Author Topic: True Detective - HBO Drama  (Read 158814 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: True Detective - HBO Drama
« Reply #2080 on: February 23, 2024, 03:19:36 pm »
Terrible article in Guardian implying criticism of series is based on misogyny.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/feb/23/some-of-the-sloppiest-writing-ive-ever-watched-how-true-detectives-creator-turned-on-his-own-show

This fella needs to watch more TV and Films if he feels its showing 'strong female detectives' which you don't see anywhere else.

It was a poorly constructed and scripted series...no agenda Guardian..it was just crap!

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2081 on: February 23, 2024, 03:32:33 pm »
I really don't think the battle of feminism vs toxic masculinity should be waged over this show. It simply doesn't deserve it. Creators will probably love that kind of attention and spin the series into some misunderstood masterpiece. It's not. It's just a lukewarm pile of mediocrity.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2082 on: February 23, 2024, 03:32:49 pm »
That was one of the most boring seasons of anything I've watched. I genuinely don't know why I saw it through to the end.

One is still arguably the greatest single season of any television show.
Two looked like it had some potential, but ended up convoluted and cringeworthy.
Three was really enjoyable, with another great dynamic between two lead actors.
Four makes two look like a masterpiece.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2083 on: February 23, 2024, 07:08:04 pm »
I was trying to find the words to describe how I felt about the finale but Zlen has summed it up.

All in all - it was completely shit and a bit embarassing really. No compelling characters whatsoever. Show keeps blowing supernatural smoke up our ass only to flip into dumb procedural detecive show in the last episode. Stupid conclusion, stupid everything really. They go through loops and loops to find entrance to the fabled cave system - do a little Scooby Doo walk in there and hey presto they are inside the science facility. Really?

People associated with this should be ashamed of their work.

And I was quite into the show right up until the finale.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2084 on: February 23, 2024, 07:17:07 pm »
And I was quite into the show right up until the finale.
Same. Mrs asked what happened to individuals and we had both zoned out by then. Just wasn't good.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2085 on: February 24, 2024, 08:37:09 am »
That was one of the most boring seasons of anything I've watched. I genuinely don't know why I saw it through to the end.

One is still arguably the greatest single season of any television show.
Two looked like it had some potential, but ended up convoluted and cringeworthy.
Three was really enjoyable, with another great dynamic between two lead actors.
Four makes two look like a masterpiece.

I know I definitely enjoyed S3 at the time, but now I can't remember anything about it except when the indigenous bloke declares war on the police. Which was an amazing scene, to be fair.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #2086 on: February 24, 2024, 11:26:11 am »
I know I definitely enjoyed S3 at the time, but now I can't remember anything about it except when the indigenous bloke declares war on the police. Which was an amazing scene, to be fair.
I just remember that Stephen Dorff and Mahershala Ali were really well casted and were a great double act. The latter in particular when he was trying to piece together the old case while battling memory loss.

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2087 on: February 24, 2024, 11:18:52 pm »
I usually agree with most on RAWK about shows but not this time it looks like. I actually enjoyed S4. Thought all the characters were strong with all their imperfections.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:21:41 pm by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow