Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 v Brighton 3 Trossard 4', 17', 83', Bobby 33', 52', Webster 62'  (Read 39207 times)

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
Feels like a vicious circle of being individually off the pace which means we're collectively off the pace which means we're even more individually off the pace.

Its been a glaring feature of this season how disorganised and chaotic we look, both individually and collectively. Gaps everywhere, slow to recover shape, rushing/forcing/misplacing simple possession into turnovers. Could call it all poor understanding or decision making relative to how the team should play. The kinds of things you'd expect from a new squad or a new manager, which makes the problems we're having so baffling.

It must be fatigue related, why we're finding things that should be second nature so difficult, because we haven't suddenly wiped 7 years of playing under Klopp out of the squad's memory. Hopefully we manage to recover before its too late in the season for it to be meaningful, but fully expect the World Cup to make things worse rather than better.

Online HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Are we now one of the oldest teams in the league? Seems we have more 30+ players than most teams.

That’s what happens with minimal backing/spending year in year out. Rely on your players till they’re run into the ground without a plan in place to replace them.

We’re still heavily reliant on salah, firmino, Henderson, Thiago, matip VVD who are all over 30. It’s absolutely fucking nuts we allowed it to get like this.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Where did I say we played well? I have said from the start of this season that it wouldn't surprise me if we do struggle this season, and this is what is happening. When you have as many players out of form like we have, there are no miracle answers. It's just hard work on the training pitch, but funnily enough with games to play and a bloody world cup stuck in teh middle there is no preparation time. So, we are all going to have to be patient.

You didn't say we played well. But they literally got punished for a mistake for our 3rd. We got away with several mistakes. Trents horrible header into the middle of the box and Milners suicide ball  are the first two that spring to mind.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
So when are we actually going to invest in a midfield?

apparently, Klopp will be given a war chest next summer to strengthen the team. Expect big transfer window

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Cool.

Let’s leave our marquee signing on the bench.

We scored three goals today and Jota is our best striker. Attacking is not an issue.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nunez should start. Mad how many people have turned against him already. Needs a run of games. Can’t get my head round some of Klopp’s subs today.
all the players who were forwards today played better than nunez played the position pre internationals, so i don't think i share the rush to start him.

if we're looking to give experience to new players and transition ahead of firmino's departure, i'd personally prefer carvalho to be the one starting (like today). plus diaz and jota will be back to being able to start games

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
We scored three goals today and Jota is our best striker. Attacking is not an issue.

Fair point.

No idea how to fix this shit though so just venting.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
apparently, Klopp will be given a war chest next summer to strengthen the team. Expect big transfer window

Klopp doesnt come out of this without criticism. He pushed for a midfielder at the end.

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
weak midfield will do no Favors for even the best defence and the reason trent is not playing well is because of the midfield .. its alway protected him now hes exposed ... going to be a hard season but i trust klopp and at some point the owners will back him last thing they want is a team thats not making $$$ or being worth $$$ ...

dont understand the hate for elliot tho or darwin (who only got 7 mins)  just my 2p
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Mad game. Did really well to grind our way back into it and take the lead, but you still felt we’d probably want another to be safe. And despite them doing almost nothing of note in the second half so it turned out.

So many individuals not quite on it. You can get away with 2-3 out of 11 but at the moment it’s 7-8 most games. Just can’t build up any momentum.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
The most concerning thing is that we've had a relatively kind fixture list so far - both in terms of opponents and congestion. We've played a single top 8 side (and lost). We've failed to beat teams who finished 9th, 12th, 16th, 18th last season. We're now entering the busiest month of the season with 8 further games to play this month, and a squad that already looks absolutely on its arse - it's likely going to get worse. This isn't a team that just needs to click tactically, it's an aging team who has lost its legs (and in some cases seemingly hunger/motivation) who are huffing and puffing and managing not an awful lot.

I just don't see how this team suddenly goes on a run.

The weirdest thing about our team is that it's during a crowded fixture list that we tend to play our best. But that was before we decided to forget how to actually play football. Perhaps having to really step up will bring out the form, as we just can't repeat this against the top 2. But I won't lie, I'm almost afraid to watch them.

