Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1417163 times)

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #14240 on: May 8, 2024, 09:56:19 am »
I will say that his contract situation is made much more difficult for us because his defensive work has been so far below the ‘world class player’ description he’s getting on this page for a while now. So do we pay him ‘World class player’ wages even though we really need him to improve defensively? Or even though he may want to move into CM and it’s really not clear yet if he’ll deserve the moniker ‘world class player’ as a CM yet??

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14241 on: May 8, 2024, 09:57:46 am »
I’ll be gutted if he leaves because he’s grown up a red and he’s a great player, but I’m not concerned because I don’t think it’ll happen. However if it does, it does but I’m not going to worry about something that might not happen.
Particularly as there’s no real indication he wants to leave. There’s often a fair amount of brinkmanship in contract negotiations these days anyway.

How slick have we been these past 18 months? We havent had a proper sporting director in place. Who is sitting down with Trent to sort this out?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14242 on: May 8, 2024, 10:00:08 am »
I will say that his contract situation is made much more difficult for us because his defensive work has been so far below the ‘world class player’ description he’s getting on this page for a while now. So do we pay him ‘World class player’ wages even though we really need him to improve defensively? Or even though he may want to move into CM and it’s really not clear yet if he’ll deserve the moniker ‘world class player’ as a CM yet??

If he leaves us, he will walk into a side like Real Madrid's. What does that tell you?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14243 on: May 8, 2024, 10:03:52 am »

He absolutely does deserve that wage. Honestly people need to get a grip, the casual way they are happy to just let the likes of Trent, Robbo and Salah go. These are world class players and there is a reason we have no other world class players under 30. These players are our x factor, lose them and we are on the level of Spurs and co.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14244 on: May 8, 2024, 10:04:26 am »
If he leaves us, he will walk into a side like Real Madrid's. What does that tell you?

Sure. He will at right back. And in la liga he’ll barely have to do any defending in 90% of the games. At CM he’ll struggle. But who cares about Madrid. On form he’s not even walking into this Liverpool team given how good we’ve looked with 2 traditional right backs instead of inverting, Bradley’s rise and Trent’s infuriating casualness in defence well over a season now. He should become the greatest right back who’s ever played the game, he’s that good, but there are genuine issues with him currently. Don’t get me wrong, I love him and I’d throw whatever he wanted at him contract wise and hope that he can relearn the defensive aspects of the game he needs under new coaching staff.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14245 on: May 8, 2024, 10:06:40 am »
He absolutely does deserve that wage. Honestly people need to get a grip, the casual way they are happy to just let the likes of Trent, Robbo and Salah go. These are world class players and there is a reason we have no other world class players under 30. These players are our x factor, lose them and we are on the level of Spurs and co.

I don’t disagree but too often recently he’s not been playing like a world class right back. Not even close.

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14246 on: May 8, 2024, 10:07:01 am »
Sure. He will at right back. And in la liga he’ll barely have to do any defending in 90% of the games. At CM he’ll struggle. But who cares about Madrid. On form he’s not even walking into this Liverpool team given how good we’ve looked with 2 traditional right backs instead of inverting, Bradley’s rise and Trent’s infuriating casualness in defence well over a season now. He should become the greatest right back who’s ever played the game, he’s that good, but there are genuine issues with him right now.

Our record with him playing as an inverted full-back is incredible. Getting beat once or twice on the counter-attack doesn't change that fact.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #14247 on: May 8, 2024, 10:08:21 am »
Sure. He will at right back. And in la liga he’ll barely have to do any defending in 90% of the games. At CM he’ll struggle. But who cares about Madrid. On form he’s not even walking into this Liverpool team given how good we’ve looked with 2 traditional right backs instead of inverting, Bradley’s rise and Trent’s infuriating casualness in defence well over a season now. He should become the greatest right back who’s ever played the game, he’s that good, but there are genuine issues with him currently. Don’t get me wrong, I love him and I’d throw whatever he wanted at him contract wise and hope that he can relearn the defensive aspects of the game he needs under new coaching staff.

The biggest issue defensively is that our right winger doesn't track back. That is how we setup and it worked when we had real energy in midfield and Henderson covering that area.

As for inverting. Slot plays with an inverted right back. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14248 on: May 8, 2024, 10:21:24 am »
But we have no control over what happens. I don’t want to lose them, but I’m not gonna to worry about something I have no control over.

