Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 388128 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Daniel Sturridge in decline: Speed statistics highlight the problem
« Reply #360 on: March 3, 2017, 04:43:00 pm »
I like Sturridge. Seems like a good lad by all accounts. Such a pity injuries have ravaged his career so much. Can't help but feel sorry for him

To be honest though, I gave up on him ever being a mainstay for us well over a year ago.

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: March 3, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
I like Sturridge. Seems like a good lad by all accounts. Such a pity injuries have ravaged his career so much. Can't help but feel sorry for him

To be honest though, I gave up on him ever being a mainstay for us well over a year ago.

Impossible to sell, too.  Wages are too high, and nobody wants to sign a player on wages (even reduced), who isn't going to play for them.  I'd expect him to stay to the end of his contract, try to put a good run of form together and get the club to bank that.  Loan the lad to Bournemouth next season :)

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #362 on: March 3, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »
Was being ill just a cooked up story to cover up his injury? How on earth does one manage to get injured in a rehab session?

Feel for the guy, it must kill him knowing his body won't hold up. If I was him i would retire at the end of season, surely putting yourself through the mental side of constantly being injured can't be good in the long run..
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: March 3, 2017, 05:52:51 pm »
Was being ill just a cooked up story to cover up his injury? How on earth does one manage to get injured in a rehab session?

Feel for the guy, it must kill him knowing his body won't hold up. If I was him i would retire at the end of season, surely putting yourself through the mental side of constantly being injured can't be good in the long run..

From the sounds of it, he was ill with a virus, it went away and came back, but then he got the injury.

For someone with such a history of injuries, it's probably not all that strange for Sturridge to get an injury during rehab.

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: March 3, 2017, 06:09:16 pm »
This guy HAS to go in the summer, waste of wages.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline petercormack

• Main Stander
« Reply #365 on: March 3, 2017, 06:21:04 pm »
This guy HAS to go in the summer, waste of wages.
As someone said above we'll never be able to sell. Just hope we can loan him out and pay half his wages

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: March 3, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »
Reminds me a bit of Agger - his body just wasn't built for top flight rigors. We need to sell and get whatever we can fast. Sucks that he is in his "prime"

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: March 3, 2017, 06:25:39 pm »
As someone said above we'll never be able to sell. Just hope we can loan him out and pay half his wages
I'm sure we will.
IŽll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: March 3, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »

We will definitely find a buyer for Sturridge. Its not even a doubt. We probably may not get more than Ł15m but we will definitely sell him. He hasnt been unavailable for that much of the season.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #370 on: March 3, 2017, 08:12:41 pm »
We will definitely find a buyer for Sturridge. Its not even a doubt. We probably may not get more than Ł15m but we will definitely sell him. He hasnt been unavailable for that much of the season.

If he string a few matches together before the end of the season scoring a few goals between them, then maybe market opinions about him could change. Otherwise we are stuck with a broken footballer. Top clubs do not keep unfit players no matter how good they were. Owen Hargreaves, Vidic (as soon as he started getting injured frequently), Woodgate comes to mind.

In  the same way, I was glad we managed to get rid of Carroll even though it was on the cheap. What good is a talented footballer who couldn't play? Keep a lookout for Carroll getting injured while damaging his snooker table and miss 4 months of the season.

If someone came in with Ł10m for Sturridge, I would bite his hands off. After all, we didn't pay much for Sturridge and it wouldn't be a big loss.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2017, 08:46:08 pm by RedForeverTT »

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: March 3, 2017, 08:51:42 pm »
If he string a few matches together before the end of the season scoring a few goals between them, then maybe market opinions about him could change. Otherwise we are stuck with a broken footballer. Top clubs do not keep unfit players no matter how good they were. Owen Hargreaves, Vidic (as soon as he started getting injured frequently), Woodgate comes to mind.

In  the same way, I was glad we managed to get rid of Carroll even though it was on the cheap. What good is a talented footballer who couldn't play? Keep a lookout for Carroll getting injured while damaging his snooker table and miss 4 months of the season.

If someone came in with Ł10m for Sturridge, I would bite his hands off. After all, we didn't pay much for Sturridge and it wouldn't be a big loss.

This appears to be the brutal truth. So sad.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #372 on: March 3, 2017, 08:53:10 pm »
This appears to be the brutal truth. So sad.

