Author Topic: Brendan Rodgers  (Read 215208 times)

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
Re: Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #2040 on: April 4, 2023, 08:06:39 am »
He was a better manager than Hodgson.  That's the highest praise he should be given.

That's a bit of a miserable way to look at it, is it not? I mean, you'd have to be quite a joyless c*nt to look back on 13/14 and not give Rodgers a huge amount of credit for it. Of course it was a pisser we wound up falling short in the end, but the emotional ride he brought us on was unlike anything any manager had given us in almost quarter of a century. 02 and 09 under Ged and Rafa were great, but there was never really any point in either of those seasons where the possibility of actually winning it was palpable.

Rodgers gave us that taste. He truly made us dream. Which for someone like me, who was born in the early 80's, was the first time in my adult life where I experienced what it was like to see LFC but in a serious title challenge. Its also worth pointing out that as great as it was to have Kenny back in 2011, and as nostalgic as it was to win the League cup under him, we were an absolute shambles under him in the league. Club legend as he may be, we were in desperate need of reinvigoration by the time his 2nd full season ended. Anyone who says otherwise is just inventing their own version of reality

I'm not saying Rodgers is a world beater, or deserves impunity from his own mistakes as manager, but you can fuck right off with your Hodgson comparison. Genuinely do one     
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2041 on: April 4, 2023, 09:19:03 am »
He has great character. Good luck to him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2042 on: April 4, 2023, 09:22:01 am »
He also didn't actually leave a bad basis of a squad for where we are now. Coutinho, Sturridge, Lallana, Can, Lovren, Origi, Gomez, Firmino, Milner and Adam Bogdan all bought in his time here (plus obviously Henderson being made captain). It clearly wasn't anywhere near title challenging, but it certainly wasn't the train wreck some managers leave.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: April 4, 2023, 10:42:04 am »
He also didn't actually leave a bad basis of a squad for where we are now. Coutinho, Sturridge, Lallana, Can, Lovren, Origi, Gomez, Firmino, Milner and Adam Bogdan all bought in his time here (plus obviously Henderson being made captain). It clearly wasn't anywhere near title challenging, but it certainly wasn't the train wreck some managers leave.

I'm certain a lot of the negative opinions are because of Gerrard's last 2 games. Getting chinned by Palace at home then smacked around for 90 minutes by Stoke did him no favours whatsoever  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2044 on: April 4, 2023, 10:46:34 am »
Yeah no doubt. He should have gone that summer really, I mean great that he didn't because butterfly effects we might not have got Jurgen.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #2045 on: April 4, 2023, 10:52:30 am »
I see him as a professional, looks after himself and therefore must expect his employers to look after theirselves as well. Not the sort of man that builds up a relationship with the fans or club but nevertheless does a professional job when employed. Our club has been built on a relationship between the fans and the team/manager since Shankly which is why Jurgen, Kenny, Rafa, Gerard, Bob, Joe, Roy will always be highly thought of and more than just 'employees'. Brendan just seems like an employee who did a initially very good but overall decent job and then moved on (with compensation).
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2046 on: April 4, 2023, 10:56:41 am »
He produced one of the most exciting teams I've ever seen at Anfield, and one of the most exciting seasons. He changed Stevie's game and wrung another great season out of our skipper. He left some excellent players for Jurgen to work with. No one in their right mind would change him for Klopp, but there's no question he's one of the Premier League's best coaches.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2047 on: April 4, 2023, 11:09:08 am »
Stayed way too long at Leicester. Anybody with back to back top 5 finishes and an FA Cup with Leicester has done an exceptional job really, but his reputation is in the gutter comparatively after this season. Clearly has a shelf life where he runs out of ideas and doesn’t appear able to stop ruts very well but for a few seasons he’s alright.