Players have most (if not all) of the cards with contract negotiations these days. They can pretty much choose to run down their contracts if that’s what they want to do and if they know there is plenty of interest in them and we don’t really want to sell, it’s a pretty good negotiating tactic. I suspect Trent is just trying to get himself the best contract he can, and is putting himself in the best position to do that.

As a Liverpool lad and supporter the club will know he ideally doesn’t want to leave which weakens his position, so this could be his way of strengthening it
« Last Edit: May 8, 2024, 10:24:58 am by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14249 on: May 9, 2024, 07:02:12 pm »
I can't wait to watch all the Trent haters watch him boss it at Madrid while we are languishing at 6th with Conor Bradley at right back.

Anyone who does not rate Trent frankly has no clue about football, I am sorry.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14250 on: May 9, 2024, 07:29:21 pm »
I can't wait to watch all the Trent haters watch him boss it at Madrid while we are languishing at 6th with Conor Bradley at right back.

Anyone who does not rate Trent frankly has no clue about football, I am sorry.

Why are we languishing in 6th with Connor Bradley at right back? Is he going to refuse to play defense too, and demand to become a midfielder?

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14251 on: May 9, 2024, 07:47:00 pm »
Why are we languishing in 6th with Connor Bradley at right back? Is he going to refuse to play defense too, and demand to become a midfielder?

When has Trent ever demanded to be a midfielder? Apart from saying it's his preference to be in a position to impact the game as much as possible, he has only ever said how happy he is to play for the club, do a job for the team etc.

Is this some sort of weird coping mechanism for if he leaves?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 02:03:14 pm by Bennett »

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14252 on: May 9, 2024, 10:05:04 pm »
Don’t think he’s said it, has he? It’s an explanation for why he’s looked so disinterested in defending at points though.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14253 on: May 9, 2024, 10:07:43 pm »
Don’t think he’s said it, has he? It’s an explanation for why he’s looked so disinterested in defending at points though.
god almighty.  ::) ::)

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14254 on: May 9, 2024, 10:24:39 pm »
The way some people talk about Trent is incredible. He’s probably the most irreplaceable player at the club. Bradley done well at right back, I’m sure he’ll get his fair share of minutes there in the coming years, but only if Trent moves elsewhere further up the field. For me Trent’s our best player now, we really need to be finding a way to make his life easier, something we haven’t done for years.

Online BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #14255 on: May 10, 2024, 12:29:38 am »
He's just wasted defending now and he knows it, simple as that. Hopefully Slot has big ideas for him and Trent likes what he has to say otherwise he'll be off for nothing in twelve months. 

Online G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14256 on: May 10, 2024, 01:40:49 am »
I liked Virg coming out with an unequivocal statement about being here through the transition and looking to the future at Liverpool. It quelled speculation as to what he might do, with only a year on his deal.

It would be good if Trent did something like that, and ideally they both sign new deals.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #14257 on: May 10, 2024, 01:44:34 am »
Still disappointed with his 'this means more' interview, when he wasn't even playing. Then he forgot it 'means more' when he was defending at the back post in a Derby game.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14258 on: May 10, 2024, 02:54:16 am »
Still disappointed with his 'this means more' interview, when he wasn't even playing. Then he forgot it 'means more' when he was defending at the back post in a Derby game.
you're a complete troll.  please fuck off.

Offline istvan kozma

• Legacy Fan
  • "We have dreams and songs to sing"
« Reply #14259 on: May 10, 2024, 03:02:45 am »
you're a complete troll.  please fuck off.
Nah, I'm just calling it, as it is. The only talking that matters in March April & May, is the talking that happens on the pitch.

Offline Knight

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14260 on: May 10, 2024, 06:19:50 am »
god almighty.  ::) ::)

He genuinely has. I think it’s probably been how it’s appeared rather than reality but it’s been really odd to see the change in his defending. He used to be a right pest against attackers and very determined in duels. On occasion now he just stands there as attacking players go past him. I genuinely think he could be the best right back in world football, ever and I absolutely want him at the club for his whole career. And if his defending stays like it’s been for a while he’s still a positive because his right (and left to be honest) foot is so otherworldly in what it can do - I’ve never seen a player strike the ball like he can. But the seeming disinterest in defending at points (note the at points) has been picked up on here quite a bit by plenty of people.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14261 on: May 10, 2024, 06:59:56 am »
Nah, I'm just calling it, as it is. The only talking that matters in March April & May, is the talking that happens on the pitch.