Not brutal at all he's literally been injured for 3 and a half years.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #373 on: March 3, 2017, 09:03:25 pm »
11, 26, 7, 11, 5.

Dan's first team Premier league starts over the past 5 seasons to date. The 26 being 13/14 of course when he banged in 21 goals and was unstoppable
alongside Luisito.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #374 on: March 3, 2017, 10:11:06 pm »
11, 26, 7, 11, 5.

Dan's first team Premier league starts over the past 5 seasons to date. The 26 being 13/14 of course when he banged in 21 goals and was unstoppable
alongside Luisito.
Probably scared Luisito would eat him alive if he didn't play :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: March 3, 2017, 10:49:15 pm »
Probably scared Luisito would eat him alive if he didn't play :)

i think he brought out the best in him. I think Sturridge always wanted to do as good as Luis or better.

Its sad its come to this. this guy was a terrific talent.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: March 4, 2017, 12:19:05 am »
ah you saw this as well then

:lmao

I thought the same thing.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #377 on: March 4, 2017, 08:59:19 am »
He's the strikers equvilant of Ledley King

When match fit an in form, probably the country's best player. same as King, if he didn't have such bad fortune he probably would be classed as the best English center back for some time.

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #378 on: March 4, 2017, 09:19:38 am »
Obviously inevitable he'll be sold in the summer. Feel sorry for him but its gone beyond a joke now. You just cant be paying someone Ł120k a week to start 23 league games in 3 years.

Paper talks suggesting we're going to hold out for Ł30m, similar to what we got for Benteke. Personally don't think we'll get half of that.

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #379 on: March 4, 2017, 10:18:48 am »
He's the strikers equvilant of Ledley King

When match fit an in form, probably the country's best player. same as King, if he didn't have such bad fortune he probably would be classed as the best English center back for some time.
Absolutely, and we as Liverpool fans should afford him the same respect.

It sadly makes most sense for him to move on now, as Klopp needs players he can physically depend upon, and the full, final realisation of the grim reality of his irreparable physical fragility, after all we've done to attempt to 'fix' him, can't be avoided.

However, as I've said in this thread in the past, anyone putting it across with a sort of "good riddance" vibe can fuck right off. Dan will always have 13/14, that'll always afford him a place in the hearts of supporters like me, with an acknowledgment that he was one of our most talented strikers robbed of the chance to become a club legend by a body just that bit too brittle for this game.

Imagine having all that ability, but it being caged in a physical vessel that constantly prohibits its full expression? That might well sound extremely dramatic, as he's not actually paralysed like some poor geniuses are, and can clearly still live a rich, full life outside of the highest level of the sport, but he's effectively been denied the shot at greatness his talent deserved. Wish more than ever now that the side hadn't let him down so pathetically in the Europa final.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: March 4, 2017, 10:21:36 am »
Impossible to sell, too.  Wages are too high, and nobody wants to sign a player on wages (even reduced), who isn't going to play for them.  I'd expect him to stay to the end of his contract, try to put a good run of form together and get the club to bank that.  Loan the lad to Bournemouth next season :)
Loaning him out to lower ranked teams that have a fighting chance of taking points of our rivals would be the next best thing to selling.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #381 on: March 4, 2017, 10:42:01 am »
Imagine having all that ability, but it being caged in a physical vessel that constantly prohibits its full expression?

Daniel Sturridge. The Stephen Hawking of LFC ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #382 on: March 4, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
To be fair, Ledley King used to come back from injury and looks like Franco Baresi and Franz Beckenbauer rolled into one for a couple of games before he got injured again. Studge just seems to get worse  :butt
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #383 on: March 4, 2017, 11:19:39 am »
Daniel Sturridge. The Stephen Hawking of LFC ;D
Some of his understanding of space is far cleverer  ;D

To be fair, Ledley King used to come back from injury and looks like Franco Baresi and Franz Beckenbauer rolled into one for a couple of games before he got injured again. Studge just seems to get worse  :butt
King was indeed extraordinary. At various times it was like he bypassed the whole concept of match fitness.