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
Hopefully we start playing late on Sunday or Monday. Would rather not ruin my weekend.

Offline Snusmumriken

• Kopite
  • Don't believe everything you think
Kind of feels like we're at that moment when Klopps magic for some reason or another suddenly isn't enough to make up for the lack of investment and still compete with our free spending rivals. Hoping I'm wrong but it's quite hard to see how we're going to claw ourselves back to the top with even less investment and pull if we miss the Champions League.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
Nunez now needs a run in the side.

He can’t be expected to work wonders playing for six minutes.

He doesn’t Bobby is playing well and Jota is probably a better striker at the moment.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
You didn't say we played well. But they literally got punished for a mistake for our 3rd. We got away with several mistakes. Trents horrible header into the middle of the box and Milners suicide ball  are the first two that spring to mind.

Both teams made mistakes throughout the game, they got away with other errors and so did we. We are too open at the moment; I would personally take Trent out of his advanced role as I think it's causing confusion.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan

If and I think we can all agree there is a massive chance we don’t make the top 4 the players we want ie bellingham etc aren’t going to come to a non champions league team, the club has fucked up
Here massively.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Damn just saw the result … glad I’m not bothering to tune in much this season. Gorged on so many great times and success that my belly is a bit full. I can handle a turd season 😂
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?

:lmao  :thumbup

(I'm assuming you're joking)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
Somehow the talk has shifted to shitting on Nunez in his seven-minute cameo after we've conceded three completely avoidable shit goals. Nunez isn't the fucking problem.

Yeah it’s crazy really the issues in attack aren’t anywhere near as big currently. I think anyone would be happy to other any combination of our 5 senior attackers playing together in a front 3/4. The issues are in midfield we’ve gotten old and slow and desperately need a major overhaul and defensively we’re playing way too open considering the lack of form or cohesiveness as a team.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mad game. Did really well to grind our way back into it and take the lead, but you still felt we’d probably want another to be safe. And despite them doing almost nothing of note in the second half so it turned out.

So many individuals not quite on it. You can get away with 2-3 out of 11 but at the moment it’s 7-8 most games. Just can’t build up any momentum.

I literally  said we need a fourth goal when we went 3-2 ahead. Especially after the subs came on I was convinced they'd score.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Damn just saw the result … glad I’m not bothering to tune in much this season. Gorged on so many great times and success that my belly is a bit full. I can handle a turd season 😂

There will be no miracle answers this season, that's for sure. Such is life.

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
All very strange…..this was pretty much our first choice midfield and defence.

But I’ve never seen our defence exposed by our midfield…very odd.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think to be in with a shot of top 4 we need to win at least 4 of our next 7 games before the world cup, and maybe another draw there. The do something in January.

We are so far off the pace (both in points and in play) and don't look like we can get back on anytime soon.

And thing is, I don't even think this is down to Mane going, or Nunez, or not buying a midfielder (to a point). I think we needed more investment in midfield the last few years, but a new midfielder isn't going to fix this right now. 2 maybe won't even fix it.

I don't know what you do to the defence or the complete loss of pace, the complete loss of pressing, and just not being able to create.

I think this is a long term problem coming to roost, but I have no idea how we can possibly fix this to avoid setting the team back 5 years and having to do a full rebuild now. If we don't make top 4, which is a real possibility it seems, then that's exactly what we have, a total restart

Offline Caps4444

• Legacy Fan
I literally  said we need a fourth goal when we went 3-2 ahead. Especially after the subs came on I was convinced they'd score.

I thought they battered us chasing an equaliser….and it was coming.

Online Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
Would love to know what the instructions for Henderson and Trent are at the moment. I’ve seen the same type of goal scored against us at least 5 times this season.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
I’m not really arsed about top four. I’d just like to see us get back to a consistent, confident, solid team by the middle of the season. That’s the most important thing. If we’re still knocking about in the CL or cups then great. Forget the league it’s long gone. I’m more than happy to sacrifice that to build the team back up.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
When is the next international break?