As a person I don’t rate him highly but in football you’re employed for results, not how loveable you are.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2048 on: April 4, 2023, 01:41:04 pm »
Always been a bit puzzled at the amount of our fans who hate him to be honest. I'll always have a soft spot for him for the 13/14 season, which was just incredibly entertaining football. I think he came into the club at a strange time, the early FSG days when we were all still battle-scarred from the Hicks & Gillett days, and of course Being Liverpool didn't do him any favours at all.

He's definitely a short-term manager for a club at  a certain level - the tier below the CL contenders. He's absolutely shit in Europe (the tie against Real Madrid was when I completely lost faith in him) so it would be really fun if Chelsea went for him (they won't though).

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2049 on: April 4, 2023, 03:20:35 pm »
Always been a bit puzzled at the amount of our fans who hate him to be honest. I'll always have a soft spot for him for the 13/14 season, which was just incredibly entertaining football. I think he came into the club at a strange time, the early FSG days when we were all still battle-scarred from the Hicks & Gillett days, and of course Being Liverpool didn't do him any favours at all.

He's definitely a short-term manager for a club at  a certain level - the tier below the CL contenders. He's absolutely shit in Europe (the tie against Real Madrid was when I completely lost faith in him) so it would be really fun if Chelsea went for him (they won't though).

see this is the thing, as is so often the case with football, no middle ground is considered. Same with the daft ‘top reds’ bullshit we see - this implications you either absolutely love FSG or hate them - nothing in the middle.

And this is what that comment is like to me, it’s far too black and white. Maybe some do ‘hate’ him - but that’ll be a tiny minority.   I am very much middle ground  - don’t much like him, certainly don’t hate him, but never did ‘take’ to him. Liverpool fans have always had a strong bond it seems with managers, far more than most clubs. Something that extends for them as people off the pitch as well as what they do at the club. It is how it is - maybe very much a Liverpool thing, and even though it isn’t the be all and end all, it’s still something that feels quite important.  For me that is how I felt about Rafa, Ged before him, and of course with Jürgen now. And yes, go further back and of course it extends to Kenny, I was a too young to get it with Paisley and Fagan, but I’m sure it was there too (and of course Shanks - before my time though).

So that’s what it comes down to with me, and maybe others, just never that bond, never that feeling his personality or character (ha!) was aligned with the club. Yes, a really entertaining few months that one season with heartbreak and a mad collapse at the end, but really not much else.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2050 on: April 4, 2023, 03:59:44 pm »
see this is the thing, as is so often the case with football, no middle ground is considered. Same with the daft ‘top reds’ bullshit we see - this implications you either absolutely love FSG or hate them - nothing in the middle.

And this is what that comment is like to me, it’s far too black and white. Maybe some do ‘hate’ him - but that’ll be a tiny minority.   I am very much middle ground  - don’t much like him, certainly don’t hate him, but never did ‘take’ to him. Liverpool fans have always had a strong bond it seems with managers, far more than most clubs. Something that extends for them as people off the pitch as well as what they do at the club. It is how it is - maybe very much a Liverpool thing, and even though it isn’t the be all and end all, it’s still something that feels quite important.  For me that is how I felt about Rafa, Ged before him, and of course with Jürgen now. And yes, go further back and of course it extends to Kenny, I was a too young to get it with Paisley and Fagan, but I’m sure it was there too (and of course Shanks - before my time though).

So that’s what it comes down to with me, and maybe others, just never that bond, never that feeling his personality or character (ha!) was aligned with the club. Yes, a really entertaining few months that one season with heartbreak and a mad collapse at the end, but really not much else.

That ain't the middle ground bud, that's definitely more towards the section of our fans that hate him. Middle ground would be not caring either way, you actively dislike him and never took to him so you're a long way from the middle ground.

