Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 175640 times)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #720 on: July 8, 2018, 01:39:41 pm »
How does your garden grow in the hosepipe ban Sarge?  I saw a tip on Gardeners World to keep slugs at bay using garlic water, so I chopped up two heads of garlic and brought them to the boil in about 1 litre of water and then simmered them for about 30 mins, let them cool and sprayed the strained liquid on my hostas.  They had been slightly munched which made me remember the tip.  Since the spraying, no more munching and my hostas thrive (first try at growing them).  I thought I'd pass on the tip.  :wave 

Excellent Maggie thats a great tip. Garden is dry but holding its own so far, just.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #721 on: July 8, 2018, 01:42:33 pm »
Just on the hosta topic above - I planted mine in slightly the wrong place and they've been sunburnt. Is that the end of them or are they repairable?

Possibly it depends on how dry they become, if the foliage is turning brown or crispy its not great news to be honest.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #722 on: July 8, 2018, 08:22:49 pm »
Possibly it depends on how dry they become, if the foliage is turning brown or crispy its not great news to be honest.

Thanks Sarge. Ive moved them today back into the shade. Id say half the leaves are crispy so Ive got my fingers crossed.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #723 on: July 9, 2018, 06:43:38 pm »
Thanks Sarge. Ive moved them today back into the shade. Id say half the leaves are crispy so Ive got my fingers crossed.

Keep them watered and in the shade for now.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: July 10, 2018, 11:27:16 pm »
Once you've got your garden sorted and move on to keeping bees too, this is what you can look forward to..

That's quite amazing. What a lovely thing that is.

Have never thought about selling the honey have to say. Finding a space to have them around regularly being the summit of my ambition right now, but what a great gift to give when you can make that much!

I think I have mole in our veg patch. Can't tell, as no mounds in the garden. Looks to me like he's really enjoying a stint of shallow burrowing in there as there's no way he's digging thru this baked hard soil. Or something.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #725 on: July 17, 2018, 09:32:54 pm »
So so dry. :(
Y.N.W.A.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #726 on: July 18, 2018, 12:02:15 am »

Have never thought about selling the honey have to say. Finding a space to have them around regularly being the summit of my ambition right now, but what a great gift to give when you can make that much!

I think I have mole in our veg patch. Can't tell, as no mounds in the garden. Looks to me like he's really enjoying a stint of shallow burrowing in there as there's no way he's digging thru this baked hard soil. Or something.

Get yourself a Jean-Michel Ferri and you’ll sort yourself out in no time.

Offline Chinbits

• Has a Purpoise in life
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Factor 3rd Place WINNER
« Reply #727 on: July 18, 2018, 06:54:50 am »
I've just moved in to my first ever house, so I now have a garden which I'm clueless about. Out front there's a small lawn that is bordered by pebbles. The idea is to get a hedge running along the front of the house by the low wall, so it is more useable and has some privacy. What's the best steps to take? How do you grow a hedge? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not much a man when it comes to shit like this.
Hold a powerful magnet against your stomach and then run it up your body until it's under your chin.

While wearing your mum's skin as a hat.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #728 on: July 18, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »
I've just moved in to my first ever house, so I now have a garden which I'm clueless about. Out front there's a small lawn that is bordered by pebbles. The idea is to get a hedge running along the front of the house by the low wall, so it is more useable and has some privacy. What's the best steps to take? How do you grow a hedge? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm not much a man when it comes to shit like this.

Read a few pages back a good bit on this sort of thing.

PS stick them in the ground ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #729 on: July 18, 2018, 10:37:19 pm »
Page 14 and 15 chinbits, scroll down them both and plenty in there.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #730 on: July 20, 2018, 06:54:58 pm »

And even more harvested today...18603 grams ,  41lbs,  it's really going rather well this summer.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: July 21, 2018, 06:00:10 pm »
And even more harvested today...18603 grams ,  41lbs,  it's really going rather well this summer.

How much for a tub of that honey Mr Gulley?    :)

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #732 on: July 21, 2018, 06:04:06 pm »
Read a few pages back a good bit on this sort of thing.

