Author Topic: Arsenal: Top of the divers league  (Read 321546 times)

Offline shank94

• Currently at minus 10 and falling...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Do we have a thread? also why are they singing Allez x3
Everyone knows it's Shanks, Shank is part of my name.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Do we have a thread? also why are they singing Allez x3
Makes a change from Wenger out and leaving the ground early ?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
Timber , what a player.

Enjoyed today, especially how big we looked as a side, it was only a few months ago they were towering above us and bullying us. Stood up to them today, we got serious physical strength in the team now, think we are in for a good season.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
I see lego head considered his future after bottling the title last season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66409342?at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_origin=Match_of_the_Day&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_id=8CD30C7A-330F-11EE-BBC4-6427D99D5CC3&at_medium=social&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_campaign_type=owned&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_format=link&fbclid=IwAR1kU48UhefUGtdHiW4T3VccpWGpl53o_WNbgbQ99-yGqanu_YAg8ghbQ-Y

From that article:

The Gunners led the Premier League by five points from Manchester City before consecutive draws with Liverpool, West Ham and Southampton proved costly.

[snip]

During the title run-in, Arsenal led 2-0 at Liverpool and West Ham before being held to draws, with winger Bukayo Saka missing a penalty when his side were 2-1 up against the Hammers.

Arsenal then needed two late goals to salvage a 3-3 draw against a Southampton side who went on to be relegated, before sliding to a telling 4-1 defeat at City.

We talk about how City has made it so that a draw can be the end of a title run and we're not wrong, but when you see it laid out like that, there has to be blame on their doorstep, too. (In fairness, Arteta admits this.) Had these three draws been spread out over the season, it still would've killed their title run, but three in a row, when they still had the title in their hands puts the spotlight directly on their stumble. Win those 2 games where they were already ahead in the match, and the title probably goes to Arsenal. Every season is different, of course, but I wonder if that's as close as they'll get to winning it while City are still around. Or will the memory of those 3 games help them develop a sharper steel when the moment requires it?
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Arsenal - delusions valid

;)
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
From that article:

The Gunners led the Premier League by five points from Manchester City before consecutive draws with Liverpool, West Ham and Southampton proved costly.

[snip]

During the title run-in, Arsenal led 2-0 at Liverpool and West Ham before being held to draws, with winger Bukayo Saka missing a penalty when his side were 2-1 up against the Hammers.

Arsenal then needed two late goals to salvage a 3-3 draw against a Southampton side who went on to be relegated, before sliding to a telling 4-1 defeat at City.

We talk about how City has made it so that a draw can be the end of a title run and we're not wrong, but when you see it laid out like that, there has to be blame on their doorstep, too. (In fairness, Arteta admits this.) Had these three draws been spread out over the season, it still would've killed their title run, but three in a row, when they still had the title in their hands puts the spotlight directly on their stumble. Win those 2 games where they were already ahead in the match, and the title probably goes to Arsenal. Every season is different, of course, but I wonder if that's as close as they'll get to winning it while City are still around. Or will the memory of those 3 games help them develop a sharper steel when the moment requires it?

It's weirdly become taboo to say it, but they bottled it plain and simple. Obviously City are a cancer on the game and their cheating has meant that the demands are higher than they should be, but Arsenal well and truly fucked it from the position they were in.

Gifted those 2-0 leads vs Liverpool and West Ham as well, didn't even have to play well to go two up in both games. And then totally and utterly cowarded their way to draws, and it should've been defeat at Anfield. Was beyond anything we did in 2014 (effectively one undeserved defeat against a top side and one undeserved draw against a poorer side) and god knows we never heard the end of it with the "bottling" talk.

I don't know how it'll affect them. They've continued to spend absolutely ridiculous amounts, so they should be in a position to challenge again - anything less than that would be an abject failure  given the huge outlay.

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Timber , what a player.