Not soon enough.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline redintweed

• Anny Roader
Pretty tough watch that. Exciting for the neutrals, but tough for us reds to watch. We looked so leggy from the opening whistle. I know we had players jetting in late from a million miles away, but we looked off the pace early doors.

We did ever so well to get the lead back after going 2 down. But I felt every time Brighton went forward they were chance of scoring. Thank fuck they had Danny Welbeck on the end of some of those chances. He butchered 2 or 3 great opportunities.

Defensively, we look a mess. As much as it pains me to say it, VVD looks a shadow of his former self. The last goal he should of cleared easily but had an air swing. Even Matip was caught out a couple of times. We’ve heard all about TAA via the media, but to me, he sometimes looks disinterested. He is caught out of position all too often. I get that he gives us that attacking threat, but no player in our team loses/gives the ball away more than Trent. I’m not sure what the answer is there. Hopefully Jurgen can sort out the back 4. Thank Christ we have Ali. He conceded 3 and could have been our best player today.

Mo seems to have completely lost his first touch. But he just keeps on showing for the ball and it just didn’t happen for him today. He never gave up and kept having a crack, but in fairness was handled well by the Brighton defence. Fabs also looked very leggy. His first touch was atrocious at times and at times, Brighton went past him way too easily.

But the positives, it was great to see Bobby back in the goals. Diaz was a handful when he came on as well. Thiago is just class. He keeps getting out of sticky situations so easily. He just needs help in there. Already mentioned Ali. Probably close to being the best keeper in the world at the moment. I get the substitution of the Greek Scouser, even though it looked bonkers at the time. He will be playing lots of minutes over the next few games until Robbo is back. He was our pick of the defenders before he went off. Gives his all every minute of the game.

On the balance of it all, Brighton deserved a point, even if their keeper made a few really decent saves. It’s hard to argue any other way, even with our red tinted glasses on. We had more shots and possession, yes, but they could or should, have been 4 up after 30 with better finishing. Jurgen needs to find another gear for the squad. We are too good a team to be mid table. Top 4 is now the target and we need to improve a hell of a lot to get there.

Plenty of football over the next month to work things out. Couple of good results against Arsenal and City and the whole feeling around the club will change for the better.
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 05:49:33 pm by redintweed »
I'd rather play for Liverpool Reserves than Everton.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
He doesn’t Bobby is playing well and Jota is probably a better striker at the moment.
Hasn’t Jota gone about 20 games without scoring?

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
God knows how many goals we’d concede without Alisson. Imagine were we would be. Doesn’t bare thinking about.

Offline Gili Gulu

• Looking forward to seeing the Golden Sky
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The number of times this season that we regularly see the opposition bearing down on our goal with 3 vs 2 or 4 vs 3 is striking.

It also seems obvious to me that people have noticed Trent has been targeted in every game, yet we keep gambling that his form will turn and his creativity will counterbalance how open we are down our right-hand side. The way Trent's form has slumped that's got to be a gamble any PL coach has got to take.

I think we'd be better off telling Trent to be more conservative, and go back to having a midfiielder cover him far more closely, surely something we'll do in the next games against Arsenal and City.

A few years ago every now and then we'd play Shaqiri or Bobby as the third attacking midfielder, and we'd always be far too open and teams would find it too easy to play through us. Why we persist with playing Elliot in that role is a mystery to me. He's great on the ball but we're far too open when we lose possession.
Gili Gulu. (嘰哩咕嚕) means saying something no-one understands but yourself; a little rambling or a silly language between friends

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
Season is a write off from a league perspective.  Reminds me of when we were defender-less a couple of seasons ago.

Same issue but midfield, and sadly those we have bought in this season have simply put not been as good as the players we've sold.

Add in that we have also sold a lot of our true-and-tested squad players in Origi and Minamino who would normally more than adequately cover in a stick situation, and it illustrates just how much damage has been done on the recruitment side of things.

The league table, and our performances, don't lie.

We still have the quality to win some trophies. Top 4 is going to be tough but hopefully the lads can turn it around ASAP.