PS stick them in the ground ;D
And green side up helps [emoji106]

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #733 on: July 21, 2018, 11:23:30 pm »

Paul, I'd give you a box for free if you lived nearby but unfortunately I'm down in Devon these days and each box is well over 2kg so P&P is just prohibitive and makes it uneconomic

Sadly, it also likely really wouldn't travel too well in the post as unfortunately it would probably get somewhat bashed around on its travels.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #734 on: July 22, 2018, 12:26:03 am »
And green side up helps [emoji106]

;D

True that.
Y.N.W.A.

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: July 22, 2018, 02:02:49 pm »
Paul, I'd give you a box for free if you lived nearby but unfortunately I'm down in Devon these days and each box is well over 2kg so P&P is just prohibitive and makes it uneconomic

Sadly, it also likely really wouldn't travel too well in the post as unfortunately it would probably get somewhat bashed around on its travels.

Very kind of you offering to give me some of your fabulous looking honey for free if I lived in your neck of the woods.

Next time I am visiting the English Riviera I might just call in    ;)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: July 27, 2018, 10:34:07 pm »
Was supposed to rain tonight. Do you remember when there was news?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #737 on: July 28, 2018, 06:03:44 pm »
Was supposed to rain tonight. Do you remember when there was news?

Pissed here last night into early morning. It was good.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: September 12, 2018, 11:51:04 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bh454m

30 min programme about keeping bees.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: September 13, 2018, 01:32:31 pm »
Remember those potatoes I planted in April?

When's it time to dig them up?

Some of them have little white flowers on them    ;D

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: September 14, 2018, 10:09:07 pm »
Remember those potatoes I planted in April?

When's it time to dig them up?

Some of them have little white flowers on them    ;D

You can leave them in the ground if you like. They're ready to eat when all the greenery has died. Probably best to dig one group up to check for disease etc, but cut all the browning leafage low down if leaving them in the ground (but leave just enough to let you know where they are). If it's getting really wet then digging them all up might be a good idea.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: September 14, 2018, 10:20:51 pm »
I'd been reading up on Roundup the weed killer. It contains glyphosate, a possible carcinogen. I decided to try something a bit safer, so I mixed a homemade weed killer. 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1 cup of table salt, and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing soap. The latter is to make the concoction stick to the leaves of whatever you're spraying. 

Well, I must say the results have been great. I was trying to kill some ordinary grass in an unwanted area, plus some nondescript weeds and a big growth of poison ivy.  Everything turned brown within 24 hours and now a few days later it all appears to be dead. Plus the ingredients are far cheaper than Roundup. Maybe I'll need to spray it more often than Roundup but that's ok. This one's a keeper.  :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:22:43 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #742 on: September 16, 2018, 01:25:48 pm »
Must try that ;D
Y.N.W.A.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: September 16, 2018, 02:58:07 pm »
You can leave them in the ground if you like. They're ready to eat when all the greenery has died. Probably best to dig one group up to check for disease etc, but cut all the browning leafage low down if leaving them in the ground (but leave just enough to let you know where they are). If it's getting really wet then digging them all up might be a good idea.
Ahhhh okay, thank you.

I will dig them up in October    :)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: September 16, 2018, 08:39:39 pm »
Must try that ;D
:) I found it online. There are a number of ingredient variations but the one I listed was most common. Be careful where you use it of course. You'll have salt on the ground afterward in that area. Sems to have worked well. Really cheap and easy to mix up. Pour it into a spray bottle and get killing.  :wave
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #745 on: October 16, 2018, 10:08:40 pm »
So its tidy up before winter time plus you can now cut back those overgrown shrubs and perrennials.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: October 18, 2018, 03:34:45 pm »
Are these magic?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2018, 03:55:11 pm »

No, but I don't think that tree is likely very healthy ( Labernum?)

Probably on its way out.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2018, 11:26:33 pm »
No, but I don't think that tree is likely very healthy ( Labernum?)

Probably on its way out.
It's a cherry tree. Blossoms really nice. I've put a couple of pictures in here a few months ago :)
I wouldn't mind keeping the tree though. The garden is more than big enough for what I'll ever do with it and it provides some privacy, even though we back on to train tracks. Only my 80 year old neighbour can see me sunbathing In shorts in the summer and she is out most of the time.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #749 on: October 19, 2018, 08:39:59 am »
It's a cherry tree. Blossoms really nice. I've put a couple of pictures in here a few months ago :)
I wouldn't mind keeping the tree though. The garden is more than big enough for what I'll ever do with it and it provides some privacy, even though we back on to train tracks. Only my 80 year old neighbour can see me sunbathing In shorts in the summer and she is out most of the time.