Enjoyed today, especially how big we looked as a side, it was only a few months ago they were towering above us and bullying us. Stood up to them today, we got serious physical strength in the team now, think we are in for a good season.
Weird. You looked rubbish and were lucky to win against a half-arsed City side. Rice doesn't look like an 8, and Havertz is predictably terrible.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Weird. You looked rubbish and were lucky to win against a half-arsed City side. Rice doesn't look like an 8, and Havertz is predictably terrible.

We always get lucky and come up against teams that dont try. Its how we win.

haaland did nothing and Rodri couldnt dominate the midfield, if thats because they didnt want to then its not our problem. Thought we were better than them for about an hour, looked solid quick and slick at times. Havertz hold up play and Rice’s energy. Welcome additions to meek surrenders against these lot from previous seasons.

Timber on another level, only matched by Saliba… if he stays fit….

We look ready, lots of depth, lots of options. The likes of Jesus and Zinchenko still to come back.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2023, 06:26:43 am by The North Bank »

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
We always get lucky and come up against teams that dont try. Its how we win.

haaland did nothing and Rodri couldnt dominate the midfield, if thats because they didnt want to then its not our problem. Thought we were better than them for about an hour, looked solid quick and slick at times. Havertz hold up play and Rice’s energy. Welcome additions to meek surrenders against these lot from previous seasons.

Timber on another level, only matched by Saliba… if he stays fit….

We look ready, lots of depth, lots of options. The likes of Jesus and Zinchenko still to come back.

I don’t agree, don’t undersell your team, was a nice competitive game and a good result for Arsenal …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
I don’t agree, don’t undersell your team, was a nice competitive game and a good result for Arsenal …

It’s always nice to lift silverware, especially with that prick pep standing there looking on.

But even had we lost, I saw enough to be very excited about the season.

To challenge for the title consistently, you need a solid defensive unit, and with Rice and Partey ahead of Saliba Gabriel White and Timber. I think weve got what we didnt have last season. Going forward things will click better with time. Just wanted to see how we dealt with citys million passes and movement, and we looked very solid.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
It’s always nice to lift silverware, especially with that prick pep standing there looking on.

But even had we lost, I saw enough to be very excited about the season.

To challenge for the title consistently, you need a solid defensive unit, and with Rice and Partey ahead of Saliba Gabriel White and Timber. I think weve got what we didnt have last season. Going forward things will click better with time. Just wanted to see how we dealt with citys million passes and movement, and we looked very solid.
Thought you played well, but I do still think City are levels above everyone else, unfortunately. Always feels like they've got that extra gear if they need it.

Think you've made some strong additions. Rice is an interesting one - the system he's moving into is the complete opposite of how he's played for the last 7/8 years, so it's going to take a period of adaption. Unfortunately for you, you're not City and can't leave £105M on the bench.

Did think it was a little odd that Ramsdale said it's a mental block gone now you've beat them... you drew.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Thought you played well, but I do still think City are levels above everyone else, unfortunately. Always feels like they've got that extra gear if they need it.

Think you've made some strong additions. Rice is an interesting one - the system he's moving into is the complete opposite of how he's played for the last 7/8 years, so it's going to take a period of adaption. Unfortunately for you, you're not City and can't leave £105M on the bench.

Did think it was a little odd that Ramsdale said it's a mental block gone now you've beat them... you drew.

I disagree that we drew, you beat Milan in the 2005 CL final, that wasnt a draw. If we drew the shield wouldve been shared (It was in 1991 when there was no penalties and we shared it with Spurs after we drew). Penalties do decide who wins.
 If our players gain confidence and positivity out of it then great, they're young players and any extra belief helps.