I don't think Sturridge has that peculiar superpower, and I can't remember the last time he'd reached match fitness and was in form. It feels more like a hazy memory from a bygone era.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: March 4, 2017, 12:18:49 pm »
West Ham or Palace 30 million easily this summer.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: March 4, 2017, 12:24:25 pm »

Always in time for us as well   ::)

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: March 4, 2017, 12:45:55 pm »
It seems a bit like de ja vu like when aurelio was here. A rolls royce of a player but out more than in.
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: March 4, 2017, 02:02:07 pm »
Just seen a replay of the 5-1 in 2014. He was rapid. He looks a complete different player now.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline ggcc14

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: March 9, 2017, 11:36:39 am »
Do we know what is wrong with him?  :o

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: March 9, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »
Do we know what is wrong with him?  :o

Mentally or physically??

Offline Buenasnoches

• Duruti Column?
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #390 on: March 9, 2017, 12:59:08 pm »
He'll be gone in the summer, no doubt. During 13/14, Suarez was the best player in the world and the thing is that Dan wasn't that far behind him, that's how good he could be. Sad, innit?
More soul than a sock with a hole

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #391 on: March 9, 2017, 02:02:31 pm »
He had a cold, then he had a hip injury.

How did he injure his hip when he's in bed with a cold?

I'm not trying to be funny. Ok, I am a bit, but it does show how fragile he is.
You try me once you beg for more.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #392 on: March 9, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »
He had a cold, then he had a hip injury.

I'm not trying to be funny. Ok, I am a bit, but it does show how fragile he is.

He did his hip in his first rehab session after coming back from being ill. According to Klopp.

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #393 on: March 9, 2017, 02:10:34 pm »
Just seen a replay of the 5-1 in 2014. He was rapid. He looks a complete different player now.

Physiologically (I think that's the word) what would make a player slow down more after an injury? I wondered whether they would actually slow down or in their head they wouldn't feel they could push as much.

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: March 9, 2017, 06:19:59 pm »

He sneezed.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: March 9, 2017, 10:39:44 pm »
Physiologically (I think that's the word) what would make a player slow down more after an injury? I wondered whether they would actually slow down or in their head they wouldn't feel they could push as much.

Roy Keane was slow as tar after hip surgery.  Gerrard slowed after groin surgery.  Lucas after knee surgery. Essien too. Torres as well. Major surgery has had that effect on loads of players. Anyhow he wouldn't be starting any games so he won't be missed.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: March 9, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »

He was never lightningTM.

Had to say that because that was in many ways the point of starting the thread. "He was never lightning" was actually becoming the view of far too many.

I would hate to say get rid, especially in the light of Falcao suddenly regaining his speed after 2 years of abject performances and looking a different player as a result. I for one am hoping that Sturridge is showing signs of recovery in training, but if not, then maybe we just have to bite the bullet and allow him to leave. Maybe a move to a slower and less intense league is what he needs to rebuild his fitness and if PSG are interested as rumoured, it might work well for both parties.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: March 9, 2017, 11:12:16 pm »
Roy Keane was slow as tar after hip surgery.  Gerrard slowed after groin surgery.  Lucas after knee surgery. Essien too. Torres as well. Major surgery has had that effect on loads of players. Anyhow he wouldn't be starting any games so he won't be missed.

Gerrard also lost his shooting power. He was never able to generate that whip and speed of movement in his leg to smash one in from 30 metres out with a relatively small backlift. Lucas as you rightly pointed out is a shell of the player he was before the injury. Torres lost acceleration and became half the player he was. You're absolutely right in what you've said. Injury and surgeries have a major impact on players.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: March 9, 2017, 11:32:57 pm »
Gerrard also lost his shooting power. He was never able to generate that whip and speed of movement in his leg to smash one in from 30 metres out with a relatively small backlift. Lucas as you rightly pointed out is a shell of the player he was before the injury. Torres lost acceleration and became half the player he was. You're absolutely right in what you've said. Injury and surgeries have a major impact on players.

Up until major hip surgery Sturridge always returned with a bang. I still think he'll score plenty goals in a different team. Perhaps a different league. Although always with the "if his body holds up" clause.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #399 on: March 10, 2017, 06:26:56 am »
11, 26, 7, 11, 5.

alongside Luisito.

Those figures, in particular the last 3 seasons, do make for quite dismal reading, and (assuming they are correct) even 13/14 when we probably played 46 games he only managed to start in just over 1/2 of them.
He looks a completely different player now compared with even 2 years ago, but despite everything he still manages a quite respectable 1 in every 2.5 games strike rate.
He's not finished, but I'm not sure if he'll still be here in 6 months time.