I’m all for criticising some of his 1v1 defending, a lot of it’s slack and fair. But let’s not act like he stood a chance against DCL at the back stick. I remember similar criticism being levelled at him after Mitrovic scored for Fulham on the opening day of last season. It’s the oldest trick in the book, get the target man vs the smaller full back and put one up there for him to attack. The set piece defending was disgraceful as a unit all night, but that’s the collective, not the individual. You sound like a United fan when you say stuff like that.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnoldes
« Reply #14262 on: May 10, 2024, 07:08:16 am »
I’m all for criticising some of his 1v1 defending, a lot of it’s slack and fair. But let’s not act like he stood a chance against DCL at the back stick. I remember similar criticism being levelled at him after Mitrovic scored for Fulham on the opening day of last season. It’s the oldest trick in the book, get the target man vs the smaller full back and put one up there for him to attack. The set piece defending was disgraceful as a unit all night, but that’s the collective, not the individual. You sound like a United fan when you say stuff like that.

I don’t agree, he’s vice captain of the team and he doesn’t even jump, zero challenge for the ball, that’s the bare minimum.

His defending has got worse over the last few years, especially the more he’s played inverted playmaker, it can improve and when it does he will be the best right back in the world again.

Calling people Utd fans for having a different opinion than you? Give it a rest with that toxic shit.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14263 on: May 10, 2024, 07:36:10 am »
I don’t agree, he’s vice captain of the team and he doesn’t even jump, zero challenge for the ball, that’s the bare minimum.

His defending has got worse over the last few years, especially the more he’s played inverted playmaker, it can improve and when it does he will be the best right back in the world again.

Calling people Utd fans for having a different opinion than you? Give it a rest with that toxic shit.

The toxic shite is saying stuff like he forgot it means more when defending his back post. He done an interview where he literally said because we’re challenging with less money it means more. That’s it. Using that against him because he got beat at his back post (again) is both ridiculous and the stuff of troll opposition fans.

Trent isn’t good at defending, we all know, and just because he’s had games where he has defended well or has been more dialled in, the overwhelming evidence is he isn’t a good defender. The desperation to make it something more than it is, by crucifying things like body language or facial expressions is both tedious and pointless. That game our set piece defending was shocking 1-11 all game, every single set play a number of players were switching off, it was a bit like the game at Brentford last season where we looked completely bamboozled by very obvious tactics on set pieces. There’s no need to bring up an honest interview and use it as a stick to beat him with.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14264 on: May 10, 2024, 07:55:04 am »
The toxic shite is saying stuff like he forgot it means more when defending his back post. He done an interview where he literally said because we’re challenging with less money it means more. That’s it. Using that against him because he got beat at his back post (again) is both ridiculous and the stuff of troll opposition fans.

Trent isn’t good at defending, we all know, and just because he’s had games where he has defended well or has been more dialled in, the overwhelming evidence is he isn’t a good defender. The desperation to make it something more than it is, by crucifying things like body language or facial expressions is both tedious and pointless. That game our set piece defending was shocking 1-11 all game, every single set play a number of players were switching off, it was a bit like the game at Brentford last season where we looked completely bamboozled by very obvious tactics on set pieces. There’s no need to bring up an honest interview and use it as a stick to beat him with.

Calling any Liverpool fan a troll Utd fan is proper bad behaviour and you know it.

Trent used to be a good defender, now he isn’t if you try and argue otherwise I’d say you are the troll as it’s plain to see in the stats and in the eye test.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #14265 on: May 10, 2024, 08:12:27 am »
Holy fuck. One player thread after another just disintegrates into mindless bickering.

It’s pathetic.

How some of you “support” your club, is the absolute opposite of what that word means
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14266 on: May 10, 2024, 08:30:06 am »
Calling any Liverpool fan a troll Utd fan is proper bad behaviour and you know it.

Trent used to be a good defender, now he isn’t if you try and argue otherwise I’d say you are the troll as it’s plain to see in the stats and in the eye test.

Did you even read what I said?

He isn’t a good defender, I agree. It’s the people trying to make him out to be a bad person or a bad leader that need to give their heads a wobble.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14267 on: May 10, 2024, 08:43:16 am »

Your mad at him saying it means more winning something with a club you grew up supporting and are from the city?

His also the vice fucking captain

What you on mate?