I do agree that City are levels above everyone else, this wasnt a "big" game for them, probably the only thing that pissed them off is the way they lost it , last min equaliser then pens, which is lovely.
For about 15 mins at the start when they were passing the ball, we hardly got a touch, theyve created a ridiculously brilliant cheating machine, I dont think we can replicate it, but Liverpool didnt replicate it and got the better of them on many occassions, so it can be done.
Need to be near perfect though which is a big big ask, still happy with our transfer dealings and where we are now as a team.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
Ehhhm... we won this fixture last year, didn't we? A good omen, indeed...
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Ehhhm... we won this fixture last year, didn't we? A good omen, indeed...

Would you have had a better season had you lost.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
I disagree that we drew, you beat Milan in the 2005 CL final, that wasnt a draw. If we drew the shield wouldve been shared (It was in 1991 when there was no penalties and we shared it with Spurs after we drew). Penalties do decide who wins.
 If our players gain confidence and positivity out of it then great, they're young players and any extra belief helps.

I do agree that City are levels above everyone else, this wasnt a "big" game for them, probably the only thing that pissed them off is the way they lost it , last min equaliser then pens, which is lovely.
For about 15 mins at the start when they were passing the ball, we hardly got a touch, theyve created a ridiculously brilliant cheating machine, I dont think we can replicate it, but Liverpool didnt replicate it and got the better of them on many occassions, so it can be done.
Need to be near perfect though which is a big big ask, still happy with our transfer dealings and where we are now as a team.
True enough. But you didn't beat them in 90. I'm not denying you won the Charity Shield, just that you still haven't beaten them in 90.

Thread's gone now we're on the new one, but I was one of the few who liked your business - think you've massively improved the team. I do still think you've got some way to go to get to the level we were at a few years back. Plus City are still cheating their way forward.

Pep's beard makes him look like a skunk.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
True enough. But you didn't beat them in 90. I'm not denying you won the Charity Shield, just that you still haven't beaten them in 90.

Thread's gone now we're on the new one, but I was one of the few who liked your business - think you've massively improved the team. I do still think you've got some way to go to get to the level we were at a few years back. Plus City are still cheating their way forward.

Pep's beard makes him look like a skunk.

Wed have probably won the league of we managed 2 draws against them last season so even a draw is a massive improvement.
I agree with the rest.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Wed have probably won the league of we managed 2 draws against them last season so even a draw is a massive improvement.
I agree with the rest.
Especially the skunk part?

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
Would you have had a better season had you lost.
Definitely not, but just to point out that there's nothing much to read from this game. It's still a pre-season game and the season is long.
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Definitely not, but just to point out that there's nothing much to read from this game. It's still a pre-season game and the season is long.

Absolutely.

Id still be very positive had we lost, the result didnt matter but its nice to pick up silverware and to wind the cheats up.

If they won yesterday therell headlines of sextuples and shit, so at least that shut those up.

My positivity is more to do with our signings and strength in depth than yesterday’s result, though when it got to pens i was desperate to win.

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
I thought we were a bit more streetwise yesterday than the games against City last season.

We seemed to go into them a bit naive, still trying to high press them, to impose our football onto them, but truth be told they are a better team, so will just out play us like we saw.

Yesterday was more about staying compact, staying organised, not getting dragged out of position, and when you get the ball try and play football then, but no need to force it.

It worked in the main, the 1 time we got caught was when Partey was too keen to win the ball back up the park & Foden done him with a nice turn, then you see the panic stations and they score.

Our goal was nothing but outright luck, no denying that. Penalties is interesting though as Arteta insisted on penalty shoot outs after the Utd & Monaco games pre season, so i think that stood us in good stead and was clever i thought, might need it some more in cup competitions later on.   

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I think they'll miss out on the top 4 this season.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
I think they'll miss out on the top 4 this season.

And if we dont, itll be down to luck and other teams being in transition, so you're not wrong.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
I think it'll be Arsenal that push City again.

Thing is they won't be able to produce the pretty flawless record they had from August till about March last season where they barely dropped a point. They'll also go for it more in Europe and will be more likely to have domestic cup runs. City slack off and they'll be ready to pounce though.