I'm not totally positive, but it could be Honey Fungus in which case it's just a matter of time before it dies.

We had it here on a beautiful large and old Labernum and the tree died within 2 years. When I cut the tree down after it ceased to grow leaves one year, some of the growth rings inside the wood were blackened and sections of the inside of the bowl had just rotted away, pretty nasty stuff, and the really bad news is I understand the fungus can lurk in the ground for many years later condemning anything else you plant on the spot. Eradication of it can be difficult. Sarge may know more about it.

I'm not sure about Cherries, but we also had two of them years ago in the garden, mature ornamentals and very pretty, but they both decided to die within the space of a few years with what we now suspect might have also been Honey Fungus too though I was told at the time that some species of ornamental don't live too long anyway, perhaps as little as 25 years. Their bark seems to split and let in all kinds of nasty stuff.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #750 on: October 21, 2018, 09:24:54 pm »
Can't believe I managed to put up a fence with concrete posts and gravel boards.

Wow those 9 foot posts are effing heavy plus also made the mistake of ordering 12" gravel boards!

The old fence was starting to rot in a few of the panels and I remember the agony of seeing met posts which I thought were going in straight only to hit a rock or hard clay and twisting in front of my eyes so I thought I would do it like a professional......lol

Got to admit it looks pretty neat.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: October 21, 2018, 11:33:45 pm »
Are these magic?

No ;D

Dry them in an oven on low tho. Don't air dry them, they'll be riddled with maggotts almost before you blink. In an oven on low lying on newspaper.

Let us know how you get on!

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #752 on: November 18, 2018, 07:03:58 pm »
So its tidy up before winter time plus you can now cut back those overgrown shrubs and perrennials.

Bulb planting time!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #753 on: November 18, 2018, 07:05:24 pm »
Can't believe I managed to put up a fence with concrete posts and gravel boards.

Wow those 9 foot posts are effing heavy plus also made the mistake of ordering 12" gravel boards!

The old fence was starting to rot in a few of the panels and I remember the agony of seeing met posts which I thought were going in straight only to hit a rock or hard clay and twisting in front of my eyes so I thought I would do it like a professional......lol

Got to admit it looks pretty neat.

Jesus I'd say your back is broke after that, its a thing we post pics of our endeavours ;)
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: November 18, 2018, 10:47:40 pm »
I'd been reading up on Roundup the weed killer. It contains glyphosate, a possible carcinogen. I decided to try something a bit safer, so I mixed a homemade weed killer. 1 gallon of white vinegar, 1 cup of table salt, and 2 tablespoons of dishwashing soap. The latter is to make the concoction stick to the leaves of whatever you're spraying. 

Well, I must say the results have been great. I was trying to kill some ordinary grass in an unwanted area, plus some nondescript weeds and a big growth of poison ivy.  Everything turned brown within 24 hours and now a few days later it all appears to be dead. Plus the ingredients are far cheaper than Roundup. Maybe I'll need to spray it more often than Roundup but that's ok. This one's a keeper.  :)

You could've found it on RAWK  :D

Use a mixture of Water, vinegar, salt, and washing up liquid. Don't spray it on any plant you don't want to kill, as it'll kill everything.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: November 19, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »
You could've found it on RAWK  :D

Bloody hell I didn't realise that was so long ago. I took your advice mate, I even add a touch of bleach to enhance the killer affect. Works brilliantly.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #756 on: December 2, 2018, 02:05:48 pm »
Plenty of rain about but my garden is all tooked way until Springtime.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #757 on: January 13, 2019, 07:59:32 pm »
Bump!
Y.N.W.A.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:47 pm »
Bump!
Indeed Sarge mate, Nick still wants to know if you've tidied yours up yet ye scruff?

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #759 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:48 pm »
Indeed Sarge mate, Nick still wants to know if you've tidied yours up yet ye scruff?

No ;D
Y.N.W.A.