Your point stands though, whilst some do absolutely hate him, it'll be a minority. Then there'll be a section like you who don't like him for whatever reason. Then those who don't give a shit, those who didn't mind him, those who liked him, those who love him. He does tend to get some crazy shit thrown at him though and the view that it was just Suarez that made that team what it was has and always will be absolutely bollocks

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: April 4, 2023, 04:06:42 pm »
A little unlucky that in the last 50 years we've had:

Shankly
Paisley
Fagan
Kenny
Souness
Evans
Ged
Rafa
Owl
Klopp

And himself

At most clubs, doing a fairly decent job and having one tremendous season where we nearly won the league would have had him looked upon favourably. Would have made him a legend somewhere like Spurs or Arsenal, but it makes him pretty much only above Hodgson for us.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: April 4, 2023, 04:09:07 pm »
I think he'd win a league at one of the big clubs with a good DOF above him. He's a flat track bully, which is a skill in its own right in football management. We battered teams under him, and he did the same at Celtic. If he has the best team in the league he'll get them playing expansive, entertaining football and will rack up a massive goal difference to boot.

His problems with us were more on squad building and you have to caveat that with the fact that we will always have certain issues under our owners. However, he did have money to spend and he mostly spent it pretty badly. The Balotelli one stands out as a particularly bad move and actually probably plays into some people's perception of him loving himself a bit- perhaps he felt he could be the one to finally calm him down and get him hitting his potential.

I loved Rodgers while he was here and I retain a soft spot for him. 13/14 was an unbelievable journey especially for those of us who weren't even born when we last won a league. Klopp is obviously a big step up from him but as I said it wouldn't surprise me to see him win a league in his career if one of the top five or six give him a chance.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2053 on: April 4, 2023, 04:12:45 pm »
C'mon, he's definitely above Souness as a manager. I'd put him on a similar level to Evans: played some great attacking football, provided some wonderful memories but ultimately didn't have what it takes to maintain a similar level as the elite teams. I actually think those were the two teams that were most fun to watch in my lifetime, even if the depth and defensive discipline wasn't quite there.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2054 on: April 4, 2023, 04:13:13 pm »
I think he'd win a league at one of the big clubs with a good DOF above him. He's a flat track bully, which is a skill in its own right in football management. We battered teams under him, and he did the same at Celtic. If he has the best team in the league he'll get them playing expansive, entertaining football and will rack up a massive goal difference to boot.

His problems with us were more on squad building and you have to caveat that with the fact that we will always have certain issues under our owners. However, he did have money to spend and he mostly spent it pretty badly. The Balotelli one stands out as a particularly bad move and actually probably plays into some people's perception of him loving himself a bit- perhaps he felt he could be the one to finally calm him down and get him hitting his potential.

I loved Rodgers while he was here and I retain a soft spot for him. 13/14 was an unbelievable journey especially for those of us who weren't even born when we last won a league. Klopp is obviously a big step up from him but as I said it wouldn't surprise me to see him win a league in his career if one of the top five or six give him a chance.

He'll need a fucking genius of an agent. He ultimately failed here. Went to Celtic and did well but you know...its Scotland. Then came back to Leicester to rebuild his reputation again a little more and again has ultimately failed. I've seen people linking him to the Chelsea job. Mental. Absolutely no chance someone who has overseen Leicester go from top 4 challengers to relegation scrappers is going to get sacked and then get a better job.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2055 on: April 4, 2023, 04:26:07 pm »
That ain't the middle ground bud, that's definitely more towards the section of our fans that hate him. Middle ground would be not caring either way, you actively dislike him and never took to him so you're a long way from the middle ground.

Your point stands though, whilst some do absolutely hate him, it'll be a minority. Then there'll be a section like you who don't like him for whatever reason. Then those who don't give a shit, those who didn't mind him, those who liked him, those who love him. He does tend to get some crazy shit thrown at him though and the view that it was just Suarez that made that team what it was has and always will be absolutely bollocks

Behave.

