Author Topic: Modern Day David V Goliath (Redditors v Hedgefunders)  (Read 20144 times)

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
Re: Modern Day David V Goliath (Redditors v Hedgefunders)
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2021, 03:29:35 am »
The option chain alone runs to 800$. That is the end of the gamma squeeze and the beginning of the short squeeze.

You don’t know that for sure, same as I don’t know for sure. I don’t think it’s clever or responsible to be trying to act like this is going to shoot upwards when you, I or anyone else hasn’t the foggiest. There is no such thing as a sure bet. If you put any kind of money into this you better be prepared to make a loss.

Offline newworldorderA

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2021, 03:35:27 am »
You don’t know that for sure, same as I don’t know for sure. I don’t think it’s clever or responsible to be trying to act like this is going to shoot upwards when you, I or anyone else hasn’t the foggiest. There is no such thing as a sure bet. If you put any kind of money into this you better be prepared to make a loss.

Which one? The options data is publicly available. The highest call option with relevant volume runs to 800$.

As for the short squeeze, they admitted in the testimony that they did not cover and it was the result of a gamma squeeze. Hell, the IB CEO himself said they were looking at a price "in the thousands"

Nothing is guaranteed you are right but everything is aligned on this one. Let us see what the "unknown unknowns" are

Offline newworldorderA

• Kemlynite
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2021, 03:24:31 pm »
Bit of a bumpy start eh?

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2021, 04:22:39 pm »
Which one? The options data is publicly available. The highest call option with relevant volume runs to 800$.

As for the short squeeze, they admitted in the testimony that they did not cover and it was the result of a gamma squeeze. Hell, the IB CEO himself said they were looking at a price "in the thousands"

Nothing is guaranteed you are right but everything is aligned on this one. Let us see what the "unknown unknowns" are

Mate I hope it sails upwards for you and others but it is a 100% bet whichever way you slice it. My personal advice to anyone would be to put down the WSB pipe and make sure you don't have a penny more invested that you are not happy to set on fire. So many people got burned last time and it's just horrible to watch people get swallowed into FOMO and throw money on something that is a complete gamble. Some WILL always get lucky and some will always lose that's how volatile stocks work. That is why I personally don't like people pumping these type of high risk stocks on certain forums, as most people can be easily influenced as they may not have done proper due diligence or have the slightest clue what is going on.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2021, 02:14:35 pm »
what a great postscript to this

Reddit investors use GameStop proceeds to help protect gorillas

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/18/reddit-investors-use-gamestop-proceeds-adopt-thousands-gorillas-aoe

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2021, 05:01:57 pm »
This isn't in postscript yet. This is still very much alive.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:22 am »
Current price is 194, but there was a very freaky peak of 372 in a 5 minute period in the after market last night. It blew up on Jan 26, Feb 25, looks like another one is brewing.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2021, 03:50:30 pm »
Guess we'll get a better look now at who's left in bitcoin because of their read on the underlying tech.  :-X

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: May 19, 2021, 03:52:02 pm »
Musk is such a transparently manipulative c*nt man.  Very good chance the guy's riding this down.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2021, 05:31:40 pm »
Agree with you on Musk.

However, I think the whole crypto market is just a speculative bubble, demonstrated by the fact that a tweet can wipe billions of dollars or create billions of dollars of market cap.

You would have to be an idiot to accept Bitcoin as payment in the first place, especially given its volatile nature.

I have never heard of anyone buying things with crypto. It's just a thing that people throw money at, or use to scam other folks or launder money. There is no one out there telling people to buy crypto to use as currency anymore.

You could make a comparison with crypto as some sort of digital version of gold, but gold prices historically over long time periods have basically kept up with inflation and not 10X'ed over a year.

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: May 19, 2021, 05:47:40 pm »
People do buy things with cryptos.

Those things being drugs.  ;D

Elon Musk is very manipulative and he knows his cult-like following will still listen to whatever he says. It's kinda funny that for some this is their first realisation that maybe it isn't a good idea that one billionaire can impact an entire market so easily. It's a shame people didn't learn from the last bubble and risk manage accordingly. Lots of kids and younger people who've jumped into to fear of missing out.
YNWA.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #291 on: May 19, 2021, 05:53:44 pm »

Elon Musk is very manipulative and he knows his cult-like following will still listen to whatever he says. It's kinda funny that for some this is their first realisation that maybe it isn't a good idea that one billionaire can impact an entire market so easily. It's a shame people didn't learn from the last bubble and risk manage accordingly. Lots of kids and younger people who've jumped into to fear of missing out.

South Sea bubble, Tulip craze, Ponzi - the list goes on.

You'll always have wee, greedy people trying to make a quick buck.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #292 on: May 19, 2021, 06:12:15 pm »

I don't know many cybercriminals in real life but I guess that's the niche for cryptocurrencies. Being unregulated and de-centralized makes them perfect for that use. However, the same makes them bad currencies.

Having a central authority that controls and adjusts the monetary policy is a good thing. A lot of libertarians and anarchists would disagree with this but these people haven't lived through times before central banks started taking on their current role. They have never lived through times when bank runs were common or through the great depression.   

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2021, 07:55:41 pm »
I don't know many cybercriminals in real life but I guess that's the niche for cryptocurrencies. Being unregulated and de-centralized makes them perfect for that use. However, the same makes them bad currencies.

