Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 215166 times)

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #2200 on: June 19, 2023, 10:33:18 pm »
Is it?

In the last 10 years the job has been taken by such managerial titans like Neil Lennon, Ronny Delia, Ange Postecoglou, and Brendan Rodgers.

So big that only football giants like Leicester and Spurs can pry the managers away

It is a top job though... in a mediocre league.

They are bigger than most of the Premier League clubs, that is a fact (unless we want to fall for the commodified Premier League narrative). It's a job with potential though and you could make a decent fist of it in Europe with the correct footballing structure.

There needs to be a clear pipeline from youth to senior side, and only Rodgers has properly given young lads a chance at Celtic (Ange, although making encouraging statements, didn't risk playing youngsters as much as Rodgers as he sought to beat Rodgers record).  For a start, this is a good managerial signing for the kids.

Secondly, Scottish football needs to get out of the parochial backwaters and start embracing more modern methods. This is the same club that rejected our very own Robbo remember, so the caveman mentality of players not being good enough because they are too small or lacked physicality (as was the case with Robbo) is indicative of a backwards footballing culture. There was player revolt when Ronny Deila, bless him as he had the right ideas, tried to drag the club into the 21st century by banning ketchup and putting players on a modern diet. Now considering Wenger was doing this at Arsenal twenty years previously, the fact Scotland's top club was still filing players with a mediocre diet is shocking to say the least.

Rodgers, if he stays there long term and have a legacy, has to change the overall culture of the club into one that produces talent and extols professionalism across the board.

It's got potential, but its not a surprise when managers of Brendan's ilk get bored and want to move - things that are common sense in England are yet to be in Scotland. It's up to the club how they meet Rodgers ambitions.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2201 on: June 19, 2023, 11:53:36 pm »
If he does well, which he will, PL clubs will come calling again, with more money. I doubt Celtic fans will forgive him if he dumps them twice (those who forgave him once that is)
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2202 on: June 19, 2023, 11:59:07 pm »
He needs to get a new agent…back to Celtic..good grief.
Take a walk around Ireland, North and South, and you'll see how huge a club Celtic are, so it's a massive job, it's churlish to suggest otherwise.

Offline Barrowred

• Kopite
« Reply #2203 on: June 20, 2023, 05:58:57 am »
He'll do a couple of seasons there, win everything then be off to the first Premier league club that flash their knickers at him.
His ego won't allow him to stay in Scotland.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2204 on: June 20, 2023, 07:43:12 am »
I'm surprised he hasn't taken up a role somewhere in La Liga. FFS, Valencia gave Phil Neville a gig with zero experience.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #2205 on: June 20, 2023, 07:45:01 am »
Leeds would've been the perfect "project" & will have the finances to challenge for UEFA once they get back up.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm very surprised that Leeds aren't considering Rafa for the job, and instead looking at candidates such as Scott Parker. It kinda suggests that they are a basketcase behind the scenes. They are in a similar condition to how Newcastle were in 2016-17, and they need someone to implement a scouting and coaching structure.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2206 on: June 20, 2023, 08:33:02 am »
This is a bit of a tangent, but I'm very surprised that Leeds aren't considering Rafa for the job, and instead looking at candidates such as Scott Parker. It kinda suggests that they are a basketcase behind the scenes. They are in a similar condition to how Newcastle were in 2016-17, and they need someone to implement a scouting and coaching structure.

Rafa's stock is in the mud right now. Will need to wash off the stench of Everton before he gets a job like Leeds

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2207 on: June 20, 2023, 05:27:46 pm »
Rafa's stock is in the mud right now. Will need to wash off the stench of Everton before he gets a job like Leeds

Rafa’s back in La Liga. Galicia a far nicer place than Leeds I’m sure  :P

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2208 on: June 20, 2023, 06:19:48 pm »
I come from Northern Ireland and live in the Republic so I am well aware of the large following for Celtic.
However having a large fanbase doesn't make them a big club.

Anyway that's not the point. We are talking about Brendan Rodgers and the point is that a club like Celtic do not have the competition or players to challenge Rodger's ability. Celtic winning a match in the Scottish league is like tossing a double headed coin and getting a head. It's a major upset when Celtic lose a game no matter who the manager is.

The move smacks of a lack of ambition and it's a nice safe job where wins are pretty easy to come by.
#JFT97

Offline Bennett

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2209 on: June 20, 2023, 06:50:54 pm »
I come from Northern Ireland and live in the Republic so I am well aware of the large following for Celtic.
However having a large fanbase doesn't make them a big club.

Anyway that's not the point. We are talking about Brendan Rodgers and the point is that a club like Celtic do not have the competition or players to challenge Rodger's ability. Celtic winning a match in the Scottish league is like tossing a double headed coin and getting a head. It's a major upset when Celtic lose a game no matter who the manager is.

The move smacks of a lack of ambition and it's a nice safe job where wins are pretty easy to come by.

What is Rodgers' ability though? What job does a manager deserve after contributing towards Leicester getting relegated?