Not taking to someone and not much liking them isn’t anything like hating.  Hate is reserved for the scummy characters in football like Guardiola.  Not someone like Rodgers.  IF he hadn’t been manager here I’d be ambivalent, but having listend to some of the cringeworthy rubbish he spouted too often, that ambivalence turned to ‘not much liking’, amongst another couple things I didnt ‘much like’ about his character either, but I’ll keep that to myself here, if that’s ok with you like  ;D
« Last Edit: April 4, 2023, 04:28:22 pm by Dim Glas »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #2056 on: April 4, 2023, 04:31:30 pm »

Maybe if all the stars aligned like they have for Arteta this season, but I don't think he's got that drive and determination to win and win at all costs that he has, he wouldn't be able to see it through. The Liverpool job clearly came too soon for him but he's lost his way a bit. He won every week at Celtic but so is Postecoglu (and Rangers were nowhere at the time). They've won 28 out of 30 games and Rangers not far behind, the league is a farce.

A couple of good years at Leicester - albeit with a couple of huge collapses in the league - but he's lost his way badly at Leicester for 2 years now and looked to be taking them down. He hasn't improved any of his flaws as a manager.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Romford_Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: April 4, 2023, 04:34:52 pm »
That ain't the middle ground bud, that's definitely more towards the section of our fans that hate him.

What is it with people on the internet who insist that they know how someone feels better than the person themselves?
I mean even if you disagree with the wording they used, it's pretty obvious what they mean, so why tell them otherwise?

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2058 on: April 4, 2023, 04:41:46 pm »
Never understood the unreasonable dislike some of our fans have towards Rodgers. He did far better than Kenny in his second spell, got us playing possession based passing football and almost won us the league playing swashbuckling attacking football.

He did not reach Rafa's heights, but he did reasonably well under the circumstances, which is why I am flummoxed by the stubborn desire by some to put him down at every opportunity.

With Hodgson, I can perfectly understand. With Rodgers, it is completely undeserved.
Phuk yoo

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: April 4, 2023, 04:43:16 pm »
C'mon, he's definitely above Souness as a manager. I'd put him on a similar level to Evans: played some great attacking football, provided some wonderful memories but ultimately didn't have what it takes to maintain a similar level as the elite teams. I actually think those were the two teams that were most fun to watch in my lifetime, even if the depth and defensive discipline wasn't quite there.

As a manager yeah but then Souness was a legend of a player, Evans was a club legend for what, half a century? In terms of how they're all seen in many years time...yeah I dont think its controversial to say he'd only be seen above Hodgson (well so far, thats not accounting for the next ten years where we have Scott Parker, Conte, Ronald Koeman and Graham Potter in charge at various points before Stevie rides to the rescue)

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: April 4, 2023, 07:08:30 pm »
What is it with people on the internet who insist that they know how someone feels better than the person themselves?
I mean even if you disagree with the wording they used, it's pretty obvious what they mean, so why tell them otherwise?
Because it's the internet, a toxic place full of people who think they're right.

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: April 4, 2023, 11:10:52 pm »
That's a bit of a miserable way to look at it, is it not? I mean, you'd have to be quite a joyless c*nt to look back on 13/14 and not give Rodgers a huge amount of credit for it. Of course it was a pisser we wound up falling short in the end, but the emotional ride he brought us on was unlike anything any manager had given us in almost quarter of a century. 02 and 09 under Ged and Rafa were great, but there was never really any point in either of those seasons where the possibility of actually winning it was palpable.

Rodgers gave us that taste. He truly made us dream. Which for someone like me, who was born in the early 80's, was the first time in my adult life where I experienced what it was like to see LFC but in a serious title challenge. Its also worth pointing out that as great as it was to have Kenny back in 2011, and as nostalgic as it was to win the League cup under him, we were an absolute shambles under him in the league. Club legend as he may be, we were in desperate need of reinvigoration by the time his 2nd full season ended. Anyone who says otherwise is just inventing their own version of reality

I'm not saying Rodgers is a world beater, or deserves impunity from his own mistakes as manager, but you can fuck right off with your Hodgson comparison. Genuinely do one   

Imagined writing an aggressive, sweary post, so you can favourably compare Rodgers to a great man liked Dalglish.

