Author Topic: Wifi-enabled PVR?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
Wifi-enabled PVR?
« on: January 1, 2019, 06:47:33 pm »
I have had a look through existing threads but can't find a relevant one so have started afresh. Mods, feel free to merge if there is one.

I have recently switched from Virgin Media to Plusnet as I was fed up with the constant price increases. It's a little bit slower (well, the wifi seems to drop out for a second or two when it feels like it but not so bad).

However, it has made my TV a bit redundant as I have realised how much I used to watch the catch-up services. :D My deal is for phone line and fibre broadband only but I am not sure whether to add the Youview+ TV deal to it, or just buy a PVR. (I have a lap-top and have been watching stuff on there but not quite the same  :-\ )

The Plusnet guy installed the router in the hall as that is where the old BT phone socket from the previous owner of the house was (even though I had paid the new line installation fee), and it's a bit of pain. So my phone is now out there on the floor and the router. And the other phone upstairs no longer works. ::) I was a bit annoyed I didn't get a choice and he didn't check anything - like the fact there is just one single socket there and the phone and router need two. He didn't even plug the phone in.

Now, if I get the Plusnet Youview+ box, am I right in thinking it will have to be physically plugged into the router in the hall?

Can you get wifi PVRs? Are they any good? (Recommendations please if so.)

Any advice welcome. Thanks :wave
We are a team of one half.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: Wifi-enabled PVR?
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2019, 07:17:41 pm »
Couldn't you use powerline adaptors?  That's what I use - as the router is in a different room to my you view box.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2019, 10:59:12 pm »
Sounds promising but I don't know what that is!!  :-[ ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2019, 11:42:57 pm »
My phone socket is in our hall as well,I just used an extension (cheap one as well) so I could put the phone in the room & then run another extension to the desktop where I put the router,I then use powerline adaptors upstairs and run the ethernet cable to the upstairs youview boxes in both bedrooms.You can get wifi extenders but I don't think that you can get wifi enabled youview boxes.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2019, 01:14:45 pm »
OK. So do I need two and then does that allow the wifi to talk to the two items plugged in to those sockets? I meant I had never heard of the term and so wasn't sure what the adaptors did.

So I'd have one that the router is plugged into? And one for the PVR?

Thanks

Offline Millie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #6 on: January 3, 2019, 06:10:33 am »
OK. So do I need two and then does that allow the wifi to talk to the two items plugged in to those sockets? I meant I had never heard of the term and so wasn't sure what the adaptors did.

So I'd have one that the router is plugged into? And one for the PVR?

Thanks

I'm not very technically minded so bear with me.  Yes you need at least two.  They are to extend your ethernet (wired) network.  So one plug is used near to the router and an ethernet cable then plugged into it, other end plugged into the router.  You then plug your second adaptor near to the device you want to add to your wired network, and  plug in an ethernet cable.  Then plug other end of cable into your ethernet enabled device.  It is basically using your electrical wiring as an extended ethernet cable. 

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #7 on: January 3, 2019, 11:31:10 am »
OK. Thanks.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2019, 12:47:49 pm »
OK. Thanks.
^^^ that's a good layman's description. Powerline adapters means that you won't have to use wi-fi at all and the service should be quicker and smoother.