I'll always be fair to Rodgers and say that, when he came to Liverpool, there was a distinct improvement in how we played football. It was night and day in a very short period of time. He was close to being a legend of the club but ultimately we conceded over 50 goals in 13/14. As good as whatever we were doing going forward was, that's absolutely crap coaching from a defensive perspective.

I think his ultimate downfall for us is as much down to the catastrophic recruitment policy of the time, but it is what it is. I think what he's done with Leicester has killed any chances he had of a big move anytime soon either way.

I'm also not sure what I think of him in general human terms. Doesn't come across as particularly sincere to me. Everything he does strikes me as being a bit phoney. He likes to portray himself in a certain light and I'm not surprised players don't fight for him when they're in the trenches.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2210 on: June 20, 2023, 06:56:13 pm »
Rodgers like a lot of managers’ just seems to have a short(ish) shelf life.  Maybe players just tune him out after a bit? And that coupled with some dodgy signings, and things go astray. That’s what makes him returning to Celtic interesting/odd. 

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #2211 on: June 20, 2023, 10:22:47 pm »
Take a walk around Ireland, North and South, and you'll see how huge a club Celtic are, so it's a massive job, it's churlish to suggest otherwise.

Big club in a shite league which means they will probably never have the financial clout to compete in anything but the same shite league.  Boring job Brendan.
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #2212 on: June 20, 2023, 10:58:28 pm »
But he’s way better than Leeds also. 3 back to back seasons challenging for top 4 and a cup winner then has one bad season where they were brassic lint and it’s Championship gigs or Scotland? It’s insanity in my opinion. He should be at a Brighton level club.

If he had quit Leicester last summer, he'd probably have got the Spurs job this summer. Moyes winning the Conference League ended any chance of getting the West Ham job for a few months. Says a lot that he wasn't keen on waiting for an inevitable early season sacking to jump back into the PL

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2213 on: June 21, 2023, 12:26:14 am »
Big club in a shite league which means they will probably never have the financial clout to compete in anything but the same shite league.  Boring job Brendan.

One look at the player's salaries tells you a lot.

£25K per week is their reported top salary per week. Average is about £12K. Compare that to Leeds who pay £100K per week for their highest paid. 19 of their players are on £25K or more and the average looks like £39K. So the wage bill for Leeds is about 3 times per player on average. Hopefully my source is correct.

Unless you think that the Celtic players are there for the fun and are prepared to accept lower wages than they could get elsewhere (maybe they are much, much younger but I doubt that). Celtic might be able to pay higher wages in a much more competitive league but they currently don't need to and not many players would chose them above Leeds (well maybe now Leeds are in the Championship might make a difference but change Leeds to any of the other lower placed teams in the EPL).

More realistically the wages at Celtic are probably in line with those coming up from the Championship so that's not too bad if you look at it that way. However most will now be able to strengthen their squads and pay higher wages and attract better players.

So Rodgers has gone to a club that probably wouldn't be anywhere close to the EPL based on salaries so it's a big step down.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:42:12 am by stockdam »
#JFT97

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #2214 on: March 2, 2024, 09:35:10 pm »
Good Girl .. lizard lips🤮

Offline TheCunningScorpion

• Main Stander
« Reply #2215 on: March 2, 2024, 10:18:47 pm »

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2217 on: March 2, 2024, 10:26:17 pm »
??

A reference to Rodgers interview last week where he got all wound up and pissed off, and called the reporter a ‘good girl’

https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2024/feb/27/brendan-rodgers-calls-bbc-reporter-good-girl-during-interview-video

Online stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #2218 on: March 2, 2024, 11:39:53 pm »
What's the "story" he's so salty about?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2219 on: March 2, 2024, 11:53:29 pm »
The good girl comment was something out of nothing. He’s a cultchie from Northern Ireland. Even my mam uses the term ‘good girl’ (positively and negatively) when referring to other women.

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2220 on: March 3, 2024, 03:31:17 am »
The good girl comment was something out of nothing. He’s a cultchie from Northern Ireland. Even my mam uses the term ‘good girl’ (positively and negatively) when referring to other women.

your ‘mam’ is likely a girl herself though, so not really the best comparison  ;D

It was just a bit daft from Rodgers, he got mad at a question, and decided to a bit of a patronising weirdo, but then he’s a cringey bloke at the best of times. I’m sure he regretted it like.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2221 on: March 3, 2024, 03:49:31 am »

Na he was pissed off, you could see it on his face and the funny thing is that the Lady wasn't being remotely snidey.
He was at best unprofessional and made himself look a twat.

There's something about the guy that I dislike, so that could just be me seeing things that weren't there, I don't think so though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2222 on: March 3, 2024, 06:42:58 am »
Na he was pissed off, you could see it on his face and the funny thing is that the Lady wasn't being remotely snidey.
He was at best unprofessional and made himself look a twat.

There's something about the guy that I dislike, so that could just be me seeing things that weren't there, I don't think so though.

From a females perspective, he's creepy but not in a spooky, ghosty type way.