Dearie me.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: April 4, 2023, 11:21:22 pm »
Imagined writing an aggressive, sweary post, so you can favourably compare Rodgers to a great man liked Dalglish.

Dearie me.
You don't think we got much better after Rodgers took over? You'd have preferred another season with Hendo and Downing on the wings in a 4-4-2, Charlie Adam in the middle and Carroll up front?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: April 4, 2023, 11:21:50 pm »
He's better than Hodgson, but let's face it, that's a pretty low bar.

What we hate a lot about these merry go round managers is their damned fucking consistency - they're very good at doing a specific job for a brief period of time. Some, like Allardyce at Bolton or Moyes at Everton, can find a club where things click for an extended period of time; but most of the time they kick around for two or three seasons before moving on.

Rodgers likes to think of himself as a step above that - but has he shown anything in the English game to suggest that he is? He's got the FA Cup, which is more than plenty others can lay claim to, but his reputation is straying into overrated territory.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2064 on: April 5, 2023, 07:31:27 am »

Dearie me.

Spectacularly missed the point mate. That's all you got out of his post?
Phuk yoo

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: April 5, 2023, 12:54:43 pm »
The 13/14 league season is still the most fun I've had in my lifetime. It was a real Hollywood movie effort, against all the odds we put the run of a generation together. From obscurity to touching distance of the league title. Brendy took us to the cusp and he was humble as could be, getting the best out of old stalwarts and the new blood.

19/20 is always bitter sweet because of COVID. 08/09, 18/19, 21/22 we were close but all of them just felt like torture at times.

Good luck to him wherever he goes next, still a top manager. The board haven't backed him at Leicester at all.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #2066 on: April 5, 2023, 01:01:48 pm »
^^

yeah, totally agree, great post. I just can't get my head around some of the hatred for him, really over the top. I met him a few times with my kids, he'd jog around Melwood and stop on the way back in by the gates and talk to everyone and sign loads of stuff, lovely fella.

He came so close to winning the Title with us with some outrageous footy, brilliant season that. Wish him all the luck wherever he goes next.
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: April 5, 2023, 01:07:32 pm »
Speak for yourselves.  Personally,  I found 18-19 and 19-20 far more fun. ;)

I don't hate Rodgers, but I don't understand why it's frowned upon to offer some objective criticism to his time with us? Especially given the passage of time and his subsequent performances as a PL manager?

Of course there should be no reason to hate from purely a public perspective,  but should he be above criticism simply because he managed us?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2068 on: April 5, 2023, 01:17:00 pm »
Speak for yourselves. Personally,  I found 18-19 and 19-20 far more fun. ;)

I don't hate Rodgers, but I don't understand why it's frowned upon to offer some objective criticism to his time with us? Especially given the passage of time and his subsequent performances as a PL manager?

Of course there should be no reason to hate from purely a public perspective,  but should he be above criticism simply because he managed us?

same, and last season  ;D  Defo an ‘each to their own’ thing when I read someone saying that to this day was the most fun they’ve had from a footy season!

A few months of great fun football to end like that was something I wanted to forget rather than linger on too often.  Thankfully so many truly great memories have been made since so it’s barely a flicker in the old footy memory bank these days.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2069 on: April 5, 2023, 03:43:17 pm »

Objective criticism of anyone or anything is fine, but I think bringing the man's personal life into it, and even making outrageous suggestions like him being (inadvertently) responsible for another persons death by suicide is crossing the line.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: April 5, 2023, 03:48:44 pm »
A few months of fun football seems a bit of an understatement. We started pretty solid and unspectacular in the first few games, then got Suarez back and it was pretty regular carnage all season. From the start of Jan to the end of April we won 13 out of 16 and scored a fuck tonne of goals.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2071 on: April 5, 2023, 04:00:26 pm »
The 13/14 league season is still the most fun I've had in my lifetime. It was a real Hollywood movie effort, against all the odds we put the run of a generation together. From obscurity to touching distance of the league title. Brendy took us to the cusp and he was humble as could be, getting the best out of old stalwarts and the new blood.