They haven’t rested on their laurels they've spent a lot of money to improve their spine. They look like the team who are likely to be the next winners after City, whether or not it'll be this season. I just wish we showed the same ambition.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
I think it'll be Arsenal that push City again.

Thing is they won't be able to produce the pretty flawless record they had from August till about March last season where they barely dropped a point. They'll also go for it more in Europe and will be more likely to have domestic cup runs. City slack off and they'll be ready to pounce though.

They haven’t rested on their laurels they've spent a lot of money to improve their spine. They look like the team who are likely to be the next winners after City, whether or not it'll be this season. I just wish we showed the same ambition.

We should be the team that pushes city the most, given the money spent on the back of a season where we led the table for so long. You never know how it pans out though, but I cant see us not making top 4, which in itself shows how much weve come along even in the last year.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Anybody seen that clip where ian Wright meets his school teacher for teh first time in years??? Very touching
{in a non Jimmy saville way} look it up, Wright meets Mr Pigen
JFT 96

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
Anybody seen that clip where ian Wright meets his school teacher for teh first time in years??? Very touching
{in a non Jimmy saville way} look it up, Wright meets Mr Pigen

Yeh seen it, very good, hes a top man wrighty.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
Yeh seen it, very good, hes a top man wrighty.
Cant argue with that.. he calls it like it is, shows little , if any favourism and always has a decent story or 2 to tell..
JFT 96

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We should be the team that pushes city the most, given the money spent on the back of a season where we led the table for so long.
ITV led yesterday's show with Arteta spending most in the league since he's been in charge. Still surprises me that.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
ITV led yesterday's show with Arteta spending most in the league since he's been in charge. Still surprises me that.

It used to be the club that has spent the most in the last year . Then chelsea and man utd surpassed that so it became the most since hes been in charge , because Chelsea regularly sack managers who all spent the most when they were in charge. Ten haag has been there only a year (400m so the most since hes been in charge) and Pep has been there longer so his billion doesnt count(but he too has spent the most since hes been in charge). Its a play on words that they only apply to Arsenal. It used to be weird but not anymore.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2023, 05:49:04 pm by The North Bank »

Offline DHRED

• Main Stander
I do still think Arsenal flatter to deceive, City win the league at a canter next season IMO. No one’s close to them.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It used to be the club that has spent the most in the last year . Then chelsea and man utd surpassed that so it became the most since hes been in charge , because Chelsea regularly sack managers who all spent the most when they were in charge. Ten haag has been there only a year (400m so the most since hes been in charge) and Pep has been there longer so his billion doesnt count(but he too has spent the most since hes been in charge). Its a play on words that they only apply to Arsenal. It used to be weird but not anymore.
There has to be a point where his spending has to result in winning something major no?

Odd that Rice was substituted when chasing a goal on Sunday as well?

Online ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
There has to be a point where his spending has to result in winning something major no?

Am i missing something...why was that odd?

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
Am i missing something...why was that odd?

His squad number is 41. More of a 'prime' number, actually... well, both prime and odd.

:)
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan

Thats what everyone is trying to do, win the big trophies. Other clubs spend more and success isnt guaranteed when you spend money, but thats the aim, even Sunday's token silverware was lovely to win, nevermind the big stuff.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!

Thats what everyone is trying to do, win the big trophies. Other clubs spend more and success isnt guaranteed when you spend money, but thats the aim, even Sunday's token silverware was lovely to win, nevermind the big stuff.

I think that your best chance for a trophy is the CL, if all the new signings click. It's a hard ask, but it's the most attainable goal.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan

It’s always good to beat those cheating pricks mate.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
I think that your best chance for a trophy is the CL, if all the new signings click. It's a hard ask, but it's the most attainable goal.

Cl final at Wembley, could be a repeat of Sunday.

Arteta has been to wembley 12 times with Arsenal as player and manager, and won all 12. All we have to do is get to CL final and the win is guaranteed!