We have some great, young talent which will surely pay dividends in the next few years. But we also have some aging players too - so we're in a tough situation where we're in transition, but we're also holding some players in their late 20s who might leave their prime.

There were a couple of easy purchases IMO (Coutinho, Eriksen) who would not have cost much but would have provided some depth and creativity we needed. Sadly seems like we were a bit complacent and cocky to want the 'right player' and waiting a season for Bellingham might be the wrong decision as in our current state, he'll probably go elsewhere. 

Offline lollysportswasher

• Wants us to accept the reality that Liverpool will never sign another player.
  • Kopite
Why did we buy Nunez then, if he's getting a cameo in the second half ? Why not buy a young striker that doesn't mind getting benched for cheap and just invest the money into 2 good midfielders which we can use ?
« Last Edit: October 1, 2022, 05:38:30 pm by lolowalsh »

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
No... but generally, this many players playing badly for this long suggests something else is going on. Not, I think, that they're pissed off with a lack of investment either. Psychological or tactical. Whichever it is, by definition pretty much the role of the manager  to fix.
I don’t think it’s primarily psychological or tactical to be honest Mark.

The easily most glaring feature of our performances this season is that oppositions look stronger, fitter and sharper.

In our pomp we overwhelmed teams with our energy and pressing, often winning possession in their defensive third, pinging the ball about from front to back, flank to flank, and looking overall quicker, fitter and mentally, as well as physically, sharper.

We have been since the start of the season subdued, sluggish, and a very pale shadow of our best.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline aoaaron

• Clueless
  • Kopite
Why did we buy Nunez then, if he's being getting a cameo in the second half ? Why not buy a young striker that doesn't mind getting benched for cheap and just invest the money into 2 good midfielders which we can use ?

We needed a Mane replacement. The purchase of a forward  is fine.

It just seems like either he's not fit or Klopp is not confident or happy in what he's seeing on the training pitch.

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
Both teams made mistakes throughout the game, they got away with other errors and so did we. We are too open at the moment; I would personally take Trent out of his advanced role as I think it's causing confusion.

It's clearly a deliberate tactic, and to be fair to Trent it's not doing him any favours whatsoever. Even after today's shitshow he has to start against Rangers, but in his conventional position that has worked so well up to now. This midfield drifting is causing carnage and even a team as bad as Rangers will look to exploit it.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Pure 90’s vibes from our defence right now.
AHA!

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Why did we buy Nunez then, if he's being getting a cameo in the second half ? Why not buy a young striker that doesn't mind getting benched for cheap and just invest the money into 2 good midfielders which we can use ?

We wouldn't be able to get 2 midfielders for the quality we need for 80 million. What we needed is Nunez and money for another midfielder. If we bought a midfielder and not an attacker after Mane left, we would likely hit the same problem in the end of being short in attack costing us points.

We needed at least double the money we spent this summer, and it's going to cost us significantly more to fix the problem now. The way the team looks I think we need to spend about 200-250 million to get what we need in, which we should have spent over the last 3 or so years rather than 1 or 2 windows now

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
I don’t think it’s primarily psychological or tactical to be honest Mark.

The easily most glaring feature of our performances this season is that oppositions look stronger, fitter and sharper.

In our pomp we overwhelmed teams with our energy and pressing, often winning possession in their defensive third, pinging the ball about from front to back, flank to flank, and looking overall quicker, fitter and mentally, as well as physically, sharper.

We have been since the start of the season subdued, sluggish, and a very pale shadow of our best.

Which is the least surprising thing for me considering last season, the early start this season and the number of games that teams are going to have to play. This is not going to help us at all.

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
I may get flamed for this - but I felt that we were going to lose this game today. So, a draw is kind of a mixed feeling of being glad we did not to being annoyed about how we are playing.  There is something just not right at the moment and it is not just one reason. You cannot concede 3 goals at home and expect to win the game or the premiership!  We all have complained about the lack of investment in our midfield, but the defence and forward line are not functioning that well either!

Glad for Bobby Firmino today after all the criticism he has received. 

On the bright side, we are not out of the title race yet as this season is still young. Also, we are still in all the cups. So onwards and upwards.