19/20 is always bitter sweet because of COVID. 08/09, 18/19, 21/22 we were close but all of them just felt like torture at times.

Good luck to him wherever he goes next, still a top manager. The board haven't backed him at Leicester at all.
Thanks for this, bit of sense and perspective.

Probably not the most fun in my life but yeah it was great, We were in the race until maybe December and then kind of forgotten about, just kind of happy to accept top 4 then all of a sudden BOOM we were back in. Every game was like a big adventure, I remember like yesterday.

Felt like it was going to be our time and it should have been. The other three seasons were a lot of fun, 21/22 was mad stressful at times, have to admit I was putting my family second, I even withdrew from one or two events.

19/20 was great but Covid definitely got in the way and took away a bit of fun, I mean we didnt get to raise the trophy in front of anyone and no open top bus etc.

Agree with the last part as they sold way more than what he spent last summer

Objective criticism of anyone or anything is fine, but I think bringing the man's personal life into it, and even making outrageous suggestions like him being (inadvertently) responsible for another persons death by suicide is crossing the line.
Agree, that needs to stop
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2072 on: April 5, 2023, 04:23:52 pm »

If it’s not objective criticism people have every right to question it. There is so much blindness from some, for example not wanting to give the guy any credit for that year we almost won the League being a case in point. Just utter tripe.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2073 on: April 5, 2023, 05:30:31 pm »
If it’s not objective criticism people have every right to question it. There is so much blindness from some, for example not wanting to give the guy any credit for that year we almost won the League being a case in point. Just utter tripe.

But surely Rodgers' track record in the PL since then shows that season was something of a fluke?  An (almost) perfect storm?

His inability to build on that season - that the Suarez money was not spent wisely, that he didn't rate players who became stalwarts under his successor, that he now has a clear track record of starting well but deteriorating as time goes by - does that not open up his one "successful" season with us to greater scrutiny?

It was fun at the time, but ended in a gut wrenching fashion. For me, it needs perspective and the greater context of what Brendan has achieved in his managerial career.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: April 5, 2023, 05:49:12 pm »
But surely Rodgers' track record in the PL since then shows that season was something of a fluke?  An (almost) perfect storm?

His inability to build on that season - that the Suarez money was not spent wisely, that he didn't rate players who became stalwarts under his successor, that he now has a clear track record of starting well but deteriorating as time goes by - does that not open up his one "successful" season with us to greater scrutiny?

It was fun at the time, but ended in a gut wrenching fashion. For me, it needs perspective and the greater context of what Brendan has achieved in his managerial career.
What context? Going on to manage the most domestically successful Scottish side ever and taking a midtable team to the FA Cup and two top five finishes? It's not like his career has been a series of failures.

Think the rest is somewhat unfair too. He clearly didn't want Balotelli and Sturridge getting injured left him with no viable strikers and a bunch of attacking midfielders he needed to bed in. As for these neglected stalwarts, not sure who that is. He made Hendo captain and brought Gomez into the team while Firmino, Lallana, Lovren and Can were regular starters.

Admittedly, I am a little biased because 2013-14 was my most enjoyable season too, probably along with 2017-18, which also ended badly. But I remember that period very vividly.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #2075 on: April 5, 2023, 06:08:03 pm »
What context? Going on to manage the most domestically successful Scottish side ever and taking a midtable team to the FA Cup and two top five finishes? It's not like his career has been a series of failures.

