Author Topic: Sven Goran Eriksson: YNWA  (Read 11931 times)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Re: Sven Goran Eriksson has cancer
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2024, 02:25:20 pm »
BBC News - Fans call for Sven-Goran Eriksson to manage Liverpool FC Legends
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-67980714

Can't see it not happening now.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2024, 02:43:26 pm »
https://twitter.com/LivEchonews/status/1746777263692026145

The Liverpool ECHO today joins calls to grant Sven-Goran Eriksson his dying LFC wish.

The ECHO has joined the call for Sven-Goran Eriksson to be given the chance to manage Liverpool after revealing heartbreaking terminal cancer diagnosis

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2024, 03:23:39 pm »

Offline Dr_Evil

• Anny Roader
« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2024, 03:28:08 pm »
Why not?

Why can't he not see it not happening?
Holy fuck lads I got family home. My computer isn't at a hidden place in the house. They saw the penis.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 15, 2024, 03:52:05 pm »
Some say he should have done more with that squad.

Personally think most of that squad was overrated, especially the Chelsea lads and a few of the Mancs.  Maybe Gerrard, Rooney and Ferdinand were genuinely good enough to win a major trophy, but overall quarters was about right.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2024, 04:06:57 pm »
Personally think most of that squad was overrated, especially the Chelsea lads and a few of the Mancs.  Maybe Gerrard, Rooney and Ferdinand were genuinely good enough to win a major trophy, but overall quarters was about right.

Nah Brazil were there for the taking and England were way too passive.  Was a real missed opportunity.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2024, 04:12:55 pm »
Nah Brazil were there for the taking and England were way too passive.  Was a real missed opportunity.

If a certain “captain” didn’t sh*t out of a challenge I think before HT then England may have got to semi final and then anything is possible.

Instead he didn’t want to injure his foot again as he’d miss the final if they made it.

It makes me laugh though when people say England had good players then yes they did but so do other countries it’s as if the media are completely blind to that 😂😂

Offline MH41

• Kopite
« Reply #87 on: January 15, 2024, 04:25:35 pm »
I'm trying to ask this question in the correct manner.

What do we reckon the genuine feeling, about Sven managing our Legends team in this game, is amongst the Club, and those who organise it every year (Kenny etc)?

Is it putting the club in a very difficult/uncomfortable position (they aren't going to look great if they turn the idea down)?

Or, will they welcome the additional exposure, and an opportunity to raise more money for the named charities?

The Club, and Kenny, manage to get this right every season.
I'd be loathe for it to end up like Soccer Aid, which is a circus, with all the celebrity hangers on etc.
I'd like to see Sven manage us. I can always remember reading about his love for us, and it would be a lovely opportunity for him to finally get his wish....as long as the organisers wishes. They do sterling work with this game every year, and their plans must be considered.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2024, 04:30:41 pm »

What do we reckon the genuine feeling, about Sven managing our Legends team in this game, is amongst the Club, and those who organise it every year (Kenny etc)?

Is it putting the club in a very difficult/uncomfortable position (they aren't going to look great if they turn the idea down)?

Or, will they welcome the additional exposure, and an opportunity to raise more money for the named charities?

I'd be loathe for it to end up like Soccer Aid, which is a circus, with all the celebrity hangers on etc.
I'd like to see Sven manage us. I can always remember reading about his love for us, and it would be a lovely opportunity for him to finally get his wish....as long as the organisers wishes. They do sterling work with this game every year, and their plans must be considered.

I think its fine as long as its just Sven in the dugout and he is a LFC fan afterall he is one of us.

Thank christ Beckham played for Utd as dont want likes of him rocking up at Anfield.

I think the question is would Sven want to do it and will he be fit/able ?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #89 on: January 15, 2024, 04:34:02 pm »
Just make Sven "Honorary" Manager for a day.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2024, 04:34:39 pm »
Another cool angle with it too is that Sven managed England at Anfield a few times as well.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 15, 2024, 04:36:01 pm »

I think those involved in the foundation side of things, Kenny included, would be more than accommodating and I can't see this being anything other than what it is, a lifelong Liverpool fan getting to fulfil a wish before he passes.  I can't envisage this becoming the pantomime which is soccer aid.

I've recently lost someone myself to cancer, it's an absolute bastard of an illness, and my thoughts go out to Sven and his family, he seems like a genuinely decent man and at the end of the day is one of us.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2024, 05:01:29 pm »

Ashley Cole was world class at that time. Used to contain Ronaldo pretty well.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan

Online Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2024, 10:07:47 pm »
Perhaps make him part of the management team / joint manager?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2024, 10:17:12 pm »
Always liked Sven, his appointment felt modern and progressive and England did fairly well under him.
Justice for the 96!

