported AC Milan target Taye Taiwo.

Riise said: "I love France as well. I played in Monaco and also enjoyed my time there."

Wouldn't mind having Riise back as a squad player, should be fairly cheap too as he is entering the last year of his contract, i don't think we have seen such a solid LB since he left.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #662 on: May 4, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »
Found the abuse on here of Riise the most unfathomable of all players we ever had. The guy was excellent for us
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #663 on: May 4, 2011, 11:56:32 pm »
Found the abuse on here of Riise the most unfathomable of all players we ever had. The guy was excellent for us

I hated the way he became one of the boo-boy's scpaegoats towards the end with us. He did go stale a bit, but he gave us some great service for the majority of time he was here and for some people that seemed to count for shit once he hit a rough patch. I liked the guy and was sad to see him go.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: May 4, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »
The Ginja Ninja!

Offline StevieF

• Anny Roader
« Reply #665 on: May 5, 2011, 12:04:21 am »
I hated the way he became one of the boo-boy's scpaegoats towards the end with us. He did go stale a bit, but he gave us some great service for the majority of time he was here and for some people that seemed to count for shit once he hit a rough patch. I liked the guy and was sad to see him go.

Riise doesn't qualify as a Liverpool legend by any stretch but he was a very fine servant for this club who played over 300 games, won medals and didn't deserve the shit he got from some quarters towards the end.  A former player worthy of plenty of respect.

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: May 5, 2011, 12:06:51 am »
Never had a problem with him. Don't know why some want to have a bash - and Le Tellec? You have to be kidding me.

I doubt he will make a return though, shame a decent player who served us well.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: May 5, 2011, 12:12:53 am »

Seconded.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #668 on: May 5, 2011, 12:25:46 am »
Scored more against us than for us.
Kill the humourless

Offline StevieF

• Anny Roader
« Reply #669 on: May 5, 2011, 12:29:48 am »

That seems quite unlikely given that he scored 30 goals for us.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: May 5, 2011, 12:31:37 am »
Still haven't forgiven him for that own goal. Not only did we miss out on a CL final because of that OG, we had to watch Utd win it.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: May 5, 2011, 12:32:09 am »

I think the Carra thread is elsewhere.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #672 on: May 5, 2011, 12:37:35 am »
Still haven't forgiven him for that own goal. Not only did we miss out on a CL final because of that OG, we had to watch Utd win it.

Hope you're fishing because I forgave him fairly quickly.

Because of Istanbul. For when he was almost in tears after scoring the pen in FA Cup in Cardiff. For that belter versus the Mancs. For the goal in the Community Shield. For the Semi Final of the FA Cup against Chelsea at OT. For the Super Cup. For the derby goal. blah blah blah.

But hey, let's remember that unfortunate footnote to his career.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2011, 12:39:54 am by Strummer77 »

Offline bravoco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never made the 1st team
« Reply #673 on: May 5, 2011, 12:38:07 am »
Always liked Riise - played a big role in some of our most miserly defences.

Never really understood why he was played in midfield. Other than because of our ongoing shortage of quality left-siders.

Offline LinvoyPrimus

• Main Stander
  • Linvoy Primus the Third to be honest
« Reply #674 on: May 5, 2011, 12:40:14 am »

Aurelio with one leg is a better footballer than JAR.

Riise in his last couple of seasons was fat, slow, horribly one footed, unable to play a composed pass, and generally terrible. Don't ever wanna see him in a Liverpool shirt again.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #675 on: May 5, 2011, 12:45:38 am »
Aurelio with one leg is a better footballer than JAR.

Riise in his last couple of seasons was fat, slow, horribly one footed, unable to play a composed pass, and generally terrible. Don't ever wanna see him in a Liverpool shirt again.

The problem with Aurelio is he might as well only have one leg.

Riise had a poor last season but that description takes the piss a bit. Was a top player for many seasons here. Whatever you think of Aurelio being better, Riise contributed more to this club and has left a bigger impact than him and possibly any other full back at the club in the last twenty years.

Offline LinvoyPrimus

• Main Stander
  • Linvoy Primus the Third to be honest
« Reply #676 on: May 5, 2011, 12:46:51 am »
The problem with Aurelio is he might as well only have one leg.

Riise had a poor last season but that description takes the piss a bit. Was a top player for many seasons here. Whatever you think of Aurelio being better, Riise contributed more to this club and has left a bigger impact than him and possibly any other full back at the club in the last twenty years.

As we became a better team under Rafa, JAR became a passenger we could no longer afford to carry. His limitations were becoming increasingly evident and he just wasn't good enough.

Offline MKelly34

• Legacy Fan
  • Kelly's lover (not really)
« Reply #677 on: May 5, 2011, 12:51:22 am »
If we get Enrique, and had Riise and Aurelio as back-up, would be perfect, imo. And we still have Robinson.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #678 on: May 5, 2011, 12:52:02 am »

Seem serious aswell.

I knew I stayed out of this thread for a reason
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #679 on: May 5, 2011, 12:52:24 am »
We have moved on.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.