Think the rest is somewhat unfair too. He clearly didn't want Balotelli and Sturridge getting injured left him with no viable strikers and a bunch of attacking midfielders he needed to bed in. As for these neglected stalwarts, not sure who that is. He made Hendo captain and brought Gomez into the team while Firmino, Lallana, Lovren and Can were regular starters.

Admittedly, I am a little biased because 2013-14 was my most enjoyable season too, probably along with 2017-18, which also ended badly. But I remember that period very vividly.

Yeah all fair - had the Rodgers argument on here before but really there isn't tons to debate he's objectively a very good coach whose teams have played some excellent football and whose over acheived his wage bill at every club he's been at

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: April 5, 2023, 06:14:15 pm »

And Steven Gerrard took Rangers to the title as a rookie manager. Yes, Rodgers did well in Scotland, but let's not pretend it's on a par with the Premier League for quality, especially if you're managing Celtic. Now if he did an Alex Ferguson and won the title with Aberdeen, then that's more noteworthy.

I never said his career had been a series of failures. I said his Premier League career had exposed his shortcomings as a manager, and that having one good season with him at Liverpool where we still won nothing shouldn't be an obstacle to a pragmatic view of his abilities.

As for Henderson - you mean the guy Rodgers wanted to offload to Fulham? And as I recall, he signed Benteke? And although he played Bobby, did he know how to use him?

I don't think anything that I'm saying is unwarranted or unjust criticism. I do believe that people are letting one almost-good season colour their perception about Rodgers' managerial ability.

And really - what is it with people saying seasons that ended badly are their most enjoyable seasons?  FFS we trounced Barcelona 4-0 at Anfield, won the European Cup, and stormed to our first title in 30 years the following season - but no, the seasons that ripped our collective hearts out are somehow more memorable?? I don't know what it is with some people.

Popcorn's Art

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: April 5, 2023, 06:37:51 pm »
And really - what is it with people saying seasons that ended badly are their most enjoyable seasons?  FFS we trounced Barcelona 4-0 at Anfield, won the European Cup, and stormed to our first title in 30 years the following season - but no, the seasons that ripped our collective hearts out are somehow more memorable?? I don't know what it is with some people.

I still stand by it, I never actually believed I'd see us win the title in my lifetime until 13-14. That's one of the reasons it's still the most memorable for me.

Also a lot of enjoying football can be about where you are personally, how much you are invested in it at the time. Objectively obviously winning a European Cup trumps any non trophy winning season. But in 13/14, going to the games more, being with good mates, last minute winners, nights out afterwards, there's so much more to it than just the trophy at the end of it.

Brendy made us believe again, Klopp made it reality.

You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #2078 on: April 5, 2023, 06:41:11 pm »
And Steven Gerrard took Rangers to the title as a rookie manager. Yes, Rodgers did well in Scotland, but let's not pretend it's on a par with the Premier League for quality, especially if you're managing Celtic. Now if he did an Alex Ferguson and won the title with Aberdeen, then that's more noteworthy.

I never said his career had been a series of failures. I said his Premier League career had exposed his shortcomings as a manager, and that having one good season with him at Liverpool where we still won nothing shouldn't be an obstacle to a pragmatic view of his abilities.

As for Henderson - you mean the guy Rodgers wanted to offload to Fulham? And as I recall, he signed Benteke? And although he played Bobby, did he know how to use him?

I don't think anything that I'm saying is unwarranted or unjust criticism. I do believe that people are letting one almost-good season colour their perception about Rodgers' managerial ability.

Yep, anyone could have won trophy's as Celtic manager when Rodgers was Celtic manager, Rodgers short term he's ok but long term his teams start underperforming & he seems unable to turn things around, but Leicester did win the FA cup when he was their manager.

Although i do think Rodgers would still have been Liverpool manager until at least the end of 16/17 season, had Klopp not been available.
#Sausages

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2079 on: April 5, 2023, 06:43:04 pm »

Who?  :o