Having a central authority that controls and adjusts the monetary policy is a good thing. A lot of libertarians and anarchists would disagree with this but these people haven't lived through times before central banks started taking on their current role. They have never lived through times when bank runs were common or through the great depression.   
Some cryptos (not talking btc) probably have a real world benefit.. otherwise there wouldn't be all this interest and huge $'s involved, imo
YNWA

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #294 on: May 19, 2021, 07:59:44 pm »
Some cryptos (not talking btc) probably have a real world benefit.. otherwise there wouldn't be all this interest and huge $'s involved, imo

I mean the simple fast buck people can make is a reason. A big reason for many.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2021, 09:49:44 pm »
Agree with you on Musk.

However, I think the whole crypto market is just a speculative bubble, demonstrated by the fact that a tweet can wipe billions of dollars or create billions of dollars of market cap.

You would have to be an idiot to accept Bitcoin as payment in the first place, especially given its volatile nature.

I have never heard of anyone buying things with crypto. It's just a thing that people throw money at, or use to scam other folks or launder money. There is no one out there telling people to buy crypto to use as currency anymore.

You could make a comparison with crypto as some sort of digital version of gold, but gold prices historically over long time periods have basically kept up with inflation and not 10X'ed over a year.

Yep.  I've got nothing against people who look for an opportunity in these things but know what you're getting into.  Ultimately,  if you're starting out,  you want the safety of ample reaction time for moves in a market, some space for your errors without burning the account; a speculative bubble is just about the worst pick for that.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2021, 11:03:21 pm »

There are probably some niche uses of the technology. Like I mentioned crime, money laundering, international money transfer, use as currency in extreme cases like in Venezuela. But just because something has a use, it doesn't justify the insane valuations.

Your reasoning about money isn't great either. There are countless examples of people pouring insane amount of money into technologies and things that while useful did not justify the prices. See things like Beanie Babies, internet stocks in the '90s, Tulip mania, Bicycle mania, Canal mania. I am not saying Canals, the Internet or Beanie Babies are useless, just that the prices and the frenzy around them during those bubbles was nuts. Lots of people lost their life savings during these bubbles.

Some of the Crypto hawks seem to think that Crypto will somehow solve all of the world's problems everything from climate change to poverty, I do not buy that at all.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2021, 11:18:29 am »
There are probably some niche uses of the technology. Like I mentioned crime, money laundering, international money transfer, use as currency in extreme cases like in Venezuela. But just because something has a use, it doesn't justify the insane valuations.

Your reasoning about money isn't great either. There are countless examples of people pouring insane amount of money into technologies and things that while useful did not justify the prices. See things like Beanie Babies, internet stocks in the '90s, Tulip mania, Bicycle mania, Canal mania. I am not saying Canals, the Internet or Beanie Babies are useless, just that the prices and the frenzy around them during those bubbles was nuts. Lots of people lost their life savings during these bubbles.

Some of the Crypto hawks seem to think that Crypto will somehow solve all of the world's problems everything from climate change to poverty, I do not buy that at all.

The big attraction to a crypto for hugely wealthy investors is that the finite amount of the crypto means its value cannot be inflationed-away.

Look at the flood of money into cryptos when the scale of the Covid pandemic became apparent. Governments around the world have brought in eye-popping levels of support, which has all got to be paid for. In reality, governments are not going to pay this back; they're going to 'print money' it down. That's going to have an inflationary effect, and inflation devalues fiat cash.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2021, 01:48:03 pm »

The big attraction to a crypto for hugely wealthy investors is that the finite amount of the crypto means its value cannot be inflationed-away.

Look at the flood of money into cryptos when the scale of the Covid pandemic became apparent. Governments around the world have brought in eye-popping levels of support, which has all got to be paid for. In reality, governments are not going to pay this back; they're going to 'print money' it down. That's going to have an inflationary effect, and inflation devalues fiat cash.

What I am saying is that finite-ness alone isn't the reason of the insane price increases. Most things in the world are finite. I can create a new crypto currency in a few hours that can have 10 times less tokens than Bitcoin, does that make my coin worth 10 times more than bitcoin?

Gold for example is the traditional inflation hedge, it is finite. Since last year prices of gold have gone from about 1600$/oz to 1900$/oz today. Bitcoin has gone from $6000 to $60000 and back down to $40,000 in the same time.

In fact as inflation has risen in past few months with the economy opening, bitcoin and most crypto prices have peaked and started declining.

What's driving the prices is supply and demand. And by supply I mean number of coins available for sale. When prices are rising no one wants to sell due to FOMO, more and more people want to buy because they see others making huge gains. Its a positive feedback loop. Once the prices start to drop it can easily turn into a negative feedback loop. Similar to what happened in 2017. We are already seeing that again.

Its pure speculation that determines the prices. Unlike with other assets like Stocks there are no fundamentals that matter at all. Don't get me wrong, stocks and other asset classes also go through their own speculative bubbles but with crypto it seems like that is all there to it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:46:47 pm by Max_powers »

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2021, 02:05:32 pm »
It wasn't Musk's tweet alone that did this though, as much as he'd love to take credit I'm sure. China brought in new regulations against cryptocurrency mining and trading which drove the prices down as well
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #300 on: May 25, 2021, 10:10:07 am »
It wasn't Musk's tweet alone that did this though, as much as he'd love to take credit I'm sure. China brought in new regulations against cryptocurrency mining and trading which drove the prices down as well

Even that was limited, the real reason I believe is what nobody is talking about, which is the hedgefunds short positions in 'meme stocks' being even worse than it was in January due to them cockily doubling/trebling down on positions believing the retail investors would get bored and move on, and now they can't get themselves out of, so they've liquidated assets elsewhere knowing the margin calls are coming.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #301 on: June 2, 2021, 08:36:00 pm »
This isn't in postscript yet. This is still very much alive.

told ya ;)