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14268 on: May 10, 2024, 09:01:13 am »
Did you even read what I said?

He isn’t a good defender, I agree. It’s the people trying to make him out to be a bad person or a bad leader that need to give their heads a wobble.

Any debate can be had without resorting to calling people utd fans no?

My personal opinion is he shirks his defensive duties too much for vice captain, I don't know if that is tactical or not but having Salah and Trent both not doing much defending has been problematic for some time.

I find it frustrating as Trent used to be the best right back in the world and was good at defending, so the change to me is something which is fixable.

Offline mullyred94

• Legacy Fan
  • Darwin Nunez's lovechild
« Reply #14269 on: May 10, 2024, 09:09:15 am »

My personal opinion is he shirks his defensive duties too much for vice captain, I don't know if that is tactical or not but having Salah and Trent both not doing much defending has been problematic for some time.

I find it frustrating as Trent used to be the best right back in the world and was good at defending, so the change to me is something which is fixable.

Trent seems to have lapses in concentration mostly when he makes a mistake defensively in my opinion.

Whether that is something that is because he has too many things he is focusing on with the inverted role or something else only he and the coaches would know.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14270 on: May 10, 2024, 10:04:08 am »
I might be wrong, and I know our results picked up once we did it but feels like he’s had more focus on his defending since inverting.

Might just be my lack of understanding, it might be others, or just the fact that no one quite knows what’s being asked of him but he’ll sometimes look ‘out if position’ for a traditional right back if we cough the ball up. Suppose that was the case when he playing wide and high up the pitch too.

Just think our formation and way of playing is such a high wire act at times, and when it does go wrong it can leave some of the players looking exposed.

Maybe that will change next season. Hopefully he and Slot get to have a good talk about where they both see his best position early.

Offline oldman

• Kopite
« Reply #14271 on: May 10, 2024, 10:36:05 am »
very few defenders jump to clear - its all about blocking runs of attackers - its not just Trent , its the modern way of defending.
Drives me mad

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14272 on: May 10, 2024, 10:50:11 am »
I think perhaps the issue is that without Fabinho in midfield and with Trent and Robbo on the flanks, we're missing some height on set pieces. It's a small part of why we looked so much better as a team when Gomez was starting. Also, although I get why people are griping at Trent for this, you could equally make the case that it isn't his side of the pitch the crosses are coming in from.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #14273 on: May 10, 2024, 10:53:37 am »

Any debate about his game can be had without bringing up shite from an interview that was both inoffensive and wholeheartedly true. It shouldn’t be held against him or used as a stick to beat him with.

Like United fans, who somehow turned on Rashford for helping kids get some meals, there’s no need to bring stuff up like that and act like a player can’t make a mistake because they said something which was perfectly fine in an interview.

The situation with Trent at the moment seems to be an issue a lot of top sides have historically with some of their best players and how to get the best from them. We had the issue with Gerrard under Rafa where he played on the right, didn’t suit the 442 but found his best in the 4231. United for years struggled to get the best from Pogba despite Pogba showing for France he could dial in and be disciplined for 90 mins, for United his concentration lacked and they never found a way to cover it properly.

Before his injuries this season Trent was our best player playing as a right back, his defending wasn’t an issue and he was inverting to a ridiculous level. Since returning from his injury he - and pretty much all of his teammates - have struggled defensively, we’ve lost intensity, discipline and concentration. I would prefer he moved into midfield full time and was given the creative freedom that someone like Odegaard or De Bruyne is given, it would mean we’d probably have to drop one of Szobo/Curtis/Macca to do that, I’m unsure if that’s the best solution for the team in 50% of the games we play, but maybe it needs to happen to get the best from Trent, who elevates this side more than anyone.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 10:56:31 am by Garlic Red »

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14274 on: May 10, 2024, 11:03:13 am »
I think perhaps the issue is that without Fabinho in midfield and with Trent and Robbo on the flanks, we're missing some height on set pieces. It's a small part of why we looked so much better as a team when Gomez was starting. Also, although I get why people are griping at Trent for this, you could equally make the case that it isn't his side of the pitch the crosses are coming in from.

100% it's a collective effort from normal play but set pieces we could do better.

I don't think any fullback is beating the likes of Toney, Calvin-Lewin etc. at the back post if the ball is good enough.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #14275 on: May 10, 2024, 11:09:53 am »
Gosh some of the stuff here is pure garbage and embarrassing. Some of the posters sound like opposition fans trotting out the same old shit about Trent.