Online capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #2223 on: March 3, 2024, 07:40:36 am »
he regularly called our players "good boy" in his time here, but now he mentions "good girl" he;s turned all mysogynistic?? fuckn snowflakes crying over nothing in my opinion
JFT 96

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2224 on: March 3, 2024, 09:46:11 am »
your ‘mam’ is likely a girl herself though, so not really the best comparison  ;D

It was just a bit daft from Rodgers, he got mad at a question, and decided to a bit of a patronising weirdo, but then he’s a cringey bloke at the best of times. I’m sure he regretted it like.

Honestly, everyone here uses it, men and women. Good followed by man, boy, women or girl. Generally you’d use girl instead of woman when the person is younger - especially younger than you. My wife actually said ‘good woman’ would be more offensive to her as, colloquially, the speaker is inferring you’re old or older than him.

It gets used positively and negatively but never in a sexist belittling way. Eg. “You’re some girl” or “you’re some boy” directed at an adult can be an exclamation of appreciation or a sarky put down, but the receiver would never think it sexist or belittling in the sense that is being claimed here.

I absolutely think this is the case of a colloquial difference in language and most people from NI (without an agenda) would say the same. Rodgers was being tetchy for sure, but not sexist.

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #2225 on: March 3, 2024, 10:36:40 am »
he regularly called our players "good boy" in his time here, but now he mentions "good girl" he;s turned all mysogynistic?? fuckn snowflakes crying over nothing in my opinion

This.

Let's also not forget Brendan is just a bit of a weirdo too.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2226 on: March 3, 2024, 10:54:08 am »
What I really find distasteful is the 'misogyny' calls. Yes, he was annoyed with the questioning. Yes, she is female. Yes, he is male. Yes, he had a little dig at her, but that in no way equates to misogyny. Males and females can get annoyed with each other. They can often have a little dig at each other too. This does not automatically mean the male is a hater of women and girls and it does not automatically mean that the female is a misandrist (hater of men and boys).

Rodgers basically pulled rank there. If the person involved was male he'd probably have called him boy. Patronising? Of course. Mysogyny? Don't be ridiculous.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2227 on: March 3, 2024, 11:15:34 am »
The journalist wasn't offended.

Anyone taking offence on her behalf is a c*nt.

He said nothing wrong.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2228 on: March 3, 2024, 11:16:39 am »

He said nothing wrong.

So who is making the fuss then? The normal people on twitter?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2229 on: March 3, 2024, 11:35:43 am »
So who is making the fuss then? The normal people on twitter?

Media. Several women’s groups.

Rodgers apparently has a good relationship with the journo and she said: "I don't believe there was any offence meant by Brendan Rodgers - and for my part, there was none taken."

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2230 on: March 3, 2024, 12:18:40 pm »

He said nothing wrong.

Brendan said last week he'd spoken to her and she wasn't bothered at all by it.

People are too quick to get offended on behalf of other people
Jurgen YNWA

Offline DarkOfTheManatee

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2231 on: March 3, 2024, 01:04:24 pm »
Celtic 1-0 down at Hearts, and down to 10 men - looks like they might fail to capitalise on Rangers' slip up yesterday.

Was always a bit of a risky move for Rodgers to go back there - it would've been difficult to exceed his achievements from his first tenure (other than trying to perform better in Europe) in normal circumstances, let alone following Postecoglou achieving the same but with more exciting attacking football.

If Rangers beat them to the title, having been seven points behind them at one stage, wonder if Rodgers might be under threat, or if it'd be too expensive for Celtic to sack him?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2232 on: March 3, 2024, 01:10:30 pm »

Rodgers apparently has a good relationship with the journo and she said: "I don't believe there was any offence meant by Brendan Rodgers - and for my part, there was none taken."

Was one of the Scottish women's groups and to be fair to the BBC, that's just how they reported it, didn't even bother with the video for over a week. I suspect that was only down to pressure as they just put it up without comment and out of everyone, they would've asked Mrs Lewis straight away

Will he get the sack if they lose today ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2233 on: March 3, 2024, 01:18:56 pm »

That's what I thought with regard the journalist. But I think people need to be careful on how women are treated especially in a male dominated work place. In this case it was fine, but Mysogyny does exist in some of these places and when it does it needs to be called out by people, though not in this case. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2234 on: March 3, 2024, 01:21:59 pm »
That's what I thought with regard the journalist. But I think people need to be careful on how women are treated especially in a male dominated work place. In this case it was fine, but Mysogyny does exist in some of these places and when it does it needs to be called out by people, though not in this case. 

Totally agree.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #2235 on: March 3, 2024, 02:30:29 pm »
Good bhoys eh Brendan?

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2236 on: March 3, 2024, 05:02:26 pm »
Not going to last there is he? Where next? European second-tier league if he's lucky. Or Saudi.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2237 on: March 3, 2024, 09:11:48 pm »
Not going to last there is he? Where next? European second-tier league if he's lucky. Or Saudi.
I hear Cammell Laird reserves are looking for a new manager.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2238 on: March 3, 2024, 09:13:53 pm »
He would be a great appointment for ireland but way out of reach

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2239 on: March 3, 2024, 09:15:13 pm »
Everton going to need a new manager soon
Jurgen YNWA