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2024, 10:24:02 pm »

Club will be perfectly happy. It's a charity legends game, they're just a fun kickabout and a chance for fans to see old favourites. They're not really akin to Soccer Aid which, whilst obviously having a charitable focus, is also about non-footballing celebs having a kick around with footballers, and "bants". Also in fairness to Soccer Aid, most of the memorable stuff is quite fun. Lee Mack, Woody Harrelson's penalty etc. It's mostly harmless.

It IS putting the club in a tricky position if they don't want to do it, but why wouldn't they want to do it? Worst case you have Kenny and Sven managing the LFC team together, or something similar. The club don't really care who manages, plays or wins in these legends games as long as they're entertaining and raise money for charity.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2024, 10:27:37 pm »

It's not like it would be doing just Sven a favour. There is already 100x more publicity for the game in light of this. More publicity means more viewers and money for the charities, which is what it's about surely.

I do get where you're coming from like but it's actually perfect you would have thought.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2024, 10:37:07 pm »

I think the question is would Sven want to do it and will he be fit/able ?

They asked him about managing the legends game on GMTV, he said he would love too.
Sven and his son were already going to the game as Fans.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2024, 10:44:31 pm »
If his dad is healthy enough, we should fly him over too.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2024, 11:29:06 pm »
Would love to see Sven manage Liverpool Legends
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Online RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2024, 11:31:10 pm »
Would love to see Sven manage Liverpool Legends

Be a nice touch if it happens.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2024, 12:01:27 am »
Club will be perfectly happy.

Yeah, I really don't see what the issue is here. It's a charity legends game. If Sven is able to do it, get it done.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2024, 12:55:03 am »
Why not?

With an the publicity and goodwill from people associated with the club, there's very little downside to it.

Hence why I can't see it not happening - unless his health deteriorates too quickly.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2024, 09:01:11 am »
I was wondering if his health allowed him to be able to do this, but he's indicated he's willing so let's hope it happens.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2024, 09:12:11 am »
Our club has a big heart. It's only one game. There will be no bruised egos, and I don't think it will set a precedent. People shouldn't overthink something like this.

The club does stuff for sick/terminally ill people all the time. Yeah, it might be a bit of a media circus, but the media have already picked up on it, so that'll happen either way.

Unless the club want to arrange some kind of special friendly match post season, then I'm sure Kenny will be happy handing the reins over and being assistant for the day. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2024, 09:24:27 am »

I think you are over thinking this great gesture. Very unique circumstances and nothing to indicate it'll go down the Soccer Aid route.

Online Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2024, 09:39:06 am »
With Kenny being the type of man he is, I could see him pushing for it to happen too

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2024, 02:49:07 pm »
Such Awful Tragic news, very sad. Let's give Sven the Liverpool managers job for the Liverpool legends game against Ajax in March and give him the chance to be Liverpool manager, his dream. He is also a red and one of us, plus he is a good guy and has been a great manager. Best wishes, prayers, stay strong Sven. YNWA.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 02:57:40 pm by Ocean Red »

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2024, 02:53:54 pm »
In the circumstances, giving Sven the boss job for the legends game would be a class act. Lets hope the club feels the same.
Cancer has already touched my close family and looks set to do so yet again. Horrible disease.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2024, 06:23:38 pm »
Also, putting the sad personal circumstances aside ... Sven is a bonafide managerial legend of football and a Liverpool supporter, so it would be a cracking choice purely on merit for a one-off game. Would be great to see him manage some of the Liverpool players that played for England at the time, and I'd enjoy the build up to the game hearing the thoughts of Sven on his passion for Liverpool, favourite players from the past, etc.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Ab125

• Main Stander
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2024, 10:10:43 pm »
Fucking brilliant 👏

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2024, 10:15:55 pm »
Tomorrows headlines.

"Evil German makes Angelic Svens Cancer all about Him"
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2024, 10:25:55 pm »
Tomorrows headlines.

"Evil German makes Angelic Svens Cancer all about Him"
We should give Sven the Everton match. The blues won't know how to react.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2024, 02:09:53 pm »
Funny how they had little good to say about him when he managed England.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2024, 02:33:13 pm »
No way this isn't going to happen now. Class again from Klopp and you can tell that he'd enjoy having a fellow manager there to talk football, life and everything. Always liked Sven-Göran Eriksson and felt bad when he was England manager, because the job is just a poisoned chalice. He had some great players, but was never really allowed to use them in a way he would have liked I feel...