All players have weaknesses and also strengths. Trent's strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. Yes you can harp on all day about him being beaten in the air at the back post (as you could do for Robertson).

Other teams will have good defenders as they need them. Their defenders will hardly cross the half way line nor ping diagonal balls to the far wing. Their defenders will sit tight and man mark all game so they will always be close to their player. Trent on the other hand will be crossing the ball from the opponent's touch line and is not a man marker of a defender.

Our game is all about pressing high and attacking. If you want to see us sitting deep and not coming out of our half then you are supporting the wrong team.

Trent's weaknesses will be exposed at times but don't be a prick and listen to United supporters and take the bait....."Trent cannot defend". Trent is a decent defender but is world class going forwards and taking freekicks.
#JFT97

Offline Kalito

• Legacy Fan
  • ***JFT97***
« Reply #14276 on: May 10, 2024, 01:39:45 pm »
Gosh some of the stuff here is pure garbage and embarrassing. Some of the posters sound like opposition fans trotting out the same old shit about Trent.

All players have weaknesses and also strengths. Trent's strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. Yes you can harp on all day about him being beaten in the air at the back post (as you could do for Robertson).

Other teams will have good defenders as they need them. Their defenders will hardly cross the half way line nor ping diagonal balls to the far wing. Their defenders will sit tight and man mark all game so they will always be close to their player. Trent on the other hand will be crossing the ball from the opponent's touch line and is not a man marker of a defender.

Our game is all about pressing high and attacking. If you want to see us sitting deep and not coming out of our half then you are supporting the wrong team.

Trent's weaknesses will be exposed at times but don't be a prick and listen to United supporters and take the bait....."Trent cannot defend". Trent is a decent defender but is world class going forwards and taking freekicks.
:thumbup
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Mr Bill Shankly

"be careful of media, they can make you hate the oppressed and love the oppressors." - Malcolm X

The notion that an Occupier is defending itself is as absurd as the notion that the rapist is defending itself from the victim.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14277 on: May 10, 2024, 01:47:09 pm »

well said.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14278 on: May 10, 2024, 01:49:57 pm »

Hyperbole much? No-one has said Trent cannot defend, the discussion (without resorting to you're a utd fan insults) is why he's stopped defending. If you want to argue he's not fair enough, but I think he is a much worse defender now than he used to be, again as stated before I don't know if thats tactical or personal but on the tactical side I think it's crazy to have both Trent and Salah with minimal defensive duties.

The key part is Bradley, being asked to do the exact same role as Trent (maybe less long balls) has been a far better defender.

It's a really strange situation because a few years ago when the the public (mainly around England call ups) statements he couldn't defend came out, it was with a great irony as that was utter rubbish, he was a good defender at that point, yet since then he's got worse (in my humble opinion). When we played 433 Trent and Robbo were the best all round fullbacks in the world.

Offline KC7

• Main Stander
« Reply #14279 on: May 10, 2024, 02:50:28 pm »
He genuinely has. I think it’s probably been how it’s appeared rather than reality but it’s been really odd to see the change in his defending. He used to be a right pest against attackers and very determined in duels. On occasion now he just stands there as attacking players go past him. I genuinely think he could be the best right back in world football, ever and I absolutely want him at the club for his whole career. And if his defending stays like it’s been for a while he’s still a positive because his right (and left to be honest) foot is so otherworldly in what it can do - I’ve never seen a player strike the ball like he can. But the seeming disinterest in defending at points (note the at points) has been picked up on here quite a bit by plenty of people.

He's never been great defensively though has he? He's the same player he has always been.

We all know he is not getting the same cover as before, that's what has changed.

When the midfield was at it, an athletic, pressing machine, Trent was one of many who prospered. Licence to get forward without constantly worrying about the space he had left.

It comes back to the 6 and the knock on effect. When he does his job without needing protection to cover a lack of mobility, this allows the 8s to do their job better, not just in attack but defence. Dom is great at tracking back, but chuck in the extra workload he (and the other 8s) have to do in protecting the slow 6 in staying close to him, it's too much. The lack of defensive protection means the ball then gets through to the back four alot more, and with more one on ones for Trent to deal with. Like the 8s his workload has increased.

As much as we need an athletic 6 though the priority this summer has to be Trent's contract. We cannot let that run down. He's a ridiculous talent.